Fact ~Curiosity~ Mars landing 6 August

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Brilliant, delighed for them.

As for manned missions to anywhere, well it just isn't going to happen for a multitude of reasons but the biggest is the effect that zero G for prolonged periods has on the human body. Any landing in a thin atmoshpere would likely be hellish and kill the astronaughts off. Space travel will only ever become really viable once we have ships that can generate even a weak artifical gravity field.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm thinking they'll go with the g-suit approach with that, since they have to suit up the folk for the mission anyway. Then there's the problem of making a ship to get people there and land at all. Well, it'll always land as mentioned before :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
This dude's hair cracks me up. Full on elvis :D He'a also a fucking genius.
157997859.jpg

rynnor

Rockhound
Fantastic - only shame is how long its going to take to get the interesting data but you cant have everything. Will we find traces of ancient life on mars?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This dude's hair cracks me up. Full on elvis :D He'a also a fucking genius.
157997859.jpg

I like this guy a lot. He's the sort of guy that people in my workplace would look at and say "look at his hair, how unprofessional".

He and his team just landed a rover on Mars - tell me about what shit-for-brains work you've done this morning.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I like this guy a lot. He's the sort of guy that people in my workplace would look at and say "look at his hair, how unprofessional".

He and his team just landed a rover on Mars - tell me about what shit-for-brains work you've done this morning.

Well, i design games, so in a way i keep these guys entertained when they need a break from bettering the world :D

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I would love that sort of job, get paid to play around with billions of dollars worth of toys and then land something the size of a mini on a different planet. Amazing achievement. I can't wait to see some of the results.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Fuck man, NASA are the special forces of human engineers. They put a fucking car on mars in one piece, in style. Americans should be more positive about themselves and focus on the good shit they do.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If they dropped the whole military overkill(which i know advances tech as we know it in leaps too), we'd get a lot more done spacewise.

Then again, would be prudent to fix the planet before we f*ck up others.

Chilly

Balls of steel
If they dropped the whole military overkill(which i know advances tech as we know it in leaps too), we'd get a lot more done spacewise.

Then again, would be prudent to fix the planet before we f*ck up others.
I doubt it, the USAF are putting stuff into space, pushing technology forward at quite a pace.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We probably wouldn't.

The only reason we are in space is because of military technology, primarily the invention and development of rocket motors but also to a lesser extent, trajectory analysis, navigation systems etc

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
True, but we could drop it now and focus on non killing stuff. You don't have to have war to advance tech, even if war does advance tech.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Necessity is the mother of invention. For anything American necessity is just another word for Paranoia.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I hope Curiosity isn't sending broken images back to Earth. What a waste of time that would be. :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Does the rover have a twitter account? @ mars?

"Like sand everywhere, totes craycray."

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

more people who look normal tbh. espesh in the UK. power to all the brill people who refuse the corporate armor!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
If there are cats on mars will Curiosity kill them and cause an interplanetary war?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The Cat is already dead, it's the Red Planet because their blood stained the surface when it was spilled by Pluto.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
lies, the cat is both alive and dead :p we have to wait for Higgs manipulation to see what it is, exactly!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Did I read somewhere Obama isn't a massive fan of NASA?

rynnor

Rockhound
We probably wouldn't.

The only reason we are in space is because of military technology, primarily the invention and development of rocket motors but also to a lesser extent, trajectory analysis, navigation systems etc

You missed out spy sats - those things have been key since the beginning.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The parachute should have had the stars and stripes on top. That would have been excellent.

Amazing achievement though, fancy pointing a satellite orbiting another planet in the right direction to capture the landing of a probe that's just arrived from elsewhere in the solar system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom