TV Game of Thrones Season 4

leggy

Probably Scottish
Well it finished better than it started and I personally fucking loved the finale.
The fight between The Hound and Brienne was brilliant and I nearly shed a tear when she finally knocked him over the edge.

Can someone who has read the books remind me of something please (It has been 11 years since I read the first few):
Did Jamie help Tyrion escape in the book? I don't remember it happening like that and I've been having this argument with my girlfriend

Gray

FH is my second home
Yeah Jaime helped Tyrion out - But in the book there was a huge arguement which caused Tyrion to hate Jaime, because Jaime told the truth about Tyrion's first wife Tysha (That she wasn't actually a whore, and she did actually love him) - This is why in the books at least, i think, that Tyrion first went up into Tywin's room - Then he found Shae and it all went to shit quickly - But i don't think he ever forgave Jaime for it

ileks

Part of the furniture
Yeah Jaime helped Tyrion out - But in the book there was a huge arguement which caused Tyrion to hate Jaime, because Jaime told the truth about Tyrion's first wife Tysha (That she wasn't actually a whore, and she did actually love him) - This is why in the books at least, i think, that Tyrion first went up into Tywin's room - Then he found Shae and it all went to shit quickly - But i don't think he ever forgave Jaime for it

Yep. I seem to remember him telling Jaime he killed Joffrey as well?

edit- BOOK SPOILER, although safe to people who are up to date with the TV show and don't want to read them.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Yep. I seem to remember him telling Jaime he killed Joffrey as well?

edit- BOOK SPOILER, although safe to people who are up to date with the TV show and don't want to read them.
Yeah he lied to try and hurt Jaime as much as possible, also told him about Cersei fucking Kettleblack, Lancel and Moonboy (for all he knows)
In the books Jaime forces Varys to help at sword point, not that he seemed to upset to help

ileks

Part of the furniture
Yeah he lied to try and hurt Jaime as much as possible, also told him about Cersei fucking Kettleblack, Lancel and Moonboy (for all he knows)
In the books Jaime forces Varys to help at sword point, not that he seemed to upset to help

Have you read Dunk and Egg yet?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I always feel a season finale should end with a big battle but we got that in episode 9, and episode 10, while less viscerally stimulating, left us very much looking forward to Season 5 next year. A very enjoyable season imo.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The problem is that book five isn't that good. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
They will surely combine the last two somehow.

They will have to otherwise they have nothing of interest to film for the next few seasons. Honestly the last two books aren't very good, especially when compared to the first 4. They are basically 3000 pages of filler until the last parts of book 6 when stuff starts to happen again.

ileks

Part of the furniture
The other worrying thing is unless they make books 4 and 5 into three or more seasons, they will have caught up with the books in three years at the most. What will they do then?

edit- unless the next book is a monster that they can drag out for two or three seasons like they did with book three. This isn't possible with books 4&5 unless they want their ratings to go to shit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I wouldn't say they were shit, they haven't really got the material for many cliff hangers or epic battles though. They might be able to take the best bits from both and make 10-15 episodes.

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
Completely disagree that books four and five are shit, they certainly have some shit chapters that drag on, but tonnes of interesting stuff does happen. Not so sure it would translate to TV though.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A lot of book four stuff has already been covered, its really the whole Ironborn bit, Samwell's journey and post-Tywin King's Landing that need to still be covered (Arya is across both), as they've clearly dropped the whole Lady Stoneheart stuff. I'm not even sure the ironborn subplot is going to be explored as much. I also hoped the Dorne subplot was going to be binned, but it seems not from a lot of the casting calls. I would imagine series 5 will finish off the rest of the book four plots but be really focused around A Dance With Dragons, because its a. more interesting, b. got more Tyrion.

The biggest problem will be that half the book is people wandering about in the snow not finding each other; they'll have tighten all that shit up and please God pare down the Dornish and Ironborn plots because they're dull as dishwater

I'm assuming Winds of Winter will come out during Season five, but then they'll be caught up, which is going to be interesting...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Is The Hound really dead?

As for as we know, yes. It was actually not done as well in the books - no Brienne fight - but Arya left him for dead and we haven't seen him again. So there is still some ambiguity

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
I really enjoyed the Dorne chapters personally, agree the Ironborn chapters drag in parts although I didn't hate them like everyone else seems to.

Vae

Resident Freddy
As for as we know, yes. It was actually not done as well in the books - no Brienne fight - but Arya left him for dead and we haven't seen him again. So there is still some ambiguity
The current theory is that the 'Hound' is dead but Sandor Clegane is alive. He is probably/possibly the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle when Brienne and Pod visit it and find his horse there. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Gravedigger/Theories However the TV series has already changed several parts of the story related to this so who knows.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I thought he was the best character tbh :/

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah Toms little blurt was a bit off, i thought something different until then. Not that it -really- matters. Would suggest marking book spoilers indeed, some of us are watching it raw so to speak.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
The show spelled it out tho so wouldn't really call it a spoiler. Its the same as saying one day i think the humans will fight the wights! It hasn't happened yet on the show but everything in the show is pointing towards the fact it will

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The show spelled it out tho so wouldn't really call it a spoiler

It didn't actually, there's plenty of ways to look at it -if- you know nothing about the series.

And especially in the case of game of thrones one thing is key here; thinking something will happen because the show points at it and knowing something happens because you're told are two different mindsets.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Out of curiosity then what did you think was going to happen/ the coin stuff meant?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Out of curiosity then what did you think was going to happen/ the coin stuff meant?

I'm in complete agreement, Tom revealed nothing that watching the show didn't reveal.

Toh probably thought she was going to train to be a sword dancer :) which is understandable, however the iron coin which was given to her by Jaqen H’ghar in Harenhall was they key.

Pay more attention ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just to be on the safe side;

Where exactly did it say "Here's a coin for assassin training ferry ride"? Just going by what was shown on TV. I want to know how that is "crystal clear".

From what was seen on last episode;

I really really want to go north. Do anything, don't need cabin.
Not going north, bravos.
Here's an iron coin.
Ofcourse you shall have a cabin.

Even their destination after that was unclear.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Jagen the Assassin told her that if she wanted to be like him then she needed to find a man from Bravos , give him the special coin and say the special words and he would take her to the island his order came from. This was from Season 2? i think and i presume it doesn't need spoiler tags because people who have not seen Season 2 must be crazy to be browsing Season 4 thread!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Must've missed it then. Can't really blame me after, what, 2 years and 500 plotlines later :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I just remembered it as some kind of "if you're in trouble" magical bauble or some such. In this instance i remembered the guy giving him the coin and thinking "Ah ok, persuaded the captain to go north with that".

At the time the whole talk of assassin training was mentioned in passing in a minor plotline(again, to those watching TV) so quite easy to ignore from the GoT memory storage.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
In any case, yeah, fair does and all, not a spoiler but wouldn't have been anyway. Without it we wouldn't have had this lovely reminder discussion so it's kind of an anti-spoiler. In a way, and not, spoilertag stuff damnit :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm in complete agreement, Tom revealed nothing that watching the show didn't reveal.

Just to point out, I haven't read the books. Her path seems quite plain to me though - she's always been interested in fighting, now she wants to learn how to kill everyone who's wronged her family. Mr Melty Face should be able to help her with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom