Couldn't have said it better myself...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
In T1 my dps/self healing was very good. Could easily take on any class 1v1 and certain classes 1v2.
In T2 I found I was able to sustain moderate dps while still keeping the healing up. However my dps and healing stayed about equal. This I found was mainly due to self healing. Though I could help out the RP's and AM's with a bit of back up healing. I wasn't really benefiting the grp very much. 1v1 became harder. I put this down to the fact that other classes had now began to increase their own damage and mitigate mine much better. Towards the end of T2 I found myself being more useful in a full healing roll. Enemy players tended to leave me alone and go for the RP's and AM's because they were considered the easier target. Being able to keep the squishies alive while dps'in the one trying to kill them as well as keeping my grp shielded, HoT'd and burst healed when needed felt a more natural roll for my WP.
Now in T3 I pretty much dropped the whole front line dps and focused on grp healing. There's not always an AM or RP in my grp during a scenario and those times especially I focus on full healing. After all, who will keep the group up if I'm at the front line bashing away trying desperately to keep myself in the game?
I've seen many WP's up front. Playing the part of a mid level dps'er. Mid level healer. But they don't excel at either. The WP's dps falls drasticlly short of any main dps'er and in that particular roll it falls well short of any other healer. So I leave the dps to classes that do it better. Although I do dps when it's needed as I mentioned in my previous post. But a WP can excel well in a full healing roll.

MaelynnF_025.jpg

If you go front-line then yes, it's too hectic to be effective. But if you hang back and whack anything that attacks the support you can be a far far better healer as you lose no healing potential, you gain through the melee-related healing and you don't have to stop to regen your healing bar.

I'm not talking about DPS as such and using the term was somewhat misleading, what i mean is more intelligent situational melee.

Still, no-one can argue with your stats, so as that works for you, keep it up. However, theres only 2 healers in that list and the RP's stats are not great for a lvl 28 also order has a far better mix of classes (not a single destro tank and only 1 marauder vs 2 IB's and 2 SM's and only 1 sorc v 3 BW's makes that easy-mode im afraid) and you had more high levels than destro, so it's a bit skewed. As a level 23 RP i would be embarrassed to come out of a T3 scenario with under 50-60k, 100k+ is not uncommon (my best so far is 146k) and im guessing at 31 i'd be pushing around 200-250k per scenario.

Thimble

Fledgling Freddie
There was a couple of destro tanks. I believe if you were able to scroll down my screeny you'd find a BO and Chosen. But you are right. I never took the time to look at the Destro's set up to any degree. Also Destro had 7 healers where as we had only 2. Had we had more, the figures would be different I'm sure. I do play the offensive when it's needed as I mentioned before. However I don't put myself up there with the melee/tanks. Also this all comes from scenario's. I have yet to run with a fg on stick. But I do believe that in a fg open rvr situation a Salvation spec'd WP has too much group utility to be stuck up with the tank as his/her focused defensive target.

I'm gonna post the rest of this under the Career's section of the forum. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. :(

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
So what now? The best (fan boy) or some of the best (okay boy)?
What group based PvP games have you been playing? And what makes group based PvP in Warhammer so awesome for you?

Most of them.

WAR RvR is "awesome" because I play with a great bunch of guildies and decent players are the core of any game that requires teamwork. Apart from that I like the scenarios, the open RvR, the classes, the lore and the fact that I can play for an hour and actually achieve something in game.

My online gaming experiences with WAR have beaten everything I've played so far.

Don't have anything against different opinions, I often get convinced and support the different opinion then, people who know me, know this.

That's nice. So why post bullshit when you don't agree with someone?

My opinion is not the only one that matters or is correct! I wish this would be true but I am not working towards this utopistic goal which would make me all-knowing (correct) and all-mighty (matters) und ultimately lead me to spending most of my time living on a beach with Jessica Alba-alike-women and drinking delicious Mai Tais (ofc all would be invite to share my new life-style) and maybe developing the best group based PvP MMOG for you.

I doubt that. You still haven't explained why me liking a game makes me a "fan boi".

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Still running 2 Bright Wizards for the awesome tictacs?

This is your argument? Can't you kill Wiz's or something?

Don't want to taunt you, but the key to the game is a mixture of things, tactics and proper set up (with strong classes) among them.

Well, when you're the master of online gaming then I might listen to you. In the meantime I'll just roll with whoever logs on and still enjoy it because we will play to our strengths.
If you can only make a certain setup work then that's your problem.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
There was a couple of destro tanks. I believe if you were able to scroll down my screeny you'd find a BO and Chosen. But you are right. I never took the time to look at the Destro's set up to any degree. Also Destro had 7 healers where as we had only 2. Had we had more, the figures would be different I'm sure. I do play the offensive when it's needed as I mentioned before. However I don't put myself up there with the melee/tanks. Also this all comes from scenario's. I have yet to run with a fg on stick. But I do believe that in a fg open rvr situation a Salvation spec'd WP has too much group utility to be stuck up with the tank as his/her focused defensive target.

I'm gonna post the rest of this under the Career's section of the forum. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. :(

The thread was already hijacked bud, but this is a reasonably interesting exchange imo, you have a different play-style to how i play the WP which makes for a decent discussion.

The only reason for the comment on the screenie was for perspective, i did say and still hold that you do have a valid point in your chosen method of playing the WP.

Merrilow

Fledgling Freddie
(Slightly off topic) I love the way some of the old daoc whiners have carried on their whine from daoc, and are now whining about a game that's been live for barely a month. Whiners will whine regardless of the game they play ;D

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
(Slightly off topic) I love the way some of the old daoc whiners have carried on their whine from daoc, and are now whining about a game that's been live for barely a month. Whiners will whine regardless of the game they play ;D

Don't let the door hit you on the way to the OT-forum.

:kissit:

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
I can only pity the OP. I play a healer and played one in WoW also. My perspective is very different from his.

In WoW ...

- The PvE to 70 is fun, if you enjoy doing decently crafted quests solo

- Post 70 the PvE is not fun at all. It's a loot grind of the sort that hooks many people. Mindlessly running the same raids over and over. It becomes an exercise in endurance (sitting through multi-hour raids), politics (getting into a raiding guild/group and not getting stiffed for loot) and efficiency (right classes, right exploits, etc to make the raid go quicker). I can't believe people stay in WoW to do this boring crap day in day out for years, but sadly it seems a huge number of people are taken in by the "achievement" of getting that next piece of their imaginary suit of armour (which Blizzard promptly sends into obsolencence as soon as enough people have obtained it).

- The BGs in WoW can be fun, but are often characterised by people "HKing" because they are only there to try to get enough honour to buy equipment.

- Arenas are horribly unbalanced. Probably fun if you play the right classes and are in a regular fixed group, but even then the PvP is won by people having the right gear, setting up their qbars and binds just so and installing the right addons. Tactics play a small part and strategy no part at all. It's not a thinkers PvP, because you can win it by following instructions from the web (assuming the first instruction to "spend 6 months raiding every night to get the gear you need" doesn't put you off).

- As a healer in WoW I was targetted by enemies over other targets. Getting in teams or groups still depended on knowing the right people or being in the right guild. Often, as a resto shammie, I was not accepted as the "right sort of healer". This came and went, as WoW is very heavy on FotM-ism.

In WAR ...

- The PvE is okay. Quests are not as fun as WoW and the landscape in general is not. However, you WILL group while doing it, even if it is just for PQs, which gives a much nicer character to the community.

- Scenarios are similar to BGs in WoW. You'll enjoy them if you play with people who know what they are doing. The best way to ensure this is to get into a competent guild, which is easy enough.

- I've not done end-game PvE or PvP so cannot comment beyond saying that already keep takes are fun and have a strategic and tactical dimension almost entirely absent in WoW.

- As a healer in WAR I get taken apart in seconds against an assist train unless I am in a decent group (one with other healers, defensive tanks and people who help a healer who is in trouble). Fortunately, although most RvR has at least one or two people who know to attack healers, dangerous assist trains are relatively uncommon and anything else I can heal myself enough to endure mostly. Also, I usually play with people who know what they are doing. Not leet, but you don't have to be leet to know the handful of basic principles that make most of the difference in RvR.

- It remains to be seen if WAR is heavily loot dependent. If at any point I find myself in "need" of something that is a chore to get in order to stay competitive in RvR, I'll close my account.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
long post !

what he said ^

WoW however had ONE feature that endeared it above and beyond all other MMOs...

get in a bad pug? whineing about the healing ? wait for the big pull...

bubble...
/wave...
hearthstone....

Healadins for ever :D

:clap:

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
What frustrates me a bit about WAR so far is that scenarios is so completely 100% better xp than doing quests. I would like to mix PvE and RvR when I level up, but it feels pretty pointless when I can 1) do a quest in 5 mins and get 3k xp, or 2) do a scenario and get an average of 10k xp in the same amount of time.

More xp rewarded by doing quests would solve this as far as I can see. Scenarios become pretty boring after a while. And why do some people always say that "grind" is PvE? I have played WoW since it came out, and yes, both PvE and PvP in WoW is a "grind", but in WAR scenarios to me is the definition if "grind" so far.

Another thing I miss from DAoC is that each class was more specialized than classes are so far on WAR. Bob and his uncle has knockback, every healer class have the same frigging morale abilities and types of heals, everyone can solo do some extent. I played a healer on DAoC and was almost proud of the fact that I could not solo :p

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
What frustrates me a bit about WAR so far is that scenarios is so completely 100% better xp than doing quests. I would like to mix PvE and RvR when I level up, but it feels pretty pointless when I can 1) do a quest in 5 mins and get 3k xp, or 2) do a scenario and get an average of 10k xp in the same amount of time.

More xp rewarded by doing quests would solve this as far as I can see. Scenarios become pretty boring after a while. And why do some people always say that "grind" is PvE? I have played WoW since it came out, and yes, both PvE and PvP in WoW is a "grind", but in WAR scenarios to me is the definition if "grind" so far.

They increased the experience gained from T3 and T4 quests by quite a lot. Perhaps I was still used to the old experience rewards, but it's a start.

Give it time. People will find places like the old 4fins and manage to pull out some powerleveling. Then it is for each individual to decide whether to use it or to level the normal way.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie

Another thing I miss from DAoC is that each class was more specialized than classes are so far on WAR. Bob and his uncle has knockback, every healer class have the same frigging morale abilities and types of heals, everyone can solo do some extent. I played a healer on DAoC and was almost proud of the fact that I could not solo :p

I strongly believe that noone should ever grind anything. If there is a part of a game that seems a grind to you, don't do it. If you can't have fun in the game because the thing you see as grinding is an essential part, cancel your subs.

This is not saying glibly "If you don't like it, go elsewhere," it is saying "MMOs are recreation, and if they seem anything other than entertaining, you will be better off with a different hobby."

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Agree to that, Boggy. And I have tried the PvE questing way of leveling up, but I can't help feeling I play with a serious handicap xp-wise, compared to those who have the stamina to play scenarios for 10 hours straight.

And being a casual gamer not by heart but by being a father/having a fulltime job/gf etc, it would be nice if the alternative to scenario exp'ing would not be as gimped as it is now.

Of course I realize that it takes time, effort and work hours to make good quest chains, and this game is still very new. Scenarios, in comparison, is making a small map and a win/loose mechanic, and you have enough for thousands of hours of playing. So it's pretty understandable that this early in WAR, there are probably lots of quests to be made yet. I just hope they make them all :)

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
No, I think you're right. The quests do seem to be comparatively low xp. Might be a better game all around if they increased it.

Having said that, I'm a father too, and have a demanding job. I do scenarios a lot when I am on but am not leveling very fast. Then again, I don't care what level I am as long as at that level I can have fun while logged in.

Does it really matter if you get to 40 quickly? If you get there at all? What if you found a way to have great fun for hours on end but it gave NO xp? Would you stop doing just because you want to be able to say your character is level 40?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I love grinding, separates the pussies with life from the real men without.

I think I'll resub DAoC and get me some LGMs and a couple of items for my Infi.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
I love grinding, separates the pussies with life from the real men without.

tell me if any action on dyvet, might resub my gimp :)

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
No, I think you're right. The quests do seem to be comparatively low xp. Might be a better game all around if they increased it.

Having said that, I'm a father too, and have a demanding job. I do scenarios a lot when I am on but am not leveling very fast. Then again, I don't care what level I am as long as at that level I can have fun while logged in.

Does it really matter if you get to 40 quickly? If you get there at all? What if you found a way to have great fun for hours on end but it gave NO xp? Would you stop doing just because you want to be able to say your character is level 40?

Interesting questions :) I'm not sure tbh.. of course the main goal of an MMO for me is to have fun in a fantasy setting. But the feeling of progress has to be there too eventually. What bugs me the most about lagging behind my guildmates and rl m8s rank-wise is the obvious disadvantage of not being able to group together. As it is now, me and the missus are often playing duo as we are equally gimped for playtime :p

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Interesting questions :) I'm not sure tbh.. of course the main goal of an MMO for me is to have fun in a fantasy setting. But the feeling of progress has to be there too eventually. What bugs me the most about lagging behind my guildmates and rl m8s rank-wise is the obvious disadvantage of not being able to group together. As it is now, me and the missus are often playing duo as we are equally gimped for playtime :p

Agreed, I have the same problem. A week of night shifts at work and I'm now lagging behind my guild and rl mates in tier 2 while they've progressed to tier 3 and so the grinding that I was dreading so much has begun. And after losing 3 scenarios, 1 of which due to a buggy troll pacifier, and being destroyed by an op dok in less time than it takes to blink I really don't feel I can be arsed.

Geddon

Fledgling Freddie
Who cares

Why do these people think we care i they leave ,tell Goa or your mum they might but on behalf of Goa i would like to thank you for your £35

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Grats to you Staz for not being able to answer simple questions.

Says the guy who didn't bother to answer my original question :clap:

Yeah, do that. Off you go.

PS: Love the way you took the bait from Merrilow and chomped away on it. Amusing.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

I have no intention of ever getting to 40, i am enjoying trying out lots of different chars, casually pvping and exploring, my top level is only 23 and no plans to increase that anytime soon :)

Toel

Loyal Freddie
I have no intention of ever getting to 40, i am enjoying trying out lots of different chars, casually pvping and exploring, my top level is only 23 and no plans to increase that anytime soon :)

Same here. :)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I was quite suprised (in a good way) at the time it takes to level; as in GuildWars which i previously played it takes about 10 hours to reach max level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom