Games Everquest Next

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I didn't say it was pay 2 win, I was talking in general.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
From early interviews its going to be "something innovative"

...So probably

rynnor

Rockhound
That's a shame - it had a good pedigree. I liked EQ2 when it first came out though it was pretty tough and had some quite punitive mechanisms like negative xp for all in the group if a groupmember dies which made people rather reluctant to group :)

It also had hell's own crafting system - creating tons of sub components before you could actually craft anything - mmm :)

The problem with PVE MMOs like EQ and Wow is that no-one has found a way to add extra levels without trivialising old content/rendering old items largely worthless - I don't mind hitting endgame once but continuously moving the endgame gets old.

rynnor

Rockhound
BloodOmen said:
Let's not forget WoW basically ripped most of its ideas from Everquest I :p

Not much really - eq1 was extremely anti casual and harsh - wow sits at the other end of the spectrum - that was their genius.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I dunno. When I played EQ1 I was very casual and still really enjoyed it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
He has a massive hard-on for EVE Online. Alot of the recent stuff like Kronos is modelled after EVE's PLEX

Dreading what they will do to EQ Next if he has a raging woody for Eve (not that Eve is bad.. I just think they'd try to nick ideas from Eve and fail to implement them in an EQ fashion) :l I'll try it regardless tho just to say that I have tho I'm not holding my breath.

Watching SOE live on twitch atm

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Nice, they're getting Jeremy Soule (guy who did music for games like Company of Heroes, Skyrim, Guild Wars, Neverwinter Nights) to do Everquest Next music.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Rough unfinished sample of EQ Next music - now I know its just music but christ it sounds good for an unfinished piece.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
When will people get tired of WoW? I can't imagine the pve keeps being fun? I've heard from so many daoc players that the end pvp game is horrible and not worth your time. Is the pve really that much fun that you'd stick to doing the same raids over and over again?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
When will people get tired of WoW? I can't imagine the pve keeps being fun? I've heard from so many daoc players that the end pvp game is horrible and not worth your time. Is the pve really that much fun that you'd stick to doing the same raids over and over again?

Tell that to Everquest 1 who has lived on PVE for 14 years + 18+ expansions :p

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
19 expansions. The expansion they announced last night was the 20th in line. That is damn impressive

They took a picture of the EQ1 team. That team is larger than for example what Funcom has for TSW+AOC. Their franchises seem very healthy and they still make content updates, in addition to yearly expansions. How much new content got added to DAoC in the last *6 years*? Except from seasonal events and a few area revamps, not that much

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
19 expansions. The expansion they announced last night was the 20th in line. That is damn impressive

They took a picture of the EQ1 team. That team is larger than for example what Funcom has for TSW+AOC. Their franchises seem very healthy and they still make content updates, in addition to yearly expansions. How much new content got added to DAoC in the last *6 years*? Except from seasonal events and a few area revamps, not that much

What time today GMT does the EQ Next thing start? I know they said 12 noon EST(I think they said EST anyway)

Aada

Part of the furniture

Clearly not for a long time.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
My dick is hard, that's all I can say... lol, this is fucking epic.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I have to say it all sounded great but still after all these years and all of the SOE fuck ups it's hard to get too excited.

Fingers crossed.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
From those vids.

Some drawing boards needs re-visiting.

Basic.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
From those vids.

Some drawing boards needs re-visiting.

Basic.

Had to funny that because about 5 minutes after the videos finished me and Mabs went to each other on Steam "Money bets Raven faults something?" "Yup, always does"

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Can't blame me for faulting shit...when it looks so shit.

Big tiger with sound effects! Rawwr and stuff. Rawwwr at your content...Raaaawwrrr with sparkles...rawwrz

But seriously, are they trying to compete with 5 year old MMOs or something, or am I missing the point?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Can't blame me for faulting shit...when it looks so shit.

Big tiger with sound effects! Rawwr and stuff. Rawwwr at your content...Raaaawwrrr with sparkles...rawwrz

But seriously, are they trying to compete with 5 year old MMOs or something, or am I missing the point?

I can't think of a single MMO released 5 years or less ago that looks like that? or even close to that? maybe TERA but even that is far behind. The fact they're focussing on cartoony graphics is because A) they want it to appeal to a wider audience (teens etc) and B) the cartoony facial expressions will work amazingly with SOEmote. I can't really fault what they've shown given its pre-beta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom