Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
BT sent two flyers to my place, the first with the pricing you had, the second with lower costs. So try checking this link to see if you can lower that down: www.bt.com/fullfibrenow
Thanks for that £29.99 - 10 quid cheaper - same as I'm paying now - bargain - just waiting for them to upgrade my poles - hopefully by next month.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So it all went in last Friday :clap:

Could not be any happier to see the back of Talk talk, seriously speed aside it's just such a more stable connection. That said speaking of speed...

Screenshot_20201120-213845.jpg

New first world problems now though as on the extended powerline connection only getting this
Screenshot_20201120-213737.jpg

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes powerline adaptors can drop the speed somewhat.
Aye. I didn't even notice before as the incoming connection was never fast enough for it to be an issue.

Only thing I have noticed is that the inbuilt speed measurements between the adapters have decreased over time.

They also might have been in service for too long now as they've basically been running continuously since 2015!

I probably need to play around a bit to see if that's just because there is more stuff plugged in so more electrical interference.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
There are a few things I usually do to troubleshoot. First I would power cycle all the powerlines as they seem to go a daft after a while.

You could also try to see if you are maxed at 100 mbps for the LAN because you have an old device or cable on the network. You might be able to log into your powerline's software to see what speed the LAN is rated at.

The other thing I'd try is to to put the affected powerline on a socket next to the powerline connected to the router and run a speed test (using network cable or your internet download). I usually run multiple file downloads from a high speed USB mapped network drive or my NAS (both connected to the router - and convert Mbps to mbps). The main PITA with powerlines is running them across different ring circuits - it degrades the speed and sometimes attached devices can also pull the speed down. If you put them next to each other you can see how the powerline itself is performing and hopefully you can tell if its faulty.

I have a stinker of a networking problem at the moment. I have powerlines bridging my router inside my house to a tp link antenna cps510 that fires into my office across the driveway and provides me with a WAN. Late in the day I lose network connection every six minutes regular as clockwork for about 2 seconds. I thought it was the powerlines but I recently found that the WAN drops the wifi connection - I can't understand what's gong on. Its driving me nuts.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
There are a few things I usually do to troubleshoot. First I would power cycle all the powerlines as they seem to go a daft after a while.

You could also try to see if you are maxed at 100 mbps for the LAN because you have an old device or cable on the network. You might be able to log into your powerline's software to see what speed the LAN is rated at.

The other thing I'd try is to to put the affected powerline on a socket next to the powerline connected to the router and run a speed test (using network cable or your internet download). I usually run multiple file downloads from a high speed USB mapped network drive or my NAS (both connected to the router - and convert Mbps to mbps). The main PITA with powerlines is running them across different ring circuits - it degrades the speed and sometimes attached devices can also pull the speed down. If you put them next to each other you can see how the powerline itself is performing and hopefully you can tell if its faulty.

I have a stinker of a networking problem at the moment. I have powerlines bridging my router inside my house to a tp link antenna cps510 that fires into my office across the driveway and provides me with a WAN. Late in the day I lose network connection every six minutes regular as clockwork for about 2 seconds. I thought it was the powerlines but I recently found that the WAN drops the wifi connection - I can't understand what's gong on. Its driving me nuts.
I'll give those a try @smurkin thanks. Annoyingly our office has a fluke network tester that I could do with borrowing for an evening to test cables and such but that's not going to happen right now.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So, interestingly I just noticed something after the power in our building was shut off temporarily.

Brought my main rig back up first to get the powerline adapters sorted out. Devolo software tells me the sync speed is 100 Mbit/s higher than it has been of late.

Past thinking "Hmm... that's weird" I don't pay it much attention as I fire up my NAS now the networking is back up. Wham, powerline connection instantly drops down.

So, looks like the power draw from the NAS is causing my issues :(

I've always had gang plug for main rig + everything else in one wall socket off the powerline adapter, NAS in second wall socket next to it.

Could also explain why the issue has gotten worse over time as I've added more drives to the NAS.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So, interestingly I just noticed something after the power in our building was shut off temporarily.

Brought my main rig back up first to get the powerline adapters sorted out. Devolo software tells me the sync speed is 100 Mbit/s higher than it has been of late.

Past thinking "Hmm... that's weird" I don't pay it much attention as I fire up my NAS now the networking is back up. Wham, powerline connection instantly drops down.

So, looks like the power draw from the NAS is causing my issues :(

I've always had gang plug for main rig + everything else in one wall socket off the powerline adapter, NAS in second wall socket next to it.

Could also explain why the issue has gotten worse over time as I've added more drives to the NAS.
Could be a noisy powersupply in the NAS?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Could be a noisy powersupply in the NAS?
Yeah, might be. Hoping it isn't as I think it's got a pretty decent Seasonic in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom