FH Fitness Thread

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Just bashed out a quick john o groats to lands end.
That was fun.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Holy...the missus wants to do it.

I want to do groats to lands end , so we can end up on the piss in Newquay.

Was that the reason..or just groats looks so depressing to end such an epic ride

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Holy...the missus wants to do it.

I want to do groats to lands end , so we can end up on the piss in Newquay.

Was that the reason..or just groats looks so depressing to end such an epic ride

It's way better to finish in cornwall where you can then bugger off to a bunch of different nice places for a day or two than to end in john o groats where there is one cafe and a chippy and fuck all for miles, and you'd immediately want to get home to escape the bleakness up there.

The downside is, using mywindsock.com and summing up every day we rode an extra 218 miles of effort due to doing almost every day into significantly more headwind than tailwind.

It's also probably easier than you think, if you can do two back to back 60-70 mile rides at your normal pace then you can drop that pace down, eat a bit more and do longer days without the stress you'll find it surprisingly doable even if you think you're not ready.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
If you search a lot of sites says its a myth and you can have headwinds going either way on a very local scale and its mostly luck.
More important is not finishing in bleaksville.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
C'mon @ECA. More details - full writeup.

Want to know how many of you. What type of bikes. What you carried. Did you camp or bnb. Where did you stop etc. etc.?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
C'mon @ECA. More details - full writeup.

Want to know how many of you. What type of bikes. What you carried. Did you camp or bnb. Where did you stop etc. etc.?

So - 4 of us, myself, @Taglim, another 2 friends. Road bikes ( obv - we're not retarded ), went super light - I started off with -

2 short sleeve jerseys, one long, bib tights, arm warmers, leg warmers, light jacket, waterproof jacket, I only took MTB shoes so I didn't have to carry any - everyone else took bike shoes+shoes.
Once we got a few days in we all sent stuff home ( and the colder days were out of the way ) - I ditched the lighter jacket ( would've kept a gilet tbh ), and the extra jersey+long jersey+bib tight as the forecast wasn't gonna be cold enough to need anything more than the arm/leg warmers after that.

We mostly B&Bd , no camping ( honestly madmen ).
I'm editing up my strava so it has all the stops in the descriptions of the days or I'd post a bit more.

Best bits imo - coastal roads in Scotland on the A9 were incredible, when we dipped into Wales and road through some of the forests/valleys, and riding into and away from glasgow ( saw some deer on the ncr approaching glasgow and the scenery leaving is pretty great as well ).

Worst bits - any section where you go through or past a major city, the B7076 which was the main road before the A74 and M6 - no potholes/etc but the road surface was so poor it was hand numbness for everyone - also there's not a lot of the way in food stops around there - all the small towns/cafes got decimated by service stations.

A82 in scotland was terrible - just homicidal tourists leaving loch ness and driving like complete cocktards, but the cycle routes off it are mostly dirt walking tracks so it's really the only option if it's in your route.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Awesome m8. Good info too - will keep that in mind.

Pics? :)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
If you search a lot of sites says its a myth and you can have headwinds going either way on a very local scale and its mostly luck.
More important is not finishing in bleaksville.

And yet you want to go to Newquay? Have you been it's like someone took a shit on a shithole, then sprinkled shit on top. Think Great Yarmouth only shitter...

Travel a mile outside of Newquay and it's lovely, but the centre is a chav filled shithole. (Did I say it's shit?)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
And awesome thing ECA. I'd love to do an adventure like that some day. Would love to read more, see pics too.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And yet you want to go to Newquay? Have you been it's like someone took a shit on a shithole, then sprinkled shit on top. Think Great Yarmouth only shitter...

Travel a mile outside of Newquay and it's lovely, but the centre is a chav filled shithole. (Did I say it's shit?)
Problem is, Fistral's great.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Other halves sister used to have a hotel on that run to the left of Fistral looking out to sea, they sold that up and bought a house just above Lusty Glaze beach.Everything from those extremes outwards is beautiful, everything inside is ugh. Far nicer places to unwind at that end of the country at the end of an adventure.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fuck me my fitness has taken a nosedive during lockdown - despite the move to Wales.

Just got back from our first time at Coed Y Brenin in a year. Stay local has gone so I thought we'd shoot over there as it's less than an hour away.

I know the place well so we did a route of a little over 12 miles, 1500 odd feet of elevation gain. Should be an absolute breeze. But I'm fucked. It took nearly four hours. I could have almost walked it faster.

I know I'm back on keto (need to shift some of the weight I've put on) so my top-end is shot (anerobic - you *have* to burn carbs when you're anerobic - so you lose maybe the top 15% of your power). But jeezuz.

I would take the opportunity to go and do a few very long gentle rides - low heart rate stuff that beefs up endurance. But Wales.

First world fitness problems I guess. What really needs to happen is the 12 hour days need to fuck right off so I can ride more :)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Fuck me my fitness has taken a nosedive during lockdown - despite the move to Wales.

Just got back from our first time at Coed Y Brenin in a year. Stay local has gone so I thought we'd shoot over there as it's less than an hour away.

I know the place well so we did a route of a little over 12 miles, 1500 odd feet of elevation gain. Should be an absolute breeze. But I'm fucked. It took nearly four hours. I could have almost walked it faster.

I know I'm back on keto (need to shift some of the weight I've put on) so my top-end is shot (anerobic - you *have* to burn carbs when you're anerobic - so you lose maybe the top 15% of your power). But jeezuz.

I would take the opportunity to go and do a few very long gentle rides - low heart rate stuff that beefs up endurance. But Wales.

First world fitness problems I guess. What really needs to happen is the 12 hour days need to fuck right off so I can ride more :)

Everytime i seen a nice wide gravel path in that video I shed a little tear. Apart from the Wirral way (which isn't the best) I've done no good white roads this winter. Not been able to get to any forests anywhere. Clocks go forward tonight/tomorrow morning so can start getting out after work, but the weather is warming up and am feeling the urge to hit the roads. So I think the winter bike will go to bed soon.

I am a bit jealous though.

I know what you mean about fitness, I tried to maintain mine on trainers, but it's not the same.

On a sad note. My treadmill blow up on Wednesday, roller seized and took our the motor and the house electrics(trip switch).

On happy note 1. My new Nordictrack will be hear next week. :)
On happy note 2. Some sportive events are taking signups this year so might have something to look forward to. LCL Chester Challenge and Cheshire Cat are in my sights. :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Been working on getting my 5k time down recently. Not going so well. No matter how much I stick at running I can never seem to enjoy it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Been working on getting my 5k time down recently. Not going so well. No matter how much I stick at running I can never seem to enjoy it.
So don't run, do something else you do enjoy?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I give up when things are hard, so running and gym are just a no-no for me.

Biking works because if I don't keep going I don't get home (and the downhills are fun). Kayaking works because if I don't keep paddling I'll drown :)

What's your 5k time at then? I'd love to be able to push myself into running - it's such a good way to get fit.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Just put away a huge curry. It’s a bit painful now but worth it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pre-covid I played sports but obviously not been able to do anything other than run recently...
You tried skipping rope?

For me it was always exhausting (so stopped) but a friend took it up in lockdown and can now do all the cool tricks - so it's not just the cardio workout but also a mental challenge.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What do you do for non-cardio work @Aoami? Or don't you bother?

I can't find anything I can build-in to my life that I enjoy that works with a five day a week desk job.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Everytime i seen a nice wide gravel path in that video I shed a little tear. Apart from the Wirral way (which isn't the best) I've done no good white roads this winter.
You'll be allowed into Wales from 12th April. But I think the pubs will still be shut - which is a fucking joke tbh. (If the pubs are open in England from 12th April they should be open here). You could hit up Llandegla or Offas Dyke or anthing around Llangollen - not too far out.

You been hitting up Thurstaston and around there in lockdown?

Bob007

Prince Among Men
You'll be allowed into Wales from 12th April. But I think the pubs will still be shut - which is a fucking joke tbh. (If the pubs are open in England from 12th April they should be open here). You could hit up Llandegla or Offas Dyke or anthing around Llangollen - not too far out.

You been hitting up Thurstaston and around there in lockdown?

Wirral Way, Thurstaston, Landican lane, Coastal paths Meols - New Brighton. Thats been my winter this year. Bit different from Delamere, Llandegla and Mortimer Forest (Ludlow is such a nice place) from last year.

Winter bike was wrapped up and put away today and the roadie has been checked over and serviced. I just need a route now, Wirral isn't that hilly so for now be mostl;y flat stuff., hoping I can get into Wales when it opens up a bit next month, but, am also not building my hopes up :). Roads around Frodsham are ok, thats were i spent last summer, but doesn't have the same feel as the road over Bwlch PenBarras or Moel Arthur.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been cycling without change throughout lockdown, but when I get home there's absolutely fuck all to do so....I eat. That's not an issue when I've been out riding, but when the weather is shit I still eat. I did 8,500 miles last year and still put weight on.

So I'm hoping for a month of nice, storm-free weather where I can burn off the stone or so I've put on in the last year. Frustrating that jeans are getting tight again.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wirral Way, Thurstaston, Landican lane, Coastal paths Meols - New Brighton. Thats been my winter this year. Bit different from Delamere, Llandegla and Mortimer Forest (Ludlow is such a nice place) from last year.

Winter bike was wrapped up and put away today and the roadie has been checked over and serviced. I just need a route now, Wirral isn't that hilly so for now be mostl;y flat stuff., hoping I can get into Wales when it opens up a bit next month, but, am also not building my hopes up :). Roads around Frodsham are ok, thats were i spent last summer, but doesn't have the same feel as the road over Bwlch PenBarras or Moel Arthur.
It's a nice place to ride. It helps to have a world heritage site as a backdrop on one side of the wirral and the mountains of wales on the other. :)

But yep. 100% it's nice to get to alternative places and see different things or it starts to feel a bit like work. I had a blat around the Clwydians a few years back when it was 36 degrees. Was *hard* work!

Wish I could stomach road biking - there's loads of cool places to go see around here. But as soon as the cars come back it's just shit for me. Last time I was on the road - coming down the hill into Betws with my g/f - doing about 25mph a middle aged bald men in a hairdresser car started shouting obscenities punishment passed me. The road was clear on the other side, the o/h was on the pavement so there was only little me about 18 inches from the kerb, yet still the shit.

Roads were dead. I was probably the only cyclist he had to pass all day on his empty empty roads - and still he was a dick.

Still. First world problems. Plenty of off-road stuff here :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've been cycling without change throughout lockdown, but when I get home there's absolutely fuck all to do so....I eat. That's not an issue when I've been out riding, but when the weather is shit I still eat. I did 8,500 miles last year and still put weight on.

So I'm hoping for a month of nice, storm-free weather where I can burn off the stone or so I've put on in the last year. Frustrating that jeans are getting tight again.
Can't believe you manage to put weight on when you're such a monster. 8500 miles ain't no joke.

You tried just not having anything but really healthy food in the house? I stress-eat or just snack because I've come downstairs to avoid more tedious jobbery but at the moment all I've got to snack on are carrots or cabbages. I still eat them, mind. But I ain't going to be putting weight on eating like a rabbit.

I've put on a couple of stone in the last year or so. Eating badly. Back on keto, good stuff in the house, it's dropping off rapidly.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The days where I ride are fine, I always end up with a calorie deficit. It's the days when I can't because of the weather. For some reason I eat too much and don't feel full.

It isn't an issue when I'm working because I have other things to do, but in lockdown, no riding due to weater, nothing else to do = eat. Hopefully the weather has turned now though and I can get a solid month of riding and dieting in.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The days where I ride are fine, I always end up with a calorie deficit. It's the days when I can't because of the weather. For some reason I eat too much and don't feel full.

It isn't an issue when I'm working because I have other things to do, but in lockdown, no riding due to weater, nothing else to do = eat. Hopefully the weather has turned now though and I can get a solid month of riding and dieting in.
I get a bit of that Tom - just could eat and eat and eat.

I find that if I'm not on a low carb diet (I'm on keto at the moment - so weight is dropping off, because I'm not hungry) - then I crave food. Carbs just make me want to eat more, make me crave food.

The o/h and I both look forward to our bouts of keto because being free from hunger is really liberating.

Not sure why it is. Perhaps leptin resistance drops with a low carb diet (interesting article) but whatever it is, when I'm on keto and doing a long endurance bike ride (not high heart rate stuff) I can literally go all day and not eat a thing, get back home and begrudge cooking dinner.

Of course, stick me on a lung busting technical climb and I've no available carbs to burn, so I'm shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom