Free levels - once a week

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Free level every week anyone?

The herald said:
Now, time for even better news! During the last year, Mythic has made DAoC an easier game to play than ever before. We have introduced a more group-friendly system and made it easier than ever before for new players as well as casual gamers to play and succeed in DAoC. However, we want to go even farther than that and we will do so over the next few weeks. As part of this we will introduce a number of initiatives, the biggest of which is the “Gift of the Realm” system. How this system works is quite simple. At certain time intervals (more on this later), players will be able to go to their trainer and receive special rewards for their character. These rewards will include a new experience level as well as gold on a weekly basis. These changes are designed to help the casual as well as the new player succeed more quickly in DAoC. Thus, players will be able to level their characters more quickly than ever before and in a way that rewards people of all play-styles (casual, hard-core) equally. When we first launched DAoC, we wanted it to be accessible to all kinds of play-styles and we will continue and expand in this tradition. We are also planning to add in-game maps (for non RvR areas) as well as new systems to make grouping even easier than before. We will also be adding things like in-game keyboard configuration as well as other things as part of this initiative, with lots more to come over the next six months.

A

Aoln

Can you make a char you dont play and get the free lvl every week? lvl50 in 30 weeks \o/ :(

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Nice initiative :) Anything that helps people new to the game to get to rvr faster is a good thing, this should really help getting new people into the "real" game (be that rvr or high level raids etc).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Anything that helps new players is more than welcome :)

acei

Fledgling Freddie
Nice initiative on Mythic's part it may even balance the population a little bit in the long term, i currently have 7 level 30's and a level 37 on Hib/Pry cause that realm will obviously be given the underpopulated treatment it'll probably mean i'll have 8 level 50's in under 13 weeks? I'll certainly make me want to try out Hibernia alot more :). We need more information on the gift of the realm implementation though.

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to see Mythic are avid readers of the WoW forums and webbies ;)

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Oro said:
Nice to see Mythic are avid readers of the WoW forums and webbies ;)
Just my thought..The resting state bonus in WOW seems like a good idea indeed ;)

Oh, and hi Roo :cheers:

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Lets hope the gold amount dosnt get to high, make 7 alts, let em farm 1 time a week :), and if it comes, evrybody will fill acc out with lvl 20s to lvl 1 time a week, and ofc gonna be a lot easyer to start as on a nother ralm on eg. excal, just make 8 20s, and u got a little money to buy for in short time. Imo great idear, but need some more work before it gonna be really usefull. Nice tuch mythic :), tho a bit late to intruduce it

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
I think you wont be given this rewards just automatically, think you need to get em yourself at your trainer and I think that there will be a specific time to be able to get them (maybe for 3 days or so). So no automatic level 50 after some weeks :p

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>Nice to see Mythic are avid readers of the WoW forums and webbies

Yes, a lot of good ideas are generated there and it would be stupid not to follow it. Lets hope they fill the game with LOTS of good quests too so you dont need to take the factorylike gameplayroute at all to level :)

Sarumancer

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry, they need to take more urgent action than this, otherwise its going to be Dark Age of Albion, cos the mids and hibs dont stand a chance, 6 months for "natural" rebalance... is 6 months of Albs having 6 relics and raking in rps, meaning the problem perpetuates.

It has to be something drastic, or, well, in 6 months wow is out, there wont be anyone TO buy Catacombs, bar albs, and they wont have anyone to rvr against.

Say enough Xp to ding you to the next level, every few days regardless of what level youre at (til 50), 1 gold for every level you go up, 1 realm level every week up to rr3, then 1 per month after that. Give a system that would actually entice people to jump servers and play.

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
As i understood the post on the Herald it was meant only for underpopulated realms... Like the /lvl 30 on hib/pryd.

If it's implemented the way /lvl 30 was i guess we won't be seeing much of it on the english servers at least since we're fairly well-balanced playerbase-wise.

Or did i misunderstand something? :)

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
and its a good idea, so why not use it?

Of course. Still made me chuckle. Main difference is that WoW will have it integrated seamlessly from the start and Mythic have to shoehorn it into an existing structure, which is never as neat.

If Mythic really are serious about sorting problems for casual players there are two things they need to do (amongst other things probably):

1) Make it easier for those without a 50 below lvl20 to move around home realms faster and get groups easier. Hasteners for kill tasks would help a lot - when you pick up a task, the task-npc gives you a haste buff at same time. Hasteners at towns would help a lot.

2) Buff range limit. Yes, that old chestnut.

And hey Krak :)

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
If this system means that I can auto-level a character to 50 over a number of weeks, I'm certainly interested in creating characters on other servers. :)

But I doubt this will make people permanently move..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
*takes a look into his crystal icecube*

I see...the future...

"FFS freelevel killed the game!"

Disturbing...

"This game is too easy!!!1"

Shocking....

"I got banned for making buffbot with freelevel!"

*shakes his head*

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:

That will come down to people falling I love with their new characters/realm mates :)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Is anyone actually aware of the fact that every reward people get "for free" automatically means a devaluation of what people have earned through their efforts and work? Something like this doesn´t help the casual players. It rewards those players who have 3 accounts full of /level 20 chars and alts.
Why don´t they introduce a /level 50 for a one-time fee of - say - 50 Euros for people who already have a lvl 50 on that acc? That way they´d finally spoil all the PL offers on Ebay, make a little extra money and give all those players an opportunity to play other reals/classes that went through the level grind? AND pthe money would make players think twice whether the extra level 50 char is worth it. That would support casual players a LOT more since it´s usually the casual players who´re willing to buy accounts (or spend RL money for ingame stuff).

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Sarumancer said:
It has to be something drastic, or, well, in 6 months wow is out, there wont be anyone TO buy Catacombs, bar albs, and they wont have anyone to rvr against.
rofl! That was one of the silliest assumptions I've seen in a very long time! :clap:
I really hope that you don't really belive that. :eek7:

Cruhar

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
*takes a look into his crystal icecube*

I see...the future...

"FFS freelevel killed the game!"

Disturbing...

"This game is too easy!!!1"

Shocking....

"I got banned for making buffbot with freelevel!"

*shakes his head*

:worthy:

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Sarumancer said:
Thats pure daft, read up what players doing beta on wow are saying atm, poor RvR, too easy PvE, crap quest engines, predictable combat....

When SWG came out there was a mad rush for it, they all came back. Same goes for Horizons, Eve, City of Heros etc etc etc. If we got a pound for everyone who said "WoW will wtfpwnd DAoC" id be rich, and Mythic are staying rich by still providing the best balanced PvE and PvP system game on the market and for the foreseeable future. Theres nothing out yet that gives just enough of all the right ingredients to keep 300,000 ppl happy. Its a fact, get used to it and stop kidding yourself differently.

While I do agree do a certain extent on this "auto level" thing, I do miss the good ole days slaying monsters and getting to know my realm. I do wonder how many players out there know where to find Jotuns, where the nearest forge to Galplen is, where Princess Araxia hangs out, or if they have ever taken a ride into Myrkwood. I got to know more players and had more "fun" while exping at spots like Vendo, Snow Crabs, the stone circle in Skona, Varulvhamn etc etc. OK, it took me ages to get a toon to 50, but it was part of the fun. Oh, and RvRing at level 20ish just for giggles, but kicking arse with it.

At this rate, Mythic might just as well remove the PvE from the game, give us all AK47s and a bomb and make it 1st person...oh thats been done. Now I can see the future, "DAoC - Diamond edition!! Free 8 level 50s in this mutliexpansion pack!!".

Easy or lazy...which ways this game going?

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Great news and though I like anyone have damned Mythic (less so than GOA) for their problems we shouldnt forget that committment of this kind to a 3 yr old game is nothing to be sniffed at.

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Been there tried it, left DAOC 3 times now to try something different, but time after time you end up comming back.

The community in DAOC is pretty good, there are days when you can just log into talk to some friends and forget about crafting, exping or RvRing.

The interface and functionality of the DAOC engine is also hard to get away from, CoH had the same qbar functionality and interface style which helped, but you missed the dragons, swords and magic.

Dispite what others may say, the GFX engine of DAOC has evolved over time, this is a major strong point with the game and is keeping DAOC on par with the current fMMORPGs on the scene, I feel the only game to even threaten DAOC will be EQ2 due out in September and even then with no RvR only the hard core PvE players are likely to move.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I think WoW looks just a clone of AC2 with a warcraft theme imo, from watching some gameplay vids of WoW, I'm not impressed tbh, seems very limited in what you can do, although appears to be a large game world.

But back on topic, would be a nice idea, altho only for people without chars on their account eg no /lvl command etc, the real newbies in game should have this feature active, to try and stop it being abused by those with xx amount of lvl50's already.

The idea about buying a lvl50 char for a certain amount from Mythric/GoA is basicaly the same as being PL'd, end up with an even greater amount of nubs running about, asking how to get to certain places which they'd know all about if they level'd properly.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:

toa... dont think many will be arsed to artifact/ml, heck even i got like 3-4 lvl 50ths that i could play, but no point without wasting 3months+ pve on them, which i cbA. :(

Bunnytwo

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
Is anyone actually aware of the fact that every reward people get "for free" automatically means a devaluation of what people have earned through their efforts and work? Something like this doesn´t help the casual players. It rewards those players who have 3 accounts full of /level 20 chars and alts.

Yep it might lead to inflation in prices (depending on how much cash they're talking about), but even then that will help the casual player more as almost by definition they will have less cash than the 24/7 player so devaluation won't hit them as hard as someone with a few hundred plat to their name.

Think the free lvls is a particularly good idea as a way of reducing the time it would take a player who is new to the game to get to 50 and then get artis and MLs, which tbh I would find quite daunting atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom