EA to acquire Mythic Entertainment (June 20, 2006)

Phantomby

Loyal Freddie
Svartmetall said:
It wasn't that they weren't happy with the game Climax were making, there were...fiscal situations with Climax.

lol thats a polite way of putting it ;) heard all about the shinanigans they got upto.

EA and WAR, hmm, dont like EA (worked for them once, was a nightmare) but they may bring some much needed advertising to the EU.

However beta is never to late to make those "player friendly" EA (press x for gameplay) changes.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
One thing about all the DOOOOOOOM! for DAoC!!!!!!!!! posts, I should point out that EA have already bought an MMO franchise, they bought Origin (Ultima Online) a few years ago when UO was pretty much dead in the water and only being run on a few freeshards. UO is now 9 years old, is still being patched and even gets a new expansion every so often.
I'm not an EA fan by any stretch of the imagination but this isn't their first MMO experience and they actually have a decent track record on it. Now if only they'd stop making identical crappy sports game07and do a proper C&C game.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
chretien said:
One thing about all the DOOOOOOOM! for DAoC!!!!!!!!! posts, I should point out that EA have already bought an MMO franchise, they bought Origin (Ultima Online) a few years ago when UO was pretty much dead in the water and only being run on a few freeshards. UO is now 9 years old, is still being patched and even gets a new expansion every so often.
I'm not an EA fan by any stretch of the imagination but this isn't their first MMO experience and they actually have a decent track record on it. Now if only they'd stop making identical crappy sports game07and do a proper C&C game.

Erm most ppl who played UO when EA got it (including me) thinks EA made it into a poor carebear game and flushed it down the toilet.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
xxManiacxx said:
If EA is gonna run Mythic say goodbye to me

why? EA has brought out good games..
And they know how to publish a game correctly, i often see EA games on tv.. i never see mythic games on tv.. :p

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
chretien said:

ORLY?
"According to the Business Wire, Electronic Arts is to acquire Mythic Entertainment, makers of the popular MMORPGs Dark Age of Camelot and the forthcoming Warhammer Online. With EA being well known for killing MMORPGs, even those with loyal and sizable followings, how does this bode for Mythic's titles?"

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
chretien said:

for one thing, i like their FIFA games, i like their american football games, i like msot of their racing games.

It's not their first mmo (but yes warhammer is a big step up for them).

But EA has money, and money means = publicity = full servers = zerg = warhammer :)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
EA is like cancer for me. I speak as someone who was selling video games back in the 90'ies. I can't remeber a single studio they bought that improved the quality of the products. Even Peter Molyneux left Bullfrog after just 2 years because of EA. Sure, he might have made some good money and being bought out by another company is only about getting MORE money or not going BANKRUPT.

Sanya said that it's just the business cards changing, that's pretty clueless...

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
grizzy said:
Also , Mark has clearly stated that thats not whats EA is there for

Like he clearly stated a few weeks ago that he wasn't seeling to EA :)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Manisch Depressiv said:
EA is like cancer for me. I speak as someone who was selling video games back in the 90'ies. I can't remeber a single studio they bought that improved the quality of the products. Even Peter Molyneux left Bullfrog after just 2 years because of EA. Sure, he might have made some good money and being bought out by another company is only about getting MORE money or not going BANKRUPT.

Sanya said that it's just the business cards changing, that's pretty clueless...

that is exactly what worries me. They produce games meant for light entertainment, the whole devotion of a team trying to produce depth and immersion is just not EA. This whole development worries me a lot. Of all the companies out there this is the one company I would not want to be in control of a MMPORG.

Yes they might have distribution networks and be good at promoting their products but they will reduce that product to a kind of twitchy, remote control style gaming experience.... just think about it very carefully and you will begin to see that this kind of take over does not auger well for DAOC in particular.

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
i thought they did a PR ages ago stating they would never sell to someone else? :/ noobs
money talks and you can't blame mythic must have been a huge sum of cash though

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Mabs said:
quoted for truth ;)

and only glimmer of hope is, EA control mythic BUT ..

GW control the license

/crosses fingers

dunno what they going to do with DAOC tho , doubt they would can it till WAR is a going concern tho
quantum field theory fyi! ah well, if they only market it and dont bother shutting it down im "ok" with it.

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Yeah I realise that was just making a EAWild EASpeculation EAAbout EAThe EAFuture.

actualy isnt GoA part of a larger company anyway, out of reach of EA

<its too late to think about this, im tired>

GOA is part of the Wanadoo company iirc

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Thadius said:
Are GW gonna buckle under the huge wads of cash EA can throw at them?

No offense to GW, but they are nowhere as big a company(money wise) as EA, Blizzard are

In the end, it will come down to money and fuck the rest! :)

I can see a mass marketting war between War and WoW, with the same effect as the Monday Night wars did in the US(WWFvs WCW)

It can either split the audience or create thousands of new players. Problem with that, both games will go downhill as the standards drop with each new player.

What keeps DAOC running is the fact that it has a loyal playerbase and the best pvp system out there.

GW have a lot more cash than u may think m8... in 2005 their share prices soared and they won several business awards for the amount of growth they had achieved in their last financial year. They have expanded to every major country in the world and are well established. Neone who fucks with the GW license would be in for it tbh. All EA will have control over is the amount and format of the marketing etc and will have very little input into the game itself other than billing etc as most of it will have been done by the time EA get their mits on it.

Fuck me tho we could end up with a 'Sims' style game with new expansion packs every month priced at 19.99 !!

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Anyone else apart from EA and I woulden't of been so bothered. But EA.... bleh.
As much as I hate EA, theres one thing they're good at, and thats marketing a game. Im not sure how much of the europe scene will see of the benefits of EA's marketing power though as our stuff is through GOA.

Still, on the face of things it seems like a shit deal to me, but only time will tell.

Nice to see though so many people worried about mythic etc, people still care about the game and the company, gives me a warm feeling inside :p

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Aslong as EA dont decide anything about WAR and just give huge amounts of financial backing then i dont care. But i dont want to see Mythic get controlled by EA games :(

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
AngelHeal said:
i like most of their racing games.

yeh if u want the most crappy driver experience.... nah go for simbim racegames , they know what they do :)

eble

Fledgling Freddie
In a previous thread about WHO and Daoc I sorted covered the subject of Mythic killing Daoc off, with EA on board its almost guaranteed.

Imagine mid 2007 Board meeting EA and Mythic reps all there.

EA dude "Right guys were starting the steam roller of advertising for WHO this puppy is going to be huge and were going to give WOW a beating, we just need you guys at Mythic to focus 100% on this for release last QTR 2007'

Mythic Dude "Hey mate, no worries (sorry he went Australian there), were all on board, except I got 30 guys still supporting DAOC"

EA dude "WTF is DAOC mate, I dont see no revenue for that on the balance sheets"

Mythic dude " its our lovechild from a few years back, were supporting it as we had nothing better to do"

EA dude "Well I know were partners and all guys, but I'm telling you now kill that shit (daoc) we need you guys focused, we planning on 'insert a very large number here' for new players on day one of WHO"

Mythic dude "righto boss no problem, we will just say towards the end of 2007 DAOC hasn't got a large enough playerbase and kill the servers"

EA dude "good we want em playing WHO anyway"

12 months later......

EA dude at E3 - - "today we would like to announce Dark Age of Camelot 2"!

Eble

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
Rather disturbing link posted on VN about what EA are really like at the ground floor:

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

Hae, under the new ownership everybody trying to fight for the rights of the employees will face:

[x] motivated people believing the hype working against the works council,
[x] motivated people who sold their souls working against the works council,
[x] demoralized people not working or leaving and weakening own and work council's position.

It will result in a worse new product called Warhammer that will be watered-down WoW clone and a dead horse called DAoC.

If I'd be the boss of Mythic I could

[x] get some money for myself and the private share holders/friends and relax under new ownership with no responsibility,
[ ] develop a new MMORPG with some revolutionary ideas (like CCP did with EVE) taking a huge risk.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
Rather disturbing link posted on VN about what EA are really like at the ground floor:

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/11/news_6112998.html?sid=6112998

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9051

And they coughed up after a civil lawsuit about those hours from both programmers and designers. And I wouldn't say that was particularly unusual, although it's certainly not right.
There's plenty of occupations where people were insanely long hours, my own included :) and don't get paid overtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom