• Brexit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dysfunction

FH is my second home
But then - there's a reason we don't hear from advanced alien societies when we have a universe that's purportedly repleat with planets that could potentially support life, isn't there... :)

Yes because in all likelihood they dont have Faster than light travel either.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Tbh, if there were alien life, I think that they would be far more technologically advanced than us, and are aware of our existence.

I dunno why, that's just my theory. :D

Embattle

FH is my second home
This thread took a funny turn if you go straight to page 3.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
*sigh* again? ;)

They don't need it. Say intelligent life has developed somewhere in the last 500 million years - a mere blink of an eye in the nearly 14 billion years of the universe. If, like us, they transmit radio waves - that gives us 500 million light year radius of detecting radio waves transmitted by other civilisations (which is what SETI is all about).

But we don't hear them? Why? - I reckon it's because, like us, they get to a certain level of civilisation where they can affect their planet - and they fuck it up - like we're doing - and die of either environmental collapse, nuclear war, whatever. So they only transmit those radio waves for a few hundred years at best.

We can only detect them for a few hundred years, they can only transmit them for a few hundred years - there's a 500 million light year radius - our signals are like ships that pass in the night.

THAT is why I'm voting green :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
*sigh* again? ;)

They don't need it. Say intelligent life has developed somewhere in the last 500 million years - a mere blink of an eye in the nearly 14 billion years of the universe. If, like us, they transmit radio waves - that gives us 500 million light year radius of detecting radio waves transmitted by other civilisations (which is what SETI is all about).

But we don't hear them? Why? - I reckon it's because, like us, they get to a certain level of civilisation where they can affect their planet - and they fuck it up - like we're doing - and die of either environmental collapse, nuclear war, whatever. So they only transmit those radio waves for a few hundred years at best.

We can only detect them for a few hundred years, they can only transmit them for a few hundred years - there's a 500 million light year radius - our signals are like ships that pass in the night.

So planetary doom is inevitable and we should just accept it?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
*sigh* again? ;)

Or maybe they use a different technology that we can't detect

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So planetary doom is inevitable and we should just accept it?
No. You should vote green and bin off your pathetic brexit and economy worries - and get behind the only party that takes the environment as their top priority.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or maybe they use a different technology that we can't detect
They'd have to develop it first - and radio waves are first on the rung.

We would detect anything transmitting regular signals on the electromagnetic spectrum - so it'd be pretty fucking amazing if all other life skipped radio/other electromagnetic emissions and went straight to exotic, but not us...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
They'd have to develop it first - and radio waves are first on the rung.

We would detect anything transmitting regular signals on the electromagnetic spectrum - so it'd be pretty fucking amazing if all other life skipped radio/other electromagnetic emissions and went straight to exotic, but not us...

Anything is possible.
They could also be 500 trillion light years away.

Ot they are beaming their signals in the wrong direction. Or the signals are being disrupted somehow and will never reach us.

Just because we cant hear them doesn't mean they have killed their planet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I could argue with each point in detail @dysfuntion but I'll just say - anything isn't possible and only a small subset of things are likely, given what we understand about universal physical processes.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And remainers are going to vote for them in droves. Rather than the only party that can be trusted to offer another referendum on membership.

It's all down to the electorate being thick - like I detailed above. And Corbyn knows it:
the grauniad said:
Corbyn said voters would be asked to choose between a “sensible” Brexit deal, and staying in the EU, a policy Corbyn said “really isn’t that complicated”

No. It isn't Jeremy. But every fucker on the planet seems to think you're "dithering" or "equivocating" or "sat on the fence" - because that's too complex a message than "DO OR DIE" or "CANCEL BREXIT".

So the brexit votes are going to the Tories and LibDems - because they're one-message parties.

But anyway - it's still meaningless as long as we continue headlong into our own oblivion. Vote Green. Or die. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well clearly they know you.
It's funny - but in all seriousness - that's the most likely explanation.

Look at how we're treating the world and each other. Over the space of 100 years we've entered an exinction phase wayyyy faster than our biggest mass extinction event. Do you really think we're going to last?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But how many planet's support life....if there is only one in that volume it would be quite different to hear them. Or even 20 with life on. Many more with life but no intelligence to create radio waves.
That's the question isn't it. How scarce is life? The most current thinking is "not very". Stars with potentially habitable planets are increasingly thought to be exceedingly common.

I came to the ships in the night idea independently - then found out that it's a very commonly held view amongst astrophysicists and astronomers/cosmologists etc. Brian Cox is one of the many proponents of it. As is James Lovelock (who's not an astrophysicist).

We barely understand the technologies we've got at our fingers - look what we've done with plastic for gods sake. What are we going to do with gene therapy, nanotechnology, AI, yadda yadda yadda. - presuming we make it far enough to be able to properly exploit those technologies.

We've reached such a level of intellectual understanding and advancement that we know, for certain, that we're causing a mass extinction and die off in the very system that we rely on for our own lives. And yet we're really struggling, as a species, to make the no-brainer intellectual leap to do something, collectively, about it.

Vote green. Or die. :)

(I'm trademarking that).

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Here's my problem (not that anyone cares).
Labour - Indecisive (you cant run a country by committee). I fear a Corbyn government would drag us back to the 1970's.

Conservative - It's not so much Boris Johnson as leader as Dominic Cummings leading from behind closed doors. Additionally, If going back to the 1970's wasnt bad enough, Jacob Rees-Mogg would drag us back to the 1870's given a chance.

Greens - The local candidate is literally the village idiot.

Brexit party - Nigel farage.

Lib Dems - Cancel brexit and legalise pot. We can all smoke ourselves silly to the point where we no longer care \o/

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
A lot of people will vote LD in my old consititency based up on the legalise pot part of the manifesto... oO

JBP|

Part of the furniture
A lot of people will vote LD in my old consititency based up on the legalise pot part of the manifesto... oO
Why wouldn't you? ;)

The so called war on drugs is an unmitigated disaster.
Time to take it out of organised crimes hands and regulate properly.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Not purely on that point no .... if that were the case I would not have left the Netherlands :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The so called war on drugs is an unmitigated disaster.
Time to take it out of organised crimes hands and regulate properly.
Yep. As has been succesfully done in places like Portugal to great success.

Seems like it's tantamount to political suicide here in authoritarian Blighty.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'd legalise -all- drugs, allow the MJ to be sold in dispensaries, and allow other drugs to be 'prescribed', giving all the necessary warnings, but most importantly sell them cheaper than any local drug dealer can sell them for.

Reduction in crime & HUGE tax revenues.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't think I'd go straight to legalisation - I'd decriminalise some first, legalise based on harm - but we'd have to do some hard science first.

Science we're currently banned from doing ofc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Voting Green wont have any impact in Japan
Absolutely it will.

Apart from the reduction in climate emissions (which affect the world, therefore: Japan) a market like Britain banning neonicotinoids (and moving to a sustainable ecological farming model) would have global ramifications - making it easier for other countries to justify the switch.

Pesticides are a (poor) choice.

But carry on humans. Carry on to your idiot doom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom