Fact David, why don't you suck my balls?

opticle

Part of the furniture
They were pagan holidays originally, they are now Christian holidays. Gohan is right, get over it.

Talk about pedantic.

What Gumbo said. I don't reality get the point of this thread. Although Britain'a loss of (religious) values and shift in the religious spectrum is an important topic :x

rynnor

Rockhound
They were pagan holidays originally, they are now Christian holidays. Gohan is right, get over it.

Everyone does the pagan bits - big feast, decorate tree, presents etc. But only a tiny minority do the christian bits therefore christmas is still a overwhelmingly pagan festival despite over a thousand years of christian propaganda.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Christ [sic], this thread is full of retards.

Of course it's a christian country. Look over the skyline of your home town - how many spires/bell towers?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm rather tired of this anti-stuff now. Can we start "atheists are stupid rapists" thread instead? Just to balance things out.

Will

/bin/su
Although Britain'a loss of (religious) values and shift in the religious spectrum is an important topic :x
Why should values be fundamentally Christian? I'm an atheist and I have a set of moral principles I live my life by. Religion and ethics are not the same thing.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Live in predominantly Christian coutry.

Prime Minister states 'Country is Christian'

Y U so mad???

Seriously though, I really don't get this. I am in NO WAY religious yet this statement doesn't affect me even slightly. If Cameron had come out and said "Everyone is the UK is, or should be, Christian" then yes, I would be annoyed. This is merely a correct statement that could be backed up with fact. We do live in a multicultural society, but the predominant religion within that society is still Christianity. I'm afraid threads/posts like these say more about the people than the topic.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hah - the reason jehovas witnesses dont celebrate Christmas and Easter is because they are Pagan holidays - hoisted by your own petard :p

And there was me thinking that the Jews don't celebrate such holidays because they believe that Jesus was something of an imposter.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
And there was me thinking that the Jews don't celebrate such holidays because they believe that Jesus was something of an imposter.
He's not the messiah...

(he's a very naughty boy)

rynnor

Rockhound

You think Jehovas witnesses are Jews???

rynnor

Rockhound
Nope, I got married in a church because Mrs Sar wanted a church wedding. Easy enough really :)

Sure and I dont mean to be offensive but an atheist who gets married in a church is pretty much the definition of hypocrisy - I wouldnt worry though - most people are out of social convenience.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Sure and I dont mean to be offensive but an atheist who gets married in a church is pretty much the definition of hypocrisy - I wouldnt worry though - most people are out of social convenience.

Why is it hypocritical to get married in a historic/beautiful building that is holds that kind of function regularly.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
hoisted by your own petard :p

Anyone using that phrase deserves a pint :)

I'm rather tired of this anti-stuff now. Can we start "atheists are stupid rapists" thread instead? Just to balance things out.

You could. But only if you could back it up with some facts that would loosely support that statement. Unfortunately there are none - because atheists are no more likely than the general population to be paedos.

Saying "catholic priests are rapists" has at least some basis in fact because they're more likely to be than the general population. :p

72% of Christians say statistics are bollocks...

Well, they would. Evidence is inconvenient.

Anyway, I got married in a Church. I'm as much of an athiest as Hitchens or Dawkins.

Work that one out :)

You don't give a fuck but it makes for pretty photo's, so you used the church to get what you wanted?

Sounds all fine to me :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Because its a church - doesnt matter that its a pretty building but if you really are an atheist you couldnt be happy to be married in a church. An atheist has made an intellectual decision to reject religion.

If your just too lazy to go to church regularly or 'havent thought about it' then your not an atheist - in fact your a null in terms of religion.

I wrote my own vows and we got married with a special license in a country hotel - I have refused to be a god parent because I cannot agree to raise a child into a faith I do not believe in.

Truely understanding religion intellectually and rejecting it is a journey many people will not make - true atheists will always be rare.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
As an atheist I would have liked to have had a civil ceremony in the church but as far as i know it isn't allowed.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
An atheist has made an intellectual decision to reject religion.

Strangely, I disagree.

I've said before, I found that I couldn't make myself believe in religion. The decision not to believe in god wasn't even a decision for me - I just couldn't make myself do it.

For a long time I went through the motions - but I never actually believed. I just acted that way because it was expected of me, and when I didn't I got punished.

My intellectual rejection of religion came later. I studied and found what a crock of shit and a pack of lies it all was. All the evidence is on the side against religion. And since I didn't do the "belief" thang - I could see it.

:)

gohan

FH is my second home
Because its a church - doesnt matter that its a pretty building but if you really are an atheist you couldnt be happy to be married in a church. An atheist has made an intellectual decision to reject religion.

If your just too lazy to go to church regularly or 'havent thought about it' then your not an atheist - in fact your a null in terms of religion.

I wrote my own vows and we got married with a special license in a country hotel - I have refused to be a god parent because I cannot agree to raise a child into a faith I do not believe in.

Truely understanding religion intellectually and rejecting it is a journey many people will not make - true atheists will always be rare.
agnostic is the term, if your undecided/don't really care then you're agnostic

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You could. But only if you could back it up with some facts that would loosely support that statement. Unfortunately there are none - because atheists are no more likely than the general population to be paedos.

Saying "catholic priests are rapists" has at least some basis in fact because they're more likely to be than the general population. :p

joker460.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nice and constructive there Toht. Have you got a counter to the factual argument I made or are you just going to continue to spooge over batman?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm not going to use factual arguments over a clear cut joke.

FYI; batman can suck my hairy santabaubles.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Its easy - your a hypocrit.

To quote wiki (but I am sure there are other definitions available):
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Atheism it the theory or belief that God does not exist.

Marriage is a concept that exists outside of religion and the existence of churches does not require a belief in God. If you go to the Church of England website it even says you don't need to be a Christian to get married in one. So unless [Mrs] Sar lied or go around telling people that Atheist shouldn't get married in Church, its not hypocritical.

P.S. Also it's: "you are"

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well, I'd say it's more like we are a secular country with a christian history and traditions.
We should be but we aren't. Religion meddles in all things.

rynnor

Rockhound
Marriage is a concept that exists outside of religion and the existence of churches does not require a belief in God. If you go to the Church of England website it even says you don't need to be a Christian to get married in one. So unless [Mrs] Sar lied or go around telling people that Atheist shouldn't get married in Church, its not hypocritical.

Seriously? A church wedding service contains religious content - an atheist accepting and participating in the religious form of marriage is clearly a hypocrit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Or could just consider it a theme wedding. Like Klingon weddings and whatnot. They don't really believe in all the nonsense but would like a traditional wedding. The only legal part of a wedding is the registration, the rest is whatever fluff you want. If the only people that got married in a church were actual Christians then there wouldn't be many church marriages.

I don't think getting married in a church as an atheist is at all hypocritical.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It kind of exposes the flaw in the definition of atheist that the church loves - i.e. "atheists believe there is NO god.

IMO atheists don't believe there IS a god.

Massive, massive difference. And if you don't believe there is a god then you don't really give a fuck about it at all. If the missus wants to get married in a pretty building and you don't mind standing about talking crap whilst some twat in a collar spouts shit you don't give a monkeys about then it's not an issue...

It's not hypocritical because you don't hold a belief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom