FFXI Online

FFXI Online

ive heard a lot about this game, sony mucking you about with world passes or sumfin similar, well i dont have any friends on FFXI :mad: so that doesnt bother me. Im a long long long time player of ALL FF games even the gameboy ones!! woot!! is it any good? it looks awesome but some says its a little childish in content? have they annouced if any PvP is going to happen? and whats the lvl grind like? Less/More than DOAC?

thanks for any input.!

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Elewyth(TLSOA) said:
FFXI Online

ive heard a lot about this game, sony mucking you about with world passes or sumfin similar, well i dont have any friends on FFXI :mad: so that doesnt bother me. Im a long long long time player of ALL FF games even the gameboy ones!! woot!! is it any good? it looks awesome but some says its a little childish in content? have they annouced if any PvP is going to happen? and whats the lvl grind like? Less/More than DOAC?

thanks for any input.!

Childish content? Maybe in Windhurst where the Tarutaru live :) But uhh.. it's not a bad thing.

The level grind... hmm. Of course, it takes a lot longer to get high level. But imo it isn't a grind like daoc is, because daoc PVE isn't fun. I enjoy FFXI PVE (it's a PVE game, duh :\). At higher level, waiting for groups is the worst part.. the levels don't take a huge amount longer than the low levels do.

All in all, it's worth buying and using the trial month. If you don't like it, cancel it. I'd try find somewhere with people from daoc you can talk to/get advice from while playing, it's quite hard to learn otherwise.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
There is no 'level grind' - PvE is fun. Oh, and there's no PvP either, although it will be implemented soon (Albeit in a slightly watered down form).

Squalion

Fledgling Freddie
TaruTaru's are the best tbh :)

i have the game played a while but just found making cash was too hard for me, being a BLM (Black Mage) , as they have the most spells to buy lol.

the GFX are sweet, and the game has a lot of smooth animations, i get absolutley no lag, and loading time from area to area is like, 4seconds!! even into main towns etc.

the quest system in the game is the best i've seen, kinda hard to explain at the moment, but its done wonderfully.

duno what else to say, its a nice game, but not everyone's cup of tea, i still play daoc beacuse i love my ranjar ^^

Delrith

Fledgling Freddie
I stopped playing FFXI online before my free month ran out :( got bored of it :/

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Squalion said:
i have the game played a while but just found making cash was too hard for me, being a BLM (Black Mage) , as they have the most spells to buy lol.
Black Mage here too, making 20,000 - 30,000 a day, if I want to. Without really making an effort.
You need money to make money though, but to get that initial capital you need is much much easier in FFXI than Daoc :)
( given that you know how, ofc )

Anyway, there isn't much of a level grind in the game, much thanks to the fact that the fun doesn't start when you reach the top level, like in Daoc.

Remember when you first started Daoc? Leveling back then didn't feel like a grind, mostly because you were still exploring the world, everything was new and you didn't really know about the end-game.

That's what FFXI is at the moment. :)

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Dont listen to whisp, she is evil and wants to drag you away to her evil world where Child-like people are paid to /panic and giant chickens are enslaved for the amusement of oddly deformed elves with a clear posture problem.

My main problem with FFXI was the interface and the controls, hated them lots and never got used to it. If you're a PvE person and genuinely enjoy taking your time with things, then you might like FFXI. I thought I did, but I dont - I need to be able to compete with people, I need to have a goal to putting time into my char and I need to understand the maths behind the game, and EXACTLY why raising certain stats does certain things. That is why FFXI is not for me... :(

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
BlitheringIdiot said:
My main problem with FFXI was the interface and the controls, hated them lots and never got used to it.

I'm sorry but this is silly. If you stop trying to play it like daoc, you'd realise just how good the interface & controls are. I love being able to do everything without a mouse.

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
ST^ said:
I'm sorry but this is silly. If you stop trying to play it like daoc, you'd realise just how good the interface & controls are. I love being able to do everything without a mouse.
Perhaps I missed something then but...

"Ok here we go, time to pwn that evil looking rabbit thing"
<Nearest target>
<selects bee thing>
<Nearest target>
<selects caterpillar thing>
<nearest target>
<selects signpost>
<nearest target>
<targets name turns red>
<fucking tarutaru monk is already in combat with the god damn rabbit thing, time to start over>

Then theres the fact that you have to go into combat mode, before you can stick to the mobs. Then you run at them gayly, and the camera changes to some stupid angle... In groups its abotu 10 times worse.

My sole opinions of course... :p

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Squalion said:
what level? :eek:
24 atm ( thanks to rerolling quite a few times :p ), but the money-making is regardless of level ( well, above 10 would be nice ) and job, but I ain't letting you know how - just that it's possible ( actually, nice safe cash can be made from mobs at level 3-8, ~ 5,000 per outing - start using signet ! :p )

And BI, you can change the controls to your liking if you set them to compact mode. You can also stick to mobs before entering combat mode. ( Lock using * on numeric keypad and then 7+8 to stick and run up to them ).

Selecting target is only difficult in extreme rare situations where panic is involved ( getting flooded with adds for instance, trying to find which to Sleep and which to attack can be bothersome - but <bt> helps for the last one ).

Get used to it, and you'll love it. But why for the love of .. hmm... :m00: do some people give up before actually trying? It's like entering a contest with the purpose of losing.

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
I came, I saw, I broke multiple fishing rods, I gained lvl11, I annoyed sharma, I made a short movie clip, I conquered!

Was a pleasant break from DAoC, but ultimately the lack of PvP and competition is and will always be what did it for me.

Though I still think the controls are harder to get used to that they were with DAoC.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
st is like lvl 41 rdm

he made a lot of money by looking for cheap stuff on bazaar or something and selling it at ah

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
BlitheringIdiot said:
Perhaps I missed something then but...

"Ok here we go, time to pwn that evil looking rabbit thing"
<Nearest target>
<selects bee thing>
<Nearest target>
<selects caterpillar thing>
<nearest target>
<selects signpost>
<nearest target>
<targets name turns red>
<fucking tarutaru monk is already in combat with the god damn rabbit thing, time to start over>

Then theres the fact that you have to go into combat mode, before you can stick to the mobs. Then you run at them gayly, and the camera changes to some stupid angle... In groups its abotu 10 times worse.

My sole opinions of course... :p

You act as if nearest target is hard work? Just press KP0 a few times.. owwww that was hard! Isn't it the same in daoc? You can use your mouse here too.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
First 2 weeks of FFXI were great.

Sweet graphics, nicely immersive atmosphere, lots of friendly people, fun quests, Mithra BLM was great, only think i saw one other and being kinda unique was nice.

Then the lvl grind began and its not pretty.

13-20 is a nightmare, so i moved on to crafting and scamming others thru the bazarre (not really scamming, but exploiting-the-daft-for-fun-and-profit) and doing all the low lvl quests (almost).

Then i hit the wall where i really had to level to acomplish anythign else in the game and just couldnt face it, group dynamics are a little too complicated to be fun imo and forced grouping is not my brand of enjoyment.

Still, it's a pretty good game, but nothing special :)

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
There is no level grind in FFXI. Only problem I have with it atm is you cant solo in it at all except for farming money.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
I can't really think of a decent reply to this, apart from that if you are interested in it then try it! Some like it, some don't, simple as that. I personally hated the controls when I first started, but after some very good tips and advice from Whisperess I'm fine with it now. Hell, I couldn't even run in a straight line when I first started!

The only thing I'd have to say is that you need patience and perseverence. Sometimes you could be waiting an hour plus for a group, but believe me it's worth it because if you go solo you'd be getting 1/10th of the experience, plus loads of downtime, plus the travelling time to an easy area, it's just not worth it. Other times tho, you could get a group within seconds of putting yout LFG flag on. Of course, if you prefer to solo there's nothing to stop you. Just realise that you won't get anywhere near the amount of experience, and you are missing out on great combat tactics and meeting new peoples and going to different areas.

There is always something to do - you can cook or craft, go on quests, missions, even supply quests if you want to go for a run around. Everything you kill drops something of use. Most of the items you can hand in for fame, which makes you more well known with the npc's, therefore opening up more quests and making items like spells and crafting ingredients cheaper. The rest you can sell on the auction house and you will get a lot more money than selling to npc's.

Well I wasn't going to write much but now I got carried away, just my 2 cents :)

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Whisp moved to Bismarck?

...and after all that preaching about how we shouldnt all go to the same server... :p

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
BlitheringIdiot said:
Whisp moved to Bismarck?

...and after all that preaching about how we shouldnt all go to the same server... :p
Indeed we did. Entire NightWind moved from Pandemonium to Bismarck and merged into Aurora.

We're no longer in Aurora though. Haven't picked up a LS-pearl yet after the whatnow, third color change? ( this last one was understandable though ), and don't think I want to do it for various reasons that I won't write here :)

I still stand by my opinion that not all europeans should flock to the same server though, and I cba to repeat the reasons for it.

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Aww bless, reading between the lines its clear that you now see that I was right all along (as always), glad you came to see the truth...

Apology accepted!

:)p)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
BlitheringIdiot said:
Aww bless, reading between the lines its clear that you now see that I was right all along (as always), glad you came to see the truth...

Apology accepted!

:)p)
.|.. :)

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
[QUOTE='Shy]I want hugs aswell!!!!!!!!11[/QUOTE]
But how would I know its you?!

fakeshy.PNG

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
[QUOTE='Shy]:mad:[/QUOTE]
IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!

She keeps coming back! And I dont know what to do. And her husband is really ugly though. And she has two kids who always cry and ask for money to go and get a chocolate bar. And I never tell them its out of order. And they go over and try to get a bar. And they cant. And it eats their money. And I say 'sorry it snot homebase owned but if you phone the number on the side they will refund you'. And fakeshy melts.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
I bet she didn't really say she was Shy tho :(

And anyways i thought you quit. Bet you went grovelling back to them, hahah, ooo I think I shall come and visit you at the weekend!

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
[QUOTE='Shy]I bet she didn't really say she was Shy tho :(

And anyways i thought you quit. Bet you went grovelling back to them, hahah, ooo I think I shall come and visit you at the weekend![/QUOTE]
I quit and then THEY came grovelling back to me!

(well more like they didnt actually know I had quit and one day just phoned and asked where I was, so I just went back).

There are at least 3-4 geeky looking males who work there, and you dont know which one is me!

Also if you go in when fakeshy goes in then you'll be sucked into nothingness, antimatter + matter = black hole. It will the destroy St Albans. We cant take that risk :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom