News For camera nerds only

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
After reading this and several other threads I have come to the conclusion that I want to have a Masterclass (paid for) with either Big G or Milou. So much to learn and understand but the best point is that they won't laugh (too much) at me. Seriously. I am in awe with the knowledge you two show for something I aspire to be good at.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
*points at Milou*

He's a genius, ask him!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
*points at Milou*

He's a genius, ask him!
I want to come visit Scotland again, spend over 2 years visiting every other weekend staying in Glasgow and visiting Loch Lomand (??) every now and then.

old.user4556

Skye and Lewis are just prehistoric awesomesauce for landscapes; they've not changed for millions of years.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Take me out with you so I can learn???

milou

Part of the furniture
Skye and Lewis are just prehistoric awesomesauce for landscapes; they've not changed for millions of years.
I'm off to the Outer Hebrides in March. I first went in Feb 2008 http://www.milouvision.com/galleries/4159_1048088568/64079 staying here: http://www.gearrannan.com/Default.asp?Page=6.

Bruce Percy has a fab portfolio here: http://www.brucepercy.co.uk/pages/Portfolios/harrislewis/summeradventure_01.html. His book is a worthwhile purchase: http://www.brucepercy.co.uk/blog/2011/11/14/book-feedback/

old.user4556

I'm well jel, I've missed the boat (almost literally) twice on a trip to Lewis, went to Skye instead and got only one evening of good light grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My B+W has a Lee ring adaptor welded on, I can't get it off :(.

Edit: love Bruce Percy's work. My sister has stayed at those cottages twice now, she likes it up there. You may have slept in the same bed as her you know.

milou

Part of the furniture
*points at Milou*

He's a genius, ask him!
After reading this and several other threads I have come to the conclusion that I want to have a Masterclass (paid for) with either Big G or Milou. So much to learn and understand but the best point is that they won't laugh (too much) at me. Seriously. I am in awe with the knowledge you two show for something I aspire to be good at.
Hah. Hmm.... I recently went on a Light & Land one day course in essence to see how they run things, and also to meet Charlie Waite and Anthony Spencer. 14 peeps at £150 each for the day. Just need to look at the back of Outdoor Photography mag to see the sheer range available. I can suggest some courses if you want formal tuition. Quite a few are Twitter contacts. Always more than happy for a meet up though.

milou

Part of the furniture
I'm well jel, I've missed the boat (almost literally) twice on a trip to Lewis, went to Skye instead and got only one evening of good light grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My B+W has a Lee ring adaptor welded on, I can't get it off :(.

Edit: love Bruce Percy's work. My sister has stayed at those cottages twice now, she likes it up there. You may have slept in the same bed as her you know.
Apparently Bruce runs an epic course. I went to Skye just for the day whilst staying in Oban in April. Crystal blue clear skies.

old.user4556

Yeah I've seen, an epic price to go with it ;).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I would rather meet up with people I know, I can knowlingy accept critism from them.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I did a half-day course courtesy of Groupon. It was mainly to meet up with an old friend, and I didn't learn much, but I got to do stuff I didn't usually do. I found much of my learning came from doing. You just need to get yourself in a position to take some pictures and you will learn the most from that.

I don't mind meeting up with fellow nerds though. I did say I wanted to do a walk-around in London but it's getting too cold for that.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It would be ace all of us. Not sure how viable it is, but I'd be up for it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The Nikon D800 - full frame, 36mp. Seems like a complete about-turn from Nikon, insanely high mp count. Come on Canon, sort a 5d3 out!

old.user4556

Woaaft, very interesting.

Judging by the responses on the forums, there's a lot of facepalming about the megapixel count. Some die hard D700 owners do not want that resolution, but rather continued clean low ISO with high ISO capability. One would assume that the dynamic range may suffer, but until the tests and samples are out we can't presume that.

I have to say, 18 megapixels on the 7D is perfectly sufficient for me to produce high quality A1 prints at normal viewing distance, so for me personally I have no want for more.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've only printed up to 13"x19" and 15mp has been ample for that. The D800's 36mp is frankly ridiculous, almost like it's trying to get in on medium-format territory. It'll be interesting to see how it does in low-light, like you say, but apparently we have to wait until next year for proper full-res 1dx samples so don't hold your breath. :(

old.user4556

It could work though, I don't usually quote DxOMark but:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...and2)/Pentax/(appareil3)/485|0/(brand3)/Nikon

If Sony's new 24 MP APS-C sensor is producing results regarding dynamic range as good as the medium-format 645D and a stop behind the sensational (and also 24 MP) D3X, then full-frame sensors with similar / same tech should also see awesome results.

I would expect a Nikon D400 to weigh in with the same Sony sensor at 24 MP.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Was thinking the other day if I want canvas prints of any of my stuff I may struggle given the shite res my camera pumps out. Might just about be able to get away with a couple of smallish ones though...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'd say you can go up to A2 max (with minimal cropping ofc) on your 8mp sensor. That's with a DPI of ~150, which is as low as I would care to go.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's a 350D innit? If it's a 300D (6.3mp) then you could safely(ish) go up to A3+ (13"x19") methinks.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Canvas is cheaty though, you can get away with massive prints and it's impossible to notice any problems with picture resolution, as the canvas weave hides it.
I got a 50" print out from my 350D and it looks great, so go for whatever you feel like.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Aww, bless.

Exioce is right though, you can go a bit bigger on canvas without worrying too much. I know somebody who took a pretty low-res (don't know exact mp-age) crop from the middle of a 6mp image and printed it on A3-ish canvas and it looked great.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
In theory, IF I were to get a new camera body, what would you suggest? Bear in mind my big penis though. Would definitely need to be good enough for large prints/canvases etc.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I saw a "CR1" rumour that the 5d3 was going to be 18mp. :s

old.user4556

In theory, IF I were to get a new camera body, what would you suggest? Bear in mind my big penis though. Would definitely need to be good enough for large prints/canvases etc.

Depends on what you need I suppose - presume you want to make use of your EF-S lenses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom