Free levels - once a week

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Except the vast majority of 50's are never played for whatever reasons...pve farmer, playing an alt, bbot, crafter etc.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
The average RP thing is prolly true I guess, but then theres over 50 rr10L10 people on euro servers, this is counting only midgard.. not the other 2 realms oO
And I wouldnt call a 10L10 char anywhere near average. With maybe 200 of them all on 8mil rp + it does kinda unbalance the average? :p

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
We are implementing a system where all characters will now be granted a free level every seven days, assuming the character has attained a level by standard methods in that time. In other words, if you play regularly and attain at least one level in a seven day period, you'll be given a free one, as well as some coin.

Hate to burst peoples bubbles but read all of the post, no free level 50's. If your stuck at 46 they'll give you 47 but you still need to level normally to 48 to get 49 free. (or minis maybe depending on how they implement it)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Rulke said:
Except the vast majority of 50's are never played for whatever reasons...pve farmer, playing an alt, bbot, crafter etc.

+ those were the stats for recently played toons. If you look at the stats for toons played in the last few weeks it drops to about 350k average realm points.

Shame there is no breakdown of # of characters by realm rank.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic needs to play on the strenghts of DAoC, i.e. RvR. There are games out at present, and there will be even more shortly, that do PvE better than DAoC.

Remove PvP totally from daoc and you have a game that is inferior to games such as EQ1, SWG, AC, WoW and most likely EQ2. It's the mix of PvE and RvR that makes DAoC so great (with an emphazis on RvR id say, taking into account the previous sentence). Therefore, any change that gives new players or casuall players easier access to RvR is a good chanse.
Ive seen countless of newbies join DAoC and leave within a month since they wanted the RvR aspect promised them by DAoC advertisments, only to discover they were worthless in it because they didnt have the necessary time invested in PvE.

And consider this: PvE is at present necessary to do RvR - RvR is *not* necessary to do PvE so i fail to see why players such as Svartmetall are concerned about those wanting RvR getting an easier time doing so. Its very simple - if you want PvE, do PvE, if you want RvR, do RvR. All that these changes are doing is making the choise easier.

edit: spelling

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
And consider this: PvE is at present necessary to do RvR - RvR is *not* necessary to do PvE

It's more like:

And consider this: PvE is at present necessary to do RvR if you want to compete at a decent level - RvR is necessary to do PvE if you want to compete level

Also for the people wanting stats try this:

http://www.dev-elements.net/gatherer/ShowServerRanks.aspx?strServer=Merlin

It is a breakdown of the number of the number of active, guilded, non-anon, level 45-50s characters per realm rank on the Merlin server by realm and class (no support for EU servers but Merlin is one of the more active US servers I think). Interestingly the great majority of all characters appear to be RR1-RR3 as people have been suggesting. RR2 is the most populated.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Like I said, the huge majority of 50's arent played. Most ppl have 3+ chars and only RvR 1 at a time.

NetNifty

Fledgling Freddie
Give 100k rps per bub of xp past 50 imo, and extra if the realm is underpopulated. With increased xp in rvr in NF it would mean that RvRers would gain too, and they're getting rps while they usually would anyway, and would mean that you get some while xping artis too. Would also mean that people who don't like RvR can still advance thier chars past mls and artis etc.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Give 100k rps per bub of xp past 50 imo, and extra if the realm is underpopulated.

..again, doesn´t support the casual player, but the hardcore gamer instead.

NetNifty

Fledgling Freddie
The idea was to balance the rps for PvErs and RvRs slightly but still a good point.

I like Svart's idea of giving free rsps while levelling, like the PvE server - will definatly narrow the gap when beginning rvr - however i think they should implement it so you gain the rps u need to get to the RR which the rsps are given, otherwise we'll just end up with the same just higher up.

Edit: And ofcourse adjust BG caps accordingly.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Oro said:
Of course. Still made me chuckle. Main difference is that WoW will have it integrated seamlessly from the start and Mythic have to shoehorn it into an existing structure, which is never as neat.

At the risk of nitpicking I'd like to point out that WoW has seen quite a few years worth of player feedback from pioneering games such as Daoc. It may take them a while but Mythic are responding to player comments and I applaud that :)

I wouldn't have stayed with this game so long if I didn't believe it had "something special" and with all the new content and interesting new and pretty things to try I can't see myself leaving anytime soon.

I still would like to see the old zones revamped though :p

Also another interesting feature might be to make the "baby RvR", the battlegrounds matter so that all the new people who are making use of these playgrounds have a sense of being a part of and aiding the realm, because that is basically the end game.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
NetNifty said:
The idea was to balance the rps for PvErs and RvRs slightly but still a good point.

I like Svart's idea of giving free rsps while levelling, like the PvE server - will definatly narrow the gap when beginning rvr - however i think they should implement it so you gain the rps u need to get to the RR which the rsps are given, otherwise we'll just end up with the same just higher up.

Edit: And ofcourse adjust BG caps accordingly.
Highlight by me.

This is where hardcore PvE'ers go wrong imo. The recent changes Mytich are working mean one thing: they make it easier to get to RvR.
If they would make an analogous change to please PvE'ers it would have to be to make the first realm skill points come quicker, i.e. to lessen the ammount of rp needed for the first ranks (say rr5L0 at 300k rp instead of 500 or some such). That would be a fair change for those that do not like PvP - they would still have to do it to gain the benefits, just as RvR'ers have to do PvE to gain benefits from that.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I'm one of those moderately elderly low RR guys. Once keep taking and defending starts helping me get realm points, that should start to change sharpish. Roll on NF.

Darzil

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Aoln said:
Can you make a char you dont play and get the free lvl every week? lvl50 in 30 weeks \o/ :(

nope

u need 2 get 1 lvl in 7 days, and then u get 1 free level so ud get lvl 50 in 15 weeks. OR u could go 20-30 in a week, 30-31 free, 30-3x, 3x-3y free etc. imo this free level will really pay off at higher lvls at say 45 when it takes 1hr with buffbot chaining oranges for a bub or so (least it did for me :() or uber for 48-49 in 1 week, then play ur main in rvr for a week, then DING 50 :) think thats how it works :) or atleast thats how i c it (will this effect auto train?)

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Thats pure daft, read up what players doing beta on wow are saying atm, poor RvR, too easy PvE, crap quest engines, predictable combat....

When SWG came out there was a mad rush for it, they all came back. Same goes for Horizons, Eve, City of Heros etc etc etc. If we got a pound for everyone who said "WoW will wtfpwnd DAoC" id be rich, and Mythic are staying rich by still providing the best balanced PvE and PvP system game on the market and for the foreseeable future. Theres nothing out yet that gives just enough of all the right ingredients to keep 300,000 ppl happy. Its a fact, get used to it and stop kidding yourself differently.
^ So true.:worthy:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Rulke said:
I'm sick of your incessant whining about RvR even though you've never actually tried it seriously. Just cos your talents only extent to bashing mobs with crap and predictable AI over and over doesn't mean others should be denied a little actual challenge and fun.

and u dont think that running into the same fking fixed rvr groups that have their set playstyle every bloody day isnt predictable?? if u fight a number of set groups enuff times u KNOW how they play and what their prioritys are. thats the same as comparing with "crap and predictable AI"

Gamah

Banned
I think Svart is seriously misguided..and needs to get off his high horse! You seem to think that everyone over RR5 is a "1337 kiddie" and PvEer's are superior.

Accept the fact that some people like PvE, others like RvR and stop trying to impose your way of playing on everyone else. You make out as if everyone that likes RvR should play quake or another FPS. Well they dont want to play Quake they want to play Daoc RvR so stop your insesent bitching, it quite frankly pains me to read.

Stop thinking your way is superior to everyone elses, just because apprantly "RvR does not gain enough return for your time" does not mean it sucks! Its about fun and a serious challenge for most people who find PvE dull and predictable after countless hours doing it from 1-50 + toa etc. The same way people find PvE challenging (I found a way to kill SoM encounter with 3 people etc), people also find RvR a challenge (I solo'd a fg of albs rez sick and OOM as my Spirit Master ;)).

You seem to be adopting the same "1337" mentality as you claim to dispise in the "RvR 1337 kiddiez"

Regards
Aromme

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Thats pure daft, read up what players doing beta on wow are saying atm, poor RvR, too easy PvE, crap quest engines, predictable combat....

When SWG came out there was a mad rush for it, they all came back. Same goes for Horizons, Eve, City of Heros etc etc etc. If we got a pound for everyone who said "WoW will wtfpwnd DAoC" id be rich, and Mythic are staying rich by still providing the best balanced PvE and PvP system game on the market and for the foreseeable future. Theres nothing out yet that gives just enough of all the right ingredients to keep 300,000 ppl happy. Its a fact, get used to it and stop kidding yourself differently.

While I do agree do a certain extent on this "auto level" thing, I do miss the good ole days slaying monsters and getting to know my realm. I do wonder how many players out there know where to find Jotuns, where the nearest forge to Galplen is, where Princess Araxia hangs out, or if they have ever taken a ride into Myrkwood. I got to know more players and had more "fun" while exping at spots like Vendo, Snow Crabs, the stone circle in Skona, Varulvhamn etc etc. OK, it took me ages to get a toon to 50, but it was part of the fun. Oh, and RvRing at level 20ish just for giggles, but kicking arse with it.

At this rate, Mythic might just as well remove the PvE from the game, give us all AK47s and a bomb and make it 1st person...oh thats been done. Now I can see the future, "DAoC - Diamond edition!! Free 8 level 50s in this mutliexpansion pack!!".

Easy or lazy...which ways this game going?

you did forget the forums is the absolutely worse place for information about the game. People ALLWAYS whine there about stuff, you dont hear any of the good stuff cause they take it for granted. It´s not like you see posts like "WoW is so fun!" more "Whine Whine Whine!"
:kissit:

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Ctuchik said:
and u dont think that running into the same fking fixed rvr groups that have their set playstyle every bloody day isnt predictable?? if u fight a number of set groups enuff times u KNOW how they play and what their prioritys are. thats the same as comparing with "crap and predictable AI"
Haha twice I've laughed irl in one thread. Great stuff, keep em coming.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
NetNifty said:
Give 100k rps per bub of xp past 50 imo, and extra if the realm is underpopulated. With increased xp in rvr in NF it would mean that RvRers would gain too, and they're getting rps while they usually would anyway, and would mean that you get some while xping artis too. Would also mean that people who don't like RvR can still advance thier chars past mls and artis etc.

that would b crap, people would end up moderning (if moderns still around at this time) there 50 + lvl 50 leeches <sigh> and then this just brings MORE PvE where as i always thought the idea was for more PvP, which is kinda y ive given up on toa'ing unless 2 help sum 1 coz i hate toa (i like pve raids though)

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>Please give us a Co-op server so we can get rid of svartmetal

Sic. You dont approve of places where people have the right to have different opinions? Move to North Korea then, you will love that place. :rolleyes:

>to bashing mobs with crap and predictable AI over and over

Rulke, from a game play challenge point of view, is there any difference between farming pve mobs and warder zergs?

>Are you honestly in favour of the "old" way of levelling every time you level? ie random groups from 1-50 over the course of several months? Levelling that way with your 1st toon is fine, teaches you a lot about game mechanics. What do you learn doing it a 2nd time?

The same can be said for gaining RSPs in rvr, applying consistency to your logic displayed here would create a situation where the question "why should I have to rvr with my 2nd char to get RSPs when I already have a RRn char?" can be raised. Same crap in both situations.

>At the risk of nitpicking I'd like to point out that WoW has seen quite a few years worth of player feedback from pioneering games such as Daoc.

Indeed, Daoc is based on the first generation of MMORPG playstyles (with a team fortress game bolted ontop of it to make it stand out from the crowd), would be horrible if new MMORPGs didnt advance the design as it was laid out 7? 10? years ago in a design document.

>That would be a fair change for those that do not like PvP

You ought to redefine that statement to people that dont like team fortress gameplay on the same map over and over. You can enjoy pvp but find doing it on the same map over and over mindnumbing to the extent that you dont go there much. In particular as most battles are over in less than 20 sec, no matter if you win or you loose. That is not quality game play in my book :(

>Thats pure daft, read up what players doing beta on wow are saying atm, poor RvR, too easy PvE, crap quest engines, predictable combat....

There is also a lot of testers that say the game is great, hard to know what faction is right atm. :(

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Check out the grab bag for the actual current thoughts.

Basically you only will get the free level if you've only gained one level in the last 7 days. So you level, and if it's more than 7 days since the last one, you gain two levels instead of one. If it isn't, you just gain the one.

So it'll be good for casual players, and for people coming back from holiday, but won't make levelling exceptionally fast. Would speed up the later levels much more than the early ones for less casual players.

Darzil

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Gamah said:
I think Svart is seriously misguided..and needs to get off his high horse! You seem to think that everyone over RR5 is a "1337 kiddie" and PvEer's are superior.
Show me where I say PvEers are superior to RvRers...?

Accept the fact that some people like PvE, others like RvR...
Show me where I say no-one likes RvR...?

...and stop trying to impose your way of playing on everyone else.
Show me where I try to impose my style of playing on everyone else...?

FYI in these kind of discussions it's usually the RvR-orientated players screaming in horror about even the merest possibility of PvE-orientated players getting RAs from high-level PvE, while being quite happy to accept free levelling XP from RvR (and in fact often demanding to be able to get everything from RvR and do no PvE at all). Seems like it's some RvR players who want to impose their way of playing on everyone else - i.e. it's perfectly OK for them to get everything they want (XP, cash etc) from RvR but it's not OK for PvE players to get what they want (RAs) from PvE.

You make out as if everyone that likes RvR should play quake or another FPS.
Wrong, I just say that IMO Quake and its ilk do PvP much better.

Well they dont want to play Quake they want to play Daoc RvR so stop your insesent bitching, it quite frankly pains me to read.
So don't read it then.

Stop thinking your way is superior to everyone elses
Show me where I say my way is superior to everyone else's...?

You seem to be adopting the same "1337" mentality as you claim to dispise in the "RvR 1337 kiddiez"
Wrong.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Darksword said:
that would b crap, people would end up moderning (if moderns still around at this time) there 50 + lvl 50 leeches <sigh> and then this just brings MORE PvE where as i always thought the idea was for more PvP, which is kinda y ive given up on toa'ing unless 2 help sum 1 coz i hate toa (i like pve raids though)

Think it through.

If PvE got you 100K RPs (or whatever) per bub of XP after 50, you think people who hate PvE would suddenly prefer to stand like a swaying zombie in Moderna (or wherever) getting PL'd rather than doing what they enjoy, i.e. RvR? Of course not, if you dislike PvE you'll carry on getting your RAs via RvR. This would just give people who hate RvR a way to get the RAs they want via high-level PvE. I really cannot understand why anyone would have a problem with this - short of being so intolerant that they want to force people who dislike RvR to RvR just through spite.

Since in NF you can - if you dislike PvE that much - now level through XP gained in RvR in the BGs, it seems only logical and fair to reciprocate by allowing people who dislike RvR that much to get RAs via PvE. Everyone gets to play the game their own way, everyone wins, everyone's happy, what's the problem?

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>This would just give people who hate RvR a way to get the RAs they want via high-level PvE. I really cannot understand why anyone would have a problem with this

Playing devils advocate there, one reason could be that they loose a chunk of rp farming material as the pure pveers wont go out in frontiers at all then, making it harder to move up the high score list.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Think it through.

If PvE got you 100K RPs (or whatever) per bub of XP after 50, you think people who hate PvE would suddenly prefer to stand like a swaying zombie in Moderna (or wherever) getting PL'd rather than doing what they enjoy, i.e. RvR? Of course not, if you dislike PvE you'll carry on getting your RAs via RvR. This would just give people who hate RvR a way to get the RAs they want via high-level PvE. I really cannot understand why anyone would have a problem with this - short of being so intolerant that they want to force people who dislike RvR to RvR just through spite.

Since in NF you can - if you dislike PvE that much - now level through XP gained in RvR in the BGs, it seems only logical and fair to reciprocate by allowing people who dislike RvR that much to get RAs via PvE. Everyone gets to play the game their own way, everyone wins, everyone's happy, what's the problem?

100k RPs per bubble past 50 would mean 1million RPs for me for free, id say no thanks heh.. I dont want no RPs i havent worked for in RVR. I dont expect to get MLranks/steps in RVR either.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
if there was a way to get RPs out of PvE having it more like ML trials (or gaheris keeptakes) than pure xp-based would be far better.

Eloran

Fledgling Freddie
As a way of balancing realm populations it wont be any more succesful than /lvl30. The reason I dont switch realms isnt because I dont want to lvl a toon in a new interesting environement but because I dont want to lvl a toon without all my crafters/cash and ToA items.

If mythic came up with a way of transfering things between realms/servers it would offer more hope for realm balancing imo

Saigean

Fledgling Freddie
This sucks, it takes like 4 weeks tops for me to get a 50 without any PL or bots... Yay, 4 lvls ;o

Zzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom