Games Ex-DAoC Soldiers, where are they now?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
YESSSS, OpenTTD !!!

Personally I'm on WoW atm. MMORPG, but if you want you can have some kind of single player fun as well. At least at the moment it combines guild action with single player action quite well for me =)

OpenTTD with NewGRF's and PBS is just awesome. Try the old spinoff game if you want more of a challenge. It's a shame it's still the best "transport" game out there and no gaming company's ever come up with the idea to work something out similair.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
You know Tut I have no idea what you just said, other than getting the general idea you love abreviations.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Yeah sorry about that. I just hope Liloe understands it!

liloe

It's my birthday today!
OpenTTD with NewGRF's and PBS is just awesome. Try the old spinoff game if you want more of a challenge. It's a shame it's still the best "transport" game out there and no gaming company's ever come up with the idea to work something out similair.

True that it's still the best transport game out there. The only problem really is, that most of the time buses get stuck if you use too many of them and if you don't build really fast and really huge trains, then you have no chance of ever clearing every passenger at train station.
Oh and ultimately, airports are the best thing to have :(

Other than those minor things, it's really funny to build a huge transport empire ^^ … and there's a Mac client ;)

Btw, have you ever tried playing it in multiplayer mode? It's not really THE incarnation of fun, but it has its value. ^^

Well and them something else for those who like older games.

Have you ever tried The Battle for Wesnoth? Absolutely nice round based strategy game. The graphics aren't top notch, of course, but the storyline and the gameplay is definitely worth playing it.

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Til recently i played on Ywain til the french kept zerging agramon which were the only reason my guild kept playing (the 8v8). Played WAR but mythic cocked that up well and truely but now pottering around for "something to do" on Aion til Guild wars 2 gets released.

OF daoc still has me and my brother talking about the good ole days where ppl could solo, duo, 8v8 without being zerged down, even the keep takes were fun back then. Hoping GW2 will bring back the fun factor in mmorgs which we all had back in old daoc, its sounding very good atm but we'll see.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Interesting point. What was it about DAOC?

Was it like Planet earth, in that Goldilock's zone for MMORPG's, a brief flirtation with an ebbing orbit?

Have new attitudes and desires taken over (many gamers on DAOC are now maerried, have more responsibilities) which prevent people providing what is needed to acheive what happened in DAOC?

Or is it simply just the time and the place, two things that can never be captured again?

One of the things that Mythic got mostly right, whether by luck or good judgement I can't say, was that to get a good community spirit you had to find a way of involving the whole community in the larger in-game goals.

While this can cause frustration for thoese that delight in small scale stuff, it means you get a relatively cohesive community because without the cooperation they will not achieve the greater end-game goals.

WoW and its ilk, while providing some fun, only aim at self-aggrandisement, and so there's no need to drive people to cooperate on a larger scale. The keyboard heroes merrily make the various local/regional chats a hellish place of abuse and gear-related snobbery. The community withers.

Mactavish

Loyal Freddie
Kingdom of Camelot on facebook. Not a patch on daoc. Not got time anymore to play online games but I do miss my char and friends.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
One of the things that Mythic got mostly right, whether by luck or good judgement I can't say, was that to get a good community spirit you had to find a way of involving the whole community in the larger in-game goals.

While this can cause frustration for thoese that delight in small scale stuff, it means you get a relatively cohesive community because without the cooperation they will not achieve the greater end-game goals.

WoW and its ilk, while providing some fun, only aim at self-aggrandisement, and so there's no need to drive people to cooperate on a larger scale. The keyboard heroes merrily make the various local/regional chats a hellish place of abuse and gear-related snobbery. The community withers.

While the community part might be right, it definitely wasn't the right way to keep up the player base. In old DAoC, being lvl 50 was a great achievement. Then having cool SI gear was nice etc. etc. But then getting to 50 became totally easy, ToA was nerfed and nowadays you can most things with tokens that can be farmed alone with 1-3 accounts.

I only started playing WoW recently, but there is an interesting difference. First of all, while it's not particularly hard to reach max level, you're getting more attached to your character because there' always a little something more to do. An achievement, some PvP stuff,a little better gear for your characters. It's also not possible to finish 99% of the game solo, as all of the huge instances have a 10 or 25 player mode.

Yes it's often a gearfest, but let's face it: Most of the chat comes from the same people over and over again and you can just ignore them. So while people might not be THAT attached to their side, they'll be much more attached to their character.

Might also be due to the various things some classes can perform. Heal/Melee/Range are 3 aspects of the same class sometimes, while in DAoC the roles are much too strict. If you want something totally new in DAoC, a new spec won't cut it most of the time, even thought some things ARE stupid. What is the difference between a mercenary and an armsman? Slightly different weaponry, DT on one, plate on the other. In my opinion that's a perfect example of how classes are more or less redundant. Also the world in DAoC is pretty static. You have a few factions, but they don't really play a big role. Curmudgeon or Siabra? These or those Sheeries? Who cares. I even bet that 90% of the population don't know in which relation the SI factions stand to each other. The only faction you kinda need - at the moment - is your local dragon faction. In other words: All the rest is merely a question of wether some grey con mob will be friendly or aggressive to you. There are no quests, no special items … nothing.

Sure the PvP part of DAoC is unique and really good, but Mythic has never really improved the game or made the content more variable, which is sad indeed :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom