DAOC 2 !!! ITS COMING WOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'm not jaded, and or bitter. I loved DAOC when it was good. It's been bad for years though, mostly due to the neck beard population. The basic game itself is still very good, the players are trash.

DAOC had 300k players before the guy that is (ironically) asking for people to stump up some money, got his hands on it. He was responsible for TOA, he was responsible for WAR being terrible. The man is a first class wally.

No, I will be keeping a more optomistic eye on Matt Firor's effort.

Anyway, it's most likely vapourware so none of this really matters.

Everz

FH is my second home
I'm not jaded, and or bitter. I loved DAOC when it was good. It's been bad for years though, mostly due to the neck beard population. The basic game itself is still very good, the players are trash.

DAOC had 300k players before the guy that is (ironically) asking for people to stump up some money, got his hands on it. He was responsible for TOA, he was responsible for WAR being terrible. The man is a first class wally.

No, I will be keeping a more optomistic eye on Matt Firor's effort.

Anyway, it's most likely vapourware so none of this really matters.

ToA was a good design, but it went out Beta far to early which caused numerous issues. Personally I think the nail in the coffin for DAoC will always be NF, I've said it before but you must remember opening week on Excalibur? Half the server went because it was awfully designed, at least ToA OF was still great fun once the encounters will figured out.

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
ToA was a good design, but it went out Beta far to early which caused numerous issues. Personally I think the nail in the coffin for DAoC will always be NF, I've said it before but you must remember opening week on Excalibur? Half the server went because it was awfully designed, at least ToA OF was still great fun once the encounters will figured out.

Agreed on toa + OF.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
TOA was terrible in every way. One month after it was released half my guild had left. One month was probably about how long you were forced to PvE for if you wanted MLs and levelled artifacts.

Starwind

Can't get enough of FH
Why go the crowdfunding route?

“It’s not that I hate publishers,” said Jacobs. “I don’t. I don’t even hate EA. But I don’t want to be put in a situation where I have to compromise [the game's vision]. … If I have enough people who are fans of the game, that they want to support it, then the Kickstarter will succeed and other investments will come in to make up the bulk. Because that’s something that’s really important for the players and backers to understand — their funding is not making the entire game.

“I’ve already committed funds, and I’ve got other funds coming in which I’ll detail before the Kickstarter launches. The amount that we’re seeking on Kickstarter is essentially proof of support, that we know that the players want this kind of game and they’re willing to pay — some of them [at least]; hopefully, there will be more that back the Kickstarter — in advance to help the project.”

Jacobs has been closely monitoring successful crowdfunding campaigns on Kickstarter (including products outside of video games) to see what he could learn before launching one for his studio’s new MMO. As a way of drumming up awareness, he’s going to write a series of blog posts leading up to the Kickstarter, where he’ll outline the so-called “foundational principles” of the game to give potential backers an idea of what the studio is envisioning for Camelot Unchained.

Of course, crowdfunding doesn’t work for everyone. If the campaign fails to meet its funding goal, City State Entertainment will simply scrap the project altogether.

“If the Kickstarter doesn’t work, then it doesn’t work, and I know that support for this kind of game isn’t there,” said Jacobs. “We’re not seeking $10 million or $100 million or anything like that. We’re seeking an amount that, when you look at other Kickstarter [campaigns] that have been successful, is on the higher end of the initial ask but is not as high as what other folks have gotten. So we’ll see. It’s gonna be fascinating to see what happens.”

Source :

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/05/mark-jacobs-camelot-unchained-announcement/

Everz

FH is my second home
TOA was terrible in every way. One month after it was released half my guild had left. One month was probably about how long you were forced to PvE for if you wanted MLs and levelled artifacts.

That just because Prydweiners had no bottle ;).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
That just because Prydweiners had no bottle ;).

No, its because Prydwen had terrible lag for ages after TOA release and GOA refused to fix it, only happened in TOA and everyone on Prydwen had it, GOA just kept denying everything like they always did and eventually fixed it months later.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I can't recall suffering any major lag in ToA. And if i did it wasn't bad enough to remember. :)

Everz

FH is my second home
Why'd Prydwen have terrible lag and Excalibur not? I know you were the bastard son of the English servers, but still.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
how could you not :p it totally sucked.
It only really affected big battles in RvR. Can remember suffering several freeze frames and LD's in a defence at Bold one. Had to walk away for an hour or I would have thrown the comp out the window :)

If they put the servers in France for EU then they can fuck right off, I won't play it. GoA were a useless bunch of arseholes at running the EU side of the game. Only place they ever promoted was in France.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Excal was the bigger zerger, but (at least on the Hib side) they seemed far more roleplayer-esque over there.

Prydwen were the roleplayers, hence the popular term "Go back to Prydwen and roleplay there" :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It only really affected big battles in RvR. Can remember suffering several freeze frames and LD's in a defence at Bold one. Had to walk away for an hour or I would have thrown the comp out the window :)

If they put the servers in France for EU then they can fuck right off, I won't play it. GoA were a useless bunch of arseholes at running the EU side of the game. Only place they ever promoted was in France.

Nah there was definately lag in early TOA for prydwen players, might have only been for mids I can't remember but it was definately there, was 1-2 second lag on casting.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Excalibur had long periods of lag too. Most of the lag was caused by France's 1990's internet structure, rather than GOA's fault (even though France telecom and GOA were basically the same company)
GOA still refused to even acknowledge there was any lag though, they probably tested it in the same building as the server, knowing them.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie

ToA was the nail for me. Bar none. I could have dealt easily with many things, but I did not fancy the added grind by ToA. Now it wasn't enough to just SC equipment (99%/MC) - now you also needed some artifacts, which needed scrolls, and levelling and Master Levels and ...... well, the sum of it just became way too much.

That's why I spend more time in NF on DAoC classic on US servers than I did in ToA on EU servers. I did prefer OF by far though, although there were some improvements in NF as well.

Everz

FH is my second home
ToA was the nail for me. Bar none. I could have dealt easily with many things, but I did not fancy the added grind by ToA. Now it wasn't enough to just SC equipment (99%/MC) - now you also needed some artifacts, which needed scrolls, and levelling and Master Levels and ...... well, the sum of it just became way too much.

That's why I spend more time in NF on DAoC classic on US servers than I did in ToA on EU servers. I did prefer OF by far though, although there were some improvements in NF as
well.

It was done incorrectly at the time but once the encounters were 'fixed' and the methods of doing them figured out I found the game to be extremely enjoyable. The grind wasn't that bad, and as a guild we did run artifacts regularly to gear everyone up (it helped we had an Animist army ofc).

It added more to the game imo and once it settled down it was fine. NF was horrid.. laggy, portal to every keep, awful action and just plain boring. Guild went downhill from that point, to where come Catacombs you were lucky to have 3-4 logging in on the regular.

Different opinions I guess :p.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
All the dirty tricks, shady business and politics aside; I actually think this sounds fresh and interesting. At least i'll sign up to the newsletter and keep an eye on it for the future. Any game that succesfully adapts the main foundation of which DAoC was built on I am willing to try. Not necessarily because of rose-tinted nostalgia glasses or vain hopes of DAoC 2, but because I really enjoyed the game mechanics and the basic idea of the game.

Also, in this depressing MMO-world of today, what is there to lose?

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I am gonna watch, wait and see on this. I've take my own perspective on games, if I find it to be shit, I'll tell ya, if it's good I'll tell ya, but that's just an opinion. Doesn't mean you have to take my word on it. From what I see this has promise, but I take that word lightly given the somewhat fail management of daoc in its years after OF. So suck it and see is basically what I read from between the lines on this one :)

MrBic

Part of the furniture
september 2015 is what Mark Jacobs tought would be a early release. IF he could hire loads of new employees he tought that it might release late 2014 at best

MrBic

Part of the furniture
no realm ranks. there will be some sort of realm progression tho. damn MJ can talk a long time about nothing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom