Daily Mail

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If the fact that it's the Mail doesn't clue you in to the fact that this story is bullshit,
Daily Mail said:
Social networking sites such as Facebook could raise your risk of serious health problems by reducing levels of face-to-face contact, a doctor claims.
that will. Journalism at it's finest.

edit: The next line points out he's a psychologist, not even an MD!

Jesus, that paper really is chock full of aids.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well it's no news that text messaging, mobile phones, facebooks, interets etc reduce social interaction. It's a fact, no going around it. But...

Noone takes into consideration how it HELPS people. Those who would otherwise be shut-ins, socially scared etc, will find MMOs, chat channels, facebooks and other such things easier to use and to some young "nerds"(you know, those you picked on in school) will use it as a social stepping stone.

I'd say if we have to choose between lowered social interaction and some people downright being cut off from the society, f*ck total social interaction.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ive not read it whats the point its bullshit lol. if anything facebook and MMO's increase your social interaction, dunno bout others but ive made plenty of friends on facebook who i now go out with on nights out etc. hell ive even got romantically involved with people off the net people i wouldnt have thought id have a chance with if id seen them in a bar.

im not the most confident of people when it comes to women and i know theres plenty more out there like me. facebook is a lifeline and frankly it should be law that everyone is on it :p

more doom mongering from the mail. but its nothing new is it afterall all us people behind the computers are fat obese geeks obsessed with games and have no jobs lol

anyway off for a quick wash then off to gym before work :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Jesus, that paper really is chock full of aids.

Wait a minute; the Daily Mail can give me aids? Then it must be full of asylum seekers because they all have aids, right? And if its full of asylum seekers then they must dole scroungers as well. Now everyone knows 99% of pedos are dole scroungers (it says so in the Daily Mail), so that means the Daily Mail is full of dole-scrounging, asylum seeking pedos who have aids! We need to think of the children! Some responsible newspaper should get this story out there! I'll call the Daily Mail.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
so that means the Daily Mail is full of dole-scrounging, asylum seeking pedos who have aids! We need to think of the children!

Hmm...pedo-scroungers. That's a new one :D

Chipper kind of proved what i said.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I bet it was that turd doctor off You Are What You Eat who made the claims. Shes a proper doctor don't cha know, her certificate was all paid for and everything.

Poag

m00?
As an aside to the Facebook cancer.

Daily Mail appear to be in financial troubles. I mean, i ordered my shopping delivery from tesco last week. The guy arrived and thrust this 'Free Daily Mail' into my hands.

I was talking to the guy for a bit and aparently they had been given lorry loads to take out with them and hand out as freebies and would be daily for a couple of weeks.

Make of it what you will but once you get something for free than previously wasn't...its a bad sign.

Macey

Fledgling Freddie
Robin - Daily Mail reader (and possibly writer??) said:
I think the real issue people are forgetting here is that using Facebook MUST be having some effect on house prices?

- Robin, Rhondda Valley, Wales, 19/2/2009

I hope that guy is joking...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Fuck me, who edits their website? I don't think I've ever seen so much use of the passive voice.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well it's no news that text messaging, mobile phones, facebooks, interets etc reduce social interaction. It's a fact, no going around it. But...

Noone takes into consideration how it HELPS people. Those who would otherwise be shut-ins, socially scared etc, will find MMOs, chat channels, facebooks and other such things easier to use and to some young "nerds"(you know, those you picked on in school) will use it as a social stepping stone.

I'd say if we have to choose between lowered social interaction and some people downright being cut off from the society, f*ck total social interaction.

With well researched facts like these, you really should be working for the Mail.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
With well researched facts like these, you really should be working for the Mail.

Well you can't say that text messaging etc, instant messaging doesn't reduce the need for socializing face to face, atleast a bit.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Way to discuss, two points and a teddybear for you.

But, here's an example for you;

Before MSN and other instant messaging, you would have to atleast call someone. Most likely, one would meet for coffe etc.
With instant messaging, the need isn't that big.

Ofcourse we have to take into consideration how much instant messaging increases interaction in whole, which is why it's good to read someones post completely.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Way to discuss, two points and a teddybear for you.

But, here's an example for you;

Before MSN and other instant messaging, you would have to atleast call someone. Most likely, one would meet for coffe etc.
With instant messaging, the need isn't that big.

Ofcourse we have to take into consideration how much instant messaging increases interaction in whole, which is why it's good to read someones post completely.
Honestly, the reason I didn't come back with a valid argument is that arguing with you is the most pointless waste of time ever. You frequently put opinions as fact, and refuse to acknowledge this. I've tried to engage you in rational discussions before but you're clearly incapable.

"Most likely, one would meet for coffee." Opinion.
"With instant messaging, the need isn't that big." Opinion.

Notice I said "opinion" not "false". It's entirely possible that they have some base in reality, but you're just going by what you think is real and deciding it has some relevance in the real world. But then you are religious so I guess that just speaks to your overall mindset.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Honestly, the reason I didn't come back with a valid argument is that arguing with you is the most pointless waste of time ever. You frequently put opinions as fact, and refuse to acknowledge this. I've tried to engage you in rational discussions before but you're clearly incapable.

Well, then show me wrong perhaps? Tell me how it's impossible for instant messaging and such to decrease social need a bit.

This time you're just assuming i agree with the linked material, when clearly i gave a bothsided argument on the matter. Aka, doing the exact same thing you accuse me of.

I accept many things, i accept when i'm wrong when shown so(saying you're wrong isn't "showing") and i'd think i'd rather be stubborn about something then use a cop-out as such to not even discuss things.

Claiming i don't use facts when you're not using any is hypocritical blame.

I said "it's a fact BUT", meaning, "take into consideration the following". Did you? No. So stop blaiming me.

Ofcourse it's an OPINION, it's the internet, it being an opinion is given. If you said "the sky is blue, fact" it would be taken as an opinion.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ooo... bloody hell, I swore I wasn't gunna get involved in another absurd argument with you.

And I shan't.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, cop out, go ahead, be a dick.
I've no idea why I'm compelled to respond but here it is.

Put yourself in my position. You're having a discussion/argument with someone who is incapable of a logical rational train of thought. Pointing out the logical fallacies in his argument results in a point blank denial of any incorrect statements and it all ends with "you simply couldn't prove me wrong". That way leads only to frustration. Now naturally you don't agree that this person is you, but I can assure you that's who you are. This isn't a cop out, this is an attempt to maintain my sanity by not arguing with someone who lacks the ability to argue.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
I'm confused, why does instant messaging rather than making a phone call reduce the likelihood of meeting for coffee?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I've no idea why I'm compelled to respond but here it is.

Put yourself in my position. You're having a discussion/argument with someone who is incapable of a logical rational train of thought. Pointing out the logical fallacies in his argument results in a point blank denial of any incorrect statements and it all ends with "you simply couldn't prove me wrong". That way leads only to frustration. Now naturally you don't agree that this person is you, but I can assure you that's who you are. This isn't a cop out, this is an attempt to maintain my sanity by not arguing with someone who lacks the ability to argue.

How about you put yourself in my position:

You try to have a discussion with someone, but due to previous misunderstanding, harsh words or other pointless issues, the person point blank REFUSES to discuss it and claims to be a psyhologist who knows your deepest behaviour traits.

I never say "you couldn't prove me wrong" and i dare for you to show me an example where that is even remotely close.

Maybe the "problem" isn't as one-sided as you think?

For example, you grasped at ONE WORD in my original post. One. One use of the word fact that even had an added "but read this" to it.

I don't lack the "ability to discuss", i may have been on opposing sides of opinions on one or two occasions, but you, point blank refusing talking about things, are the one lacking in that department.

I'm confused, why does instant messaging rather than making a phone call reduce the likelihood of meeting for coffee?

It doesn't, the instant messaging reduces the need for a phonecall as you can talk things free over the net. When making a phonecall, or if you want to discuss things in length, it usually meant a coffee or meeting in general. With instant messaging, you can have hours long discussions without that need.

And like i said, would have to consider how much more people talk using instant messaging in general.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The Daily Mail is for snotty middle aged twats who think they are posh because they are buying the Daily Mail.

I still remember so snot nosed **** asking me in Tesco 'why do you buy The Sun it doesn't have anything intelligent to read' i replied 'because i fucking want to you cheeky nosey twat'.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
It doesn't, the instant messaging reduces the need for a phonecall as you can talk things free over the net. When making a phonecall, or if you want to discuss things in length, it usually meant a coffee or meeting in general. With instant messaging, you can have hours long discussions without that need.

And like i said, would have to consider how much more people talk using instant messaging in general.

I can talk for free over my phone just as easily as I can over instant messaging. I still don't see how making a phone call means meeting for coffee is anymore likely than if I had used instant messaging.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
the gaurdian is for snotty middle aged twats who think they are posh because they are buying the gaurdian.

I still remember so snot nosed **** asking me in tesco 'why do you buy the sun it doesn't have anything intelligent to read' i replied 'i like tits'.

fyp.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I can talk for free over my phone just as easily as I can over instant messaging. I still don't see how making a phone call means meeting for coffee is anymore likely than if I had used instant messaging.

Don't get hung up on the step by step to coffee.

If you want to talk for hours to someone, about, something, i dunno..stuff...isn't it easier now to fire up the conversation in MSN then to meet somewhere?

It's not a if/or case, just saying it's easier to talk now and as such, there's also LESS of a NEED to see eachother.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
It's not a if/or case, just saying it's easier to talk now and as such, there's also LESS of a NEED to see eachother.

It's deffo easier. But I'd personally (especially after where I am now) rather go for a coffee, I can take 1-2h out of my schedule for talking with a friend. Though, it's really fucking hard to go AFK -and not come back- in real life.. -_-

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's deffo easier. But I'd personally (especially after where I am now) rather go for a coffee, I can take 1-2h out of my schedule for talking with a friend. Though, it's really fucking hard to go AFK -and not come back- in real life.. -_-

Yeah it's not like i'm saying "people don't go for coffee anymore because of instant messaging!" :lol:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I don't know about anyone else but I hate talking on the phone, and I don't care much for IRC-style chat either. I'd much rather speak in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom