Falklands War 2: The reboot

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
You dont watch 'The Apprentice' then? There was some ex-army officer on it who tried to cook sausages using one of these.

It was a disaster and they didnt cook.

Yeah what a fuckwit he was though, he didn't even know how to get it going properly. Definately an officer that boy, he would usually have a butler to light it for him. ;) :D :p

Vae

Resident Freddy
USA might get pissed but can they actually do something about it?

they might bark a whole lot but i'm not entirely conviced how hard they can bite at the moment.

they have how many wars going on right now?

can they really get away with another one, both politically and financially, even it its for helping an ally?

that would mean that THEY had to pull troops from afganistan and iraq aswell, and i'm pretty sure hell freezes over before THAT happen :)

If the US wanted to get involved it could do so easily without withdrawing troops from Iraq or Afghanistan. The main likelihood if it got involved would be to move a carrier group into the area (and or subs) and the less likely option would be moving air defence assets. Neither of which are exactly engaged in Iraq/Afghanistan atm.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Why on earth would the US take an active role in defending the Falklands? If it all kicked off they'd do exactly what they did last time, act as a go-between and supply the UK with intel and satellite tasking. They have far too many latin American interests to do anything overt against Argentina.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
UK wouldnt need any other help, unless other nations got involved

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You dont watch 'The Apprentice' then? There was some ex-army officer on it who tried to cook sausages using one of these.

It was a disaster and they didnt cook.

That's because he was a numpty

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Why on earth would the US take an active role in defending the Falklands? If it all kicked off they'd do exactly what they did last time, act as a go-between and supply the UK with intel and satellite tasking. They have far too many latin American interests to do anything overt against Argentina.

Unless Chavez loans them his planes, then it gets interesting real fast.

DaGaffer

Unless Chavez loans them his planes, then it gets interesting real fast.

He's only got 22 SU-30s. Even if he loaned Argentina the lot (highly unlikely) the UK has more than enough Typhoons that could be ferried in to ensure parity. It would certainly be "interesting" though; there was an exercise between the RAF and Indian AF a few years ago that saw Typhoons up against SU-30s, and although the results have never been revealed, rumour has it that it certainly wasn't a turkey-shoot for the Brylcreem boys.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
He's only got 22 SU-30s. Even if he loaned Argentina the lot (highly unlikely) the UK has more than enough Typhoons that could be ferried in to ensure parity. It would certainly be "interesting" though; there was an exercise between the RAF and Indian AF a few years ago that saw Typhoons up against SU-30s, and although the results have never been revealed, rumour has it that it certainly wasn't a turkey-shoot for the Brylcreem boys.

Heh funny you post that, I read it somewhere else earlier in the week and they indicated that the Typhoons won but with some significant losses. That is the problem I guess, 4 Tyhpoons won't be enough to hold the Islands against even dozen SU-30's. It would give the yanks a damn good reason invade Venezuela though and seize the oil reserves. ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Venezuela loaning arms to a country for the sole purpose of invading sovereign British territory would effectively be a declaration of war, would it not?

rynnor

Rockhound
It would give the yanks a damn good reason invade Venezuela though and seize the oil reserves. ;)

Chavez must be high on the Yanks list - any semi-legal reason would see em down there.

DaGaffer

Venezuela loaning arms to a country for the sole purpose of invading sovereign British territory would effectively be a declaration of war, would it not?

Nah, you slap Argie insignia on them, call your loan pilots "advisors" and off you go. The Chinese AF in Korea and the North Vietnamese AF both used Russian kit and pilots, but it didn't mean the USSR had declared war. On the other side the British have done the same thing in the middle east for years.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
either wich way i still think argentina would give up when all the english football pros go home :)
no english football pros in argentina = fucked up football teams = PISSED OFF population = revolt :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
either wich way i still think argentina would give up when all the english football pros go home :)
no english football pros in argentina = fucked up football teams = PISSED OFF population = revolt :p

You are beyond help.

Gumbo

FH is my second home

Name an English player in the Argentinian league.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
He's on a trolling wind up, based on his lack of knowledge of any given subject again Gumbo.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
BBC News - Argentine leader says UK 'arrogant' over Falklands

New Argentine president is getting a bit aggro. Called Cameron's comments an "expression of mediocrity, and almost of stupidity". She then said the British "continue to be a crude colonial power in decline".

Cheeky bitch. :D Now you definately can't have them back! Not that they were yours in the first place, cheeky cnuts!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They weren't yours either :)

Judging from location Argentina surely has more right to claim ownership than you guys.

Yes they were! We settled them long before Argentina even existed as a nation! Oh and remember that they were immigrants who stole Argentina from the local tribes such as Patagonia. The facts are, Argentina as a nation has NEVER held those islands, they were expelled after setting up a penal colony just 4 months after landing. We laid claim in 1776 and I don't see why we have to give them to a nation that didn't come into existance until 50 years later. :p

Angrist

Part of the furniture
Yes they were! We settled them long before Argentina even existed as a nation! Oh and remember that they were immigrants who stole Argentina from the local tribes such as Patagonia. The facts are, Argentina as a nation has NEVER held those islands, they were expelled after setting up a penal colony just 4 months after landing. We laid claim in 1776 and I don't see why we have to give them to a nation that didn't come into existance until 50 years later. :p

Well.. none of the nations in South America existed back when Europe did the whole "white imperialists conquers the world" and John Davis happened to stumble upon the Falklands. By that reasoning you guys might as well claim the whole continent... You'd probably have to share it with Spain, France and Holland though. :)

Anyway as i said... Judging from locations it sure as hell aint yours :)

Oh and Hi Chodax :D I've been rather absent here for a while, good to see ya all again.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Well.. none of the nations in South America existed back when Europe did the whole "white imperialists conquers the world" and John Davis happened to stumble upon the Falklands. By that reasoning you guys might as well claim the whole continent... You'd probably have to share it with Spain, France and Holland though. :)

Oh and Hi Chodax :D I've been rather absent here for a while, good to see ya all again.

Geography is more or less irrelevant these days. I lived on the British Channel islands for a year... they're an hour by boat from France. But they've been English (Norman) for some 900 years... does that mean France has a claim to them simply because they're closer? All the inhabitants consider themselves British... it is the same for the Falklands. Now that the islands might actually be worth something (oil and gas), its even more reason to hold on to them.

The argies are beating around the bush for one reason.... UN charter regarding self determination: the locals would gladly vote to remain park of the UK. So democratically, the Argentinians don't have a leg to stand on. It is the same for Gibraltar and Spain

Embattle

FH is my second home
The other issue being that many of these countries have land that falls into such a questionable status when using location as an argument.

It doesn't matter what CFK says any way or Argentina for that matter, there really isn't any point in much discussion when you know what they will want and you know what you want can't really be bought together to a solution so why waste the time.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

If we are going by geography then there are many islands that should belong to someone else. That is not how things are done though.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Listen, I am not going to argue with ya, any peice of land we looked at and built a house on is ours! There are alpha males and alpha nations, we are fucking alpha dude! :D

Oh and welcome back! :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
if it was taken by force of arms, then youve lost it, sorry. likewise if there was noone there at the time, its gone. squatters rights work aswell ; if someone else has had it for 300-400 years then its not really "yours" to demand back is it.

and there is a certain train of thought, especially with the falklands, that goes "if you arent strong enough to take it back, you arent strong enough to defend it, therefore you dont deserve it if you cant protect it"

but if were going to get into land taken from other people, im waiting for the americans to weigh in.. and all leave so the amerindians can have their continent back ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom