:D

xD

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Sar said:
So which console is better then?

:D

xD
Xbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS L:££T LIEK A MINI PC I CAN PLAY MP3Z AVIS AND GAEMS ON IT.

It's just a shame the games are shit.

My real answer is PlayStation 2. You'd have to be tripping or a massive Nintendo fan (which I'll allow considering I spent all of Xmas day playing with my nephews GBA SP) to come up with a different answer tbh.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Playstation, massive selection of games something for everyone.

The ninetendo consoles only have a few good games which you can play without going mad at over the age of 10 years.

The rest are cutesy cutesy play wit me games, namely Yoshis island, and other ones like that. In other words there is literally fuck all "adult" games on the Nintendo consoles. :p

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
Iirc the gameboy is the most sold console in the world.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I've played my GBA SP more than any other console I own or have owned.

Xbox for 2nd place but only as I use it for MAME, Final Burn and Amiga Emu. Paradroid 90 gets hammered, what a quality game.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I love the machines I've got/had for different reasons although the one I most want to play on atm, sadly I no longer have one either, is the DC.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Gombur Glodson said:

mainly because its been out for nearly 10 years.

nearly every other console hasn't been around for 10 years, and the gameboy has had around 8 iterations of itself entirely, that couple million is marketing speil to over-inflate Nintendo's dying sector of the market.

its also not classed as a console but as a handheld, slight difference there.

snippet from a BBC news article about console sales decline
In September Sony confirmed its place as console king when it shipped its 60 millionth Playstation 2. In-Stat bluntly said that Microsoft and Nintendo have no hope of reaching such high numbers before their current consoles reach the end of their life.

showing that in effect the Playstation2 is currently market leader.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Actually the real reason the Gameboy is No.1 year after year is the lack of any real competition...until now.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Embattle said:
Actually the real reason the Gameboy is No.1 year after year is the lack of any real competition...until now.
N-Gage?

It's shit beyond belief! It's like a brick to hold, and it's a crap phone.

PS: I was taking the piss with this thread btw.

:)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Gombur Glodson said:

Most sold handheld console.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Handheld or otherwise, it still holds the title.

AFAIK :)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Nibbler said:
Megadrive. Thx.

was the best console for me with my Amiga 1200 a close second. I spent more tiome playing those than anything.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Xbox if you want to run 35000 emulated roms on it.

Also if you want to play the best versions of cross platform games

Also if you want to play stuff like Deus Ex: Invisible war, Sonic Heroes, Amped 2, Metal Arms: Glitch In The System, Star Wars : Kotor, Top Spin Tennis, Counterstrike, Armed And Dangerous, Otogi 1 and 2, Kung Fu Chaos, Killswitch, Rainbow Six 3, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Panzer Dragoon Oorta,

Thats a brief glance at the most played games i got atm.

Apart from a few PS2 exclusives (and i stress a few) there is no reason in getting the underpowered rival of the Xbox imo. Or you could just do what i did and buy the lot.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sar said:
N-Gage?

It's shit beyond belief! It's like a brick to hold, and it's a crap phone.

PS: I was taking the piss with this thread btw.

Sony's forthcoming PSP I meant :p

Sar

Part of the furniture
Doomy said:

Also if you want to play stuff like Deus Ex: Invisible war, Sonic Heroes, Amped 2, Metal Arms: Glitch In The System, Star Wars : Kotor, Top Spin Tennis, Counterstrike, Armed And Dangerous, Otogi 1 and 2, Kung Fu Chaos, Killswitch, Rainbow Six 3, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Panzer Dragoon Oorta,

Apart from a few PS2 exclusives (and i stress a few) there is no reason in getting the underpowered rival of the Xbox imo. Or you could just do what i did and buy the lot.

I'd argue about the games in bold - they're better on PC.

Also, if it's a straight choice between a game on XBox or on PC, there's no competition - PC every time.

How can the console version possibly compare?

Sar

Part of the furniture
Embattle said:
Sony's forthcoming PSP I meant :p
Fair do's, but it's still an unknown quantity atm, vapourware if you will.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Sar said:
I'd argue about the games in bold - they're better on PC.

Also, if it's a straight choice between a game on XBox or on PC, there's no competition - PC every time.

How can the console version possibly compare?

We clearly all have pc's, i thought this was a console thread ;)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Yeah, but you argued that the XBox versions were better...

Bodhi

Doomy said:

It worries me that people keep mentioning emulation as a reason to buy an Xbox. This just says to me that there aren't enough decent games for the console itself to fill the playing hours of a hardcore gamer. This is not a problem on PS2 however, with the widest selection of 4-star games and above on any console availible. If you can't find at least 5-10 games you like on PS2 you really are far too hard to please.

I would also disagree with the best version of cross-platform games, for two reasons. You have instances like with the EA games, which you can only play online with PS2 - meaning that if online gaming is your thing, the PS2 version of SSX or Tiger Woods will be the way to go. The other reason is the Xbox controller. I have played Soul Calibur 2 on both Xbox and PS2, and despite the Xbox's ever-so-slightly sharper graphics (and believe me there's very little in it), I far prefer the PS2 version, as some thought actually went into the design of the controller - meaning that if ergonomics are your thing, the PS2 version of any beat-em-up will be the way to go.

You say the PS2 has few exclusives, but lets look at them shall we?

Gran Turismo - the best driving game period.
Pro Evolution Soccer - the best footie game period.
Grand Theft Auto - before you start chirping about how the xbox has these too now, you'll face a similar wait to get GTA4. Sucks to have an Xbox sometimes.
The Getaway - cracking story-based crime sim. Ignore the bugs - you'll be having too much fun to care.
Virtua Fighter/Tekken - two of the biggest beat em up franchises out there.
Final Fantasy - best RPG series ever?
Wipeout Fusion - bit of a marmite game this one - you'll either love it or hate it. I love it.

You're right, there are only a few. Shame they're some of the best games on the market eh?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
It worries me that people keep mentioning emulation as a reason to buy an Xbox. This just says to me that there aren't enough decent games for the console itself to fill the playing hours of a hardcore gamer. This is not a problem on PS2 however, with the widest selection of 4-star games and above on any console availible. If you can't find at least 5-10 games you like on PS2 you really are far too hard to please.

I would also disagree with the best version of cross-platform games, for two reasons. You have instances like with the EA games, which you can only play online with PS2 - meaning that if online gaming is your thing, the PS2 version of SSX or Tiger Woods will be the way to go. The other reason is the Xbox controller. I have played Soul Calibur 2 on both Xbox and PS2, and despite the Xbox's ever-so-slightly sharper graphics (and believe me there's very little in it), I far prefer the PS2 version, as some thought actually went into the design of the controller - meaning that if ergonomics are your thing, the PS2 version of any beat-em-up will be the way to go.

You say the PS2 has few exclusives, but lets look at them shall we?

Gran Turismo - the best driving game period.
Pro Evolution Soccer - the best footie game period.
Grand Theft Auto - before you start chirping about how the xbox has these too now, you'll face a similar wait to get GTA4. Sucks to have an Xbox sometimes.
The Getaway - cracking story-based crime sim. Ignore the bugs - you'll be having too much fun to care.
Virtua Fighter/Tekken - two of the biggest beat em up franchises out there.
Final Fantasy - best RPG series ever?
Wipeout Fusion - bit of a marmite game this one - you'll either love it or hate it. I love it.

You're right, there are only a few. Shame they're some of the best games on the market eh?

Why dont you just put a sock in it, as i mentioned, i have all consoles (do you?) and appreciate as many PS2 exclusives as you do, as well as Gamecube exclusives and i have the best of both worlds. All i was doing was mentioning how many xbox exclusive titles there are on the xbox and appreciating the fact that there is PS2 exclusives to die for as well as xbox titles to die for (namely PGR2, Halo (oh and a certain sequel of that coming very soon))

As for wipeout, its certainly a marmite game but wip3out on ps1 is infinitley superior to the on rails crappy ps2 version. I love all the recent consoles just as much as each other but as far as a i am concerned, the whole functionality of the xbox is a preference of mine compared to the PS2 and i think you will also find that my penis isnt hardwired to my PS2 via the USB port.

Gran Turismo - the best driving game period. - Pretty much correct, tho the lack of damage really irritates me. PGR2 is fantastic, you should try it on Live before commenting on its crapness.

Pro Evolution Soccer - the best footie game period. - No doubt about that, tho winning 11 series is better. How i wish for Xbox live activated ISS footie. I guess ill just have to make do with the PS2 version eh?

Grand Theft Auto - before you start chirping about how the xbox has these too now, you'll face a similar wait to get GTA4. Sucks to have an Xbox sometimes. - Conversion is massively superior, a point i made earlier but yes the wait thing is annoying. Guess ill just have to get PS2 version, eh?

The Getaway - cracking story-based crime sim. Ignore the bugs - you'll be having too much fun to care. - Piss poor GTA clone, even true crimes is better and im not a big fan of that.

Virtua Fighter/Tekken - two of the biggest beat em up franchises out there. - Some would argue that Soul Calibur franchise is better, people like me in fact and yes its on Xbox

Final Fantasy - best RPG series ever? - Definately not, cinematic greatness, yes. Not an exlusive either, GC is getting a version.

Wipeout Fusion - bit of a marmite game this one - you'll either love it or hate it. I love it. - Play this if you havent played the last 3 (4 if you include collectors edition) Its shite, end of.

Believe what u want, im not fussed at all, you cant go wrong with the purchase of any console atm. I guess im just annoyed that you are putting people off the xbox with no real clue with what you are talking about.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey Bodhi, *hugs* & welcome back you dirty PS2 fanboy of the worst order :)

Bodhi

Doomy said:
Grand Theft Auto - before you start chirping about how the xbox has these too now, you'll face a similar wait to get GTA4. Sucks to have an Xbox sometimes. - Conversion is massively superior, a point i made earlier but yes the wait thing is annoying. Guess ill just have to get PS2 version, eh?

The Getaway - cracking story-based crime sim. Ignore the bugs - you'll be having too much fun to care. - Piss poor GTA clone, even true crimes is better and im not a big fan of that.

Virtua Fighter/Tekken - two of the biggest beat em up franchises out there. - Some would argue that Soul Calibur franchise is better, people like me in fact and yes its on Xbox

Final Fantasy - best RPG series ever? - Definately not, cinematic greatness, yes. Not an exlusive either, GC is getting a version.

Wipeout Fusion - bit of a marmite game this one - you'll either love it or hate it. I love it. - Play this if you havent played the last 3 (4 if you include collectors edition) Its shite, end of.

Believe what u want, im not fussed at all, you cant go wrong with the purchase of any console atm. I guess im just annoyed that you are putting people off the xbox with no real clue with what you are talking about.
I don't put a sock in it no. Not until you stop spewing lies and crap anyway.

Winning Eleven isn't better than the Pro Evolution Soccer series. It is the same damn game, just called Winning Eleven in Japan, Pro Evo over here. You will find the latest Winning Eleven is identical to Pro Evolution Soccer 3.

I never commented on PGR2's crapness, I just said the Gran Turismo games were better. Which I think i can safely say they are, from my experience with all 4 GT's and MSR and PGR1. I mean the MSR style series are all ok, but the handling isn't as convincing as the GT model and they tend to lack the depth on Polyphony's games (GT:Concept excluded - altho Ace mode and getting golds on all licence tests can help eke out an extra week's play or two).

I own all 4 wipeout games. Fusion is far from "on-rails" and "shite". It's easily the most demanding, best looking and most rewarding game in the series - it has a top soundtrack aswell. It is curious you mention 3 to be the best of the PS1 versions - it's pretty widely accepted that 2097 was the ultimate version on PS1.

I'll ignore your opinion on The Getaway - you obviously haven't given it a chance to get under your skin. It is nothing like the GTA games in the slightest - it's far more story based.

I don't have all three consoles no, I only have a PS2. Nintendo games really aren't my style (I can see the attraction tho). I have had a lot of play time on MS's console (two of my housemates have one - altho tellingly, they spend more time on my PS2 than their Xbox) and a lot of people such as yourself trying to convince me its the best thing both before and since sliced bread. I still don't see the point in buying one instead of a PS2. Sure the graphics are slightly nicer, but that is completely negated by the unwieldy and badly thought out controller.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Each to their own, at least that statement was better laid out than Xbox games are shit. And yeah, thats a quote :)

Oh and as far as wipeout is concerned, the whole point of Wipeout to me was the speed and the style. I prefered the gritty looks of 3 and i feel the series dropped a notch when the designers republic was ditched.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Why would anyone limit themselves to one console anyway? For the sake of the cost of a couple of mediocre games on one machine just buy another console and enjoy stuff on all of them. Of course, decent cable organisation can play a big factor when you have 4 consoles hooked up at any one time.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Other PS2 exclusives:

Ico, goddammit!
Kingdom Hearts, (Soon to have a sequel)
Devil May Cry 1 + 2,
Ratchet & Clank 1 + 2,
Metal Gear Solid 2:SoL, (Soon to have another sequel too)
Smackdown series (depends on taste though)

But when Front Mission 4 comes out here (and it will, wont it Square-Enix Europe), all other games will obsolete, including HL 2 and Halo 2.

Plus there's backwards compatability, so pretty much double what's already available for the PS2.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Winning Eleven isn't better than the Pro Evolution Soccer series. It is the same damn game, just called Winning Eleven in Japan, Pro Evo over here. You will find the latest Winning Eleven is identical to Pro Evolution Soccer 3.
Way off mark here I'm afraid. I have played a lot of PES/WE, and the games are not the same at all. KCET make a point of changing them. Your example, WE7 and PES3, is wrong too. PES3 gives you a much better chance of hitting the target from 18yds+, the game feels noticably different. The previous version was worse still. PES2 was a butchered WE6. WE6:FE wasn't even as good as WE6.

I can say this happily owning all 5 of the above games.

Bodhi

babs said:
Way off mark here I'm afraid. I have played a lot of PES/WE, and the games are not the same at all. KCET make a point of changing them. Your example, WE7 and PES3, is wrong too. PES3 gives you a much better chance of hitting the target from 18yds+, the game feels noticably different. The previous version was worse still. PES2 was a butchered WE6. WE6:FE wasn't even as good as WE6.

I can say this happily owning all 5 of the above games.
Wrong. From Gamespot,

The game, which is currently in development at the Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo studio, is the sequel to Pro Evolution Soccer 2, which was released in North America as Winning Eleven 6 International back in March.
Then, just when you thought it was safe to come out, IGN have a thing or two to say....

PES3 will be the same game as WE7, fully localized of course with stats and roster updates
taken from http://ps2.ign.com/articles/428/428187p1.html

You obviously need to spend a bit more time playing PES/WE tbh.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
WE6:I is not WE6 or WE6:FE. It was PES2 taken to the North American market. I didn't mention WE6:I once because it wasn't a Japanese title and was a one-off.

And you think it's me who needs to spend more time playing....? I have, can you say the same?

Have a word with the kind folks over at forums.evo-web.co.uk or www.issextreme.com or even www.pesfan.com and tell them the same thing, see how many of them agree with you ;)

Oh, and just to show I'm not above using the power of the quote...
However, whereas in the European versions Konami's changes are often rough and out of balance, the Final Evolution is a stunningly balanced and much-improved final version with many finely tuned nuances. PES2, while a superb game, pales in comparison to the Japanese games. The Japanese games in the series look noticeably sharper, play smoother and the small kinks have been ironed out of the gameplay

Taken from IGN's review (you know, that thing they do once they've actually played the game) of WE6:FE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom