Games Everquest Next

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah...you can.

It looks really terrible, the spell effects look dated, the animation looks dated. They have shown absolutely nothing in that demo apart from a badly animated, badly designed character hitting a badly animated, badly designed mob with a cheerleader for backup.

For a game that has been in development for a couple of years that is set to redesign the free to play market they need to come up with something a little better.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yeah...you can.

It looks really terrible, the spell effects look dated, the animation looks dated. They have shown absolutely nothing in that demo apart from a badly animated, badly designed character hitting a badly animated, badly designed mob with a cheerleader for backup.

For a game that has been in development for a couple of years that is set to redesign the free to play market they need to come up with something a little better.

Not sure we're talking about the same game here then, you must have been watching some other mmo :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Had to funny that because about 5 minutes after the videos finished me and Mabs went to each other on Steam "Money bets Raven faults something?" "Yup, always does"

Raven being very negative on a game what a shocker lol.

His favourite game so far has been Tomb Raider this year LOL about the only game I've seen him enjoy oh Defiance too hahaha

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's ok, you boys keep getting wet over yet another mediocre MMO, try not to power game through it in the first 2 days and end up disappointed though :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
it really doesnt look terrible, not least cos its alpha and not optimised. it does look quite scalable however
a lot of it could be a bit "gimicky" but if it works, it works
the rallycall thing looks especially interesting

end of the day, depends how much makes it into launch as described, so will have to wait and see, but anyone who saw that and thought it was shit is clearly a hater :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
It's ok, you boys keep getting wet over yet another mediocre MMO, try not to power game through it in the first 2 days and end up disappointed though :)

You bought Defiance.

Haha

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
it really doesnt look terrible, not least cos its alpha and not optimised. it does look quite scalable however
a lot of it could be a bit "gimicky" but if it works, it works
the rallycall thing looks especially interesting

end of the day, depends how much makes it into launch as described, so will have to wait and see, but anyone who saw that and thought it was shit is clearly a hater :D

People also forget it's coming to PS4 and the world is entirely destructible/can build loads of stuff/forever changing, there isn't a single MMO to date out there that can boast the same.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So basically

- No Dedicated tanks, no threat meters, no taunts you simply cannot be a tank (You can be more defensive than normal but not a tank in the classical sense)
- No Dedicated healers (You can heal and heal people if you desire but there is no set in stone dedicated healing class)
- You can hybrid many abilities to create unique combinations
- You get 4 weapon skill slots and 4 ability slots for your skills, the weapon skill slots cannot be modified but will change depending on what weapon type you equip, the ability slots you can use any 4 abilities from any class you have unlocked and leveled.

Sounds strange but no one has really done it before so I can't really say if it'll work or not, will be interesting to see how it goes.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Didn't guild wars try the no healer thing?

Mabs

no GW2 tried the no HEALING thing, difference ;)

anyone can heal = workable
no1 can heal cos LOL ITS GW2, and HERES YOUR DUNGEON REPAIR BILL = not so much

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
This is the last I will say in here because it seems that if you don't like the look of something then you are evil.

None of you will play it for longer than a month, one or two of you will spend 20 hours a day playing it for a week before moaning its got no content. It will be plagued by problems relating to the free to play/cash shop model. It will have crazy class balance problems due to all the beta testers treating the beta as early access. Most of the problems will be fixed after 6 months to a year but by then it wont matter.

The MMO genre is dying on its arse because people expect too much then get all indignant when they don't get it.

Mabs

This is the last I will say in here because it seems that if you don't like the look of something then you are evil.

None of you will play it for longer than a month, one or two of you will spend 20 hours a day playing it for a week before moaning its got no content. It will be plagued by problems relating to the free to play/cash shop model. It will have crazy class balance problems due to all the beta testers treating the beta as early access. Most of the problems will be fixed after 6 months to a year but by then it wont matter.

The MMO genre is dying on its arse because people expect too much then get all indignant when they don't get it.

quick ! make sweeping generalisations!

not everyone has the attention span of a goldfish :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Ok, 3 recent MMOs that you played longer than a year in the last 5 years. Go.

And by that I mean, logged in once a week.

Mabs

Ok, 3 recent MMOs that you played longer than a year in the last 5 years. Go.

And by that I mean, logged in once a week.

DAoC, RIFT, SWTOR, EQ2

/edit
and WoW ofc, for my sins :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
3 of those five are old generation MMOS, 10 years old ish.

DAOC 2002?
EQ2 2004
WoW 2004

I mean recent MMOs, I can't think of a single one that sustained a player base of any note. Most have serious problems at launch because they aren't actually ready for launch. Publishers want WoW size subscribers and they want them now. Beta testers are not vetted so any old mong can do it, regardless of whether they want to actually test. And by test I mean fill in the correct bug reports rather than whining on forums.

Mabs

possibly, but then thats the decay of the PC community imo

but then kickstarter is the way forward, both Cam unchained and Pathfinder should play to their audience more

Aada

Part of the furniture

DAOC 2002?
EQ2 2004
WoW 2004

I mean recent MMOs, I can't think of a single one that sustained a player base of any note. Most have serious problems at launch because they aren't actually ready for launch. Publishers want WoW size subscribers and they want them now. Beta testers are not vetted so any old mong can do it, regardless of whether they want to actually test. And by test I mean fill in the correct bug reports rather than whining on forums.

You have a point, a depressing point as usual but a valid one none the less.

I'm not really excited for MMO's anymore I'll play them but I don't go hanging around mmorpg.com anymore because as you say the genre is a dying POS with aging mechanics.

UO/DAOC/WOW have been the only MMO's that have held my interest for longer than a year the rest have been uninstalled-account cancelled within the 30 day trial.

SOE do not have a good track record so I'm not expecting much from them on EQN their ideas sound great but how they implement them is another thing and also it will have a cash shop so that for me is an instant downer. Also SOE like to rush out their product Planetside 2 is a perfect example of that.

At the moment I'm playing Guild Wars 2 it is probably the best MMO since WoW it has problems but it's decent.

Last edited:

Mabs

SOE do not have a good track record

except with EQ franchise which has always been top of its class
they are outstanding PVE games, eclipsing everything else

Aada

Part of the furniture
except with EQ franchise which has always been top of its class
they are outstanding PVE games, eclipsing everything else

EQ2 didn't have a great time at the start though and as I said they rush their games out and we all know what happens these days when that happens, people drop it like a huge dump before the free month is up.

Still fingers crossed as it does look good.

Mabs

eq2 when it launched was very stable and content heavy, which bit of release are you referring to ?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

DAOC 2002?
EQ2 2004
WoW 2004

Most have problems at launch because they copy other mmos/come up with almost no ideas for themselves so people just go "Oh, seen this before /quit" or "This sucks just like that other game I tried /quit" or are just blatant cash grabs with microtransactions / very slow paced grinds.

Tilda

I read a PC Gamer review of what they plan on doing with the destructable environment, tbh that sounds pretty exciting. Along with the Minecraft-esq construction game for release beforehand all sounds pretty exciting!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
cad-20130805-b445c.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom