England Vs Portugal

Anarawan

Fledgling Freddie
whohooooo awesome videos... 90% of footage in premiere championship (wonder why)

Football, Football, Football is going home EARLYER!!!!!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Anarawan said:
whohooooo awesome videos... 90% of footage in premiere championship (wonder why)

er no it's not. obviously you dont know your football strips

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
What pisses me off is that we pay these ppl 6 figure salaries a week and they can't even take a penalty

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Well, was in a field all weekend (though had a little b+w tv and R5 commentary there), so didn't comment before.

Shame they are out, but as we only built decent chances when we played with 2 strikers, it was always going to happen, barring miracles (like Beckhams' free kick on the previous round).

I always said England would only win though if they kept their cool, seen too many moments of frustration leading to sendings off. Though this one could be argued, had Rooney been a bit cooler it wouldn't have happened.

Biggest shame for me about this world cup, though, is the complete failure of Refs to do what FIFA claimed to ask for - to penalise diving. Seen a lot of Refs wave play on after obvious dives, rather than booking the player. Sorry, but a card a way to penalise diving, just not giving a foul against them isn't. I don't personally agree that footballers would carry on diving til it was 7 vs 8 on the pitch if they were penalised. I reckon they aren't quite that stupid!

I'm not going to claim England were robbed. Sure, they might have been given a penalty, and the sending off might have been harsh, but if you can't put people in the box, you don't deserve to win.

Darzil

Marc

FH is my second home
Lamp said:
What pisses me off is that we pay these ppl 6 figure salaries a week and they can't even take a penalty

Agreed. If you hit a penalty right there is no way the keeper should save it, even if he guesses right. Look at Giuseppe Signori for lazio and italy. Never missed a penalty and he didnt even take a run up. One step and BANG, right in the top corner everytime.

I wish man utd was not a PLC and therefore Fergie could do the right thing. Tell Ronaldo he is contracted until 2010 and is not going anywhere. Cant wait for Liverpool v Man u or chelsea v man u. But I have a feeling Ronaldo will be a real madrid player in the comming months. I cant believe people are defending Ronaldo in this thread. He isnt a man for what he did. The ref wasnt even going to give a yellow for the "stamp". Maybe its time for the English to start cheating when it comes to these big international games as its the only way we are going to compete against these foreign pansies.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
im extremly anoyed by the english press tbh. I know they always have to blame someone but trying to put the whole responsibility on Sven is just so childish and ridiculous so it makes my eyes bleed. I mean first of all how often have england gone to finals since 66?? Just expecting every fecking time to win and all beneeth that is someones failure?? wtf....its apparently always someones fault but the teams fault. And its never that the oposition is better either...makes me laugh tbh. Svennis have been sucsessfull in almost everything else he have touched before the england team and is now wanted by real madrid. really hoping he do well with them also so england will realise they arent the nr 1 team in the world^^.I think the biggest fuckup in the english football history is the press, they are the ones that put all that pressure on the team and in the end make them loose penalties etc. if they went in to the world cup witha bit more modesty and less pressure on the players they would also perform better...but that doesnt seem to be the way of those feckin vultures..
Anyhow i think they deserved to win at least that game over portugal.and i think they DID have a chance to come to finals this year. If as many had said rooney had kept his cool and the penalties had been better who knows what had happened..
eb.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Agreed. If you hit a penalty right there is no way the keeper should save it, even if he guesses right. Look at Giuseppe Signori for lazio and italy. Never missed a penalty and he didnt even take a run up. One step and BANG, right in the top corner everytime.

I wish man utd was not a PLC and therefore Fergie could do the right thing. Tell Ronaldo he is contracted until 2010 and is not going anywhere. Cant wait for Liverpool v Man u or chelsea v man u. But I have a feeling Ronaldo will be a real madrid player in the comming months. I cant believe people are defending Ronaldo in this thread. He isnt a man for what he did. The ref wasnt even going to give a yellow for the "stamp". Maybe its time for the English to start cheating when it comes to these big international games as its the only way we are going to compete against these foreign pansies.

Its all about athelete psychology. read it alot when i studied a few years back. And when the pressure is high something so simple as puting the ball in the net in that goal( which is very simple if you are calm and put it right) is suddenly a major thing. The goal behind shrinks mentally and you are thinking about the chance of missing. Sad...but all the pressures fault:(

Marc

FH is my second home
ebenezer said:
im extremly anoyed by the english press tbh. I know they always have to blame someone but trying to put the whole responsibility on Sven is just so childish and ridiculous so it makes my eyes bleed. I mean first of all how often have england gone to finals since 66?? Just expecting every fecking time to win and all beneeth that is someones failure?? wtf....its apparently always someones fault but the teams fault. And its never that the oposition is better either...makes me laugh tbh. Svennis have been sucsessfull in almost everything else he have touched before the england team and is now wanted by real madrid. really hoping he do well with them also so england will realise they arent the nr 1 team in the world^^.I think the biggest fuckup in the english football history is the press, they are the ones that put all that pressure on the team and in the end make them loose penalties etc. if they went in to the world cup witha bit more modesty and less pressure on the players they would also perform better...but that doesnt seem to be the way of those feckin vultures..
Anyhow i think they deserved to win at least that game over portugal.and i think they DID have a chance to come to finals this year. If as many had said rooney had kept his cool and the penalties had been better who knows what had happened..
eb.

of course it svens fault.

He took 4 strikers. Lets look at the strikers.

Owen (not match fit)
Rooney (not played for nearly 2 months)
Crouch (hardly international standard and Sven obviously wasnt even a fan)
Walcott (whats the point of taking a striker and not playing him)

He totally ignored players like Defoe, Bent, Beattie

Now tactics. What...the...fuck?????? Quarter finals..lets play 4-5-1 with a lone striker who doesnt even play that role for his club team!!!! Rooney has always played deep for his club, running off the target man wether it be Ruud or Big Dunc. Look at the players england have. They are flair players. They arent like the italians who always play negative. We should of attacked from the start. Fucking long ball?? This isnt the coca cola championship, its the world cup. We played our best football when the ball was played to feet..fact. Good riddance Sven, £25 million of our money you took. He well and truly saw the FA comming.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:

Owen (not match fit)

Now tactics. What...the...fuck?????? Quarter finals..lets play 4-5-1 with a lone striker who doesnt even play that role for his club team!!!! Rooney has always played deep for his club, running off the target man wether it be Ruud or Big Dunc. Look at the players england have. They are flair players. They arent like the italians who always play negative. We should of attacked from the start. Fucking long ball?? This isnt the coca cola championship, its the world cup. We played our best football when the ball was played to feet..fact. Good riddance Sven, £25 million of our money you took. He well and truly saw the FA comming.

You came as far as to the quarters with svens help...look how the other "big teams" did in the group play etc..you won the group and you guys still complain though you had one of the best( even though you did play a bit safe but boring) walthroughs any team had in the group stages. You gotta realise england isnt brasil ist time to face that fact:p Sven knows his stuff...he took lazio to victory..benfica etc etc and he knows his way of coaching. Whatever you and england might think abou it you got as far as you could and in this perticular game it wasnt svens fault...is english press and people werent pressuring the players they would have been able to put the penatlites in:p

And why the heck hire the guy , england know which type of coaching he have. Also i know he is extremly tired of english press and football right now so he is quite happy to go real madrid or someone else:p
imo...

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:

Owen (not match fit)

Also what rooney does for his club team is a completely differnt thing marc. im from sweden and i know how we whine and holler at our coach for setting Fredrik Ljungberg in the position he have in the national team. everyone in front of the soffa screams he should play like he do in arsenal etc etc. Point is you play with a bit of a different team then in ur club . You are surounded by a completely differnt suqad and cant expect to play the same with people not being able to deliver or perfoprm the same way as in a high profile club thats put together with players from the whole world...its a big difference.
Look at premiere leugue and tell me how many of the english players are actually the stars there? same with any major league. When those guys later come to wc they dont perform as well as they do in the club...and to me thats not so strange.
eb.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Sven didnt play 4-5-1 with Lazio

My point was he knows what he is doing hehe...ofc he have to change all the time and do whats good for the team he have atm...he cant play england in same way cause its not the same players:p

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Playing 4-4-2 in this championship, England made good chances that they missed through poor finishing.

Playing 4-5-1 in this championship, England didn't make good chances.

I say blame the players <rolls eyes>

Oh, and haven't read the British press comment, so this is all mine.

Darzil

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
im living in uk atm so i heard how the story goes here. My boss compared the swedish team and said we didnt have half as many good players as england etc etc. And i answered him that just because they dont play in premiere league it doesnt mean that they cant be good lol. Also sweden always played very well together and have a much stronger morale. Even though we have weaker players on paper they usually do quite well for such a small country( think we ranked 16). I did really think england chances were good this year...but i think they just played badly as a team and had too much pressure on them.

Marc

FH is my second home
Darzil said:
Playing 4-4-2 in this championship, England made good chances that they missed through poor finishing.

Playing 4-5-1 in this championship, England didn't make good chances.

I say blame the players <rolls eyes>

Oh, and haven't read the British press comment, so this is all mine.

Darzil

Exactly the point I made Darzil, thanks! Eb chose to ignore this.

Marc

FH is my second home
ebenezer said:
Also what rooney does for his club team is a completely differnt thing marc. im from sweden and i know how we whine and holler at our coach for setting Fredrik Ljungberg in the position he have in the national team. everyone in front of the soffa screams he should play like he do in arsenal etc etc. Point is you play with a bit of a different team then in ur club . You are surounded by a completely differnt suqad and cant expect to play the same with people not being able to deliver or perfoprm the same way as in a high profile club thats put together with players from the whole world...its a big difference.
Look at premiere leugue and tell me how many of the english players are actually the stars there? same with any major league. When those guys later come to wc they dont perform as well as they do in the club...and to me thats not so strange.
eb.

Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry, Joe Cole (to an extent), Ashley Cole are all "stars".

EB, your argument is totally flawed. If Rooney has never played as a sole striker, you cant expect him to go do it in the biggest tournament can you?? Its just not possible. The blame lies with Sven. His tactics, for want of a better word, were garbage.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry, Joe Cole (to an extent), Ashley Cole are all "stars".

EB, your argument is totally flawed. If Rooney has never played as a sole striker, you cant expect him to go do it in the biggest tournament can you?? Its just not possible. The blame lies with Sven. His tactics, for want of a better word, were garbage.

nah its not flawed...same thing happened with ljungberg. he is changed to a totally new position and he doesnt score as much as he do in arsenal..but the coaches( that actually train with him and see what he goes for..in comparison to us soffa whiners) had seen other potential in him that would fit better for the team...so he creates a lot of stress for the other team and do quite well in hsi "new" position. What you gotta realise is that sven trains with him every day marc lol...he makes a decision based on a lot of coach experience that neither you me or anyone else have, and like 100 other factors that plays in as well( other team..set ups etc etc you name it). Im confident he knows what he is doing.

i think england is just looking for a scapegoat:p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm not going to analyse what happened in detail. What happened hapenned. Portugal won, we lost, yes its disappointing, but one side has to win and the other has to lose. Thats football.

But...

(1) I have my personal doubts about the professionalism and decision-making ethics of the ARGENTINE referee.

(2) I am disgusted at the appalling sportsmanship of certain Portugal players diving, faking injuries, and generally acting like a bunch of pussies.

(3) Roonie shouldn't have stamped on the guy's bollocks. Its unprofessional.

(4) Contrary to my expectations, Hargreaves played brilliantly.

(5) England played better football than Portugal over 120 minutes.

(6) We need to make penalties an integral part of the training, and get some coaching on taking them under pressure from a psychologist or even some German players on keeping cool.

Overall I'm very disappointed. Feel very sorry for Beckham and Sven. But its our own fault. If we knew how to score penalties we'd be in the semis.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I think the most unfortunate thing for me is that I didn't get to see England play with the individual performances of the last two matches, using the tactics of the first three matches.

Darzil

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
I'm not going to analyse what happened in detail. What happened hapenned. Portugal won, we lost, yes its disappointing, but one side has to win and the other has to lose. Thats football.

But...

(1) I have my personal doubts about the professionalism and decision-making ethics of the ARGENTINE referee.

(2) I am disgusted at the appalling sportsmanship of certain Portugal players diving, faking injuries, and generally acting like a bunch of pussies.

(3) Roonie shouldn't have stamped on the guy's bollocks. Its unprofessional.

(4) Contrary to my expectations, Hargreaves played brilliantly.

(5) England played better football than Portugal over 120 minutes.

(6) We need to make penalties an integral part of the training, and get some coaching on taking them under pressure from a psychologist or even some German players on keeping cool.

Overall I'm very disappointed. Feel very sorry for Beckham and Sven. But its our own fault. If we knew how to score penalties we'd be in the semis.

all true:)

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
I think the most unfortunate thing for me is that I didn't get to see England play with the individual performances of the last two matches, using the tactics of the first three matches.

Darzil

i think( and im not a coach so just guessing) That sven was afraid of attack skilled portugal/equador team and wanted a safer approach. And you dont know how it would have gone with another setup...we are all judging after what happened. maybe equador might have gone through easier etc...you never know. But apparently sven thought that the safer approach was the better one..and you beat equador after all....so i guess it worked. Myabe it would have worked fine if rooney hadnt been sent off also....as heargreaves( sp) were playing and also lennon in end it looked as you had 2 good forwards coming in to the box all the time even without rooney:p

Maybe and maybe.

Marc

FH is my second home
Watch the video. The ref gives a free kick and thats it! He just stands over the player with his arm out. He wanst even going to brandish a card until that r****t ronaldo got involved. I wouldnt mind but we should have had a free kick! If it was any other european player, he would of gone down but Rooney is english and just wants to get on with it rather than fall down like hes been shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjCneugi52s&search=Wayne Rooney sent off

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom