Forced Servers in World of Warcraft!

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds kind of annoying, I usually jump into MMORPG's 'raw' anyway. But I atleast like to think if I had any friends i'd be able to go to the same server as them :D

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Great way to balance the servers. Is there really anyone in DAoC you're going to miss that much? If it's real life friends I understand though.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Edit: nm I kinda see now. Can be a bit of a pain if everyones in a mixed country guild, but tbh nothings been annouced for the euro servers yet, and I doubt they'll do it with em.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
For me it probably won't pose that much of a problem (seeing as I don't actually intend to buy the game :p) but I think that the whole concept is total BS! People shouldn't be forced into playing on a certain server depending on their location. It will cause major hassles in the US where players in roaming guilds are spread all over the country/world. Probably not so much of a problem for europe though. Guess a few of our aussie friends won't be able to play ... in fact, they will probably end up on the asian servers. :p

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
They just mean the serverpark you gonna play on. Not the individual servers on one of those serverparks. Probably only the US people who gotta decide between East or West. Meaning someone on the East coast servers can't make a char on the West coast and vice versa. We in the EU probably won't have multiple serverparks so we won't even have that. So it's nothing big. It's like with Diablo 2 and you can't go on the other battlenet servers.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
fucking beautiful.... now you probably have to put up with all the germans again like in D2.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
I have nothing against germans, in fact one of my best rl mates is german, but the germans in D2 were absolutely unbelievably annoying.

"GERMAN?"

"no"

"..."

A lot of germans in an online game + non germans does not match, it's as easy as that.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Played Jumpgate with 100's of Germans and never had a problem, I think Diablo 2 was just so huge that it attracted lots of younger players and we all know that 3 out of every 5 teenagers needs a damn good slapping ;)

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
they just make a clan called DER DEUTSCHE MAFFIA. bang, 12000 members.

:p

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Loxleyhood said:
Great way to balance the servers. Is there really anyone in DAoC you're going to miss that much? If it's real life friends I understand though.
It's not like there are any guilds/clans that have existed for several years and games prior to today with people from all over the world, are there?
Oh right, there are. :twak:

It's a silly solution, since there are ways to bypass all of this. They wouldn't have much of a problem if they released the game in Europe the same time as everyone else.

It's like Daoc all over again, oh; and did I mention it's Goa handling Euro-WoW as well?

Me personally is not looking forward to that part of the release...

Galelawyn

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
It's like Daoc all over again, oh; and did I mention it's Goa handling Euro-WoW as well?

Me personally is not looking forward to that part of the release...

You got any confirmation of that? :eek2:

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
It's not like there are any guilds/clans that have existed for several years and games prior to today with people from all over the world, are there?
Oh right, there are. :twak:

Well if you do care about people in DAoC, fine. I don't.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
You won't have to put up with germans!!
Germans will have their german servers and the french will have french servers!!

What this whole thing means is that Euro peeps can only play on euro servers (doensn't matter if they are english, french or german) for the first few months.

Blizzard is planning for at least 14 servers in Europe. More than enough I would say....

Blizzard will be patching every region at the same time. No more waiting for a patch!! Doesn't sound like GOA to me ;)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Galelawyn said:
You got any confirmation of that? :eek2:
Just looked it up, and I must've read some rumours on some forum, because it isn't true. (and for that I apologize). Here's from Blizzard's press releases:

"In Europe, Blizzard plans to host the game on local servers, with pan-European network management. Additionally, the game will be fully supported by Blizzard’s local World of Warcraft™ team, making it the first non-licensed MMORPG in Europe to have a dedicated regional team in place. The local team will be responsible for all aspects of game operation, including localized offline customer support, in-game support through game masters and community management for the game. With this team, Blizzard intends to affirm its commitment to the European game community by delivering an unparalleled massively multiplayer experience."

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Loxleyhood said:
Well if you do care about people in DAoC, fine. I don't.
Who said anything about Daoc? There are more games out there. (contrary to common belief)

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
There are two main problems with this:

1. The US (and Korean?!) releases are going to be before the EU one. A lot of people want to play the game as soon as it comes out having become thoroughly tired of playing DAoC months behind the US. The situation is a lot better with WoW (global patching etc.) but it still means that the EU servers will be months behind the US ones. This is especially relevant when you consider the spoiling of (currently secret) raid content and each server competing to finish the Dark Portal quests that will unlock a new area of the game. It might not be important to some people but the competition in achievements (be it from levelling the fastest, getting the most points in PvP, completing the hardest zones/quests/mobs first etc.) is what a lot of people thrive on in these games and to be denied a level playing field from the beginning is irritating to say the least.
  2. A lot of people have ties to guilds with people from all over the world (in particular the UK, US and Australia since they all speak English). Forcing these people to split up over servers and only allowing them the chance to move back together months after the game has been released is not really very clever.

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Means im well fooked over since im Russian and they deffo wont have a server here. If they do something silly like restrict IPs from country X connecting to server for country Y then its plain sad.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Ivan said:
Means im well fooked over since im Russian and they deffo wont have a server here. If they do something silly like restrict IPs from country X connecting to server for country Y then its plain sad.
You can always use Proxies to get around that.

As for billing address and credit card, well - you can get around that too if you have friends that you trust/trust you in the country of your choice.
Just PayPal them the cash needed, and they can pay the subs fee for you.

There are ways around every solution they can think of, and people will use them.

That being said, they are currently discussing this internally (if one is to believe the Blizzard posters, which I guess we have to). The thread over at the official forums have reached 68,303 views and 294 posts. It's a hot topic :p

Lian

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm from what i read it's more like it's for DAoC. So if you got the US copy you won't be able to play on Euro servers, you got the Korean version you can't play the US version. Then within Euro serverblock you got a free choice just like we do here. Presumably they'll make German, Spanish and French servers, and then leave the Dutch, Scandinavians and East Europeans to play on the English language servers.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Lian said:
Presumably they'll make German, Spanish and French servers
To the best of my knowledge, they haven't mentioned Spanish servers at all.

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
To the best of my knowledge, they haven't mentioned Spanish servers at all.

Cuz of balance. If they launch spanish server - there`ll be only paladins with 2h swords... and no horde players at all..

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Boogyman said:
Cuz of balance. If they launch spanish server - there`ll be only paladins with 2h swords... and no horde players at all..
hehe xD

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Boogyman said:

Im sry to all the spaniards out there..but rofl :clap:

/Dracus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom