FAO: people who cant spell. omgffs.

E

Ekydus

I don't really see how anyone who is English here can complain...

Atleast everyone else has made the effort to speak some form of English...

Look at us, the English, I can't really say that we are anything special. We don't learn any other languages 99% of the time, except basic French. The other countries learn pretty much all of the English language and I must say, they're usually better at it than the English anyway.

I think that you should learn one of their languages and try a full-on conversation before you accuse anyone. It's damn hard.

And here is a nice Swedish phrase for you to prove that some of us aren't ignorant.
"Du skrammer inte mig." (Please excuse my spelling :p)

E

ezrolith

Im with aucard on this.. my best friend is dyslexic and if people made comments like 'learn to spell retard' to her she would probably be very upset to say the least, try to have some consideration for people who can't, obviously theres alot of people who write totally fucked up to the power of 10 for reasons beyond me from their own free will, but some people have difficulty doing things that to you are trivial... I think you should try and be more considerate.

O

old.Wildfire

"You obviously have no idea what dyslexia is. Hang on il give you time to think !! Give up ? Well to enlighten you and your so huge brain dyslexia is a learning disability with trying to distinguish words and letters in written form eg reversing words, writing letters back to front, not being able to remember the sequence of letters in a word or sometimes reading from right to left. It doesnt matter one bit what language its written and they can see the same words day in and day out and be able to spell them verbally but still have problems writing/typing them. And before you flame me my daughter is dyslexic so i know all to well what it is."

Congratulations, you're a moron. You've just underlined everything I already said. Dyslexia would mean that a person would sometimes spell words wrongly. It would not mean that they would spell the same word wrongly in the same way every time they wrote it for months on end.

Aucard I know plenty of people with dyslexia, so please, enough with the dramatics and "you make me very sad IRL" crap. STFU.

"If you dont have Dyslexia, you cant understand it."

Wrong. Firstly that's one of the most stupid blanket statements I've ever heard, secondly I happen to study biosciences and know plenty about things like dyslexia, thanks.

Let's say I meet a guy one day and he refers to "Castle Savage". Throughout the course of time the I'm playing with him, he refers to it two or three times, each time as "Castle Savage". We go our seperate ways, and the next time I meet him, he's still referring to it as "Castle Savage". A month later, where do I have to meet him for a keep retake? Castle fucking Savage.

This is not a tragic, tear-jerking case of dyslexia.
This is an annoying case of ignorance.

Also when are you people going to latch onto the fact that it doesnt matter what fucking language you speak, the spellings for everything in-game are the same. Don't gimme the "I no speaka gooda henglish, I spec smite and ench..." crap.

"Wildfire, maybe its time for you to move on this is a game and if you cant accept ppl makes some spelling mistakes then you really need to get a life."

Nope. Come back and post when you've actually read the thread.

"cease your half-brained fascist ramblings wildfire"

1) often Fascist An advocate or adherent of fascism.
2) A reactionary or dictatorial person.

Oh please. As you're obviously trying to be high-brow, do me the favour of going back over my posts and pointing out where I have dictated anything. Of course, with your infinite wisdom, you should have no difficulty differentiating between someone saying "this pisses me off" and someone saying "do this". Did you call your mother as a fascist when she told you to eat your dinner?

E

Ekydus

Yes, Wildfire... Savage is spelt Sauvage.
But, Savage is still understandable and it isn't exactly going to lose us a Relic etc.

I presume minor mistakes like this in RvR aren't exactly going to make Albion crumble... you still know what he/she means.

How can little things like this actually get on your nerves so much?

Another thing i'd like to know please, is; Do you find abbreviations annoying? I.E. CS /ATK etc... Lyon /Dun Crim /Excal etc?

E

Ekg

I am so happy that asses like Wildfire are in alb..

kthxbye

O

old.Wildfire

Annoying enough to post once on BW.
I've only bothered to post again because people decided to take the opportunity to make personal attacks on me.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

WF's post, although not eloquently expressed, contains a very valid point. The spelling of names and places remain the same irrespective of the mother-tongue of the player. And I can sympathise that it might get annoying.

In the "Savage" example, I would know exactly what that player meant. The only thing I might have responded with would have been something like "OK m8, see you at Castle Sauvage later then". A related issue concerns genuine mistakes - eg. DC to one player is Dun Crim; to another it might be Crauch. I digress.

But there are genuine reasons for the errors, and the most polite thing is to defer to a policy of tolerance. How players react to spelling mistakes is as personal to each player as his choice of character name.

But WF should not be flamed for expressing frustration. He's entitled to his views as we all are.

The real issue, as with so many arguments on BW and elsewhere is that, sadly, the game is played by many people who use personal ignorance and xenophobic intollerance towards others to fuel their own personal, anti-social opinions.

We all need to remind ourselves that this is a MMORPG which is played globally by people of every nationality, race, and religion. Where else, other than in the anonymity of the internet, will you be able to communicate to your fellow human beings without the ugliness of geographical or race based prejudice ?

If people are unable to get along even virtually, what hope do we have in the real world ?

K

kaod

I really can't be arsed to study all the names of the mobs that there are in the game, so If I, or anyone else mispell them tough shit.
I try to make sure the important ones are right, although I do in fact get mjollner (faste) and mjollnir mixed up

WF is entitled to his views without being flamed?
Well, a person who comes onto a forum flaming people for not being as anal as himself can expect nothing less.

My view? I'm ignorant in regards to many of the names in DAoC - so sue me.
People like WF make me want to intentionally spell things wrong just because I now know it annoys him.

O

old.Wildfire

"People like WF make me want to intentionally spell things wrong just because I now know it annoys him."

Along the same lines, kids like you make me wonder why they dont lock you in school until you've grown out of the "doing something because it pisses someone else off" phase.

T

thefunkrocket

Originally posted by old.Wildfire
Let's say I meet a guy one day and he refers to "Castle Savage". Throughout the course of time the I'm playing with him, he refers to it two or three times, each time as "Castle Savage". We go our seperate ways, and the next time I meet him, he's still referring to it as "Castle Savage". A month later, where do I have to meet him for a keep retake? Castle fucking Savage.

This is not a tragic, tear-jerking case of dyslexia.
This is an annoying case of ignorance.

While that is true I really don't see how that can annoy anyone in any way, shape or form, but maybe some people, including myself, spell things differently because it's easier, and before you say it's not that much harder, it isn't but I'd much rather spend my time doing killing random stuff than making sure I spell every word completely correctly.

Also when are you people going to latch onto the fact that it doesnt matter what fucking language you speak, the spellings for everything in-game are the same. Don't gimme the "I no speaka gooda henglish, I spec smite and ench..." crap.

2) Clerics can spec in rejuvenation, smite, and ENHANCEMENTS. not ENCHANTMENTS. There is a BIG difference.

Technically Enhancement would be an English word. Now while I haven't seen a copy of DAoC in another language, so I can't say it isn't, I'm pretty sure enhancement would have been translated for the different version so really you can't complain if someone spells it enchantment unless you know english is their 1st language.

G

g0ldenbone

Oh please. As you're obviously trying to be high-brow, do me the favour of going back over my posts and pointing out where I have dictated anything. Of course, with your infinite wisdom, you should have no difficulty differentiating between someone saying "this pisses me off" and someone saying "do this". Did you call your mother as a fascist when she told you to eat your dinner? [/B]

ok.. so you're annoyed, and thats fine. Happens to everyone all the time..

It was actually a direct response to the 'learn to spell you fricken in-breds' flame, which was, as intended, both abusive and dictatorial.

And in what way was my comment an attempt at being high-brow? I thought it was fairly obvious that It was just a pretty simple expression of distaste.

A

Alkoran

Spelling is in no way a measurement of intelligence.
I belive Dyslexia can cause a word to be mispelt the same way multiple times...I'm pretty sure of this.
I personally consistantly misspell words the same way, because of the way I remember/work-out how things are spelt, I have very little tollerance for people who are anoyed by mispelt words when the meaning is very clear, "veiw" is quite obviously "view" I'd give more examples but I can't remeber the correct spellings :D
Anyone who thinks mispelling or mispronounciation are destroy the language should know that this is what happens to languages, they get distorted, change and evolve, look through a large copy of the "oxford dictionary" or other relavant book and you will find descriptions of where each word is belived to have come from and how it has changed.
If the way words are spelt is of deep importance to you and you feel personally insulted when others cannot spell, I would sugest a moment of thought regarding the cause of this and a reassesment of the stresses in your life.

K

kaod

"People like WF make me want to intentionally spell things wrong just because I now know it annoys him."

Along the same lines, kids like you make me wonder why they dont lock you in school until you've grown out of the "doing something because it pisses someone else off" phase.

Yeah well if that's the only thing you can pick on from what I said, you virtually conceded defeat.

And by the way, you started it. :p

O

old.Wildfire

idiots :great:

edit: "Now while I haven't seen a copy of DAoC in another language, so I can't say it isn't, I'm pretty sure enhancement would have been translated for the different version so really you can't complain if someone spells it enchantment unless you know english is their 1st language."

The language of the GUI is dependant on the server you play on. People who play on excalibur (an english server) see everything in english.

J

j000 d000d

I don't think half the players in this game is dyslectic.

There's way too many players who just say names wrong.

And no, not a typo, but just every fucking time they say it wrong. (like Castle Savage)

V

villageidiot

Some people cant spell.

Get over it you tosser.

Furthermore the word hypacrite springs to mind, loads has one O not eight.

A

alithiel50

Originally posted by villageidiot
hypacrite
The word you're looking for is hypocrite....

Please learn to spell before flaming someone who made a post about people not being able to spell! :rolleyes:

I guess your username is appropriate in this case.... ;)

O

old.ST200

·20:13· <Wildfire^FC^> we'd have no idea until we got the messages that they had taken the relcis

die irl

H

Hatt

People who can't spell stuff right (or simply dont take the time to look to see how it's spelt right) piss me off. Or rather, they piss me off when I see looooooooads of people doing the same thing over and over and over and over...

1) Band of ILMENITE. not IIMENITE. Look what happens when I put a capital I and then a lower case L... Ilmenite. WOO! CONFUSING! <sigh> (ok perhaps not so confusing in this font, but we're talking basic rules of written language here. Things with titles have a capital letter and the rest is in lower case. grr.

2) Clerics can spec in rejuvenation, smite, and ENHANCEMENTS. not ENCHANTMENTS. There is a BIG difference.

There are others but I cant think of them right now.
Have a nice day.

1. dont --> should be don't
2. to look to see --> enough with to see
3. looooooooads --> loads
4. over and over and over and over ---> should be over, over, over and over
5. not --> first word in a sentence.. capital N plz.
6. (ok perhaps..... ---> where is the ) ???
7. grr. --> First (and last) word in a sentence capital G plz.
8. spec --> short for specialation (dunno about my own spelling here) add a dot after spec and it should be ok.
9. not --> first word in a sentence.. capital N plz.

OK i know im not that good at english myself so you dont have to tell me.. just showing you what you did wrong WF.

Have a nice day ;)

J

j000 d000d

Re: Re: FAO: people who cant spell. omgffs.

Originally posted by Hatt
1. dont --> should be don't
2. to look to see --> enough with to see
3. looooooooads --> loads
4. over and over and over and over ---> should be over, over, over and over
5. not --> first word in a sentence.. capital N plz.
6. (ok perhaps..... ---> where is the ) ???
7. grr. --> First (and last) word in a sentence capital G plz.
8. spec --> short for specialation (dunno about my own spelling here) add a dot after spec and it should be ok.
9. not --> first word in a sentence.. capital N plz.

OK i know im not that good at english myself so you dont have to tell me.. just showing you what you did wrong WF.

Have a nice day ;)

he's not talking about english spelling

H

Hatt

Re: Re: Re: FAO: people who cant spell. omgffs.

Originally posted by Teador
he's not talking about english spelling

FAO: people who cant spell. omgffs.

i didnt read the stuff he wrote.. just the topic

G

Garnet

I think there is nothing wrong with people spelling things wrong as we all do it. As long as people knows what it means its ok in my eyes.

U

Urme the Legend

I know what Wildfire means. And he isn't talking about Dyslexia.

For example I get pissed when people call Midgard, Midguard. Wtf where did they get Midguard from? That word got a complete different meaning. But even I can misspell, let's say "Bledmeer", too many E imo :)

And no my native language isn't English, it's Swedish.

And 50% of the people in Daoc don't got Dyslexia, most are just lazy or are in a hurry :)

But I don't actually care that much :great:

A

Alkoran

Meaning, for some people, has little bearing on spelling. Midguard and Midgard are the same if you’re spelling by phonetics.

U

Urme the Legend

But you don't go around and spell names different just because they got the same "phonetics".

A

Alkoran

Originally posted by alithiel50
The word you're looking for is hypocrite....

Please learn to spell before flaming someone who made a post about people not being able to spell! :rolleyes:

I guess your username is appropriate in this case.... ;)

This is a bit of a stupid comment really, if you're posting to say incorrect spelling is not a problem you do not need to ensure all of your spelling is accurate. It would be rather like an anti-facist protest consisting of a large group of people who all went home because a policeman told them they wern't allowed to protest. There was no need to correct the previous post.

A

Alkoran

Originally posted by Urme the Legend
But you don't go around and spell names different just because they got the same "phonetics".
This demonstrates that you have failed to acknowledge that there are other ways of processing information than your own.
I, myself, do infact spell the same word differently because I do not commit to memory the spelling. Instead, I remember the sound and approximate shape of the word and from this deduce a spelling. This is because I am unable to remember how to spell every word I use.

U

Urme the Legend

Then I'm sorry, but I didn't refered to people with Dyslexia. But maybe all who spell Midgard as Midguard got Dyslexia.. and Midguard was just an example amongst alot of words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom