Advice Decent (free) online courses...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, now I've sorted out my remote web access gateway and can access whatever I like in my "slack periods" (read: most of the time) at work I've decided to up-skill.

I was thinking of learning HTML5 so I can build my own websites with secure payment portals. But tbh I've little idea where to start and rather than make n00b mistakes or miss out on good advice early on I thought I'd ask those in the know :)

What's a good free online resource for learning all this gubbins? Is HTML5 the right idea? Is there anything else I need to be considering?

Basically - where should I be going and what should I be looking at? Help me you gurus! :D

Oh Yeah, and @TdC will be posting free pictures of his c0X0rz pressed up against @Deebs' nose for those of you who don't help ;)

leggy

Probably Scottish
I've found the standard of teaching at www.coursera.org (open source and free courses) to be fairly high. There is a decent range of subject matter from philosophy through to real subjects like Engineering (awaits flameage). The work is assessed via deadlined coursework and online testing and the subjects are delivered through lectures, groupwork etc. There is also online resource for interacting and getting advice from other students.

It's free so there are flaws but overall I've had a good experience with it.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
dont know if you can get at them, but i keep seeing things about MIT putting courses on line

leggy

Probably Scottish
dont know if you can get at them, but i keep seeing things about MIT putting courses on line

iTunesU has them all and they are good ://///

I'm sure they are available from the MIT website too.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
A couple of people I know have tried http://www.codecademy.com/ and said it was pretty good. I can't remember where I found the guides I used, but I did find the w3c site, http://www.w3schools.com/ , really helpful for looking up tag information, css fields and things like that

I've found w3schools pretty helpful for quick reference stuff. I think it's worth noting that they aren't actually affiliated with w3c at all though. In my web development course they warned us that w3schools has some inaccurate information; though tbh I'm not sure which parts of it are to be avoided.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Oh Yeah, and @TdC will be posting free pictures of his c0X0rz pressed up against @Deebs' nose for those of you who don't help ;)

ah, you know about those pics eh? I was...young...and...stupid :(

Calo

Part of the furniture
If you are going to learn html5 , do learn also css3(LESS? makes css more "generic") and responsive designs.
And a great javascript framework to work with is Angular (https://angularjs.org/) Lots of online turtorials for it and its really powerfull.
The great thing is, is that you can include so many library's to make your life much easier.
ie: twitter bootstrap (css) font awesome(css icons) just include the library's in your project and its ready to use :)

I've learnerd html5, css3 and angular in the last 6 months at work (I'm a SAP developer and now i'm developing mobile apps who connect to SAP), there's such a big community online for it who will answer all your questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom