This one time, at band camp.

=that guy.

Aada

Part of the furniture
F2P = a no play old school mmo gamers.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Casual gaming happened.

Pretty much, WoW brought in players that would have never picked up an MMO box in the shop let alone Google it and well the market wants to cater for them.

Add to the fact WoW has an absolute bucket load of content any new MMO released has to go up against that and when people have reamed the content in 2 months they run off back to WoW.

10 years of content no new MMO can compete with that, ever MMO that has come out since then the one major thing that people leave the game for is content.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
clearly missing the point that EQ 1 and 2 were both hardcore PVE games, WoW is still very much Fisher Price "my first MMO"

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
WoW is still very much Fisher Price "my first MMO"

Irrelevant, it has sustained a ~10+ million sub count for years and most other MMO devs wants a piece of that success. So they try to make something similarly casual.....

Mabs

Irrelevant, it has sustained a ~10+ million sub count for years and most other MMO devs wants a piece of that success. So they try to make something similarly casual.....

not really, my point is it caters to different people

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Most other Devs go the wrong route toward that success and thats why 90% of MMO's fail horribly :p look at what WoW had to start with

Warcraft I
Warcraft II
Warcraft III
Books to go with that/Lore
Borrowed ideas from Everquest (by Chris Metzen's own admission WoW wouldn't exist were it not for Everquest)
World of Warcraft - simple design, it was made to cater to the masses

Most game Devs do the following

Make game
Copy WoW + try to incorporate Asian grind into western MMO's for longer life (ironic)
Expect instant success
Fails

I'm not even a Dev and even I bet I could make an MMO that doesn't flop, it wouldn't be on a WoW success/revenue level.. nowhere near it infact but it wouldn't flop after 1-3 months.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Most other Devs go the wrong route toward that success and thats why 90% of MMO's fail horribly :p look at what WoW had to start with

Warcraft I
Warcraft II
Warcraft III
Books to go with that/Lore
Borrowed ideas from Everquest (by Chris Metzen's own admission WoW wouldn't exist were it not for Everquest)
World of Warcraft - simple design, it was made to cater to the masses

Most game Devs do the following

Make game
Copy WoW + try to incorporate Asian grind into western MMO's for longer life (ironic)
Expect instant success
Fails

I'm not even a Dev and even I bet I could make an MMO that doesn't flop, it wouldn't be on a WoW success/revenue level.. nowhere near it infact but it wouldn't flop after 1-3 months.

Don't forget the reams and reams of content WoW has, any new MMO has to compete with an established polished MMO with 10 years of content.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Most of that content is pointless though, you level to 90 in a couple of weeks, if you didn't see it though the first time then you will likely miss out on it properly on the way to 90. What it gets right is enough top level content to keep people happy with regular mini expansions, every couple of months. WoW has plenty of faults, the crafting is crap, the PvP is dire and despite having however many million players the social side is terrible, just smack talking ADHD kids on the whole, pugs are to be avoided. The guild PvE is what it has going for it.

The absolute worst an MMO can do is copy WoW, what's the point? They already have it nailed. Any new MMO needs to find it's own niche, be it decent PvP or a good quality social system, whatever. Nobody wants WoW in space and people certainly don't want WoW but ever so slightly different.

Eve ticks along nicely because it has focused on what it does best and not tried to copy others.

Without knowing anything at all about the new EQ it's hard to say but it has two major flaws already, free to play and the fact its SOE.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Most of that content is pointless though, you level to 90 in a couple of weeks, if you didn't see it though the first time then you will likely miss out on it properly on the way to 90. What it gets right is enough top level content to keep people happy with regular mini expansions, every couple of months. WoW has plenty of faults, the crafting is crap, the PvP is dire and despite having however many million players the social side is terrible, just smack talking ADHD kids on the whole, pugs are to be avoided. The guild PvE is what it has going for it.

The absolute worst an MMO can do is copy WoW, what's the point? They already have it nailed. Any new MMO needs to find it's own niche, be it decent PvP or a good quality social system, whatever. Nobody wants WoW in space and people certainly don't want WoW but ever so slightly different.

Eve ticks along nicely because it has focused on what it does best and not tried to copy others.

Without knowing anything at all about the new EQ it's hard to say but it has two major flaws already, free to play and the fact its SOE.

Most of it is not pointless and you don't level to 90 in a couple of weeks unless you play all day every day and remember the hardcore player isn't their target audience it's the casual player who takes months to level up that first 90 character.

The people who ream the content in a week are a small playerbase within WoW.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They have made the exp gain crazy up to 85 now, it really is too fast to enjoy any content, you also get exp for everything, mining, herbing, pet battles, farting. Do a dungeon? That's an entire level ticked off...do it twice and you have levelled past it. 85-90 is still ok obviously but the game is balanced for 85-90 content, Blizzard want people to get there asap.

It's fine for alting but a bit shit for someone new I imagine.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

EvE does well because it literally have nothing to compete with that i know of.

Hell the only game i can think of that even comes close is a single player only game. :)

If i had the money i'd take you up on that just to see you eat your own words. :)

Aada

Part of the furniture

Heh would be interesting, id place my bets on it flopping.

Would be interesting to see how you cope with pleasing the hardcore players and the players that will bring you money also known as the casuals.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
There are? :)

HTTP Status 500 - org/apache/commons/lang3/CharSequenceUtils

ava.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/lang3/CharSequenceUtils org.apache.commons.lang3.StringUtils.equalsIgnoreCase(StringUtils.java:810) com.soe.plat2.common.locale.LocaleResolver.resolveLocale(LocaleResolver.java:99) com.soe.plat2.web.listeners.SOERequestContextListener.requestInitialized(SOERequestContextListener.java:46) org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99) org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:936) org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407) org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor.process(AjpProcessor.java:200) org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589) org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Himse

FH is my second home
They have made the exp gain crazy up to 85 now, it really is too fast to enjoy any content, you also get exp for everything, mining, herbing, pet battles, farting. Do a dungeon? That's an entire level ticked off...do it twice and you have levelled past it. 85-90 is still ok obviously but the game is balanced for 85-90 content, Blizzard want people to get there asap.

It's fine for alting but a bit shit for someone new I imagine.

The EXP rate is 'ok' but then you step into the path of heirlooms and the RAF bonus, RAF bonus included I got my druid to 80 in around 2 days of casual play. 300% is insane.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It is but from what I remember it won't be the normal F2P model. Will be keeping an eye on it but can't say I am bothered either way. SOE are kind of crap at MMOs these days anyway.

Mabs

OGM
FREE THINGS
TAKE THEM AWAY!

seriously, what is the fucking hang-up with F2P ?
im sure it will have the optional payment system and/or cash shop like EQ2 has

really looking forward to it, should be good, the EQ team does PVE STUFFS(tm) really well
not bothered for PvP in it, as CU etc are around the corner so its a non issue for me

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Free to play is fine
Pay to win is not

Although I just don't see F2P games lasting all that long, surely they can't make enough money from vanity crap to maintain the servers, employ staff and develop additional content?

Mabs

Free to play is fine
Pay to win is not

Although I just don't see F2P games lasting all that long, surely they can't make enough money from vanity crap to maintain the servers, employ staff and develop additional content?

EQ 2 was never pay to win particularly, dont see the problem

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Indeed EQ has never been pay to win, the only thing that could even be considered as pay to win is the Kronos you buy for RL cash and can sell for plat ingame but you cannot buy raid gear with plat so its not pay2win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom