Ferdinhand Drugs Controvesy

H

hoggsboss

thought the test was supposed to have been done after a training session midweek?

edit/ tuesday 23rd september

M

mank

Originally posted by hoggsboss
thought the test was supposed to have been done after a training session midweek?

edit/ tuesday 23rd september

correct. I think it's perfectly plausible that he DID forget, but that means someone at Old Trafford didn't chase it up quick enough which he should have done. It's all very confusing really, but I don't think Rio's name should have been leaked to the press.

S

Shocko

I think he should be banned. It seems very convenient to forget that you've got to hand in a sample for a random drugs test before you leave. The fact that he was clear on a drugs test held 2 days later is totally irrelevant. As has been said, that's plenty of time for any drugs to leave his system.

The whole point of random tests, is that they actually catch the drug users, something which arranged tests rarely achieve(come one, if you know you have a test on a certain day, you're not exactly going to show up having just taken something :rolleyes: ).

X

xane

The issue with the so-called "players boycott" seems to forget one thing; Ferdinand _is_ guilty and has admitted so, he did not turn up for a drugs test, end of story.

What remains to be seen is the punishment, which will take the circumstances into consideration, and I doubt will amount to more than a slap on the wrist and a couple of hours wages, I'd consider the recent Sol Campbell incident to be more serious.

The problem is players honestly think they are so important that the rules no longer apply, that they are not even guilty even if they are, something not helped by managers who also think they can break laws and get away with it (in fact Rio's manager _has_ got away with it).

This is not the first time Ferdinand has been dropped from the England squad for certain incidents, even at West Ham he was repeatedly admonished for certain off-pitch behaviour.

J

Jonaldo

no, there's no way they could've so it was all a bit of a joke really. It's blatantly obvious to me Rio Ferdinand was on crack that day.

D

doh_boy

behind m&s next to cathedral/shambles sqaure, down the bottom of deansgate. Ajoined onto No1 Deansgate (posh/dear appartments. Pretty much where the old shambles used to be.

:p

M

mank

The players must have considered boycotting, otherwise what would they have been discussing? Beckham's next haircut?

S

Scouse

Originally posted by mank
Premiership fans are all overrated, anyone who claims to support Liverpool and lives in Reading need a good slapping.

btw above is hypothetical.

I live in Nottingham....does that need a slap too?

(But I did live on the wirral till I was 18 ;) )

D

darthshearer

The player would never dare not playing. They were IMO trying to get the FA to back down and then realised "Shite they aint doing it! Why were are the most powerful people in the world especially if we play for the Arse or Man Ure"

Haha No you aint.

Ferdinand is Guilty. He is Guilty of not turning in for a drugs test. He is not guilty of taking drugs which I think a lot of people are thinking.

95% of Man Ure fans seem to be blinkerd to put the blame on the FA. Which in a way I can see. BUT at the end of the day the main person in this is Rio. If Rio had turned up to the drugs testing after training then non of this shite would have gone on. Why didnt he, who knows? He forgot in my book is a shitty excuse. But maybe he did.

My second thing is it WASNT the FA that give his name out it was a reporter or someone from the Sports people that do th drug testing! Which in a way isnt great timing due to the Turkey game but I think the FA have done everything correct and by the book. What the FA have at intrest is getting the England football team in Euro 2004. If ferdinand did play then the Turks would have turned to UEFA and conplained. Just think. What the fuck have UEFA done about the Turks recently? They havent acted very well IMO regarding there violance in International games, why? Hmm A turkish bloke is very very high up in UEFA.

Anyway I for one will NOT be watching the game on Saturday as I would rather watch a game of Rugby. The sport is played by men and they aint oevr paid premadonas, and the DEFINATLEY dont kick up a fuss if their friend cant play out!

M

mank

Originally posted by Scouse
I live in Nottingham....does that need a slap too?

(But I did live on the wirral till I was 18 ;) )

You've got a reason to support Liverpool :) People who are born and bred in Devon but support Arsenal annoy me.

After watching a documentary on Rio Ferdinand last night it doesn't seem as if he would be arrogant enough to dismiss the drugs test and I'd be inclined to believe that it was an honest mistake, which wasn't helped by the fact the officials at the club didn't do much in trying to get him back to the training ground. But hey, that's my opinion.

H

hoggsboss

Originally posted by darthshearer

My second thing is it WASNT the FA that give his name out it was a reporter or someone from the Sports people that do th drug testing!

i read it was man utd who were responsible for letting his name out (directly or indirectly i dont know) after refusing to go along with the FA's cover story that he was injured, the sun were all set to run a story about RF being injured but then he was played in the arsenal game.

S

Sar

Originally posted by hoggsboss not suggesting rio has done anything naughty but 24-36 hours delay in testing would be plenty time to flush certain substances from the system. [/B]

It was the FA that made him wait that long, he was willing and actually tried to have the test done within 2 hours of finding out he'd missed it.

The FA made him look guilty through their own incompetence.

J

Jonaldo

How did they make him look guilty when he was guilty? He forgot to do the test at the allotted time at the allotted place. This is against FA regulations.

Ban him, I would.

S

SilverHood

Originally posted by Jonaldo
How did they make him look guilty when he was guilty? He forgot to do the test at the allotted time at the allotted place. This is against FA regulations.

Ban him, I would.

someone is bitter against Man U ? :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by SilverHood
someone is bitter against Man U ? :)
He could play for Nobody United for all I care, if someone doesn't turn up to a drugs test within a given time limit what would you propose?

Imagine if Diego Maradona would've accidentally forgot to turn up to the drugs test at World Cup 94 and then retested 36 hours later. He would've been clean and able to carry on as he pleased.

Rules state that if you fail to turn up to a random drugs test it is punishable by anything up to a 2 year ban. Why are so many people questioning it? Rules are rules. I'm not saying he was on steroids or any form of drugs but that has never been the accusation, he's guilty of not turning up to a test.

It should be a ban, plain and simple. Couldn't give a flying f*ck who he plays for to be honest.

S

Sar

You're not exactly grasping this are you?

HE (Rio Ferdinand) RANG (used the telephone) AND ASKED (enquired) IF HE (Rio Ferdinand) COULD TAKE THE TEST (the drugs test) 2 HOURS (120 mins) AFTER HE HAD BEEN REMINDED ABOUT IT.

THE FA (Football Association) WOULD NOT LET HIM TAKE THE TEST (the drugs test) FOR ANOTHER 36 HOURS.

HE (Rio Ferdinand) WANTED TO DO THE TEST (the drugs test) ASAP (As Soon As Possible), BUT THE FA (Football Association) SAID NO.

If he had had drugs in his system, I don't think he'd be begging to get found out 2 hours later do you?

:rolleyes:

J

Jonaldo

It's almost as if the FA have to attend to every players wishes. They don't have to do him any favours by waiting around for as long as it takes for him to remember it.

He failed to turn up REGARDLESS OF ANY DRUGS IN HIS SYSTEM. THIS IS WHAT HE IS PUNISHABLE FOR.

He cannot pick and choose when he wants to do the test, whether it be one minute after the allotted time slot, or one month after the allotted time slot. He didn't take the test within the allotted time slot therefore is punishable for not turning up for the test.

Luckily he wasn't involved in the Turkey game as a result or he probably would've made some stupid errors like normal and cost us an automatic qualifying slot.
Let's hope the Villa fans give Alpay the welcome he deserves when he arrives back at the club :D

S

SilverHood

Originally posted by mank
bollocks, Ireland didn't qualify :|

yeah, sucks :/

if there's a wild card, they should get it

M

mank

Dunno, been poor since the World Cup really. I don't get to see as many of the Irish games as I'd like tho :/

S

SilverHood

they should be allowed to play for the fans alone...

nothing like being in a pub / bar / street with ireland supporters :)

M

mank

agreed :) I was in Ireland a couple of months ago when Cork and Waterford were playing each other in the Hurling. It was the quarter finals of the All Ireland cup I think, the atmosphere was class. I was staying in a town that is right on the Cork/Waterford border so the town was split with it's devotions, there were blue and red flags everywhere. Cars, shop windows, outside houses, outside bars, draped over signs etc... t'was class. I love that country.

X

xane

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3185724.stm

It does seem to me a large amount of the blame is attached to Manchester United, for allowing Ferdinand to go home in the first place, for failing to re-test him immediately, for releasing his name, and for not compromising with the FA about him being left out of the England match.

The FA did not want to risk anything in Turkey, who could have, and probably would have, cried foul if Ferdinand had played and was then subsequently charged under UEFA rules. They gave Manchester United the chance to avoid an embarressing episode and delayed the naming of the squad, but that was not acted upon.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by xane
The FA did not want to risk anything in Turkey, who could have, and probably would have, cried foul if Ferdinand had played and was then subsequently charged under UEFA rules. They gave Manchester United the chance to avoid an embarressing episode and delayed the naming of the squad, but that was not acted upon.
Totally, imagine if we'd qualified (which we did without him) and then he'd get charged for not turning up for a drug test after. We'd get thrown out of the competition immediately and Turkey would take our place, and no appeal would be heard.

The FAs hands were tied and they handled it correctly, all those moronic pundits and critics like Rodney (please look at me I'm controversial) Marsh haven't got a fucking clue when it comes to the real facts.

S

SilverHood

Just read that if the FA don't do a proper public hanging, FIFA will step in to make sure it's done right.
I'd say the C word right now about FIFA.

He's so blatantly being being made an example of, though I agree he should be punished, anything from 6 months to 18 months seems fair.

But FIFA should keep their sticky fingers out until the FA has done their job, rather than putting pressure on the FA to deal harsly with him. To FIFA, it seems, he's already been found guilty of willingly missing the drugs test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom