Fed's guide to Albion RvR

F

- Fedaykin -

So its 6am and I can’t be assed going RvR because there are no decent albion groups running, so I thought I’d write a little guide to help my fellow albs with a few basic RvR tactics – and to put forward a few of my own ideas.

Basic group formation –

Never leave atk without a balanced group, yes this means 2 clerics (3 clerics is pretty damn uber imo – but most think this doesn’t work) minstrel, paladin and Sorc. Then fill with whatever you can get, try take tanks with determination over a friar/theurg/wiz/caba/2nd pala – well played Reavers are an exception to this. If you set off without this basic formula for group formation than you have no basis to cry nerf! When you are swiftly defeated.

Many albions have only a small window in which to play the game and therefore cannot wait for this essential element of RvR – unfortunately they are doomed to failure within RvR as those who take time to set up groups invariably triumph over the LFG!! Posse.

Roles within groups – I would like someone of high realm rank who plays each class to give a more in depth report on each class. E.g. Farek for paladins, Konah for Mercs, Alpha for mincers etc

Sorc – Mesmerizer, rooter, cure mezz, light damage

Minstrel – SOS! (see later) Cure mezzer! Interrupts on healers

Paladin – Slam’s the MA’s target, END REGEN, ghetto rezz also a guard on the MA is very useful

Armsmen – Determination 4 is a must, why people spec IP over det 4 is beyond me. As a primary CC player I know the power of determination. Soldiers barricade is another great GROUP ra however many Armsmen prefer to keep themselves alive than their group. Main purpose is front end damage. Pole or 2h IMO, either they are the MA or should be following the MA closely

Mercenaries – Again det 4 a must, wanted in groups for their great damage, break pbt for slower tanks who are assisting or are assisting you.

Cabalist – AE disease AE Disease AE disease, nearsight Casters first then Healers (healers spread heal isn’t affected by nearsight). Pet should be placed on shaman/healers/casters/bards/chanters. Try to hide as much as you can in battles, as a cloth caster you need to be away from the action.

Theurgist – Either spec for 6/8 sec pbt or forget it altogether imo and spec higher wind/ice. 10 sec pbt just doesn’t cut it in todays assisting RvR. Pet spam ffs, every support class in sight should have a pet on him, theurgists moan at me “it uses all my power” what use is power if u are dead? They have 2000 range so you can cast them from a safe distance – they are a theurgists best asset so use them well. Try to hide as much as you can in battles, as a cloth caster you need to be away from the action.

Clerics – Find a safe place to heal from, never stand still, use spread heals if u can. ALWAYS have BoF. Sort out BOF order with the other clerics in your group before you set off. Try to Rezz a fallen comrade as fast as you can.

Friars – As a non-det tank you are likely to be left stood in frustration many a fight. Make an arrangement with your mincer/sorcs to demezz you as fast as they can. If you get rooted don’t stand there with your staff pointing at someone.. start healing/rezzing until your movement is free then join up with the MA. Use your insta-taunt well and as often as you can for interrupts.

Wizard – Don’t use VP. It loses more fights than it wins, it breaks Mezz on all your targets, either land it before the sorc mezzes or don’t use it. If u hit a mezzed group with this you have effectively removed the sorc from your group – he may as well never have grouped in he first place. Zoyster/Lac are the best at using VP. They use it as an insta-snare before we can jump the enemy. Assist the MA, nuke down all his targets, never stand still. Try to hide as much as you can in battles, as a cloth caster you need to be away from the action.

Reavers – Assisting the MA, again without det you can be somewhat of a liability, make sure the sorc/mincer knows you are mezzed so you can be back in action as soon as possible. Use your AF debuffs to drop the main targets as fast as you can and if your target tries to run you know which style you should be landing :D

Necromancers – A liability atm and not much space for you in a RvR group. AF debuff all main targets as fast as you can, get yourself demezzed as fast as you can. Give power to all who need it and use your snares if u can.

Advice when your group is up and running

Don’t go AFK! Obviously asking for trouble, if you need to go afk for something then inform your group so the driver can lead you to a safe spot or even go back to the teleport keep.

Avoid Choke points! Why? You may think. “I thought we were meant to meet the enemy? – we should let them come to us!” << seems to be the general consensus. I regularly see albion groups sat down at AMG rebuffing! Why? Obviously hibs/mids will be running through read to gank you, simply move somewhere more safe – even the amg room is better than sitting and waiting to be killed.

Don’t be annoyed if u lose 1fg v 1fg! Even the best players in each realm do. The difference is many of the top players return to fight as 1fg v 1fg and refuse to summon another group to aid them. Eventually you will win and will be more proud than you would be if u zerged them.

Learn not to break mezz. If the is a mezzed healer and an unmezzed berserker who would you hit?

If you answered healer than type /release

A Mezzed enemy poses no threat! As soon as u touch a healer you will get insta mezzed/stunned. Healers also have no determination meaning they get full duration mezzes. If all are mezzed the order should be:

Shaman
Runemasters
Savages
Berserkers
Warriors
Healers

Of course mezz duration will run out after you have killed 2-3 enemies.. but then answer me this question… what threat does a mid group with 3 healers a skald a warrior pose against a group which has 2 (soon to be 4 again) healers 3 savages…

Savages are just like uber enchanters, they cannot be crowd controlled and can unleash mega damage! Drop the shaman first they lose all their buffs – suddenly they cant evade as much – SLAM – they die in a few secs, healers should be still mezzed, al healers who purge should be controlled by the minstrel/sorc and shaman still dropped first.

Hibs :

If all are mezzed

Don’t touch that druid!
Enchanters!
Other casters
Druids
Tanks

Druid group purge is deadly leave him mezzed he is harmless.
Chanters are the damage, make sure you slam them to avoid MoC, assist the main tank and you should plough through these high risk adversaries.

Keep the bard down, he is their crowd control and endurance regen. If he gets rezzed drop him again ASAP – all recently rezzed people die in a few hits (due to no buffs/shields etc)

Use of SOS

SOS is albions greatest weapon if used correctly, most minstrels need to practice usage of this great tool.

It prevents any form of crowd control for 30 secs!!!!!!!! For gods sake use it right. It should be used BEFORE the enemy group gets inside 1500 range. Used BEFORE you are mezzed and used BEFORE you are rooted. The sorc – invulnerable to CC should be freely available to land his greater duration mezz, BOF should be up rendering any melee damage inert and your groups tanks should be jumping on he bodies of norsemen.

SOS is a great tool – mids/hibs rate it very highly but albions don’t seem to appreciate its great use. Don’t be afraid to use it, if you see enemies on the horizon hit that button!

SOS is a sort of Contraceptive to Mez, put it on before you get down to ZzZz’s

Can’t be assed to write anymore atm, feel free to contribute or to debate any points I have raised.

Fedaykin

C

Coim-

You are obviously insanely bored. But nice guide. :)

T

thrylos

Nice guide fed i agree on most things except on what you are saying about how to use SoS wich is completely wrong in my opinion. Firstly sos doesnt make you immune to any form of cc for 30 secs... it just lets you run at ss5 speed for 30 secs no matter what spells are beeing cast on you.. it helps alot experienced sorcs/clerics who know how to kite their enemies - it helps them run away from pets from tanks and interrupters...

NEVER use sos when you see the enemy fg before the first mezz except if you are lower than RR3 - sos and purge are the first abilities for every minstrel who wants to get a group. Sos should be used a) when you face a good+ group and the enemy fg mezzes your group first.. then you purge and sos immediately b) when you see that your group is losing the battle use it before more than 1-2 people die so you can turn the battle around and win and c) when you get the jump on an uber group (like NP) and you see that their healer who is beeing hit by all of your groups tanks doesnt die and 3 deter4+ thrust savages are running towards your clerics...

Also dont forget that SoS without purge is only 30% as effective... Therefor try to not use purge if you arent going to use sos...

B

benedictines

Originally posted by - Fedaykin -
Then fill with whatever you can get, try take tanks with determination over a friar/theurg/wiz/caba/2nd pala – well played Reavers are an exception to this. If you set off without this basic formula for group formation than you have no basis to cry nerf! When you are swiftly defeated.

Fedaykin

Quit this perfect template crap :/

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Re: Re: Fed's guide to Albion RvR

Originally posted by benedictines
Quit this perfect template crap :/

No.
Albs should stop leaving atk in random groups.
Albs should stop leaving atk if a solo non-stealth character.
It is all free rp's to the Hib/Mid guild groups out and about in Emain.
While I enjoy my scout, I know I will never ask a guildgroup to take him. My armsman, or sorc, sure, they love that.

You can make an okish group if you don't stick to the template given by Fedaykin, but at the moment, this won't do against the shaman, 2 healers, skald, and 4 savages that leave the mtk.

Group composition changes all the time, right now tank heavy groups are favored, it used to be casters first, then some tanks. Maybe one day everybody will want a friar in the group :)
Regards, Glottis

A

Asha

actually we didn't do too bad w/ a THREE paladin group earlier tonight (none were 2h ofc (joking!!))

And you can use a theurg instead of sorcerer, you gain pbt, haste, eb and pets.

You can tweak it all sorts of ways, but I think albs do run around in unbalanced groups alot more than mid or hib. Not sure why other than hibs have to run far so they aren't going to do that only to die and it's easier for mids to make groups as they only need 4 classes.

L

leorin

Remove the sorc as classed as light dmg dealer imo. I d prefer have him lullin or debuffing , no point have him drain himselfs mana and nukin for 100ish ^^

L

leorin

Originally posted by Asha
actually we didn't do too bad w/ a THREE paladin group earlier tonight (none were 2h ofc (joking!!))

You can tweak it all sorts of ways, but I think albs do run around in unbalanced groups alot more than mid or hib. Not sure why other than hibs have to run far so they aren't going to do that only to die and it's easier for mids to make groups as they only need 4 classes.

Sorc>Theurg any day.

Theurg can not be usen well as CC these days since their mezz last like 1 sec. Wouldnt even give enuff time to set a pb pair up.
And tbh i d prefer a sorc as mezzer since theurgs mezz are in no way reliable.

B

Belomar

Interesting how you say that Albs don't understand the use of SoS when you clearly don't understand it fully yourself. But let's take it again, more slowly so that we all understand it:

SoS is not mezz-immunity!

All it does is that it removes all movement penalties due to CC. If you are mezzed when in SoS, you can still move about (at 200% speed), but you cannot perform any other action (including combat)!

F

Flimgoblin

We need an RvR guide for when you can't get the perfect setup ;)

How to win with Thanes or something ;)
(well that'd be the midgard equivalent obviously)

How to gank in RvR when all you have is an earth wizard, a painworking necro, a shield merc, a smite cleric, a 2h paladin (*grins*), a rejuv friar, an ice theurgist and a crossbow armsman :)
All of whom bought mastery of water 5 or something ;)

F

- Fedaykin -

Originally posted by Belomar
Interesting how you say that Albs don't understand the use of SoS when you clearly don't understand it fully yourself. But let's take it again, more slowly so that we all understand it:

SoS is not mezz-immunity!

All it does is that it removes all movement penalties due to CC. If you are mezzed when in SoS, you can still move about (at 200% speed), but you cannot perform any other action (including combat)!

so basically it is CC immunity

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by Flimgoblin

How to gank in RvR when all you have is an earth wizard, a painworking necro, a shield merc, a smite cleric, a 2h paladin (*grins*), a rejuv friar, an ice theurgist and a crossbow armsman :)

unfortunately when ur enemies refuse to make gimp groups you certainly can't afford to...

B

Belomar

so basically it is CC immunity
Um, no. You did know that when you are mezzed, you are unable to do anything? SoS just allow a mezzed character to move, but you can still not cast spells or hit stuff (same with stun).

B

Belomar

Originally posted by Jiggs
unfortunately when ur enemies refuse to make gimp groups you certainly can't afford to...
That depends on which ambition level you put your RvRing on. Some play to win, some play to have fun with their friends (who may be playing classes that are considered gimped in terms of RvR and who don't have the time or the inclination to level another, more RvR-friendly, character).

F

- Fedaykin -

Originally posted by Belomar
Um, no. You did know that when you are mezzed, you are unable to do anything? SoS just allow a mezzed character to move, but you can still not cast spells or hit stuff (same with stun).

if you can move you cant be hit therefore negating the control they have, its the same if the mincer uses SoS anyway, its a better way to avoid being stuck in a little group.

if you SoS and scatter their assist will be severely hindered as they wont be able to catch you

V

Vegy

Druid group purge is deadly leave him mezzed he is harmless.

?
You know that GP works exactly like Purge but affects all members including yourself, ie, You can use GP even if you are mezzed.

[edit]Hibs will wait like 20-30 mins to form groups in DL sometimes, 95% if not more of the group that leave DL are formed to function better in RvR. This is the main difference I have noticed about Albs and Hibs, and imo makes a big difference.[/edit]

V

Vasconcelos

if you can move you cant be hit therefore negating the control they have, its the same if the mincer uses SoS anyway, its a better way to avoid being stuck in a little group.

if you SoS and scatter their assist will be severely hindered as they wont be able to catch you

They can nuke you into oblivion as long as you are still on nuke range, no matter how fast you can move. You know, melee is not the only atack type of this game.....

G

gunner440

spent ~1hours40mins making group yesterday at atk

new BF record i think ! we're getting faster ;D

takes ages to sort the group but when its ready, its worth it \o/

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Originally posted by Vegy
?
You know that GP works exactly like Purge but affects all members including yourself, ie, You can use GP even if you are mezzed.

[edit]Hibs will wait like 20-30 mins to form groups in DL sometimes, 95% if not more of the group that leave DL are formed to function better in RvR. This is the main difference I have noticed about Albs and Hibs, and imo makes a big difference.[/edit]

Agree, difference is that Mid and Hibs will go wait at mtk/boderkeep till their actives are back, while even the rvr guilds will just keep on going, also with actives down.
There are people who play for fun, they make up about 90% of those in Emain.
But how much fun is losing 99% of the time? (actually, did not stop me from getting rr5 with scout while SH and SB zerg was around :) ). Might be tough luck for someone who has a necro, friar or so for main 50, but Albs should try to become more competitive. When we start seeing Mid groups without a skald just so they can add the 5th savage, we need to worry.

2 clerics
1 minstrel
1 pally
4 damage dealers (or 3 damage dealers and a sorc).
(damage dealer equals mercs and armsman using assist, with high determination on them).

Regards, Glottis

G

gunner440

Originally posted by Glottis_Xanadu
Agree, difference is that Mid and Hibs will go wait at mtk/boderkeep till their actives are back, while even the rvr guilds will just keep on going, also with actives down.
There are people who play for fun, they make up about 90% of those in Emain.
But how much fun is losing 99% of the time? (actually, did not stop me from getting rr5 with scout while SH and SB zerg was around :) ). Might be tough luck for someone who has a necro, friar or so for main 50, but Albs should try to become more competitive. When we start seeing Mid groups without a skald just so they can add the 5th savage, we need to worry.

2 clerics
1 minstrel
1 pally
4 damage dealers (or 3 damage dealers and a sorc).
(damage dealer equals mercs and armsman using assist, with high determination on them).

Regards, Glottis

\o/

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Jiggs

heh the guide would probably consist of:

Make group, leave TK, get killed by a thane :(

Cry.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by gunner440
spent ~1hours40mins making group yesterday at atk

this is why pickup groups die ;) people who are playing for an hour can't exactly wait that long :(

but hey run in 2fg gimp you'd probably get a 50/50 chance against 1fg gank :)

S

samildanachh

while i belive u need a good template to sucseed i would believe that a SKILLED group with say cleric,mincer,pally,pally,reaver,friar,arms,merc would slaughter a grp of unskilled players with say cleric,cleric,merc,merc,merc,pally,mincer,sorc (the percived ultra alb grp setup)
while good grp set up does help i think it is more down to to each players skill and their ability to work within a fg.

i think i would put healers higher up the priority of gankage. say mid grp with skald,shaman,healer,healer,healer,savage,savage,savage.
U kill the shammy and savages 1st, healers mes perhaps runs out by that time. what happens? u get triple PR's and virtually all grp is up again without rs.
To kill mids it shuld be more like

Shammy
Healers
casters
then savages.

U cant leave 3 messed healers there simply cuz they wont stay messsed, theyll either purge or get demessed they have to be priority after the savages.

O

old.Zeikerd

When people will only make those uber balanced grp i'll never make any rps again. While I personaly think I'm a very good RvR player/class.

O

old.Zeikerd

I never saw 3 healers and a shaman in a mid grp. Maybe I didn't look right, but I never saw that!

T

Tilda

Originally posted by old.Zeikerd
I never saw 3 healers and a shaman in a mid grp. Maybe I didn't look right, but I never saw that!

look closer.

Mid decent guilds now run in:

Healer
Healer
Healer
Shammy
Scald
Savage
Savage
Savage

This is so hard to beat because of the PR's and constant heals.
IMO, if you land mez on a savage group. take the shammy down first, then the savages then the healers then anything else.
We tried taking a group like this down by taking shammy and then savages down and it acctualy worked bloody well.
After one savage went down (their MA) the group fell apart, they didnt have enough firepower to kill people while our clerics could still heal. I would recommend people try taking savages before healers, but after shammy, just like with enchanters.

Tilda

O

old.Ashgen

LOL

Originally posted by Flimgoblin

:clap:

S

swords

Its realy frustrating making alb grops that can compete simply because we need 5 essential classes with specific speclines just to get what the other realms can get with 3-4 classes...

This is why we do need to form decent groups rather than pick ups.
because if we lack even one essential group ability (end regen, mach 5, CC, etc) we are just going to get savaged to death...

B

bracken_woodman

Armsmen – Determination 4 is a must, why people spec IP over det 4 is beyond me. As a primary CC player I know the power of determination. Soldiers barricade is another great GROUP ra however many Armsmen prefer to keep themselves alive than their group. Main purpose is front end damage. Pole or 2h IMO, either they are the MA or should be following the MA closely

Personally I think it's a toss up between IP and determ 4. I would certainly say det 3 is a must, but if the choice is using the extra 6 points for det 4 or getting IP I would say go IP. Why? Well it can basically mean the difference between taking down that healer/caster and dropping face down because in effect you are doubling the hit points on a fully buffed armsman - and if you have 3 IP tanks in your group this adds up to a lot of extra damage the group can take. This is not to underestimate the usefulness of the extra 15% mezz reduction, it's just I think overall IP will swing a fight more often.

Soldier's barricade is an interesting one. I had it for a few months but what I found was that with 2 bof clerics in a group it didn't really cut it. For the cost it always felt like insufficient benefit for too short a duration/ too long a timer. Admittedly this was before rvr became DAO Tankalot. Maybe if the timer was 15 minutes, but as it is I still feel it is one more for high rr tanks.

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by Asha

Totally agree. I think we all know what the ideal set up is, but given the time constraints many of us have when playing the ideal set up isn't always an option - so some sensible tweaking can still give you a decent group that will perform ok if everyone knows their role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom