Fact ~Curiosity~ Mars landing 6 August

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Next week, NASA will put a billion-dollar robot on Mars.

mars-surface.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18933037

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_two_england/watchlive

rynnor

Rockhound
Next week, NASA will attempt to put a billion-dollar robot on Mars.

Fixed that for you - they have something like a 30% chance of sucess.

Tbh I think their approach may be wrong - rather than putting all your eggs in one very expensive basket why not split it between a dozen cheap modules - each with only limited capabilities but greatly increasing your chances of at least something surviving the martian landing.

rynnor

Rockhound
I'm watching the Horizon docu on iplayer now. Its wheels don't look big enough. They want it to climb over the terrain. It looks like it will fall to pieces. I hope I'm wrong.

That would be a partial sucess though - the most likely failure is that it doesnt survive the landing.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The fact that they're expected to lose ALL contact till it hits the ground was a fun read. Scariest 2 minutes of all time.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Watching Horizon now, seems massively ambitious.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

Tbh I think their approach may be wrong - rather than putting all your eggs in one very expensive basket why not split it between a dozen cheap modules - each with only limited capabilities but greatly increasing your chances of at least something surviving the martian landing.

At a guess - because we've landed small landers on Mars before and they can only collect limited feedback - most of which we have. If we want to learn more we need to send something more capable?

Sar

Part of the furniture
It'll break inside of a week. Nasa are worse at building things than MFI.

Hope not though, would be cool to get some decent info back from Mars, given we'll go there inside 20 years or so.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture

As long as it's aimed at the planet, one way or another, it will land. :flame:
The question is if it lands safely without damage. As Wash said in 'Serenity'...

Serenity said:
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: Well, if she doesn't get us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn-through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting."
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [Deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: [Grabs PA microphone] This is the captain. We're having a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.
[Hangs up microphone]
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Can you shave the vector?
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: I'm doing it, it's not enough.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Well, just get us on the ground.
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: That part'll happen pretty definitely.

rynnor

Rockhound
Sar said:
Hope not though, would be cool to get some decent info back from Mars, given we'll go there inside 20 years or so.

No chance - ignoring the huge technical issues there just isnt the political will and NASA funds are way too low.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I don't know, it'd only take about 6/7 years of dedicated work to actually pull it off. And what with fossil fuels running out within the next 40 years, we have to go start raping other planets for their resources. Well, big business would love that to happen anyway. "Electric Cars? But we can't charge them an arm and a leg for the electricity?!"

rynnor

Rockhound
Sar said:
I don't know, it'd only take about 6/7 years of dedicated work to actually pull it off. And what with fossil fuels running out within the next 40 years, we have to go start raping other planets for their resources. Well, big business would love that to happen anyway. "Electric Cars? But we can't charge them an arm and a leg for the electricity?!"

Technical issues

Enormous payload - your talking years of mission time so enormous amounts of food required + a lead shielded room for various forms of radiation they will encounter en route + fuel + a lander module and some form of mars rover.

Just transporting all that into orbit somewhere ( probably need a new ISS) is going to take years then youll need to assemble the mars spacecraft in orbit etc. Etc.

Medical issues - years in 0 g followed by crushing landing = not good.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What a stupid waste of money that could have been better spent on wars and funding right-wing loony presidential candidates.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Medical issues - years in 0 g followed by crushing landing = not good.

Having seen Andre Kuipers land on earth after spending 6 month's in the ISS i can only acknowlage this. Astronauts fainting as they got dragged out of the capsule. Having to leave the press conference 2 days later, because of sickness and still not beeing able to walk on their own. Dangerously low blood presure too. He did send a lot of awesome pictures though.

7438791054_071028336e_o.jpg

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
That sky crane is nuts!

Very ambitious. Very risky. Fingers crossed on a successful landing.

Chilly

Balls of steel
It'll break inside of a week. Nasa are worse at building things than MFI.

You ever tried building something with millions and millions of components? Provided by hundreds of contractors, who all have sub contractors. It's one of the most difficult engineering problems ever undertaken by us humans. I'm damn proud we give it a go.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Until they find a colony of women who say the planet is named Sera, i don't care!

This applies to all space related muguffins really :giggle:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It may seem a bit complicated, but the original viking landers used an equally complicated system back in the 70,s and both landed perfectly, nasa has by far the best sucess on mars and their landers always exceed there expected lifetimes.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Looks like robot wars went to channel 5

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
wall-e has let himself go since he got in a relationship

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Looks a cross between Johnny 5 and a shopmobility.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Go rover..im a geek, i recognise half the control staff.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Just heard on the radio the thing has landed successfully and is already sending back pictures. Amazing achievement. Flight path was perfect, and the crazy landing with the supersonic parachute, sky-crane, and deceleration rocket-boosters all worked perfectly. Bloody well done, NASA

673504main_cheering-43_428-321.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19144464

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom