Exclusive FH Comp!! Win Goa War Beta Keys!!!

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm. Whats allowed to do with the category c entry? Having some fun with it in photoshop, adding some stuff etc?

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
I'm curious to know the position of Goa and Mythic with your policy.
They have specified dozen of times before that the beta key Musn't be sold.
And this challenge.... You are plugged on the Goa website and you are using it to gathering money.

I don't think it's fair, and I am not sure that GOA would agree with this policy.

Tilda

I'm curious to know the position of Goa and Mythic with your policy.
They have specified dozen of times before that the beta key Musn't be sold.
And this challenge.... You are plugged on the Goa website and you are using it to gathering money.

I don't think it's fair, and I am not sure that GOA would agree with this policy.

Its not being sold.
Freddyshouse has a deal with GOA to provide keys to whoever wins the competition.
Because FH is a loss-making venture, we chose to restrict the competition to paying subscribers to help make some of that back, and also reward the members who have supported us in the past by subscribing.

And to quote Requiel/Iain the GOA Community Manager on waralliance;

IainC_Goa said:
It's a legitimate competition. We've partnered with our friends at Freddyshouse to give away beta keys and other goodies to European WAR fans.
Freddyshouse has put together a really great competition that we feel is worthy of the fantastic prizes on offer. There will be other competitions later in association with other English language fansites but we gave Freddyshouse the first shot because they've been great partners for us in the past and we wanted to give them something back.

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
I can't see nowhere they are saying they are authorizing the selling of the key.
Or at least they are agree with the fact you have to pay to enter in.

royo

Fledgling Freddie
You are NOT paying any money for the key itself, you are paying money to gain access to a premium membership on freddyshouse, the fact that they have a competition for their premium members is OK with Goa, and it's a nice way to give back something to the people that support your site.

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, that's a really good attempt to manipulate the fact.

Look at the real fact:

You are seeing an announcment for a contest on the news of Goa's website.
You are going to this contest.
But you need to pay to enter in this contest to win a beta key.
Oups sorry, you are not paying for the key or the contest, but for the forum.
But if you haven't paid for the forum you can't enter this contest.

That's exactly the same way, but you are trying to hide the fact.

It could be a great chance to get a big amount of money, because these contest got a really good audience.

I would be glad to see a word from GOA, hearing them saying that I have to shut my mouth.
Even if I would not agree with it, because it's so different to there current policy, I would have to shut up.

I agreed that donation is a good way to support this site or any other one.
But now, you are using the gift from Goa to gather money, that's a totally different thing.

This contest make your forum more visible and you are using it to get some money. "You can't have your cake and eat it".

That should be the choice of users to choose to pay or not for your website if they like it, that's not what is going on here.

You are probably understanding what I mean, but that's a so beautiful opportunity to gather money, why not exploiting it? ;)

royo

Fledgling Freddie
1.50 quid per month, 10 quid if you buy for a whole year. You haven't looked how many signed up, it's not a lot... They're not exactly getting rich off this but I doubt anyone will try to convince you further. Changing the contest rules now would be unfair to the subscribers so it will stay the way it is now, I believe.
There are other ways to get your hands on a key, just keep checking out other community websites, they're bound to start up contests and such, and there are 4000 keys which have not been sent out to Europe subscribers yet.

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
That was not for getting a beta key that I was arguing.
That was just to point out an attitude I dislike.
I would probably enter in this contest for fun If I can handle my problem with my comp.
This contest is fun, but these rules are a shame.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
We were happy for Freddys to make this a subscriber only contest. They aren't in any way 'selling beta keys'. They've done a lot to support us and the English DAoC community in the past and they have some great plans to continue that partnership in the future with WAR. Unfortunately it costs the admins of this site a great deal of money to do so which is why we agreed that they could use this competition to try and help with that. This competition is to reward those who have already helped to support Freddyshouse and to encourage others to follow their lead. If you don't want to subscribe to Freddyshouse then there will be other competitions later - either here or on other fansites - that won't require you to subscribe.

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
ok, now I have to shut up.

Congratulation to Ogrelin Blodig for his "wonderful piece of art", he definitivly deserve to win his key (that he didn't bought :flame:)
That was a good fight.

Cheers.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
We were happy for Freddys to make this a subscriber only contest. They aren't in any way 'selling beta keys'. They've done a lot to support us and the English DAoC community in the past and they have some great plans to continue that partnership in the future with WAR. Unfortunately it costs the admins of this site a great deal of money to do so which is why we agreed that they could use this competition to try and help with that. This competition is to reward those who have already helped to support Freddyshouse and to encourage others to follow their lead. If you don't want to subscribe to Freddyshouse then there will be other competitions later - either here or on other fansites - that won't require you to subscribe.

Thanks for posting IainC.

Folks: I can assure you that here at FH we may have a relaxed attitude to many things but we hold very dear the honest values of gaming which include a harsh policy against people posting any hacks or warez information and partnering with GOA in the past to uphold their ingame CoC with our own rules. There is no way that we would have taken any underhand steps to try to cheat people into paying for site membership, and the decision to make the competition subscriber only was done in advance, and announced in advance, with the full knowledge and support of GOA. I will be removing posts from the other threads about this matter.

Those who have entered without realising they need to subscribe are free to subscribe before the competition closes or make their entry a 'just for fun' one. Personally I have really enjoyed seeing the entries we have coming in :)

finally, deathm... you may not wish to subscribe to FreddysHouse for this competition, but stick around and be part of the discussions please. Being a 'partner' with GOA means we also have other information for all of our users, such as Damini's report from the press event.

Ta muchly,

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Well i think its a great idea:) At the end of the day IMO its just the way things work. FH costs alot to run but they dont force us to sub here just to use the place, then along comes a way to help ease the costs for running the site AND have a nice little gift or 2 for subscribers. Its just the same as a computer magazine with a dvd on the front, you can go into the shop and read the magazine but if u want the dvd u have to buy the magazine:) Fully optional and fair:)

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sorry for this episode.
I'm managing a website too. That's not a gamer website that's a Computer Graphics website, it take us a lot of time, we have done lot of works, translating the documentation who didn't exist for our community.
It helps to sell the software we are supporting, but anything we have done was needed to be paid by our users.
That's why it make me a little angry.
I never seen any art contest before who need to get a fee.
There is a big website who make big challenge, with price for more than 10 thousands of dollars, they got membership, but their challenge are open for every users. The membership is done to support them, not to enter in any contest.

And what disturbed me too with this contest, was the entry who is eligible in the art contest.
That's a pure joke, who didn't take more than 1min to the user. He didn't make any effort to enter in, but because he paid, he can win.

That's my thought about this, I feel it unfair. That's probably because I'm not used of this kind of policy.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The competition is free to enter.

Entry is only open to FreddysHouse subscribers. This decision was taken in order to give something back to those who support FreddysHouse.

Anyone can be a subscriber if they want to, it's not a restricted club. If you don't want to then don't, simple as.

I'm sorry that this this isn't an a back of a coke can, no loyalty necessary competition but frankly you need to stop talking shit.

Gimpmybride

Fledgling Freddie
noob

:clap: im so new im shiny, i have a great line for the picture but don't know how to find the link to post to it any help?

Gimpmybride

Fledgling Freddie
Ok i cant work out how this all works so here is my caption for the picture.

'When you said you wanted me to give head while holding a huge chopper in my hands i had something a little more personal in mind than you chopping mine off!'

(not rude it's all inuendo hope i didn't offend)

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
The competition is free to enter.
Entry is only open to FreddysHouse subscribers. [...] but frankly you need to stop talking shit.

"competition n.The act of competing, as for profit or a prize;"

You're right I should stop talking shit, we are not using the same words.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
"competition n.The act of competing, as for profit or a prize;"

You're right I should stop talking shit, we are not using the same words.

Wow, you can quote from answers.com... impressive, except as with the quote of my previous post you only select parts that you twist and manipulate to your side. The full answers.com definition being:
com·pe·ti·tion (kŏm'pĭ-tĭsh'ən) pronunciation
n.

1. The act of competing, as for profit or a prize; rivalry.
2. A test of skill or ability; a contest: a skating competition.
3. Rivalry between two or more businesses striving for the same customer or market.
4. A competitor: The competition has cornered the market.
5. Ecology. The simultaneous demand by two or more organisms for limited environmental resources, such as nutrients, living space, or light.
sts, k?

mre802

Fledgling Freddie
WAR Catagorie A entry

A Skirmish Between Greenskins and dwarves on a very british day:england:

Attachments

• WARentry(edited).JPG
    WARentry(edited).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 21

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
Wow, you can quote from answers.com... impressive, except as with the quote of my previous post you only select parts that you twist and manipulate to your side. The full answers.com definition being:sts, k?

How can you be tested if you cannot be judged?
Or maybe you will judge everyone and give price to those who paid?
So the real winner will not be the one who was judge as it, but the one who will come next and has pay.

If I quoted the only the first sentence it was because you were giving price. So that's the one who fit best.
The second is for a contest with no price at all.

I don't think I'm the one who try to manipulate the fact.

That's a free contest where you have to pay...

Talivar

Part of the furniture
If u dont wanna pay and join then just stop whining pls, no1 is forcing ppl to join its 100% voluntary. There are lots and lots of competitions where you have to be a member or atleast pay to enter, its not like FH breaking some unknown rule. You are just making yourself look very bitter and childish IMO :(

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Wow

Should have known some of the hijacking monkies on the forums could turn a great idea into a whine thread...

FH has been a place a lot of us have spent many, many hours over the years. It's a small price for a yearly subs to thank the guys/girls giving up their free time to run the site and even paying to host it...

Personally, I didn't subscribe for the competition (I've been a paid up subscriber for a couple of years) but it is an added bonus I'm happy to get!!!

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The people complaining aren't even regular FreddysHouse users. Freshly registered a few days ago to complain.

If you've really got a problem with it though, you should be contacting GOA and not FH. Chances are it'll be ignored as it's Iain who will probably deal with such a complaint and he's the one saying it's okay!

deathm

Fledgling Freddie
Yes there are competition where you need to pay, in these competition you are making a pool and this pool is the prize. Here, GOA give you Beta Keys.
Furthemore there were many other contest before done with GOA who were totally free of charge.
They were giving 25 beta keys, and other prices and it was free of charge to enter in, but they are probably stupid morrons.
Why should you be able to change that?
I will always whine if I see something who is not fair.

That's nothing more than a gathering of money, if that was, like you said, to reward your supporters, the contest would be available to member who were supporting you before this contest.

But you are thinking that the new subscriber aren't paying to enter in the contest?

Yes, I'm probably stupid to think like that. You are right, that's free.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Hi deathm,

This particular contest is open to everyone who is a FHsubscriber. I'm assuming you've not been here before you signed up to the forums, so you'll not know, but most people subscribing to the premium FH service are doing it for their own reasons, and have been doing it well before this particular competition came along.

If people want to subscribe to the premium service so they can get a chance to win a key, that is up to them. If people are signing up to the forums and subscribing to the premium service specifically to try to win a key, then that is up to them. We, ofc, would hope that they would stay and become part of our fun community, but that is again up to them.

This particular competition has been approved by both GOA and FH staff, and has nothing to do with selling WAR keys, but everything to do with a creative competition that FH has asked GOA to help them arrange. You seem to be of mind that you can buy a key from FH, but that is not the case. We do *not* have WAR beta keys for sale, and we do not condone actions that break FH and/or GOA rules, terms and conditions.

If you refuse to subscribe to the FH premium service, then that is fine with us, but sadly this competition will be closed to you. As you mention earlier, there may be another shower of beta keys on another site or in another community, and you'll be better off going there or some other place where there is no pay as you go policy.

Just to reiterate points mentioned by my fellow mods above: FH does not make money. FH is staffed by a number of volunteers who donate large amounts of time and resources to provide a fun place for a goodly amount of people to have fun with each other. People who become FHsubscribers tend to do so because they have been around for ages and want to give something back. This particular competition is us giving back to them.

Cheers,

Slayn

Loyal Freddie
I think this is a really interesting issue. Perhaps the discussion should be moved to a separate thread but as I havn't seen one I'll post here.

On the legal front, I did some googling and found this site:

‘What does… stand for?’ Comping terminology

It differentiates prize draws, which don't involve skill and *can't* have an entry fee (this is why prizes in crisp packets etc. have 'no purchase necessary clauses) from competitions. Competitions involve an element of skill and legally speaking it is fine to include some fee or other purchase to enter them. The site also suggests that this is quite common practice.

It is also very understandable the point by mods that they want to reward the community etc. Beta keys are sought after, and a competition like this will be linked on other sites all over the web. That means the second FH put this competition up the site will have a big influx of people who have never heard of FH but want to get a beta key. It is in a sense quite nice that the mods care enough to attempt to restrict the competition to genuine FH users.

The most interesting choice is perhaps the following: do they allow people to subscribe purely in order to enter the competition, or, alternatively, do they say you can only enter if you were *already* subscribed when the competition started. The latter option would dispel any claim that the competition was being treated as a money-maker, but many would be upset because despite having been involved in the FH community for ages, and in their way contributing a lot to its identity, they aren't allowed to enter the competition. This last thing is not at all desirable in my eyes.

So in summary, I reckon people should think about all the above issues when making a judgement about the decision. It is not clearcut and cannot be reduced to some simple motivation on the part of the site.

vaggos

Fledgling Freddie
The problem is that in the announcements around the websites you don't state its a competition for FH subscribers so what you are doing is illegal;aren't you in europe? I have checked this with my lawyer and states that I am tricked to register and find out later that you have to pay for it. I don't have that much knowledge to write more details like my lawyer does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom