News For camera nerds only

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The 1Ds mk3 is 21.1mp and I'm honestly not fussed about video..

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Sorry I didn't read your post properly; hell yes, if it was an S then definitely :D

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The Canon Hollywood event liveblog!

The C300. Not into pro-video at all (ofc) but it's still interesting. :)

201111035817.jpg

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hmmm... 5d mark 1 for sale for £650.... do I go for a full frame slr, although I would be the 3rd owner...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmmm... 5d mark 1 for sale for £650.... do I go for a full frame slr, although I would be the 3rd owner...
As long as you have EF lenses, then go for it.

old.user4556

Consider why you need full-frame - a modern Canon APS-C camera will have better dynamic range than the 5D in addition to a host of other better features such as higher resolution and video modes.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So a 600d over a 2nd hand 50d? I'm not interested in video capture at all.

old.user4556

It depends on what you need Chet. The turn over of camera bodies is insane as technology advances. If it was me, personally I'd go for the 600D for a few reasons:

- newer, higher resolution sensor with better dynamic range and ISO noise than the 50D
- considerably lighter weight
- videos modes; I know you said you're not interested, but you'll be surprised once you use it ;)
- takes smaller, cheaper SD cards over bulkier and more expensive CF

Mind you, the 50D has:

- much better, more solid build quality with water and dust resistance
- faster autofocus, particularly in low light
- faster frames per second (sports and wildlife)
- faster maximum shutter speed
- twice the battery life over the 600D
- button and control layout more akin to the 5D and 7D

Here's a comparison here:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos50d&products=canon_eos600d

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Depends what he uses it for innit. If he wants better build quality, pretty much impermeable weather-sealing, better AF (especially in low light) and boatloads of custom functions then the 1ds3 is for him. I don't need any of those things but *if* it had been for the price that that 1d3 was on the previous page it would've been hard to resist (especially coming up from 1.6x crop).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
he's a concert photographer. reason he ditched it was because of bad performance in high isos and -according to him- shite af performance.
note: this guy doesn't use flashes or af helpers to do his thing. bit like Leon, he gets real close and uses a knife :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If he's the guy that photographed that muppet holding the book the wrong way up then I like his concert work, I remember looking through his stuff. :D

TdC

yeah he's the guy. muppet indeed :p

old.user4556

he's a concert photographer. reason he ditched it was because of bad performance in high isos and -according to him- shite af performance.
note: this guy doesn't use flashes or af helpers to do his thing. bit like Leon, he gets real close and uses a knife :)

Ah yes, well i've seen anecdotal chat of autofocus in low light not being that great on the 5d mk2, but since it's the same sensor as the 1Ds Mk3 I'd have thought quality would have been mostly the same.

TdC

Dennis was mumbling something about software fucking up the raws at high isos. I assure you I wasn't paying the attention to it at all. He's a pretty damn good photographer, but he's also a bit of a diva heh. He prefers the 5DII because he can I guess.

I guess it's a bit like an F1 driver complaining about a slight power dip between 274 and 278 kph or something. Normal people (eg like me) will never know :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So milou, that's basically a 3rd party "big stopper" that fits the Lee system and performs similarly? I'm tempted if it ticks those boxes tbh.

old.user4556

Cal, there is a review / comparison online of the two.

I had a bad experience with a high tech filter and sent it back, although they do a 5 stop filter which I'm in the market for (noone else seems to do one).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Cal, there is a review / comparison online of the two.
Oooh, well linked. ;)

I'm good up to 5 stops - I have the 0.6 and 0.9 Lee Pro Glass ND filters - but I really can't justify the cost of the big stopper (or the apparent 6 month waiting list) for the amount of use I would get out of it so a cheaper alternative would be welcome.

old.user4556

Lulz at the prices of big stoppers on ebay :D

milou

Part of the furniture

old.user4556

I didn't like the warm cast of the B+W, it's sitting gathering dust on my shelf just now.

My bad on the filter, I will see if there is a new review kicking around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom