DAoC Forum announcement

D

Damini

DAoC announcement

Ok, it's time to lay down some new ground rules and also discuss some possible changes to the way we run things around here.

Recently, there has been a marked increase in what I consider mod baiting posts - people being obnoxious and angry after being asked not to QQ sixteen times in a row, or people deliberately repeating an action after a warning in order to test how a mod will react.

Mod Baiting WILL NOT be tolerated.

If you are seen to be deliberately antagonising a moderator or trying to make them jump through hoops of fire for whatever reason, its very likely you will end up banned. If you disagree with a warning, fine, you can say so and explain why, god knows occasionally we make mistakes and have even (shock, horror) been known to apologise if we get it wrong. If a warning is given though and you deliberately set out to repeat that action to test the resolve of a moderator though you are making a mistake. Doing this role takes enough time as it is without having to change the nappies of people who deliberately poo themselves to see how long it takes before we whip out the wet wipes.

DIE IRL

This phrase has no place on the forums. Telling people to die or similar levels on insulting will get your account banned. Read the CoC in case you are in any doubt as to why we don't really want people bumbling about with heartfelt urges of terminal disease on people. Yes, people flame here, people get wound up, but that's the way the internet sadly works. You're playing a game that deliberately pits people against people, and some individuals can't just sit back and treat it light heartedly. We can't moderate people's personalities, so you are going to get the people who HIT CAPSLOCK AND TYPE HATE NINETEEN TIMES IN A ROW WHILST BLEEDING FROM THE NOSE if you kill them in game. It's up to you how you respond to that. However, before you respond, read the CoC. Wishing people dead is a disgusting stain on your character and on our forums, and we don't want it here.

Please report posts that you feel are unsuitable for the forums

We do rely on the community helping us out by reporting posts. These forums are large and "lively" (being a euthanism for occasionally feral) and it's not possible for us mods to ensure we read every single post. Please don't hesitate to report something is it concerns you.

And now for something completely different...

We have a plan. Ok, it might not be an excellent plan, I doubt very much that its the type of thing Hannibal would have come up with while disguised as a woman and smoking a fat cigar, but its a plan none the less.

We're contemplating an Eyes and Ears system for the forums.

It would go a little something like this:

Each realm would have its own voluntary eyes and ears - this person would just keep a general eye on the forum they are most attached to, report posts, and liase with a mod if anything concerns them. It just means we will have people we trust to keep any eye on things in each little sub forum.

What would I get out of this I hear you ask?

Well... erm... to be honest, the company car is a long way off, and the sheriff's badges are actually just old milk bottle tops, so I'm afraid there isn't much to tempt you with beyond the old tit bits of helping out the community. Come christmas, you might end up with a hugely inappropriate custom title, but realistically it's just something for the people who want to help out the community without the bludgeoning headaches, hate mail and sheer stress of being a mod.

We realise the forums sometimes get a little, well, school playground like, and we really want to crack down on that whilst still letting people enjoy themselves.

We don't want to go all nazi, and I know that sadly just by posting this thread about trying to improve things I'm going to get roasted alive because that's the nature of the job, but that's the way it goes.

Any feedback, responses, I'd be glad to hear from you.

A

Addlcove

MARRY ME!

doh sorry couldn´t resist.

I´ll take the E&E for creative if you´d like :)

O

old.TeaSpoon

Always happy to keep an eye on the odd forum or two :)

And its nice to see a little law and order :)

D

Damini

Well, some people we'll be approaching, and we'd also love some volunteers, so if anyone is up for doing this can they e-mail me at damini@bleedingego.co.uk with what forum they most regularly read and their user name and we can see if we come up with enough people to make this work.

Thanks guys.

C

chretien

ooh! oooh! deputise me! deputise meeee!

please?

B

Belsameth

Don't forget to include your forum name for a full background scan :)

C

cHodAX

Great post and great idea. No I am not angling for a job ;)

A

Aussie-

newest sport: get ppl banned
eviltongue.gif

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Aussie-
newest sport: get ppl banned
eviltongue.gif

wrong way to look at it.
Help make the forum a better place, is a more possitive aproach.
or do you enjoy the way flames are completely out of control now? :)

F

Flimgoblin

either way - it's not you getting them banned.... they're getting themselves banned. You're not making them post these things ;)

If someone starts mod-baiting or flaming or asking people to die there's a good chance we'll find it of our own accord - just means that not everyone on the forum has to put up with the crap for as long as that takes :)

T

the_fnord

Great idea Damini! :clap:
Way to much pointless flaming and namecalling etc. ... it usually make me close down BW and go farm post on the alliance forum instead! =|
I'd sign up for E&E! :D

S

'Shy

Hurrar! Always wanted to know what E&E meant but was too afraid to ask!

O

old.ivan

Originally posted by Belsameth
Don't forget to include your forum name for a full background scan :)

Its teh MI5 trying to gather intell on us - poor DaoC players, i tell ya !! dont fall for this trick.
j/k

Good idea, although mods are doing a good job as it is tbh. Hope the selected few wont do "Respect mah autorotah !" lines too often :)

O

old.Tzeentch

pft.

going a bit too far i think.

and im not even remotely one of these people who just flame mods for no reason or bait them or whatever.

provide the forums, allow people to speak, and ban people who disrupt that opportunity in my opinion. that's all i think you guys should be looking to do.

D

Damini

I don't see how its going too far?

All we're requesting is to have people from each forum who contact us if they think we may have missed something, or if they are concerned over an issue, or to report threads in case nobody has already. It's just a way to get better communication between mods and the community. These people won't have the power to ban or edit, just to have a say. It's a big community, with many sub communities, and this is just a way to make sure nothing gets left by the wayside.

Also, its very likely that I'm going to be leaving soon (and I know I've said this before but this time it's looking like it's actually going to happen) and before I do I'd like to set up a system to make everyone's life easier.

O

old.Kerosene

um.. the mods are the community too unless you don't play DAoC any more in which case you shouldn't be a mod.

O

old.Tzeentch

That's cool damini, but i dont like the beginning of banning phrases and whatever.. before you know it, we wont be allowed to swear or anything.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by old.Kerosene
um.. the mods are the community too unless you don't play DAoC any more in which case you shouldn't be a mod.

Flimgoblin and Tilda re the only ones actually playing DAoC, which in my opinion is a good thing, otherwise you´d might get biased mods.

D

Damini

Originally posted by old.Kerosene

I used to play when I was made a mod, and I don't anymore. Myself and Brinx moderated for a long time without being active players, and I don't think we did a bad job. We balanced it out by recruiting active players to mod too. The point being made, anyway, was that there are many sub communities (for example, each realm on each server) and it would be nice to get a representative from each one just so we can keep our fingers on the pulse a bit better. We do read through every forum, but that doesn't give you the same level of understanding as being active in each community, does it?

and Tzeentch, I don't like the beginning of banning phases either, but what has happened is this:

We've tried the nice approach, privately sending warnings to people and so on, and what has happened is a small group of people now see the mods as a soft touch, and are acting to deliberately provoke the mods, test the boundaries, and act like they can get away with murder. I get threads like "In defiance of a mod warning!!" and "I know this WTT thread will disappear when a mod sees it, but until then...", threads publicly quoting private warnings and so on, which just isn't a good situation at all. If people think they can keep pushing the mods further and further and get away with it, then some people will. I'm afraid the time has come to draw the line in the sand. We're very reasonable, but some people has taken that fact and abused it, and that's why the bannings have occured. Can you honestly imagine any other large forum that would let people get away with this behaviour? Not really. The same rules apply as before, the same moderation applies as before, but we're just not going to tolerate people taking the piss anymore.

O

old.Tzeentch

Actually I do know of one of the largest forums around that have virtually little to no moderation, and it works.. well, well enough.. :)

But I understand your point.. just a shame I think.

R

Rubric

I think its a good idea.

Getting some people in to monitor the forums who are not part of the clique would make a mods job easier and also some of the posts that go un-noticed for whatever reason will be picked up. A win win situation for the community imo.

As someone who did antogonise Brinx (albeit only once imo & paid a price for it) i have never been able to understand how some people get away with what they do. Hopefully this will go some way to make it a fairer & pleasenter place to be.

On another note Damini im sure you will be missed and good luck in whatever you do.

Edit: Any room for a poacher turned game keeper? :D

C

Cyradix

So you just have to report threads to the real mods? Sounds easy enough :D

Users who are viewing this thread