Fao - The Biased, So Called "elite" On Excal

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
If earning a living isn't pretty high up on the "Things to do in life" list it bloody well should be - kind of hard to put a roof over your head or food in your belly without it :D

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
Vindicator said:
This is unbelievable. It's like there in a fantasty world where if they play the 'best' in a game and are the best in the world at that its ok that they have nothing in 'real' life because they have Succeded online. < Not talking specifically about you but this is the kind of attitude / mentality being portrayed>

No F1 and Football Are nothing like Daoc in terms of the value of winning Or even Importance. No I think you'll find a guy in Division 3 probably gets the same wages if not a little more than you average bloke does. From there on up it just gets better so its a job. Its a way to make money, a Profession because they dedicate alot of time to practicing and on team work. At the end of the day they only started playing Football because they enjoyed it but they keep on playing it for the Money or Chance of Success < Being Promoted - Winning the FA cup - Champions league etc >. Do you see Daoc as a Profession ? ^^

I think you will find it isnt Brack or anybody else that has a checklist or weird idea's of real success / importance. Look deep into the mirror mate and look at what you've become, im sure you werent always like that. If your retired stay retired for your own sake even if you wer a good player.

Oh and taking a game 'Seriously' as you put it Eliminates a large portion of the Fun factor and it people get too focused on winning / being the best / having the best stuff. it's all Culmative until it leads to a distortion in the brain of what really matters and what winning really means and how you treat and perceive other people whether friends or Strangers irl and on-line.

so its ok to reach for success in football because it has money in it, but not daoc/gameing?

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
rvn said:
before when football wasnt a money producing sport, there were still ppl playing it alot, if they didnt it wouldnt have evolved into what it is now, online gameing and so on is at that stage :p

Scarily enough I can actually imagine a day when online gaming becomes professional - Olympic sport by 2020 anyone?

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
Lethul said:
so the meaning of life is to get lots of money? boring :p
no, its to get lots of money with the least effort.

its like the "pluggvariabel"; betyg/timmar pluggande.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Bracken said:
Scarily enough I can actually imagine a day when online gaming becomes professional - Olympic sport by 2020 anyone?

but then it will be ok to be "elitist" ?

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
so basicly, if you cant live off it spend entire day and night on it its nort worth to be good at it?/ waste of time? - according to you

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
rvn said:
so its ok to reach for success in football because it has money in it, but not daoc/gameing?

In Order to Reach for that Success how much do you make your RL suffer ? Oh how much work could you have done to earn money to pay for your house / car etc. How far could you have progressed in your job ranks if you put the same effort into work instead of a game which yields no rewards and the 'fun' you used to have has dimished because you it requires work to 'reach' that success.

If you had the same Drive to better your self in life or In a job you'd be in a well paid Cosy job, or a well paid extremely challengeing job, with everything a person could ask for. Sense of Security for your job , Approval of doing well , money , house , car. Maybe you could even have a wife that was happy xDDD.

At least Football has a Point though. You earn your wage per week, Winning matchs means more points to win the league or an extra goal for top goal scorer or Winning the final of the Cup. When you win a fight in daoc you get what ? The sense of Victory, knowing you wer better than the other 8 ppl against you ? wow big deal. You stopped a keep take perhaps ? Even better wow! Being the best on the server ? nice 1! now everybody that plays your server will know. You getting the point yet ?

And to top it all off! you pay for it 2 xD

Lethul

FH is my second home
Vindicator said:
In Order to Reach for that Success how much do you make your RL suffer ? Oh how much work could you have done to earn money to pay for your house / car etc. How far could you have progressed in your job ranks if you put the same effort into work instead of a game which yields no rewards and the 'fun' you used to have has dimished because you it requires work to 'reach' that success.

If you had the same Drive to better your self in life or In a job you'd be in a well paid Cosy job, or a well paid extremely challengeing job, with everything a person could ask for. Sense of Security for your job , Approval of doing well , money , house , car. Maybe you could even have a wife that was happy xDDD.

At least Football has a Point though. You earn your wage per week, Winning matchs means more points to win the league or an extra goal for top goal scorer or Winning the final of the Cup. When you win a fight in daoc you get what ? The sense of Victory, knowing you wer better than the other 8 ppl against you ? wow big deal. You stopped a keep take perhaps ? Even better wow! Being the best on the server ? nice 1! now everybody that plays your server will know. You getting the point yet ?

And to top it all off! you pay for it 2 xD

UK -> money = respect :p

Marc

FH is my second home
rvn said:
with that bitter attitude i bet you have tasted success :D

they have tried hard and made sacrificies. - this goes for everything you do fyi if you want to be on top of anything.

DAoC is a past time. You can hardly say you have to make the same sacrifices to get rr10 that you have to do to become top of your game in something like football. I mean, cmon, if you sacrifice your friends, family, job for DAoC, geek jokes aside, you gotta admit its a bit sad isnt it?

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
yes, but not everyone is obsessed with money and items :p
personally i would rather be very good at something than to own several houses and have 10 stacked racer cars in my garage.

wow big deal. (why did you even think they have a rp-count?, perhaps ppl do care about competieng in daoc.) for you about winning in something, i could say the same about haveing alot of cash, this is what ive been trying to say before, not everyone values everything the same.

fotball in the "base" form is the same as any other game, you play to compete and have fun while doing it, money in it allows you to perform it even more and get even better at it.

Marc

FH is my second home
Lethul said:
UK -> money = respect :p

If they made it through hard work and graft then ye ofc, u gotta respect them. People who were born with a silver spoon shoved up their ass, or daddy gave it them, then no, not at all (the ones who flaunt it that is).

Working class all the way!!!!

Lethul

FH is my second home
Marc said:
DAoC is a past time. You can hardly say you have to make the same sacrifices to get rr10 that you have to do to become top of your game in something like football. I mean, cmon, if you sacrifice your friends, family, job for DAoC, geek jokes aside, you gotta admit its a bit sad isnt it?

football is a past time. You can hardly say you have to make the same sacrifices to get to la liga that you have to do to become top of your game in something like DAoC. I mean, cmon, if you sacrifice your friends, family, job for football, football jokes aside, you gotta admit its a bit sad isnt it?

Marc

FH is my second home
rvn said:
personally i would rather be very good at something than to own several houses and have 10 stacked racer cars in my garage.

wow big deal. (why did you even think they have a rp-count?, perhaps ppl do care about competieng in daoc.) for you about winning in something, i could say the same about haveing alot of cash, this is what ive been trying to say before, not everyone values everything the same.

fotball in the "base" form is the same as any other game, you play to compete and have fun while doing it, money in it allows you to perform it even more and get even better at it.

aha! but not in all cases. I bet there are a percentage of footballers who are purely in it for the money, the women, the drugs, the cars, the houses.

The very nature of DAoC is all about competition, thats why there is RvR. Its the attitude of people who think they are better than everyone else is the problem. That isnt to say that every single high RR player is a gob shite up his own arse. Tbh rvn im seeing a diff side to you in this thread. Rather than just say "stfu random warder" or "qq" like Jika or Anyu would (prime examples of people who think they are "the man" but more like a fckin 2 year old whos just learnt to speak" you show that you dont have to have the "im better than you" attitude all the time.

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
Marc said:

sacreficeing education/job for daoc would be stupid, if you did that you wouldnt be able to become a good player anyway :p

and no rr10 is not an sacrifice, but playing vs the good fg's is not an walk in the park if you want to win. but then again how could you know, have you been there? are you talking out of experience?

Marc

FH is my second home
Lethul said:
football is a past time. You can hardly say you have to make the same sacrifices to get to la liga that you have to do to become top of your game in something like DAoC. I mean, cmon, if you sacrifice your friends, family, job for football, football jokes aside, you gotta admit its a bit sad isnt it?

read the past 20 posts before trying to take me out of context.

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
rvn said:

Seems most ppl in Daoc are. Camping Arti mobs and selling them when they dont need them. Or Scrolls etc and then amassing huge amounts of money for what I wonder.

You can actually make a living playing Daoc if you have the right setup and play enough thou as im sure alot of people are aware. Happened for years and still does Im sure with EQ.

You would prefer to just be very good at something than have lots of cash or cars. Sure ok. If you were the best Toliet Cleaner in the world by your definition you'd prefer that than having cash or Cars. Sounds fine i suppose xD

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be the best in a game but there is something wrong when you let that 'want' to be the best in a game interfer with rl. By not putting enough work in or Failing your colg course or Doing shitty in school. Alot of people take Pride in being the best at there job 2, like a Taxi Driver or a Doctor even Pilots. Dont you think they are slighty more important than a PC game ? To Attain the kind of status of best in this game a person would have to devote 2 much time so as that it would interfer with ther rl in some way whether its losing your gf which effects you in all sorts of ways / Exams / or a Job etc. Anybody who actually thinks that they dont put 2 much time in < to reach the top or maintain that even > is lying not only to ppl on a forum but more importantly to them selfs.

Marc

FH is my second home
rvn said:
sacreficeing education/job for daoc would be stupid, if you did that you wouldnt be able to become a good player anyway :p

and no rr10 is not an sacrifice, but playing vs the good fg's is not an walk in the park if you want to win. but then again how could you know, have you been there? are you talking out of experience?

Fighting high RR groups? Yes ive been there and isnt a walk in the park. I only usually RvR with guild groups and its normally over in a matter of seconds. /release and come back.

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
i think hobby/gameing/sports whatever, is as important or more important than job intself, this depends on whatever your goal is, if you dont have a goal to become rich you have to find something else, you do this by playing games, performing sports or haveing an hobby.

if you dont enjoy spending money shopping, traveling, etc what good is money then if you have enough to cover the rents etc? :)

Marc

FH is my second home
rvn said:
i think hobby/gameing/sports whatever, is as important or more important than job intself, this depends on whatever your goal is, if you dont have a goal to become rich you have to find something else, you do this by playing games, performing sports or haveing an hobby.

If you have lots of money and dont need to work then yes, thats a fair statement. A high percentage of the DAoC community doesnt have that luxury and they would disagree with you.

Zzang

Fledgling Freddie
i fully agree with Rvn.

Having fun is so much more important in life then having lots of money / irl status.

Altho, at the same time that gaming is kinda an exscape from reality, it also is reality. Things are what you make them to be.

If you have watched the American Beauty movie. I would hate to have to always care what neighbours, other random ppls think about my "importance" in the world, how do i look in everyones eyes, do i have a perfect work, do i own as good car as them etc.

I would rather let go, get a job where i can survive and have food for the day and still being able to do what i find fun at the moment, may it be travel, gaming, dancing whatever.

And being good at something, especially with friends IS fun.
And even tho it doesnt bring in money, fame and girls. (yet) still feels good doing something better than most others.

In 20 years, maybe computer gaming has reached the same level as football / hockey etc, Starcraft is already a folksport in korea. they send matches live on TV etc.

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
for fun I like to Dance, and it brings me fame and girls.

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
theres a fuckload of young football/hockey players sacrifing ALOT to become pro. And how many can actually make a living out of it? Probably less % than the people farming and ebaying shit in daoc :X

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
rvn said:

if you dont enjoy spending money shopping, traveling, etc what good is money then if you have enough to cover the rents etc? :)

as i read those post's it is about WHERE do you want to achieve...

becuase to achieve in daoc you use some of youre resource's that you COULD have used in getting the nice GF, the nice and challengeing job or something else...

like (i forgot his name... nice armsmen last guild was NO) who stopped daoc becuase he wantet to presuit some sport..

Some ppl define economy as a system to find out who we produce for...

and one very valid question every1 could ask him self is.. what do i produce..
Maybee you produce succes in a game....
maybee you produce succes in family life... or in youre job // education

some ppl migth chose to create the succes in a game... or in football ... but in what ever you choose there is a danger.. and thats when other aspects of life get dull, unimportant. becuase then the choise you made is mezzing with you're head..

and that is particually dangerous with MMORPG's they tend to sux the RL out of ppl ... they think about the game when they work/go to school/are with the GF and if they where honest about them self they would prefere to play instead of doing the RL thing they are doing...

thats bad.. really bad becuase it will make you misrable (dunno if spelled rigth) in the long run ... really misrable..

a MMORPG is made to take youre time ... thats the soul of a game like DAOC..

unlike games like Starcraft,Warcraft series, Counter strike.... the soul of those games is to WIN which for some ppl takes A lot of time. But in my experince ... if you take some RTS or FSP addict(not real pro-games who make a living out of it) you will never find they use as much time as the addicts from MMORPG's

... enough rambling ...

gia

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
If you have lots of money and dont need to work then yes, thats a fair statement. A high percentage of the DAoC community doesnt have that luxury and they would disagree with you.
It doesn't have to be a lot of money, if you have enough for it to not be a problem for you then getting more loses its appeal. If it's not your only goal that is.

I'd rather spend my time doing things that I enjoy. Playing games happens to be one of those things. I also enjoy competing. What's so hard to understand about it? Even if accomplishments in video games mean nothing, the same could be said about many other things.

I see too many people around here judging others. You're on an internet message board, arguing about a video game that most people haven't even heard about. Someone is bound to judge you based just on that. :)

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
Filip said:
unlike games like Starcraft,Warcraft series, Counter strike.... the soul of those games is to WIN which for some ppl takes A lot of time. But in my experince ... if you take some RTS or FSP addict(not real pro-games who make a living out of it) you will never find they use as much time as the addicts from MMORPG's

... enough rambling ...

Rofl, theres more than enough dumb fucking kids thinking they can go "pro" and make a living out of cs. CS has probably fucked up more peoples social life than any other online game atm.

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
katt! said:
Rofl, theres more than enough dumb fucking kids thinking they can go "pro" and make a living out of cs. CS has probably fucked up more peoples social life than any other online game atm.

hehe ya sounds rigth .. but is expectet when it is the most played computer game in the world as well..

Hotrats

Fledgling Freddie
gia said:
I think the main problem here is that it takes a certain knowledge and experience of the situations to notice and appreciate skill.

Following the analogy of F1, I have no idea what makes a good driver, I have never driven a race car, yet I could probably go ahead and say that schumacher only wins because his car is faster and all he does is hold down the gas and follow the track around. Someone that actually knows more of what it takes to win and has experience instead will see that there is more depth to it and appreciate that.

Daoc works the same way, without the needed experience it is harder to notice when someone is playing better/worse. If you see someone playing that only does nearest target/attack and then see someone that knows what targets are best, that is always in the best position, knows how to interrupt when needed and take advantage of a situation as soon as it presents itself or manages to react to an enemy action in an effective manner... if you, the spectator, don't know what those right targets are, what those situations are and don't know the reasons behind some of his actions... both fights are going to seem exactly the same.
Superb post, had to quote it so more people would read it :)
Filip said:
and that is particually dangerous with MMORPG's they tend to sux the RL out of ppl ... they think about the game when they work/go to school/are with the GF and if they where honest about them self they would prefere to play instead of doing the RL thing they are doing...

thats bad.. really bad becuase it will make you misrable (dunno if spelled rigth) in the long run ... really misrable..
Don't agree with that I'm afraid, there was a point in my life where I considered most things I was doing (even at the time I was actually doing them) to be less fun than playing daoc. Daoc got more boring though as I played it more, and friends left, and patches/expansions made it worse and now I find myself considering most things to be more fun than playing daoc and I don't feel miserable about my past, I actually miss it! It's the same for most computer games, not just mmorpg's, in fact kinda the same for most things you enjoy in life, the thing is to make sure you enjoy whatever your doing, even if its not what you would most want to be doing.

Interesting the way this thread has developed....

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
Hotrats said:
Don't agree with that I'm afraid, there was a point in my life where I considered most things I was doing (even at the time I was actually doing them) to be less fun than playing daoc. Daoc got more boring though as I played it more, and friends left, and patches/expansions made it worse and now I find myself considering most things to be more fun than playing daoc and I don't feel miserable about my past, I actually miss it! It's the same for most computer games, not just mmorpg's, in fact kinda the same for most things you enjoy in life, the thing is to make sure you enjoy whatever your doing, even if its not what you would most want to be doing.

Interesting the way this thread has developed....

Thats interesting... i look on my period of addictivness as wastet time (even though i had fun doing it)..

becuase if i had used used the same time on something else, i could have achived something RL instead, learned spanish :) or... taken some degree... etc etc ..

Hotrats

Fledgling Freddie
Filip said:
Thats interesting... i look on my period of addictivness as wastet time (even though i had fun doing it)..

becuase if i had used used the same time on something else, i could have achived something RL instead, learned spanish :) or... taken some degree... etc etc ..
Well if you think you could have spent the time you played daoc doing something more fun then I can see why you regret it.

Comes down to want you want in life I guess, taking another degree or learning a new language would be interesting, costs a heck of a lot more money though and daoc for me was good cheap fun, ofc being on a never-ending luxury travelling trip around the world with a gorgeous babe in my arms would be better, but I know that never would have happened so I don't regret it :p

I guess if I ever think of something I could have done in the time I was playing daoc (and that wouldn't have cost me any more money) then I will start regretting it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom