fao Straef

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
im trying to understand what the whine started with in the first place:)
And have no trouble figuring out that its born from frustation from something that ur not entitled to have. The whiners remind me a little bit of the old football matches i used to have as younger....they were always the dude that never wanted to give anyone else the ball. The game had its simple rules...how many were supposed to be on the field etc..but they just decided that their fun was to net the ball, preferably without anyone else touching it. If someone else wanted that they were very sulky:p And you could expect whine:p And they also had the trait that they coudlnt criticise themself and see the whole picture. Sure when they were less skilled they played with everyone else...but when they were a fast striker all of a sudden the team feeling was gone.

Here it started with a click of people that fast got rr10 or so and needed no more support from others in realm to handle things themself. Their fun of the game was clearly only rvr now. And the most fun came from defeating similar ranks or same numbers. Somewhere along the lines when people started to leave daoc for other games..or got tired of it, some of those people stayed, and realized there was not enough action for them if rest of realm was gonna chip in on "their" bounty too. So hence the frustation started....and they couldnt keep it in so they started to tell other players how they felt about it:p
They are all addicts like rest of us..or like any sane person that not enjoy a game with its rules they would have left long ago. They know that nothing can be done about it....so their only way of tryin to get what they lost from game is to try and enforce it or try and persuade other people that their way of fun is actually the only way...if you dont agree your very disrespectfull and morally wrong:) little did they realize that a large numbers of daoc didnt feel that way....cause they havent obtained their rank or have that opinion at all of the game. And here we are now....they will not leave, cause they are too adicted of the game to leave for something they would like better. So they take what they can of their fun...and get very bitter since they dont get their whole cookie by themself.
But its a little bit like John macenroes whines on the tennis field...its loud and offensive...but the judge wont change the rules anyhow:) still he continues whining. Thats the nature of frustration.

Baron

Fledgling Freddie
Great post Ebenezer

For the last week we zerglings have had a blast, speaking from an Alb point of view. Hopefully the hibs and mids have felt the same, I'm assuming they have as they keep showing up.
We are playing the game as it’s supposed to be played, realm vs realm.
These there's a nice community out there. Everyone helping each other. I have been healed, cured and rezzed on many occasions without asking. I have slammed or interrupted with out being asked.
I have congratulated or been congratulated on decent shots or kill by fellow realm mates and it makes a fantastic environment.
A /cheer /hug /wave to a fellow realm mate who is not in your group is a great way to build comradery (sp?). We don't have to be grouped to play together.
We have created a small fighting area where everyone knows it is zergy.
We are not complaining that the fg elite players are playing their way. We are not playing against the coc. We are enjoying our time amongst strangers, helping each other in the spirit of community.
I won't be so stupid as to ask the elite players of this game to stop looking down on us.
I feel sorry that you’re missing out on a really enjoyable part of the game and how the designers actually intended it to be.
Funnily enough I went to eras when it was 1st taken and we zerged the keep - unsuccessfully.
Later in /ac and /bg we were asked to help defend our land.
So now we're expected to come zerg and add.
What and where are the boundaries.
I was near crim 3 were albs were fighting hibs.
I actually tried to count them to see if there were 8 on each side when a hib started attacking the cleric from behind so naturally I started twating him with my bow.
I didn't kill him, but he did run allowing the cleric to do his job.
The one advantage I have is, I play as the designing expected me to and no one can upset me with there style of play.
Except, maybe the norseman by crim who muellered me when I was on my way to t3 and stupidly I was checking my buddies /stats unstealthed :p

/rant off

See you out there :)

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
ebenezer said:
hihih.....you came in a lil late into the discussion:p
We were having a pretty peacefull discussion....and then you swoop in and drop this beautifull line:p
i know the thread was long...but sometimes its good to read it before replyin^^

Notice the hours and the seriousness of my post xD

toxii said:
lets not hide bhind our fingers chimp, only reason you did that was cos you was sick and couldnt yell whines on vent xD

And Im trying to be nice here :(

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Grimnna said:
No problem at all that YOU think this. But don't whine if other people think different about it and do fight other realms, either if they are fighting other people or not. Is it really so hard to grasp that some people (me for instance) see every single member of an enemy realm as someone who has to be killed as soon as possible.
The only good enemy is a dead enemy, and if that is against your code of honour, good for you, but again if I see an enemy I will try and kill it now matter what I have to do for it.

Edit: If anyone ever sees a cute dorf wearing dark teal who is in a fight please help him, it's a fluffy healer that needs all the help he can get. (fyi been wearing teal since I discovered it years ago).
I'm hardly claiming that I invented the colour teal, as I was merely saying that that's the colour used in my guild group.
Yes, it is hard for me to understand how you would rather roleplay, thinking every enemy is an enemy, than that you'd let eight other people have their good fight.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Grimnna said:
Or you could go away with all the other add-haters and then "all of us minus you 10 whiners" will have more fun in the GAME (ffs)...
Because there's only a hand full of people enjoying clean fights?
As far as my own experiences go, the majority of set groups, and high-ish rr players in general, prefer having a good clean fight over one with adds, so I'm hardly with the minority.
Haggus said:
Straef is a noob ;/
Aye.
ebenezer said:
im trying to understand what the whine started with in the first place:)
And have no trouble figuring out that its born from frustation from something that ur not entitled to have. The whiners remind me a little bit of the old football matches i used to have as younger....they were always the dude that never wanted to give anyone else the ball. The game had its simple rules...how many were supposed to be on the field etc..but they just decided that their fun was to net the ball, preferably without anyone else touching it. If someone else wanted that they were very sulky:p And you could expect whine:p And they also had the trait that they coudlnt criticise themself and see the whole picture. Sure when they were less skilled they played with everyone else...but when they were a fast striker all of a sudden the team feeling was gone.

Here it started with a click of people that fast got rr10 or so and needed no more support from others in realm to handle things themself. Their fun of the game was clearly only rvr now. And the most fun came from defeating similar ranks or same numbers. Somewhere along the lines when people started to leave daoc for other games..or got tired of it, some of those people stayed, and realized there was not enough action for them if rest of realm was gonna chip in on "their" bounty too. So hence the frustation started....and they couldnt keep it in so they started to tell other players how they felt about it:p
They are all addicts like rest of us..or like any sane person that not enjoy a game with its rules they would have left long ago. They know that nothing can be done about it....so their only way of tryin to get what they lost from game is to try and enforce it or try and persuade other people that their way of fun is actually the only way...if you dont agree your very disrespectfull and morally wrong:) little did they realize that a large numbers of daoc didnt feel that way....cause they havent obtained their rank or have that opinion at all of the game. And here we are now....they will not leave, cause they are too adicted of the game to leave for something they would like better. So they take what they can of their fun...and get very bitter since they dont get their whole cookie by themself.
But its a little bit like John macenroes whines on the tennis field...its loud and offensive...but the judge wont change the rules anyhow:) still he continues whining. Thats the nature of frustration.
The whine started by me getting frustrated over continually getting added on by so-called realm mates joining in for some so-called helping out, while trying not to ruin other people's fights myself.
I guess football is an okay comparisson, as adding is like having some people throwing beercans at a teams keeper as to ruin their game, while having a laugh themselves.
It's not just rr10 people complaining, and neither do I only enjoy fights against similar realm rank groups. The other group just has to play well and give us a hard time, as to make an interesting long fight, rather than sitting down and dying. I play a rr4 paladin in rvr atm, which can be a lot more interesting than my rr8 merc, as I need to play extra well in order to make up for the lack of ra's, and I do enjoy fighting higher realm rank groups, especially when we win ;p
The funny thing is that my frustration, and other's, can easily be avoided by simply backing off and letting me be. Especially in crowded areas, you'll have no problem at all finding someone else to fight, without ruining someone else's fight.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Straef said:
I guess football is an okay comparisson, as adding is like having some people throwing beercans at a teams keeper as to ruin their game, while having a laugh themselves..

No, they're playing the game, you're the one trying to change it.

To keep with your somewhat odd example it's more like having a game of "throw the beercan at the bloke in goal" and some people keep shouting at you because for some odd reason they're trying to kick a football past him and get annoyed that he's not trying to save it.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
true streaf...hehe....you cant twist the comparison to the people not on field...cause after all we are all playing the same game...with set rules:p
but nice twist nonetheless:p

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
No, they're playing the game, you're the one trying to change it.

To keep with your somewhat odd example it's more like having a game of "throw the beercan at the bloke in goal" and some people keep shouting at you because for some odd reason they're trying to kick a football past him and get annoyed that he's not trying to save it.
Still, my rules > Mythic's rules :I
ebenezer said:
true streaf...hehe....you cant twist the comparison to the people not on field...cause after all we are all playing the same game...with set rules:p
but nice twist nonetheless:p
:)

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Short version - people get their kicks from this game different ways despite how its intended to be played.

Result - conflict of opinions. No matter your opinion keep it goddamn civil. Conflicts of opinions are good if you handle them maturely as it allows you to reason and build arguments for your opinion etc.

Most people reading/posting this should hopefully be intelligent people with a rational mind and the ability to reason and see other peoples viewpoints.

Looking at this thread thats not the impression i get sadly...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Straef said:
Still, my rules > Mythic's rules :I

:)

You can't play on that triple word score, my rules say only 5 letter words with the vowel I contained within them may be used on the triple word score!!

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
You can't play on that triple word score, my rules say only 5 letter words with the vowel I contained within them may be used on the triple word score!!
But surely you agree that nobody gets bothered by not adding, while some may be bothered if you do? If someone does want your help, they can always pm or /yell, and then you can still help your fellow realm mate out ;p

Oh, and how about you unban Samaroon in exchange for banning Cuddlebunny? Seems like a fair trade to me.

Ging

Part of the furniture
Straef said:
But surely you agree that nobody gets bothered by not adding, while some may be bothered if you do? If someone does want your help, they can always pm or /yell, and then you can still help your fellow realm mate out ;p

Adding is fantasic for two reasons

1, If added on by the third realm it gives you a good excuse as to why you lost the fight, you ofc also have the oppotunity if played well to kill the adding grp/duo/solo/zerg and spam laugh at them.

2, If added on by your own realm your get to reboof/sit/chill and carry on roaming + you got the free rps!

Feel free to discuss my devils advocate position :)

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Straef said:

As long as its ur own choise without anyone else tryin to enforce that....sure..im all for it:) still if i feel like killing an alb or mid i would. Sometimes i wait if someone have an intresting fight....sometimes i kill both...depends on what mood im in. And its all my choise:p

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
I actually read almost all of this thread and LOL @ Straef for coming close to the longest FAO thread in living memory.

It looks like this is a post cluster discussion - adding was kind of settled on Prydwen between the full groups and they reached a consensus to try and avoid it where possible. Mael ofc would always add when it suited them and occassionally things happened but as far I remember it most FG's had agreed pre cluster to avoid adding.

I just think this is possibly a clash of gaming cultures post cluster. As for adding personally if you can avoid it you should but only when the situation is clear. And thats where the problem is. It is simply a case of respecting each other and trying to be constructive and it is not about hig rr groups telling others what to do.

Grimnna

Fledgling Freddie

But surely you agree that nobody gets bothered by adding, while some may be bothered if you don't? If someone doesn't want your help, they can always pm or /yell, and then you can still stop helping your fellow realm mate out ;p

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:
I actually read almost all of this thread and LOL @ Straef for coming close to the longest FAO thread in living memory.

It looks like this is a post cluster discussion - adding was kind of settled on Prydwen between the full groups and they reached a consensus to try and avoid it where possible. Mael ofc would always add when it suited them and occassionally things happened but as far I remember it most FG's had agreed pre cluster to avoid adding.

I just think this is possibly a clash of gaming cultures post cluster. As for adding personally if you can avoid it you should but only when the situation is clear. And thats where the problem is. It is simply a case of respecting each other and trying to be constructive and it is not about hig rr groups telling others what to do.

sure respect is good:)
But unfortunatly at least on excalibur it is a case of some telling others what and how they should play. the majority on exc are not for 8vs 8 only:) and that shouldnt matter either...its a game...all pay for it with their own money...so bottom line is with how its designed and all...you do have a choise in the matter, and thats what important:)

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Ging said:
Adding is fantasic for two reasons

1, If added on by the third realm it gives you a good excuse as to why you lost the fight, you ofc also have the oppotunity if played well to kill the adding grp/duo/solo/zerg and spam laugh at them.

2, If added on by your own realm your get to reboof/sit/chill and carry on roaming + you got the free rps!

Feel free to discuss my devils advocate position :)
I agree to your first point, as I enjoy three-way fights aswell, tho you could rebuff/chill just as easily if you kill the enemy group yourself :p

Well i read most posts in the thread and basically it comes down to two diff kind of ppl,

one who dont like adds and one who do like adds.

Best thing to do then is ofc if ppl stoped adding since adding is indeed activly choosed and if the adder don't want angry /send msgs and threats flames and so on then HE better stop adding. And for the people that claims DAoC is a 300 vs 300 open battlefield game i'd like to see a verified quote from the CO that states that.
Ineed DAoC is an RvR ( Realm VS Realm ) game, but that dosn't mean you have to act like idiots and ruin other peoples gaming experiance wich you defenatly are when ur adding on everything that moves. This is ofc ur right aswell since ur a paying customer, but don't expect the ppl affected by ur selfish actions to just sit there accepting it - they will be angry and they will make threads and they will curse at you.. and you got yourself to blame for that. YOU activly choose to add on that 8v8 or 1v1 fight NOONE made you. So to everyone whining about us anti adders whining, you can make it stop - just stop add on us and it will be a more friendly atmosphere.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Grimnna said:
But surely you agree that nobody gets bothered by adding, while some may be bothered if you don't? If someone doesn't want your help, they can always pm or /yell, and then you can still stop helping your fellow realm mate out ;p
By that time the enemies will be dead, or at least a large amount of the rps will be taken away. Even so, simply by sending out a pet or casting a single mez/root/nuke the fight can be ruined, like when mezzing the support or so.
ebenezer said:
sure respect is good:)
But unfortunatly at least on excalibur it is a case of some telling others what and how they should play. the majority on exc are not for 8vs 8 only:) and that shouldnt matter either...its a game...all pay for it with their own money...so bottom line is with how its designed and all...you do have a choise in the matter, and thats what important:)
Well, I suppose that's one of the reasons I couldn't quite understand why some of you blatantly refuse not to add, even when asked or when not losing anything, which would be because I'm used (or used to be used to) to not getting added on, or not as badly as some Excal groups have been doing of late. Like Sharkith said, after having been up for three or four years, there were just some common 'rules' on Prydwen, even tho they obviously didn't apply to everyone, which were followed by an absolute majority of set groups on Prydwen. On Excalibur, however, there are obiously differences in these so-called 'unwritten rules' and playing styles and what not, which I hardly experienced myself before the clustering, as I simply never bothered getting a character into rvr on Excal :p

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Well i read most posts in the thread and basically it comes down to two diff kind of ppl,

one who dont like adds and one who do like adds.

Best thing to do then is ofc if ppl stoped adding since adding is indeed activly choosed and if the adder don't want angry /send msgs and threats flames and so on then HE better stop adding. And for the people that claims DAoC is a 300 vs 300 open battlefield game i'd like to see a verified quote from the CO that states that.
Ineed DAoC is an RvR ( Realm VS Realm ) game, but that dosn't mean you have to act like idiots and ruin other peoples gaming experiance wich you defenatly are when ur adding on everything that moves. This is ofc ur right aswell since ur a paying customer, but don't expect the ppl affected by ur selfish actions to just sit there accepting it - they will be angry and they will make threads and they will curse at you.. and you got yourself to blame for that. YOU activly choose to add on that 8v8 or 1v1 fight NOONE made you. So to everyone whining about us anti adders whining, you can make it stop - just stop add on us and it will be a more friendly atmosphere.

I know you said basicly two kinds of people. So im gonna give you the third alternative(though there might be more opinions then that), which i know a lot of people stands for as well. People that dont TRY to add cause thats nothing i get a special kick out of or not how i play all the time. I dont lable any actions of mine as such in game. Socially i dont think any single player have ever complained on me in this game, and rvr wise i use my common sence as well. If i see someone i do know, and that i know and dont like help in fights i might stop and let them have it. Sometimes i do that anyways. But like a lot of other players i dont keep track of who aded...who was a git...who need being revenged upon etc. I just play away...mostly not even looking for whom im facing. I try concentrating on what i do. And i think alot of other people play like that as well. And the thing is if i would be in the 8vs 8 camp only like you....i would prolly add on every single fight i saw. Cause acording to these threads on FH every single high rr group or opted rvr group that claims they only do fair fights, adds like crasy and steamroll soloers etc:p So....please explain to me when these so called rules aply:)? I dont wanna ruin my hours online by having to look through this immense list before every fight i have: HHMMMM lets see this is Boobswithnose, ow yeh...acording to FH he added...lets add on him. Or : HHMMMMmm this is Bajsruntmunnens group..acording to the list he dont care if helped...OK lets help out and fight:p
Thats not my idea of fun, so me and the friends that play together is gonna do like we always played this game....non competitive fun rvr....use our common sence and ignore the hypocrites and whiners:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom