Football Rant

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Saw in the paper this week, Bellamy to Villa ROFL.

Heard that too...all I can say is we better bloody not. :(

Great end to the season today btw - glad the Baggies made it. Always a good derby atmosphere when we play them - though they do raise their game against us. Nice to see Robbo getting some success, was a legend as a player for England.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Marc said:
or if you play rugby union. A game for puffs, played by puffs.

At least think about the history before making comments. The original code was Union. Going by your statement the the League players were puffs who wanted to get paid for playing a puffs game! Oh yeah, they then changed the rules to get more breaks in play. Making them more puffy than the Union players! ;)

As for Rugby V Footy. Hmmm Rugby 11 Vs any football team I wonder who would end up in hospital crying like girls? You only have to see how they act when they get a little tap on the ankle, christ you'd think they were dying.

TBH I like watching football and both codes of rugby. The one thing that really pisses me off about Footy is the play acting to get opposition players yellow/red carded. The diving and acting is getting worse every year and spoils the game. I would like to see the FA/FIFA start baning/fining players caught on video (post match) of these practices.

When I lived in the UK I supported Richmond Rugby Club and was a regular at the North Bank Highbury. Thanks to that pr*ck that owns Reading FC & London Irish, Richmond are no more. So Saracens became my team of choice. Must be a team colour thing :)

Cmon Arsenal for the FA Cup! Hope its a good game and Man Utd don't resort to their usual tactics of playing man not ball against Arsenal.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Hawkwind said:
As for Rugby V Footy. Hmmm Rugby 11 Vs any football team I wonder who would end up in hospital crying like girls? You only have to see how they act when they get a little tap on the ankle, christ you'd think they were dying.

lol thats like saying lets put this swimmer agaist mike tyson in the ring there both sports stars thats fine!!

But your right put a football 11 agaist a rugby team playing rugby rules they would get battered. but put rugby players on a football pitch playing football, it would be easier than training.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
soze said:
I see your point about the money in football being silly but then i just take a look at american football and think atleast its not that bad yet.

The reason there is so much money in Grid Iron, Baseball and Basketball is the number of professional teams Vs fans, advertising and the amount of poeple watching it on TV. Plus 300 Million people in the US versus 65 Mill in the UK.

Compare the amount teams in the NFL Western & Eastern Conferences against the number of football teams playing professionally in the UK. If the number of teams were similar, there would be bigger fan bases for the teams and more money available.

The money in the game is massive. If you were a professional player would you not want a fair cut of that money? As the entertainers you should be entitled to it.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
soze said:
lol thats like saying lets put this swimmer agaist mike tyson in the ring there both sports stars thats fine!!

But your right put a football 11 agaist a rugby team playing rugby rules they would get battered. but put rugby players on a football pitch playing football, it would be easier than training.

Agreed, the point was more why call Rugby players puffs! If you do, then what the heck does that make Football players. :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Bracken said:
Nice to see Robbo getting some success, was a legend as a player for England.

Was a great player, just hope he stays off the pop long enough to manage the WBA well. :drink:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Hawkwind said:
The reason there is so much money in Grid Iron, Baseball and Basketball is the number of professional teams Vs fans, advertising and the amount of poeple watching it on TV. Plus 300 Million people in the US versus 65 Mill in the UK.

Compare the amount teams in the NFL Western & Eastern Conferences against the number of football teams playing professionally in the UK. If the number of teams were similar, there would be bigger fan bases for the teams and more money available.

The money in the game is massive. If you were a professional player would you not want a fair cut of that money? As the entertainers you should be entitled to it.

I have nothing agaist the big players earning big money. They do something that no one else dose they ask for the money and get it.

On a side note i read that one of Crystal Palaces fringe players is only earning £350 a week that for a premiership player is a bit amazing.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Hawkwind said:
Agreed, the point was more why call Rugby players puffs! If you do, then what the heck does that make Football players. :)

Highly paid more entertaining puffs?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Thadius said:
You seen how much baseball stars gets paid in the USA :eek:

I think a couple are on more than 100 grand a week :O

Less than Beckham then!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
soze said:
Highly paid more entertaining puffs?

LOL.

Played alot of sport in my youth (14-30) including Swimming and Rugby to County standard and Waterpolo in the top UK divisions. Also played Sunday hangover footy and even did Boxing for a while. Enjoyed all the sport I played but never once thought my team mates were all puffs.

Think some of the comments in this thread are being made by fat spotty kids who sit in doors all day playing with computers. Get a life and go outside, kick a ball around with your mates. You might even enjoy it.

My five year old son is already playing tennis, football and tag rugby. I see the benefits of it in his increased self confidence. The fact that he loves playing them is great. Some of his frineds at school have Xbox's and don't want to play. Its very sad and bad parenting IMO. the next generation of overweight geeks in the making.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
soze said:
I have nothing agaist the big players earning big money. They do something that no one else dose they ask for the money and get it.

On a side note i read that one of Crystal Palaces fringe players is only earning £350 a week that for a premiership player is a bit amazing.

Is that for a player on the books and not playing first team football? If its an appentice then I would expect the wages to be around that.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Some of his frineds at school have Xbox's and don't want to play. Its very sad and bad parenting IMO. the next generation of overweight geeks in the making.

Some kids are just crap at sports and making them do it just makes them feel shit - and that ain't good. I was always into sports, but I remember some kids who just couldn't do it. The problem is when it's a lack of excercise altogether - even if they can't do sports as such they still need excercise.

As for rugby, it's always been union round here - especially since Worcester got a decent team going. Great achievement by them staying up this year - and like in the footy was an amazing last day to the season, Worcester winning by 1 point and 'Quins missing a pen 3 minutes from time. :drink:

I always considered rugby league the harder sport (never played the code, just used to watch it on grandstand as a kid :p ), though since union turned professional and some of the changes in rules I'd say the gap has closed.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Hawkwind said:
Is that for a player on the books and not playing first team football? If its an appentice then I would expect the wages to be around that.

A squad player appeared 5 times this season or something hes not young but has not had contract talks this year.

Marc

FH is my second home
Bracken said:
Some kids are just crap at sports and making them do it just makes them feel shit - and that ain't good. I was always into sports, but I remember some kids who just couldn't do it. The problem is when it's a lack of excercise altogether - even if they can't do sports as such they still need excercise.

As for rugby, it's always been union round here - especially since Worcester got a decent team going. Great achievement by them staying up this year - and like in the footy was an amazing last day to the season, Worcester winning by 1 point and 'Quins missing a pen 3 minutes from time. :drink:

I always considered rugby league the harder sport (never played the code, just used to watch it on grandstand as a kid :p ), though since union turned professional and some of the changes in rules I'd say the gap has closed.

I can assure you from personal experience that rugby league is by far the harder code. I would play 80 minutes of league and know I had played. Played 80 minutes of union (in the forwards i hasten to add) and i would come off feeling I could do another 80 minutes. League is also by far the most skillful to play (fact) and also far more exciting (imo).

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Cmon Arsenal for the FA Cup! Hope its a good game and Man Utd don't resort to their usual tactics of playing man not ball against Arsenal.

Hope Arseanal loses as they're a bunch of worse fowling leg snappers. -_-

soze

I am a FH squatter
Garnet said:
Hope Arseanal loses as they're a bunch of worse fowling leg snappers. -_-

You do make me laugh please tell every one how many of Arsenals opponents have had a leg broken this season? last season too if you want?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Marc said:
I can assure you from personal experience that rugby league is by far the harder code. I would play 80 minutes of league and know I had played. Played 80 minutes of union (in the forwards i hasten to add) and i would come off feeling I could do another 80 minutes. League is also by far the most skillful to play (fact) and also far more exciting (imo).

Can appreciate the skill in both games and like Bracken said the gap has closed in regads fitness levels etc.

never played League but can honestly say I have come out of some Union games feeling pretty good and could have done another 40. Nothing to do with fitness level just the way the game turned out. Some teams try to play to much postion and not rely on their handling. Which, slows the game down and also makes it very boring imo. If the game is played in the spirit its meant to be played (modern game) and the skill level is good enough then no way would anyone walk off after 80 mins thinking you could do it again.

Try a few 7s games to test your fitness. St Helen's had a team at the last Dubai Rugby 7's and made the International Invitation Final loosing 33 19 to an bunch of Southern Hemisphere Union players. I was lucky enough to attend the award ceremony and spoke to a couple St Helen's players. They both admitted they found it hard going but great fun.

I believe they will be attending this years 7's as well Nov 30 to Dec 2 if interested. Great event and well worth the 7 hour flight.
:cheers:

Marc

FH is my second home
Hawkwind said:
Can appreciate the skill in both games and like Bracken said the gap has closed in regads fitness levels etc.

never played League but can honestly say I have come out of some Union games feeling pretty good and could have done another 40. Nothing to do with fitness level just the way the game turned out. Some teams try to play to much postion and not rely on their handling. Which, slows the game down and also makes it very boring imo. If the game is played in the spirit its meant to be played (modern game) and the skill level is good enough then no way would anyone walk off after 80 mins thinking you could do it again.

Try a few 7s games to test your fitness. St Helen's had a team at the last Dubai Rugby 7's and made the International Invitation Final loosing 33 19 to an bunch of Southern Hemisphere Union players. I was lucky enough to attend the award ceremony and spoke to a couple St Helen's players. They both admitted they found it hard going but great fun.

I believe they will be attending this years 7's as well Nov 30 to Dec 2 if interested. Great event and well worth the 7 hour flight.
:cheers:

7's is the closest form of rugby between the 2 codes. I belive the tournament in dubai was a cracker with some good flowing rugby on show. In St Helens defence, they didnt have time to prepare as im sure they only flew out 2 days before the event. However, if you want to look at the gulf in class between the 2 codes with regards the backs, you only need look at the middlesex 7's. WIgan walked it and then 2 years ago, bradford bulls walked it too. What you also need to know, is that on the friday night (the night before the middlesex 7's) Bradford played St Helens in a bruising encounter that we won. They only set off for Middlesex at 11pm, arriving at 4am, having 5 hours sleep and then off to play the 7's, beating a lot of the Zurich Premierships top teams in the process of winning the trophy. What is also quite remarkable is that Bradford are not known for their backs, more their forwards. St Helens pulled out of the middlesex 7's last year, citing injury problems, but rumour has it, that the RFU back tracked on their invitiation as they didnt want another league team winning the tournament.

I must admit though, i dont mind the southern hemisphere RU (the super 12's). Its the northern hemisphere I dislike. Its boring and full of players who just arent good enough. Even the goldenboy of RU Johnny Wilkinson is garbage. All he can do is kick a penalty. U need a fly half who has a good rugby brain and has the skills to unlock a defence, something which Johnny Boy is lacking in. The England RU team recently trained with the Leeds Rhinos and apparantly, the Rhinos were shocked at how bad the england team actually where!!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Marc said:
7's is the closest form of rugby between the 2 codes. I belive the tournament in dubai was a cracker with some good flowing rugby on show.

It was and England winning was just the icing on the cake. The whole event was a party, pretty drunk one at that. The whole point of the 7's is to increase the skill and fitness of the players emerging into the England setup. With players like Rob Thirlby and Richard Haughton comming through things can only improve. Like you I prefer the free flowing rugby of the Super 12's with the only exceptions being the pointless uncontested scrums and lineouts.

From a Union point of view there is a lot of talent and more coming through. I do firmly believe the fitness and skills gap is very close now. Not like 5-8 years ago.

If you love rugby you really should try and come to the Dubai 7's and at 150 Dhs for a Tournament Pass (7 Dhs = 1GBP) it's a bargain. Flights can be as low at £169 Return so not too bad.

Marc

FH is my second home
Hawkwind said:
It was and England winning was just the icing on the cake. The whole event was a party, pretty drunk one at that. The whole point of the 7's is to increase the skill and fitness of the players emerging into the England setup. With players like Rob Thirlby and Richard Haughton comming through things can only improve. Like you I prefer the free flowing rugby of the Super 12's with the only exceptions being the pointless uncontested scrums and lineouts.

From a Union point of view there is a lot of talent and more coming through. I do firmly believe the fitness and skills gap is very close now. Not like 5-8 years ago.

If you love rugby you really should try and come to the Dubai 7's and at 150 Dhs for a Tournament Pass (7 Dhs = 1GBP) it's a bargain. Flights can be as low at £169 Return so not too bad.

Its the timing tho, xmas time. Cant really afford to go away at that time of year.

As for the difference in skill etc i disagree. Here are a couple of short vids (20mb or so each)

This one is a funny host. Click link, scroll to bottom and click download. U have to wait a minute and it downloads. Granted its from a St Helens PoV who have some of the most skillful players in both codes. Watch for number 3, Jamie Lyon, the best centre in the world in either code, number 5, darren Albert, the fastest player in the world and number 7, the one, the only, sean long

http://rapidshare.de/files/1643113/DownloadSaints.wmv.html

This next vid is the road to the challenge cup last year. The greatest cup run ever, where we beat Hull, Hudds, Leeds and Bradford before beating Wigan (the top 5 teams in RL at the time) in front of a capacity record crowd for the Millenium stadium. Its what emphasises the excitement of RL compared to RU.

http://www.stonecoldjpm.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/challengecup2004.wmv

Enjoy watching some proper rugby ;)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
The only blokes who are anti-football are the ones who are still hung up over always getting picked last in the school kick about. :p

I was always picked first with football (because i was better at it then most and i was 1 year older), i loved to play it (still do) but i FUCKING hate to watch it

playing actively it is fun, while watching passively it is..... well... extremely boring?? (imo)

but im sure people here have a better explanation for that....

(PS: i dont like watching any sport btw)

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
You do make me laugh please tell every one how many of Arsenals opponents have had a leg broken this season? last season too if you want?

Lost count after the first few hundred attempts :rolleyes:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Marc said:
Enjoy watching some proper rugby ;)

First link would not work due to the Dubai Proxy. Second was very good. Impressive skills and not the tap and charge, rinse and repeat 5 times then kick that put me off the league game.

Problem in Dubai is that only the big league games are shown on TV. Most of the Sports TV is from the South African Super Sports Network so Union is shown all the time from NZ, Aus, GB, Fra and SA. Plus we get the Super 12's and Heineken Cup. We also get all the IRB 7's events. They are even shown onboard Emirates Sports Channel. So we are spoilt as far as the Union code goes.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Garnet said:

lol tit, who ever you support prolly got a spanking and you actually beliver the cheating arsenal chants rather than just admiting your team is shite?

either that or you know fuck all about arsenal and watch too much alan hansen.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Garnet said:

Thinks Roy Keane....Thinks Alf-Inge Harland...Thinks biography where Keane admits he went out to injure Harland....:twak: ...Thinks number of red cards Keane has earned playing for for Man Utd.

The fact that he tried to backtrack from his book to avoid disciplinary action shows what a complete dick he is. Great player but what a failure as a human being. Self centered prick.

Stats:

2004/05 season: Source ESPN soccernet

Yell Cards Red cards
Man Utd 73 5
Arsenal 72 4

For info Keane 12 Yellow Cards from 39 Games Started. Vierra 11 Yellows from 43 Games Started

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Thinks Roy Keane....Thinks Alf-Inge Harland...Thinks biography where Keane admits he went out to injure Harland....:twak: ...Thinks number of red cards Keane has earned playing for for Man Utd.

The fact that he tried to backtrack from his book to avoid disciplinary action shows what a complete dick he is. Great player but what a failure as a human being. Self centered prick.

Stats:

2004/05 season: Source ESPN soccernet

Yell Cards Red cards
Man Utd 73 5
Arsenal 72 4

For info Keane 12 Yellow Cards from 39 Games Started. Vierra 11 Yellows from 43 Games Started

I dont even support Man U but good post.

"lol tit, who ever you support prolly got a spanking and you actually beliver the cheating arsenal chants rather than just admiting your team is shite?"

The Arsenal player who dived both legs in first at someones shins should have got a spanking tbh.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Garnet said:
I dont even support Man U but good post.

"lol tit, who ever you support prolly got a spanking and you actually beliver the cheating arsenal chants rather than just admiting your team is shite?"

The Arsenal player who dived both legs in first at someones shins should have got a spanking tbh.

One tackle in one game makes us the worst team ever :wanker:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Garnet said:
That was one example stupid :wanker:

You see the funny thing is i know the tackle your on about because you came here spouting shit about it after the game and if it was that horiffic tell me who it was and who the opponents were?

Also tell me how many arsenal players have been sent off this year for dangerous play?

Taobitz

Fledgling Freddie
wasn't van persie or am i mistaken (memory aint wat it use to be)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom