Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)

Embattle

FH is my second home
It's likely a VoIP line now. Our BT one is and it's never been plugged in since we upgraded

Yeah it is but that doesn't change the fact it is rather annoying needing another router in front of my mesh system, seems to be working somewhat now.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You have home phones?!
Yeah they are useful if the power goes out on the cell towers in an emergency they dont require electricity in the house to charge. Virgins deals seem to always come with it also. Seems moree xpensive some times not to have it

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yeah they are useful if the power goes out on the cell towers in an emergency they dont require electricity in the house to charge. Virgins deals seem to always come with it also. Seems moree xpensive some times not to have it

Indded most data only plans seem more expensive in a lot of cases, plus some people only have our home number.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

And how many times has that happened in the last 5 years?

I don't think I have used a landline in at least 10 years apart from at the office

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Our BT line is disconnected. Everything through the new box...not that we actually have a house phone.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
And how many times has that happened in the last 5 years?

I don't think I have used a landline in at least 10 years apart from at the office
I agree but the second part about it being cheaper in the bundle with virgin than getting the other stuff without it applies.

we get calls on it once or twice a week. Tbh i dont use the phone much mobile or landline for calling people.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
This morning:

12641042820.png

This afternoon:

12641777788.png

I'm calling that an improvement. :clap:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Jealous of all you ultra fast people. Can't get anything beyond 70 here. Don't get me wrong, downloading at 7MB/s is nice sometimes but I'd love to download at 90MB/s :(

GReaper

Part of the furniture
13107570096.png

Could've had an Openreach fibre connection last year, but decided to wait a little bit longer as CityFibre were digging the roads around the same time as that became available.

I think it was worth the wait!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
View attachment 46118

Could've had an Openreach fibre connection last year, but decided to wait a little bit longer as CityFibre were digging the roads around the same time as that became available.

WTB that :< I switched over to Zen this year, no full fibre yet tho.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
View attachment 46118

Same connection round here, went with 100mb in the end.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Got the Topton Intel Celeron J4125 Mini PC, installed OpenWRT, setup Cake QoS.

Around 70% CPU load on 1 of the cores when downloading at full speed, and around 55% when uploading. Roughly 7.7 watts idle, 12-13 watts when under load.

Perfect!
I need to do something - it's a bit "first world problems" but the router side of the modem/router I got from my ISP panics when I'm downloading at any sort of decent speed and moving stuff across the wired network at gigabit speeds simultaneously. Like, it completely shits the bed and needs restarting - the internet is still connected and wireless still works but no computers on the wired network can see each other.

I think the best thing I can do is move the router duties to a dedicated router and just have the Livebox deal with the fibre connection. I have a trusty old Cisco E4200 with some flavour of Tomato on it that I could dust off and put back into service but the wireless on it is probably pants by today's standards and I wouldn't have the first idea about having DHCP for wireless only on the Livebox and DHCP for wired on the router - it sounds like a potential headache although I could set everything wired up with static IPs.

I also misreported the speed earlier in the thread when I got fibre - 942 Mbps was actually hitting the limit of the gigabit LAN, it's closer to 1.6 Gbps down when I push it with multiple machines. I feel awful for the deceit. :(

Last edited:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I need to do something - it's a bit "first world problems" but the router side of the modem/router I got from my ISP panics when I'm downloading at any sort of decent speed and moving stuff across the wired network at gigabit speeds simultaneously. Like, it completely shits the bed and needs restarting - the internet is still connected and wireless still works but no computers on the wired network can see each other.

I think the best thing I can do is move the router duties to a dedicated router and just have the Livebox deal with the fibre connection. I have a trusty old Cisco E4200 with some flavour of Tomato on it that I could dust off and put back into service but the wireless on it is probably pants by today's standards and I wouldn't have the first idea about having DHCP for wireless only on the Livebox and DHCP for wired on the router - it sounds like a potential headache although I could set everything wired up with static IPs.

I also misreported the speed earlier in the thread when I got fibre - 942 Mbps was actually hitting the limit of the gigabit LAN, it's closer to 1.6 Gbps down when I push it with multiple machines. I feel awful for the deceit. :(
:wanker::m00:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
942 Mbps was actually hitting the limit of the gigabit LAN, it's closer to 1.6 Gbps down when I push it with multiple machines. I feel awful for the deceit. :(
@MYstIC G I know you'll be relieved to hear that this is no longer an issue as my ISP has introduced a modem with a 2.5G LAN port. :clap:

13591513530.png

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
@MYstIC G I know you'll be relieved to hear that this is no longer an issue as my ISP has introduced a modem with a 2.5G LAN port. :clap:

13591513530.png
I don't have the swear words to adequately congratulate you ;)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Sadge, because I'm in a rural area my timeline for FTTP upgrade is between 2021 and 2026 :<

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH

13591513530.png
Is that in France? its impressive. When I lived there the ISPs (it was France Telecom for me) were very much third world. Much worse than in the UK. It looks like they have come long way.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Is that in France? its impressive. When I lived there the ISPs (it was France Telecom for me) were very much third world. Much worse than in the UK. It looks like they have come long way.

Everywhere has the haves and the have nots ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think it depends on the department. I've been in France for ~15 years and the first couple of those, the only option was dial-up because the distance to the exchange (12km) was too great for ADSL. Then they put in a sub-exchange which was closer but still right on the limit (8km) with speeds of ~1Mbps on a good day.

I moved to a different department in 2018 (Aude > Herault) and got straight on ~12Mbps ADSL with the promise that fibre was "coming". Herault are making a massive effort to get fibre rolled out... on their deployment microsite basically the whole department is either already eligible or "eligible soon". Meanwhile, Aude are crawling along with their deployment and several big towns (3000+ pop) over there aren't even close to getting it and my old village has come to the conclusion that they'll never get better land-based internet and have done something via satellite with Nordnet.

As for the ISPs themselves, I've only got experiences with Orange (who were FT when I moved). My circumstances weren't really their fault (France has the same population as the UK but in an area 3 times the size so there's just more infrastructure needed to connect everything) but their service has always been good and they responded quickly when we had (pretty frequent) outages at the old place. It's private firms doing a lot of the main deployment work (XpFibre do a lot around here and nationally) and then the ISP will swoop in at the end and connect customers so I guess there's not a whole lot they can do to accelerate the process.

Last edited:

Embattle

FH is my second home
I know around here in Devon Jurassic Fibre are aggressively priced compared to the providers on BTs network, currently they are offering:

£40 - 950 Mb/s
£25 - 450 Mb/s
£20 - 150 Mb/s

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So a couple of weeks ago several OpenReach vans descended upon the estate where I live, climbing the poles, lifting panels to gain access to the ducts etc.

Decided the other day to go speak to the engineer working on the pole right outside my house and as I got nearer I saw he was splicing fibre. OOOOOOH. So wanting to sound cool I asked if he was preparing for FTTP and he said yes, the whole estate is being fibred up and should be available sometime in January to order after they have finished testing.

So I am being offered 900/900 with no throttling/traffic shaping for £25 pm in an 18mth contract. Take my fucking order already, don't make me wait.

Embattle

FH is my second home
So a couple of weeks ago several OpenReach vans descended upon the estate where I live, climbing the poles, lifting panels to gain access to the ducts etc.

Decided the other day to go speak to the engineer working on the pole right outside my house and as I got nearer I saw he was splicing fibre. OOOOOOH. So wanting to sound cool I asked if he was preparing for FTTP and he said yes, the whole estate is being fibred up and should be available sometime in January to order after they have finished testing.

So I am being offered 900/900 with no throttling/traffic shaping for £25 pm in an 18mth contract. Take my fucking order already, don't make me wait.

900/900 for £25, that doesn't sound right...sounds too good.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
900/900 for £25, that doesn't sound right...sounds too good.

That's one of many now enticing customers to sign up to the newly fibre poles around where I live. The BT OpenReach guy said come January/February you get flooded with offers.

Embattle

FH is my second home

That's one of many now enticing customers to sign up to the newly fibre poles around where I live. The BT OpenReach guy said come January/February you get flooded with offers.

Amazing price that, I see they use their our network much like Jurassic Fibre around here which offers 950/200 for £40.

I wouldn't count on a flood of offers from providers who use Openreach even with a cheaper provider using their own network in an area. As an example here BT do 900/110 for £27.99 for 3 months followed £55.99 a month for 21 months and £29.99 upfront. Another on Openreach is Talktalk and for Fibre 900 they want £49 a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom