DAoC Forum announcement

D

Damini

Originally posted by old.Tzeentch
Actually I do know of one of the largest forums around that have virtually little to no moderation, and it works.. well, well enough.. :)

But I understand your point.. just a shame I think.

Trust me, we really wanted it to work here too. But it didn't :( Different horses for different courses I suppose, which is why we are having to adapt.

And yeah Cyradix, it's a really simple premise. It's just really having someone who is keeping an eye on a community they are involved with, and liasing with the mods if they think something is a miss. It's so simple that some people do it already with out the title, without even making a conscious effort to do so, but hopefully by making this a formal (ish!) set up we'll get even more feedback and help make the forums nicer for all users.

C

Coim-

Lol, I nearly signed up for E&E for OT or something... then I realised I'd probably end up having to report myself... :eek:

N

-Nuked-

while this thread is up i bet you will get an increase in people reporting posts, just to prove they can do the job!

*runs off to find something to report*

edit: found 1.

S

scarffs

It would be great if the mods chose eyes and ears who do more then flame and annoy people all the time...

C

Cyfr

A better idea:

Warning
Ban

No buts.

The mods ARE too soft, some of the things said here are not acceptable, and those people need a warning then a ban. Not let off 1000 times.

If they break the coc then they should go :)

Its the only way to deal with it :flame:

D

Damini

Originally posted by scarffs
It would be great if the mods chose eyes and ears who do more then flame and annoy people all the time...

Erm? They haven't been chosen yet. I don't get what you are saying.

D

Damon_D

Aww and I even tried to restrain myself lately :( Not been calling anyone anything worse than muppets.. no referring to tearing of limb's or anything .. Well guesse its an ok idea, so long the E&E's wont all be happy smily face'd boyscout's or religious zealots , who think peopel who swear will go to hell

F

Flesh

Originally posted by Addlcove
Flimgoblin and Tilda re the only ones actually playing DAoC, which in my opinion is a good thing, otherwise you´d might get biased mods.
Not really, the only friend Tilda would have to be biased towards..is Gunz..and he only wants him for the sex..so it's fine. :(

S

scarffs

Originally posted by Damini
Erm? They haven't been chosen yet. I don't get what you are saying.

It was no criticism, i just said : great idea, and if you choose nice people it will be even better :)

O

old.Tyraette

Also, its very likely that I'm going to be leaving soon (and I know I've said this before but this time it's looking like it's actually going to happen) and before I do I'd like to set up a system to make everyone's life easier.

:(

sod the e&e for a sec...DAMIIIINIIIII nooooooo :scared: :scared: :uhoh: :uhoh:

B

bob007

Also, its very likely that I'm going to be leaving soon (and I know I've said this before but this time it's looking like it's actually going to happen) and before I do I'd like to set up a system to make everyone's life easier.

You can't leave, Your more then a Mod, Your a part of Barrysworld. You'd miss it to much :)

Apart from that, Why not change the moding system on the whole. Ofc keep them 2 GoA blokes, What ever there names are. :p Not like there around for anything other then a "Posting to say we around but not reading" Post. Why not have a mod from each realm Doing That realms Board. Alb/excal mod for alb/excal board. Mid/pryd mod for mid/pryd board. Have them all moderate there servers rvr, And that leaves 3 Genral and the dreaded off topic forums for you and a few ppl you choose to moderate, Pop a Mod in for creative, Of keep that for yourself. Comunity can then police its self.

Useing E&E to do something that ppl should be doing anyway is wrong, The comunity should be responsible for its members, Not just a select few. Its a job everyone should be doing anyway.

Hope this crap makes sense anyway :)

B

bob007

Originally posted by Coim-
We're not so bad. :p

Tbh your not, Not even close to the scale BW itself was like back in its early days :)

T

Thundercall

hmm,.. when i hear "Eyes & Ears" I thinks about a Flashbang is being thrown and simply just covers my ears and closes my eyes,... but that is just me,...

S

Sichama

During Hitlers reign in Germany the people where actively encouraged to report (snitch) their neighbours and family for anti-goverment behaviour....all this ofcourse for a better Germany.

H

<Harle>

Originally posted by Sichama
During Hitlers reign in Germany the people where actively encouraged to report (snitch) their neighbours and family for anti-goverment behaviour....all this ofcourse for a better Germany.

Every government wants its people to report crimes if they are done, the difference is just what is considered to be a crime by each government.

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Sichama

so we're nazi's who'll put "abusers" in the gass chaimber, while it's ok for everybody to shout die IRL at eachother...

humanity never ceases to amaze me
I'd quote Einstein at this point, something 2 things being infinite, but I'd better not I think, lest I break the forum rules myself :)

R

Roo Stercogburn

Mulled this a lot.

I don't think I'd be a good mod, sub-mod, E & E mod or even an actual mod with a parka and scooter. If I'm involved in running stuff it Will Be Done Properly Or There Will Be Dark Roo. And that is not here I don't think. Perhaps in future I'll change my mind (its due for renewal anyway).

Feel a bit bad for bugging out when I'm probably one of the worst posters of inconsequential nonsense here.

Would be sorry to see Damini and to be honest, any of the other mods go. Each has stamped an amount of personality on this rather unruly place over time and in my opinion done a good job also.

Damini has been a mod here as long as I can remember. I admit to being a goldfish but you get the point. (Actually I liked the babybuggy avatar and kinda miss that, it always made me smile). I understand though it can be a real pain keeping things under control when you've got lots of <cough> free spirits.

Deliberate choice of "Would be sorry..." above because I hope it won't happen but all good things as is often said. What can I say, I'm an optimist :)

Damini, if you do decide to leave, reactivate or create a Mid/Pryd account and drop by to say hi. I'll arrange an outing. You may cry at the end, but you'll shit conkers laughing before you do. I'm sure some of our luminaries will log on specially, even those that pretend to be far to busy with other things (I'm maybe the loudest on these forums but believe me, of the 3 around the Vasud Bindstone that formed Fedaykin my wit is by far the least).

I seem to remember you were a tincan, but what the hey, you can be an honourary Mid for a bit :) If you want to log on Alb, then just meet somewhere on frontier. I can say something in a language you won't understand.

Glaswegian :D

Belsameth: top quote. My actual favourite of his referred to original thought, but not relevant here. Well, maybe.

Funny though, quoting is easy - actually thinking seems to be somewhat harder. Do quotes crystalise our own thoughts or merely shape and influence them? Going off topic now.

Babbling again. Er, So I'll stop.

R

Roo Stercogburn

<-- muppet. Can't be bothered to explain why. What the hell, you've been around here somewhat, you probably already know :D

D

Damini

My hdd blew up, and dragged the baby avatar with it into the dark beyond :( I've got some programmes waiting to be tried out to see if anything can be salvaged from the smoking pile of evil that is my old drive, but it's not looking optimistic, so it seems Baby Damini might be lost forever (as well as lots of people's e-mails, and ALL my writing! I'm a total spanner, and made no back ups. Learn from my foolishness people!)

And I ought to slap you Roo. Tin can? Moi? I was Mid/Pryd thank you very much! A skald with one leg longer than the other and a voice like she was raised on brillo pads and tequila. Oh, and I was also a troll called Petal. A lumbering hulk of feminine charm.

Edit:// You may remember me from such charming incidents as: Damini Got Stuck In A Wall For Four Days, And Became A Tourist Attraction, or alternatively Damini Panicked And Punched The Badger Because She Thought He Looked Menacing And Subsequently Got Her Whole Party Wiped Out.

O

old.Kerosene

I think I speak for pretty much the whole of the community when I say..

Bugger.

Good luck with getting your stuff back. I had it happen once too lost a hell of a lot of stuff (including 3 months R&D for my company which I was secretly beavering away on) :(

I am not sending another bloody email to you coz I've sent about 16 for various things so I'll just post here,

Sign me up.

T

Thundercall

had the same thing once too,... I remember that the computer booted and said:
"non-system disk or disk error replace and press any key."

I pushed the button to the floppy but there were no disk inside it,... hell, lost 3 years of 3D projects... but that were a long time ago and i haven't had any problems ever since,...

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Roo Stercogburn
Belsameth: top quote. My actual favourite of his referred to original thought, but not relevant here. Well, maybe.

Funny though, quoting is easy - actually thinking seems to be somewhat harder. Do quotes crystalise our own thoughts or merely shape and influence them? Going off topic now.

Hijacking is bad manners, I know and I'm awefully sorry! :)

Interesting question.
I think quotes can do various things.
tehy can put words to thoughts/feelings you already had, but didn't know how to express.
sometimes quoting makes it easier to say stuff, because you're using somebody elses words, even tho they come from your own heart and sometimes others say it so much better then you ever could...
Lastly, tho I would never do that :)p), it can be be used to muddie up the fact that you just insulted someone :D

A

Aussie-

Edit:// You may remember me from such charming incidents as: Damini Got Stuck In A Wall For Four Days, And Became A Tourist Attraction, or alternatively Damini Panicked And Punched The Badger Because She Thought He Looked Menacing And Subsequently Got Her Whole Party Wiped Out.

wow you can be funny too, what a mod.. all in 1! :D

A

Aussie-

Originally posted by Belsameth
so we're nazi's who'll put "abusers" in the gass chaimber, while it's ok for everybody to shout die IRL at eachother...
anyone who takes these insults as a personal attack shouldn't be allowed to play on the inet.
I can't believe there are people that actually get upset from words from a guy/girl he has never seen or heard about.

B

Belsameth

you can think of people who get upset over them what you want, the fact remains that people DO get upset.
besides that, just because this is a forum doesn't mean all forms of manners can be thrown out the window.
or do you perhaps always ask people to Die IRL when they disagree with you? :)

M

murazor

If people are baiting Mods deliberately...kick em.

As for Stasi informers in each forum...pleeeese. Some idiot flaming is all part of the experience. Unleashing the self righteous upon us poor sinners seems unnecesscary. Who the hell volunteers to spy on their fellow players? Says more about them than the forum imho ...

D

Damini

Some idiot flaming is part of the experience, yes, sadly you are going to get people HITTING CAPS BECOS U DID TAKE OUR RELICS AT 5 AM AND I AM GREY AND U R A COWARD AND BUUUUUUURN, but some people still take it even further, and there's no reason we should have to tolerate that. If people must do it, and its just "part and parcel of being online" then they can find somewhere else to do it online.

And I think its rather sad you see it is a network of informers. If you look at any post, in the corner is a button that says "report this post to a moderator". Thats the way this forum moderates, the mods interact with reported posts people make - we rely on community feedback. It's not as if we are setting up a new system, all we are doing is asking people in each community (who understand the community better than us mods who might interact with it but not be immersed in it) to liase with mods to keep us up to date, nudge us if they think we've missed something, raise suggestions for new forums and to raise any concerns or queries. It's just a very informal idea to open up lines of communication between the mods and the different communities they moderate. Personally, I see it being used very little but there if the need arises.

We're not guaranteed to do anything or react to anything that is said to us, but I personally think its good to listen, regardless.

T

Tesla Monkor

I don't really understand why people see it as a problem. Don't you want people who post off-topic junk and insult others gone from this place?

The whole discussion is rather ludicrous, and comparing people helping out to nazi's doesn't help your position much either. In the end it is still the mod that decides what happens to a thead/post/poster, not the person who attends them to it.

Users who are viewing this thread