Games Ex-DAoC Soldiers, where are they now?

Corleone

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all,

I had an email from FH few weeks ago reminding me I was a member, which brought back old good memories of sitting for hours & hours playing DAoC, so I thought I would send a post :)

I was on the euro servers, mainly Excal as an Alb playing as a scout called Darkhorse for anyone who remembers back to about 2001 - 2003 or something (and and Armsman, Corleone who was in semi-retirement) and I think..Prydwen a bit as a middie. I was a bit of a crafter, as my siggy declares, and belonged to the guild ASq.

Great game, and Ive never played another like it for the involvement that its RvR gave. I left only due to Trials of Atlantis seemed to make the artifacts a "must have" for competative play in RvR - and the huge time sink that it was gaining those artifacts + master levels. Im not sure about the US servers but on our server a lot of greed raised its ugly head :twak:

Sometimes it was a frustrating game - getting ganked by 3 stealthers while moving solo from battle to battle (yeah, I know, should have known) but obtaining revenge a half hour later :m00: Generally it evened out.

It got me wondering what happened to all the ex-DAoC players, at least on the euro servers anyway as I gather the US ones are still going. I tried games such as EQ2, Eve, Warhammer, World Of Warcraft and they just didnt feel the same.

Looking back, it was one of the best few years of my life on DAoC - the game coupled with being in early 20's, no commitments or pressures of a career, and an easy job at the time which covered my outgoings. Happy days :clap:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
majority will be either playing World Of Warcraft, Aion, Eve or Final Fantasy.

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Corleone i remember you, seen you around those years (abdel/Kam) hope everything is ok, like many of us i stopped playing, now bit more than 1 year, but maybe i will come back to check out Ywain server on the US since u can transfer your european toons to it (something that GoA europe said to me was technically impossible)
The game is not the same old good thing, however still RvR is the best you can find and you can have some highlighted moments about it.

Still seems prices per month have raised from 12€ to... i dunno, it was 10€ at the very first moments of the game, anyways, may worth a try to get back old memories who knows, altho ur template would be so outdated i guess u will find old friends and nice people on guilds willing to help you out ;)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
BloodOmen has turned into an angry old man after he quit daoc..

DAOC - It keeps you young!

gohan

FH is my second home
i just play with myself .........

mainly paly FPS's now never found another mmo with the same feeling that daoc had, and that included the shit heap of current daoc

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Civ4
OpenTTD
Anno1404
Legacy of Kain

Mmorpgs have lost their appeal. Always the same repetition, same l33t kids trying to be smart.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Looking back, it was one of the best few years of my life on DAoC - the game coupled with being in early 20's, no commitments or pressures of a career, and an easy job at the time which covered my outgoings. Happy days :clap:

Try being 17-18 old student :p I blame daoc for not getting laid thought :(

Seriously speaking i miss Prydwen,was such tight knitted community atleast on Hibby side. Anyone still remembers those events GOA used to do?

Edit: God,i write like old man

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Seriously speaking i miss Prydwen,was such tight knitted community atleast on Hibby side. Anyone still remembers those events GOA used to do?

... and your friendly forum admin stopped playing years ago and now dabbles in occasional FPS stuff. That said, many of those events I worked on with Kemor back in the day... that big event on Salisbury plain was loads of fun. I also had a level 75 infil who would just lurk unseen in Camelot chatting with her (also l75 infil) sister ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
DAoC before TOA and New Frontiers was something very special even with all the bugs and balance issues. After 7 years of waiting I am not sure there will ever be an MMO at that level again, nothing has managed to recapture that feeling and no DAoC wasn't my first mmo. ;)

Duvelken

Loyal Freddie
I restarted about a week ago with the 14 day free trial, made new subscription, addicted again :D

greetings

Toel

Loyal Freddie
A little here and there, really. Mainly playing SC2 for the time being, as that's pretty much the only game out there able to keep me playing for more than an hour. Other than that I'm resisting the urge for a 20th comeback or whatever.. DAoC II please. :(

kamorrista

Fledgling Freddie
lol i love that weird stuff (lvl 75 infils chatting into camelot) would have been nice an event with some NS sneaking into albion inner realm, killing people and once you could catch 'em they /release at hibernia (assasins inflitrated over the 3 realms into PVE areas would be just like pvp server somehow small event for a week, i would love to see that, even if i am the one killed at camelot's trainer :D)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
lol i love that weird stuff (lvl 75 infils chatting into camelot) would have been nice an event with some NS sneaking into albion inner realm, killing people and once you could catch 'em they /release at hibernia (assasins inflitrated over the 3 realms into PVE areas would be just like pvp server somehow small event for a week, i would love to see that, even if i am the one killed at camelot's trainer :D)

It was fun, but there were a sensible set of rules about events and the possibility of disrupting gameply for people. In basic terms we would roleplay and if someone took the bait then they would participate. I remember one time we were in one of the very early caves, name escapes me, but level 10 or so, and we roleplayed a hidden spirit.... so many people didn't get it and 'LOL'd' or gave us back chat that Kemor and us were just sighing, but then on one or two occasions people took the bait and roleplayed a whole scenario through to the end of the story.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
It was fun, but there were a sensible set of rules about events and the possibility of disrupting gameply for people.

I have to ask,was it you who was the kobold on Jordheim and tasked people to see how many kobold steps it took to cross the city? Got some nice pocket money on my alt :p

Really dont know why i remember these,bit scary that my best memories are from those live events.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have to ask,was it you who was the kobold on Jordheim and tasked people to see how many kobold steps it took to cross the city? Got some nice pocket money on my alt :p

Really dont know why i remember these,bit scary that my best memories are from those live events.

That wasn't me, no. There was a team of about half a dozen or so.... my guess at a kobold would be Brannor.

And thanks Fuzzy - it was indeed Mithra :)

Casbardh

Loyal Freddie
Hmm..left DAOC and have been playing WWIIOL on and off ever since.

Miss the roleplaying though :-(

Erivoss

Loyal Freddie
That wasn't me, no. There was a team of about half a dozen or so.... my guess at a kobold would be Brannor.

And thanks Fuzzy - it was indeed Mithra :)

Could well have been IxxI - he was always fanatical about Kobold stuff :).

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Civ4
OpenTTD
Anno1404
Legacy of Kain

Mmorpgs have lost their appeal. Always the same repetition, same l33t kids trying to be smart.

YESSSS, OpenTTD !!!

Personally I'm on WoW atm. MMORPG, but if you want you can have some kind of single player fun as well. At least at the moment it combines guild action with single player action quite well for me =)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Still currently got a WoW sub running but not logging in much. I'll play Cataclysm until I'm done with the casual content.

I refuse to organise PvE in any game. If I want to teach people to dance I'll take up frickin' ballet.

WAR was the last game where I would spend time putting the hours into the community. I've observed in the years since DAoC that PvE-focused games do not generate a nice community since they're all about getting epic pixels for keyboard heroes and it generates a very high greed factor. To date, DAoC and WAR have been the only games I've played with large worthwhile communities and Mythic/EA successfuly botched WAR which ultimately killed most of the community off.

I was on the lookout for Jumpgate Evolution but that is to all intents and purposes vapourware, I do not like Eve and won't touch the Korean style grindfests.

Still on the lookout for something epic, not got high hopes of anything in the near future. Though there are some interesting games on the horizon, I don't think they'll satisfy my community juices so will just be casual-play for me :)

Everz

FH is my second home
Football Manager these days, never touching an MMO again as they'll never live up to my expectations.

Casbardh

Loyal Freddie
To date, DAoC and WAR have been the only games I've played with large worthwhile communities

Interesting point. What was it about DAOC?

Was it like Planet earth, in that Goldilock's zone for MMORPG's, a brief flirtation with an ebbing orbit?

Have new attitudes and desires taken over (many gamers on DAOC are now maerried, have more responsibilities) which prevent people providing what is needed to acheive what happened in DAOC?

Or is it simply just the time and the place, two things that can never be captured again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom