Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Struggling to see that he did much wrong tbh.

I don't think journos should have to be completely honest when pursuing a story. If they did then the unscrupulous and the criminal will easily avoid all expose journalism. Eyes won't be able to pry.

Tgis is about even more neutering of journalism. Both parties are at it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Anything with a pulse from the sounds of it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I just don't understand how it will improve trade.

'Yeah no mate that deal is pretty shit you pommy cunts!'

'We have a yacht outside'

'Oh bloody hell why didn't you say so!?'

The only way I see King William travelling around in 15 years is hydrogen powered planes/choppas

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We will have to pay for it tho, then Kate can complain about how hard it is.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I was watching Politics Live when the rumour of this ship initially appeared, there was a broad spectrum of different parties, people, etc. on who all said it could work if it had more of a multi purpose role whether that be showing off new technology, aid, etc. As a typical government project there will undoubtedly be cost overruns, it won't work properly, it won't fulfil its needs, etc. thus I'm not a fan.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There will be mates with envelopes stuffed full of fresh 50s, that's what there will be.

Gwadien

Schools be pissed because they wanted the £££ instead it's going towards tutoring which obviously benefits those that don't really need it.

The money needs to be in the classrooms so post pandemic we can move away from teaching from booklets and do some fun shiz :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
At best, unhelpful.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Culture War nonsense.

Racism in English Cricket is a massive deal at the moment. I notice he hasn't had anything to say about the claims of rampant and institutional racism at Yorkshire CCC brought by Azeem Rafiq, and corroborated by many others. The same county that Robinson was employed by at the time he made these tweets by the way.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Culture War nonsense.

Racism in English Cricket is a massive deal at the moment. I notice he hasn't had anything to say about the claims of rampant and institutional racism at Yorkshire CCC brought by Azeem Rafiq, and corroborated by many others. The same county that Robinson was employed by at the time he made these tweets by the way.
Racism has gone well in the focus groups they've done in key constituencies.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Sharing a few jokes on Twitter as a teenager does not make him a racist.

Trawling through people's distant past for crumbs is a thing in the twatterverse these days though.

Christ, go back through some v old posts on here and I am sure you can dig shit up that people said in the distant past.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
...for example...

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Sharing a few jokes on Twitter as a teenager does not make him a racist.

Trawling through people's distant past for crumbs is a thing in the twatterverse these days though.

Multiple things here:

There seems to be a misconception amongst the gammon that Robinson has been "cancelled". This is not true, he has been suspended whilst an investigation takes place as per ECB protocol. I believe the investigation is looking into whether he had a professional contract at the time, and if he did, did he breach it.

There is also this constant rhetoric that it was OK because he was 18. It's not. Anyone is free to say stupid shit on the internet, but have to realise that there could be consequences. At 18 you are old enough to know what is right and what is wrong - whether you chose to act on that is the sign of maturity. You are right Raven, in the sense we've probably all written stuff we either regret, or would not say now, but to say that 10 years are things were different and it was OK (I know you're not saying this, but plenty of others are), is completely disingenuous.

The ECB have also backed themselves into a corner here some what. They have introduced a zero tolerance policy on racism as a result of it (allegedly) being so widespread through English cricket (which is obviously the real issue here).

Some reading if you are interested:

Michael Carberry: 'Black people are not important to the structure of English cricket'

If the ECB are seen to do nothing about this situation, how does that sit given the context. Add into it that before the game the team were all wearing anti racism t-shirts etc. What does that look like if there is a player in the team who has these racist tweets to his name (no matter how long ago they were).

There also seems to be some weird conception that Robinson won't play for England again. Realistically what happens is that he receives a back dated 1 or 2 match ban, and is back in the team for the India series.

As for "trawling through old tweets" - it takes two seconds to do a search on a few key words. I'm sure programs exist to do it. Just delete your tweets, or even better, delete your account, because is social media really worth the risk?

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't really keep up with cricket so OK.

But either way, this sort of thing does become a witch hunt, and it's not like it's a new thing. Then you get the people that just like to be outraged, all the time, jumping on.

Gwadien

But either way, this sort of thing does become a witch hunt, and it's not like it's a new thing. Then you get the people that just like to be outraged, all the time, jumping on.

I think people are more outraged that an organisation is going through its standard procedure when investigating stuff.

Also this was 2012 not 1970.

I'd love to see BoJo weigh in on Football shit, although we all know he won't because Rashford will just demolish him with a 3 word tweet.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

It has become a witch hunt already. I think my point is basically that it's more nuanced than "PC GONE MAD", "CANCEL CULTURE" blah blah blah that people keep spouting.

I don't see this ending particularly well, but I do understand why the ECB have done what they've done.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I just think this sort of things get blown out of all proportion. "Kid says stupid shit on internet" who actually cares?

I didn't realise there was contract stuff that they were looking into as I'm not that bothered, but point stands.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I just think this sort of things get blown out of all proportion. "Kid says stupid shit on internet" who actually cares?

I didn't realise there was contract stuff that they were looking into as I'm not that bothered, but point stands.
Yep. That's the big thing. I don't think most people do care, or think it's a big deal, but there is an internal process they need to follow, and that's all that is happening, rather than he's been cancelled by the woke brigade.

As I said, I dont expect much more than a slap on the wrist level punishment of a couple of game ban.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Also this was 2012 not 1970.
So if you're 23 you're getting bummed for shit you did when you were 14, for example.

Brains don't really stop developing until the mid 20's really.

Gwadien

So if you're 23 you're getting bummed for shit you did when you were 14, for example.

Brains don't really stop developing until the mid 20's really.

He was 18 and professionally playing cricket at the time?

The main point I was making was that you can't use the 'they were different times' defence.

You can't have an international campaign at ending racism in sports for the country that is (self-declared) the best in the world at combatting racism to decide to ignore some of it.q

A line clearly needs to be drawn but the debate is where?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He was 18 and professionally playing cricket at the time?

The main point I was making was that you can't use the 'they were different times' defence.

You can't have an international campaign at ending racism in sports for the country that is (self-declared) the best in the world at combatting racism to decide to ignore some of it.q

A line clearly needs to be drawn but the debate is where?

Agreed. Whilst I don't think there should be any severe punishment, because he is clearly remorseful, I'm OK with them sending the message out there of "don't post racist shit on the internet, even if you're 18". Not sure why people have got such a problem with this.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I think he and others like him should be giving more warnings to todays youngsters that when you put something on the internet it can come back to haunt you at any time, something which a lot of us on this forum knew a couple of decades ago thus we are more careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom