Did PvP&DF Kill Albion ?

Q

Quaz

I remember a few posts just be4 DF came to the euro version, some worried that it would ruin exping around albion and everyone would just go to DF.
This didnt happen, many went to DF but still many others went to the other Lv.20-49 exp areas.

The same happend with the PvP server, would lots of people leave and stay there for good ? Most said no they will be back in a week or so. This is true, many did come back...or this is what you think.

When people say, when 'people' go to pvp will they come back ?
by people most ment people who are well known, for an example Outlaw etc... people who would be missed if they left, but none of the gr8 level 50's who we all know and love did. But what about all the people below level 40 who arnt known by many and would not be missed ?
After my time in midgard I came back to albion about 2 weeks after the pvp server came out, to my shock only 15 people where in S.planes when I was around level 15. When I was last in albion with my armsman a month back there was easly 30+
Then Keltoi, only 12 people when I was around lvl 19-23.
At Catacombs only 4 people and they where Lv.40+ farming for items. I've been to cata many times and I've never seen more then 2 fg there, Im lucky if I see one.

I think more people have left albion for pvp then we think and those who have stayed have mains/alts/buffbots exp or there in DF soloing. I've been playing for nearly a year and there 'has' been a drop in the ammount of people exping from 20-40.

What do you guys think ?

F

Flimgoblin

there's not a huge amount of new players...

there's few boxes on sale (and I found out why over christmas... 44 meg download to get to 1.52 from the 1.36 boxed version... painful on a dialup)

a lot of people level to 24 and sits in the battlegrounds, then delete and powerlevel to 24 again.

Fewer people are actually levelling themselves, they're getting an alt or a friend to powerlevel them... so less people to group with.

until you hit about level 30ish it seems to be that much harder to find groups...

Has to be said though, levels 10 through 24 were fine for groups... but 25->30 has been hard... not often you find people in cornwall/catacombs these days.

With the release of SI there should be a surge of new players (new boxes on shelves!) and this'll hopefully improve things :)

M

Motowntheta

I found the same problem :( when leveling my last Alt. Luckily I can help out with my main but I much prefer groups of similar level characters. I remember when Keltoi and Catas used to have 50+ people in it all the time :)

I must say though our guild has recently managed to nab a few new players.... so we must have just been lucky :D

at least one thing is static there is always Fingoniel around on every board possible :D

O

old.Zeikerd

I'm leveling an alt to 24 now and it's easy to find groups. Also some new people in them who play it since christmas. Nice to see some n00bs in Albion again :)
We miss Herbal the cleric though. She's still stuck on Camnlan :(

Q

Quaz

off the topic for a sec...

This has nothin to do with the post but could someone please tell me what happend to our Avatars ?

C

Cowled

If you fear why there are no lowlvls, it's simple to tell you why..

People gets powerlvled, caused by people who try to exploit the game (this is nothing wrong with, i do it myself :p)

A

Apathy

I played "properly" with some of my alts but most of them I powerlevelled.

Why?

BECAUSE NEW PLAYERS ARE IDIOTS.

And so are a lot of alt-people. They can't play for shit. At least I can get my sorcerer and an alt in a team and then go do tangler beach pulls by myself. No deaths unless something goes horribly wrong. I get lots of cash and the alt gets safe exp. Easy peasy.

Grouping can be fun but more often than not it's a pain in the ass and nothing but a long series of irritating time-wasting deaths.

a.

K

Kagato.

Its not just Albion, the guilds across the whole of excalibur are suffering number drops due to pvp, players quitting for new games completely, and indeed in the case of albion, some members leaving to try other realms.

And with the increased use of 2nd and even 3rd accounts and buff bots etc, actual server stats are no longer a reliable judge of just how many actual players there are now. Not that they were exactly accurate to begin with.

T

thorwyntf

I couldn´t agree more! All n00bs are n00bs and idiots. Just like kids IRL. Kids are so dumb, they can´t even read or talk seriously. The sheer thought of it makes me want to puke. They can´s spell photosynthesis and they´re unable to drive a car. And they would die of starvation if we didn´t feed them. Don´t bother talking to or caring about kids, it´s a waste of time. Instead I´d recommend sitting in you Eternal Ivory Tower of Uberness, meditating and trying to come closer to enlightment.
Thank God we´re the true elite and started this game as Pros, not like the scrubs that are running around on our Server, inceasing my latency and ping and bothering my eyes with their unimaginative, brown clothing.

Thorwyn
GM
<Blade&Quill>
50Pally
37Scout
33Sorc
24Wiz

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by ApathyEndymion
I played "properly" with some of my alts but most of them I powerlevelled.

Why?

BECAUSE NEW PLAYERS ARE IDIOTS.

And so are a lot of alt-people. They can't play for shit.

Hmmm, here we go again. Alot of people would have got the game for Xmas, and so yes we will see some new players around. Is it really so hard to remember that YOU were new once? If you see new players around, and they are making mistakes, get some patience and try helping them learn about the game. I think its the arrogant elitist attitude that we're seeing more and more around albion that is causing more people to leave than anything else. You'd think some of these people were born level 50...

T

Tilda

Originally posted by bracken_woodman

Hmmm, here we go again. Alot of people would have got the game for Xmas, and so yes we will see some new players around. Is it really so hard to remember that YOU were new once? If you see new players around, and they are making mistakes, get some patience and try helping them learn about the game. I think its the arrogant elitist attitude that we're seeing more and more around albion that is causing more people to leave than anything else. You'd think some of these people were born level 50...

Well im happy to announce that although i am uber i was standing around in camelot hills and occasionally riding to Camp station handing out cash to n00bies and helping thim into the game :p

Tilda

A

Apathy

I prefer not to group with people who just ruin my in-game experience. The option of easy and profitable leveling is open to me and so I take it. Simple as that.

And people getting DAoC for Xmas? Did Santa run out of lumps of coal or something?

a.

A

Apathy

"Little Jonny, for trying to strangle your sister with a power cord in July, I hereby sentence you to a Christmas WITH NO PRESENTS! So take your coal and enjoy it. MWHAHAHAHA. Oh shit, not got any coal. Here, take this copy of DAoC and go fuck yourself you little brat. Have fun with the 44mb update on your 9600 baud modem.".

a.

Q

Quaz

I think its gr8 that new people come to DAoC, what I dont think is cool is buffbot/PLing, Im not saying its wrong and Im not saying its right but I think it takes a part out of the game that makes it special, Grouping can be fun, Meeting new people, having a laugh, I see all these things slowly starting to fade away into a greedy, selfish exp/item grabbing game. If it goes on exp/items will loose there vaule and thus people will get bored and then leave the game.

So please *puppy eye look* donate your noob alt and exp with the rest of us :)

M

Madonion Slicer

Not sure if DF or PVP are to blame, seems to me alot are leaving for other Games that are coming out.

Red Dragons are suffering with lack of numbers i alone make up at least 1/3 of the active players.

When SWG comes we will see a huge drop for at least one month, with every gamer atleast trying the one month free trial.

Shame really

C

Cowled

Originally posted by Madonion Slicer
When SWG comes we will see a huge drop for at least one month, with every gamer atleast trying the one month free trial.

Shame really

If Mythic didn't try and f*** us all for our money, im sure i would stay a bit

A

Apathy

£6 a month is nothing! It's not like you need that money for condoms or anything.

a.

M

Madonion Slicer

Not really much Mythic/Goa can do, when SWG opens the simple promise of the grass is greener will attract people to SWG.

Only thing that might be there saving grace is stick to their plans of patching on time and releasing SI on time.

Can you imagin the threads on here come 21st of Feb if SI is delayed.

GOA, this is a simple fact if you fuck up between now and the 21st of Feb, you can kiss you player base goodbye come SWG release.

I for one am not that botherd about SWG, i have to much invested in DAoC, but even i will give SWG the one month it deserves.

M

Madonion Slicer

But to put this thread back on track with the question asked, the biggest change for my xping was DF.

DF has mobs from 15-70+ so you could lvl all the way from lvl10(group) to 50 if you so wished without ever leaving, except for healer and training)

DF Drops with seals emerald/Sap/Dim you can pretty much kit you character out from the low 20-50's with no camping a mob for hours on end, every single drop in Albion has a pretty close match sold by DF Merchants. excluding epic and otd.

Using my high lvls i can now very easly equip my low lvls for BG1-2-3 and for the xping with ease, where before DF it meant getting rare drops and camping spots.

DF Mobs drop extreme amounts of cash for low lvls mobs once you are about 20 you can go solo the first sets of mobs and rake in the cash.

DF is good dont get me wrong just maybe a little too good.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Motowntheta
at least one thing is static there is always Fingoniel around on every board possible :D

and I've been quite restrained today :)

I've not invaded the Prydwen boards on here for aaaaaaaaaages either.

B

bomaya

Well I'm a fairly n00bie player of six weeks so maybe I'm wrong but the game is plenty full for my lvl 22 armsman. Keltoi was packed last night. Maybe it was better before, I can't say. On the bright side, maybe les people around helps with areas that used to be camped all the time which must have been a bit of a problem I'd have thought.

Q

Quaz

nah, when everything was packed it was cool, if u couldnt get a group there was always another with one man short or u have the chance to make your own, now its like a real fight to snap up any person around ur lvl to make a group or to find a group with an open spot. Aye myself personaly think this game was alot more lush and epic 3 months down the line, now I just feel its all been done and played to death and Im still content....no idea why

Madonion, I too am not to fussed about SWG' I like DAoC to much to give it up as easy as a release of a new game, but your right about trying the free month, I'll be trying it out myself.
I bet Mythic/GOA will be doin alittle nail biting over the next month or two.
Good luck guys

B

benedictine

Some nice posts here - most of which I agree with. Having played both the US and Euro servers pre and post DF, I can say that DF and PvP didnt kill the game; that much is obvious - what it defintiely did do is lessen the 'normal' rvr and exp action for quite some time, and screw things up for crafters.

Personally I dislike DF - id rather eat my own earwax than go on a DF raid (PvE at level 50?! what did I waste 49 levels trying to do? - get into Df and exp - ? :p )

Ive been waiting for SWG for months now, and was going to buy SI. Now, though the DAOC experience doesnt quite have the same appeal, and I think that there will be many of the famous 50s who simply go and dont come back.

Was PvP and DF the death of Albion and DAOC? No, but SWG will be.

T

Trinilim

I have to disagree with people saying 'give'em a break, they're new!'. SOME of these newbies deserve chances, others need to be slapped several times with a crowbar. The kind of newbies I like are the kind that ask you questions or give requests in a respectful manner.

IE: 'excuse me, could you tell me where <insert dungeon/xp grounds/city here> is?' or 'I don't suppose I could have a bit of money for armor and a weapon could I?' or even a 'could I have an EB please?'.

None of this BS 'give me money plzzzzz' (which I saw the other day in sauvage) and 'BUFFZ!' or 'ITAMZ!'. One pathetic little armsman (had to be 15ish) ran after me screaming 'W8!!!', I kept running til I got tired of listening to him and stopped.. what did he say? 'buffs!'.. it makes me wanna puke.

I have no simpathy towards the annoying newbies, but I'll give the respectful ones a chance.

edit: and on the subject of swg, I wouldn't be surprised if mythic gave albion a little boost in the rvr department just to keep a few customers

B

badazz

U just gotta love all the people on here who are slagging of newcomers to the game by calling them noob etc. Maybe it isnt DF/PvP/Mythic etc ruining the game. Maybe its those of you with big ego's who think that beacuse you are lvl 50/51 and in sum cases even 52(how u get that i have no idea) and have "X" amount of Rp's, u can do what u want within the game. End of the day, the level 1 newcomer has the right to play the game how he seems fit (within the rules of conduct of course) for his enjoyment and if him/her makes a mistake resulting in group deaths then so what? It happens. Get over it rather than "im not grouping with him, hes crap etc". If we helped these newcomers, rather than chastize them, then maybe the game would be better and more appealing to others, rather than it being filled with too many ego's.

V

Vireb

Originally posted by thorwyntf
I couldn´t agree more! All n00bs are n00bs and idiots. Just like kids IRL. Kids are so dumb, they can´t even read or talk seriously. The sheer thought of it makes me want to puke. They can´s spell photosynthesis and they´re unable to drive a car. And they would die of starvation if we didn´t feed them. Don´t bother talking to or caring about kids, it´s a waste of time. Instead I´d recommend sitting in you Eternal Ivory Tower of Uberness, meditating and trying to come closer to enlightment.
Thank God we´re the true elite and started this game as Pros, not like the scrubs that are running around on our Server, inceasing my latency and ping and bothering my eyes with their unimaginative, brown clothing.

Thorwyn
GM
<Blade&Quill>
50Pally
37Scout
33Sorc
24Wiz
rofl exactl;y my thoughts lol ill go murder my cousins because there stoopid and dont know the genetic makeup of micheal jacksons dna :clap: :clap:

G

Gorbash

I think its gr8 that new people come to DAoC, what I dont think is cool is buffbot/PLing, Im not saying its wrong and Im not saying its right but I think it takes a part out of the game that makes it special, Grouping can be fun, Meeting new people, having a laugh, I see all these things slowly starting to fade away into a greedy, selfish exp/item grabbing game. If it goes on exp/items will loose there vaule and thus people will get bored and then leave the game.

you obviously havnt played UO before then :)
possibly THE biggest item-grabbing game goin, and strangely enough, still has a fairly large player base.

imo, i think the lack of things to do in the game itself is whats going to eventually drive players away. lets face it, you HAVE to exp to go rvr, and once your 50, all you can do IS rvr. lets not even mention carpal tunnel syndrome (i.e. crafting)

but on a brighter note, i totally agree wif you that people should try and lvl thier alts 'properly', it brings a generally nicer atmosphere to the game for starters, and also helps ya meet new friends :)

U

Uriron

/clap trinilim

I think the elitist level 50's are as much a part of the problem as the "noobs" with bad attitudes when it comes to the drop in server population.

Ask yourself this question:-

A decent and polite "noob" tries DAOC out to see what its like and has to group with the small proportion of low levels (catas / keltoi etc. seem to be allways empty these days) his group will consist of 60% alt (if not being power leveled) and 20% l337 d00ds, leaving 20% decent nice people. The alt will likely be a lvl 50 who goes on and on about how they aren't playing their char correctly etc..(probably cause their main is the same class)

How long would they stay for before either trying a different realm (maybe but probably put off DAOC by this point) or trying a different game (more likely) or (most likely) go back to their single player games or online frag fests?

Remember that most DAOC "virgins" will make their mind up during those first 4 free weeks.

I think the appeal of a mmorg is the interaction with the members of the realm and the relationships to be built up, i can have fun playing any online game but i'm unlikely to see the same people as often as i do in a mmorg. This is where DAOC and Albion is failing atm imo. The majority are selfish and all too ready to get "arsey" (the annonimty (sp?) of online gaming causes this i think).

I hope SI gets more publicity than DAOC is currently getting and i hope we get an influx of DAOC "virgins" and i hope those of us that enjoy this game and want it to succeed can find it in our hearts to make an effort to welcome them and help them.

Failing that see you on dragon empires / planetside :)))

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Totally agree.

If we cant be agreeable to each other, at least lets treat the newbies and virgins with respect and decency.

Users who are viewing this thread