DAOC mod review!!

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
And when did enjoying fg rvr or playing fg rvr become against the FH CoC? Oh wait it didn't but you'd like to argue as if you're some hard pressed upon minority with your rights stomped all over. It's not the case at all.

Or did "fg rvr" suddenly have a requirement of posting add whine in everyone's grats threads? Maybe I'm a bit confused as to how the whole "optimising your group, getting voice comms, playing together for a while, killing other full groups" needs you to post "omgz adding coxxor" on this forum.

You dont, you can post "I would appreciate if X wouldnt add on us, and we wont add on your either, does that sound ok?".

But then I am whining that X adds and bam thread locked and I am warned/banned. I couldnt care less if you banned people or closed threads where people called eachother names together with adding, but if you really think its such a bad thing to just be called an adder, are you ashamed of doing it or what?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
You'd be perfectly entitled to post that if it wasn't for the months and months of "ffs adding coxxor retard" abuse going on the RvR boards.

As it is add whine is the beginnings of a flame war and it's synonymous with insulting people.

If you really want to ask someone politely not to add - feel free to PM them.

Edit: Actually if that wasn't in a grats thread it would probably be ok but it's rare to see anything like that.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
Edit: Actually if that wasn't in a grats thread it would probably be ok but it's rare to see anything like that.

I got 50% warning for politely stating that a certain group decided to take part in a fight that was already going on, and that wasn't in a grats thread, was it?

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
You'd be perfectly entitled to post that if it wasn't for the months and months of "ffs adding coxxor retard" abuse going on the RvR boards.

As it is add whine is the beginnings of a flame war and it's synonymous with insulting people.

If you really want to ask someone politely not to add - feel free to PM them.

PM would work if I knew everyones FH nickname, which I dont.

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
We run in full groups to fight full groups, as well as enjoy all aspects of RVR, from keep sieges, tower takes, bridge camping, realm defense. We also enjoy 3-way fights, and will happily engage (depending who's driving) hib vs mid fights. We will avoid, whenever possible, joining in on enemy vs alb fights; but we won't kick ourselves over accidents. Shit happens, it's a game.

We've been around for several years, we're still the most active Alb guild, have a regular playerbase. Mostly though, we run in full groups to have fun, which is what this game is about, not petty whining on forums when someone other than yourself hits an enemy, accidentally or not, in a massive multiplayer online role playing game.

hahahha lol guess u covered all bases there, btw u forgot "we pay our subs so we play as we see fit"..........

more mods yep FH deffo needed more mods, like G W Bush needs advisors, whatever happened to the phrase "print and be damned"... long live censorship, long live Rupert Murdoch...........

Lets start a campaign CFSFH (Campaign for Freedom of Speech on FH) yadda yadda yadda... btw i dont spit or swallow do u?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Naffets said:
I got 50% warning for politely stating that a certain group decided to take part in a fight that was already going on, and that wasn't in a grats thread, was it?

it was an insult, noaim's post above was a polite suggestion of reciprocative non-adding agreement, difference.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Jupiter said:
hahahha lol guess u covered all bases there, btw u forgot "we pay our subs so we play as we see fit".........

You got it spot on - we do indeed.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
noaim said:
You dont, you can post "I would appreciate if X wouldnt add on us, and we wont add on your either, does that sound ok?".

But then I am whining that X adds and bam thread locked and I am warned/banned. I couldnt care less if you banned people or closed threads where people called eachother names together with adding, but if you really think its such a bad thing to just be called an adder, are you ashamed of doing it or what?

You could post that and i'm imagine it would be fine. Experience tells me within 30 minutes there would be 2 pages of inapropriate replies however, which is why the thread would get locked.
While i'm sure there's people in the full group crowd that can discuss the subject in a grown up manner, there's also a large percentage that can't, and it's that large percentage that tends to home in on such threads with remarkable speed.

Naffets said:

If you can explain why that comment wasn't simply an excuse to insult the group in question, then i'll believe that maybe the warning wasn't justified. I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for you at the moment however. I always love the people who try to defend insults by saying "I stated politely". It's much the same as wandering and holding a gun to someones head and saying "Can I please have your wallet?".. then trying to justify it in court by yelling "Well I asked him politely!"

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Having just done a quick scan through to see what all the fuss is about I find out that there's 3 locked threads on the cluster section on the first pages.
2 in off-topic and 1 in crafting. Hardly what I was expecting to find given every other thread gets locked apparently! Could it be that the people are just jealous of the mods because it's a level of e-peen they themselves don't have?

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Golena said:
If you can explain why that comment wasn't simply an excuse to insult the group in question, then i'll believe that maybe the warning wasn't justified. I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for you at the moment however. I always love the people who try to defend insults by saying "I stated politely". It's much the same as wandering and holding a gun to someones head and saying "Can I please have your wallet?".. then trying to justify it in court by yelling "Well I asked him politely!"

I don't need nor am I after your sympathy. What I was stating is that I got 50% warning for stating the truth in a non whining way. Comparing that to pointing a gun at someones head is completely irrelevant in all honesty, don't you think?

Trunks

Loyal Freddie
yeah, why would you relate someone asking another to not add politely in a video game to someone putting a gun to another persons head in real life...thats blowing things out of proportion

Gamah

Banned
Naffets said:
I don't need nor am I after your sympathy. What I was stating is that I got 50% warning for stating the truth in a non whining way. Comparing that to pointing a gun at someones head is completely irrelevant in all honesty, don't you think?

People who use analogies always do so with stupid proportions. Like "Emote spamming in daoc is like commiting genocide" People who use analogies often have the argumentative powers of a small turnip.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Golena said:
people are just jealous of the mods because it's a level of e-peen they themselves don't have?
i think you may be near to the truth, the way the mods warn and ban people on here is no different to their beloved IRC, except on here you get warned/banned for being a twat and on there you get banned for damaging their poor little E-peens.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
lol at all the anger in this thread, get a grip people the mods do their best in difficult circumstances. If I was a mod half the people on the boards would be perma banned for being pricks so hats off to the mods on here for putting up with all your shit and being able to stay at least partly objective.

elbeek

Part of the furniture
Case said:
lol at all the anger in this thread, get a grip people the mods do their best in difficult circumstances. If I was a mod half the people on the boards would be perma banned for being pricks so hats off to the mods on here for putting up with all your shit and being able to stay at least partly objective.

:clap:

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Golena said:
Could it be that the people are just jealous of the mods because it's a level of e-peen they themselves don't have?

oh
my
god.

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Case said:

Could'nt agree more..........well said :)

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Yay, it's time for me to interfere in the thread again, after all my last contributions were soooooo popular :p

I've undoubtedly said a few things which were disliked and disaproved of but I have an opinion, i am entitled to have one and I always will be. I make noise and state my mind when I think things are bad, I make just as much noise and offer praise and thanks when I feel something is good...

Golena said:
Could it be that the people are just jealous of the mods because it's a level of e-peen they themselves don't have?

There may be an aspect of that from some of the folk here I guess but people who are jealous of someone having mod priviledges need there head examined!!! Re-reading this thread, I don't think you'll ever see anyone suggest the job is fun, glamorous, or something they themselves wanted to do.

Let's face it, a lot of the folk on here have forum experiences in other places than FH, a good number (including me) have mod experience elsewhere too. Those who have know what a bloody awful time it can be when you get one stubborn minded little git who decides to have a pop at you because the day of the week ends in a y... The tight rope these guys walk trying to steer things in a reasonable direction is a tricky one, sometimes things go wrong and they fall off but they always get back on and try again to the best of their abilities...

This thread may have started its life as an informational 'these are your mods' thread but many folks, including myself, saw the opportunity to use this as an open forum for sharing some strongly held opinions in this little community of which we are ALL a member, paying or not...

The posts have been highly critical at times, sometimes justified, sometimes not but that's people... One thing you can guarantee in life, ask 100 different people about a subject, you'll get 100 different opinions.

Now, it would have been very easy for Jup or anyone of the mods to just close off this thread and be done with it but they chose to keep it open and let people have their say and let off some steam. For that simple act alone, keeping a thread open where they will be flamed and critisised, as this topic has obviously provoked a strong emotional response from the community, I feel they are worth of some small amount of praise (not too much so no letting it go to your heads mod folks)...

Personally, I still think that there are times when the mods get it wrong. On occasions some can be a little over sensitive and close things unnecessarily, at times it appears that some take advantage of their added rights to close things simply because they don't agree with them even if they're in the minority. That includes threads where the guild of a mod is critisised fairly... A lot of us have had to put up with such comments over the years and I don't believe, just because someone can sticky or close a post they should be exempt from such critisism where it is warranted.

I don't want heads to roll and never will do as it's simply not appropriate... What I do think appropriate however, that with their added responsibility comes the added burden of the scrutiny of the rest of us, that the mod folks can and should be held accountable by the community they represent. Please note this is NOT the same thing as insulted and flamed senseless at every opportunity but that people trying to post serious comments or observations without having their posts/threads summarily closed and their accounts banned.

This thread has gone a long way towards that very aim so TY for keeping it open...

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Krait said:
Case said:
lol at all the anger in this thread, get a grip people the mods do their best in difficult circumstances. If I was a mod half the people on the boards would be perma banned for being pricks
Could'nt agree more..........well said :)

Ok I'll have to chip in on this one too now...

People are entitled to their opinions however ill informed or controversial they are. The world does not revolve around any one person, their opinion is no more or less important than anyone elses...

Obviously people who consistantly and repeadedly make inflamitory comments for the sake of provoking a reaction should be dealt with (which is what the warning system on the forums is for) but you can't just ban people because you don't like what they say... That truely is the path towards a fascist dictatorship... Start down that path, and the USA will try to capture or assasinate you...

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Dakkath said:
Ok I'll have to chip in on this one too now...

People are entitled to their opinions however ill informed or controversial they are. The world does not revolve around any one person, their opinion is no more or less important than anyone elses...

Obviously people who consistantly and repeadedly make inflamitory comments for the sake of provoking a reaction should be dealt with (which is what the warning system on the forums is for) but you can't just ban people because you don't like what they say... That truely is the path towards a fascist dictatorship... Start down that path, and the USA will try to capture or assasinate you...

Which is one reason why I could never be a mod and why the mods,that we do have,get my respect and even a little bit of sympathy.

Oh and kudos for your previous post too. :)

Kahland

One of Freddy's beloved
Jupitus said:
Fascinating discussion with so many well considered views... thank you all for your contributions.

Now please consider this: This community does NOT need YOU as an individual. Generally we take a generous view of people's behaviour and react accordingly. Every single mod here is appointed by me or another admin and if you take issue with any action they take there IS a course of action to take in PMing us. That said, I do think that most mod decisions are taken with due consideration and understanding and it is extremely rare that I have in the past disagreed with bans etc. If you fuck about we will ban you, but we err on the side of generosity. Case in point, even samaroon has thrown his comments in here against us, less than a day after I PM'd flim to say 'he can stay unless he causes trouble'..... :rolleyes:

And then you woke up?

You're actually pointing out thatYOU'RE the community ? Haha freddyshouse isnt a community... It's a forum for the community. If it wasnt for the TRADE threads, Raid Threads, and whine threads, NOONE would be here. NOONE is here to chat and have fun and use it as a community, its the DAOC community, not FH community hahah?. Please wake up.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Kahland said:
If it wasnt for the TRADE threads, Raid Threads, and whine threads, NOONE would be here.

You just described the generalites dream ;)

Kahland

One of Freddy's beloved
I just wish this would be a better forum, like old BW or old FH, without hypocrit mods. Without mods thinking they can judge what the community needs, wants, and who the community would "miss" in case of ban.

I feel lucky i spend most of my time playing the game and the least here, and not the most of my time here and the least ingame.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Kahland said:
And then you woke up?

You're actually pointing out thatYOU'RE the community ? Haha freddyshouse isnt a community... It's a forum for the community. If it wasnt for the TRADE threads, Raid Threads, and whine threads, NOONE would be here. NOONE is here to chat and have fun and use it as a community, its the DAOC community, not FH community hahah?. Please wake up.

:worthy: Agree totally, and repped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom