Advice Online purchase, distance selling regulations

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Same old story.

Bought a lens from a place called "UK Digital", by far the best price online. Got the lens, did some testing and it looks like it's decentered slightly (blurred in the bottom corners wide open, but not the top corners) and therefore I want to return it as it is defective for another copy.

I wrote them an email with samples attached demonstrating the issue and that I wanted to return the item for another copy. They've come back with:

"All we can do is compare with another lens. If you send back to us with a covering letter and a copy of your invoice we will test and determine if there is any issue"

As far as I was aware, regardless if it is faulty, I am still within the 7 day cooling off period so I can return it for a full refund; faulty or not?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well, I'll answer, although I assume you still have me on ignore; Yes you're in the cooling off period, they're not an exempted category so they have to accept a return. You can return it for any reason. Get ready to throw trading standards at them and contact your card provider if they play silly buggers.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
There you go :)

From the possibly ignored DaGaffer Well, I'll answer, although I assume you still have me on ignore; Yes you're in the cooling off period, they're not an exempted category so they have to accept a return. You can return it for any reason. Get ready to throw trading standards at them and contact your card provider if they play silly buggers.

old.user4556

I don't really read things here these days so not ignoring anything.

Thanks Gaff. I didn't even bother wasting any time with them and stated I was still within the 7 day cooling off period, blah blah, full refund. They've come back to me and said "fine".

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't / wouldn't offer to swap it. Maybe their prices are cheap for a reason.

old.user4556

A bloke with QC issues on two brand new Sony lenses!

old.user4556

In fairness I've had QC issues with every lens manufacturer I bought from - Pentax, Canon, Sigma and now Sony.

My Pentax 17-70mm had to go for repair, my Canon 50mm had to go for a service because it never autofocussed properly, my Canon 17-55mm let in a load of dust that was only getting worse, my Canon 15-85mm is decentered to the point that the top right corner permanently vignettes regardless of aperture and my Sigma 10-20mm in Canon mount was just rubbish so I sold it (disappointed as my Pentax mount was awesome).

The Sony 10-18mm has got to be the best UWA I've ever used. It's fantastic, so sharp, optically stabilised - it's just got a slight decentering issue which is worst at 18mm and for £700 I expect it to be perfect. The 20mm f/2.8 pancake is the same - great lens, but it's softer at the bottom than at the top, so it's going back.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Sounds like user error to me :whistle:

*runs and hides......*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom