Politics Coronavirus

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It was the initial recommendation from all vaccine makers that 3 to 4 weeks to second jab. But the uk gov wanted to get at least one jab in as many arms for the first part so extended the time between.

now its lessened and basically you can get a second jab appointment much earlier now.

@Yoni all adults have been offered at least one jab.

given that 10 mil haven’t taken that up. and the first jab rates are quite low at the moment because people are not coming forward for them.

do we wait until the past anti vaxxer has been persuaded to get their jab? Or do we decide as a country they have been offered it and decided they dont want it. Keep the offer open if they change their mind and move on?

unless the jab is mandated by law we can’t wait for everyone to be convinced to take the vaccine
False argument. The vaccine rollout is continuing and the lower than needed levels aren't because of anti-vaxxers or reluctance to take up vaccines - it's because not everyone's been offered them.

I've noticed your thinking on all of this over the past year is very inconsistent - you flip flop about a lot. But one thing is consistent - when the tories are taking a panning for being fucking stupid, you defend them.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Covid is pretty bad around here, especially among younger people.

They don't vote Tory though. :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
It was the initial recommendation from all vaccine makers that 3 to 4 weeks to second jab. But the uk gov wanted to get at least one jab in as many arms for the first part so extended the time between.

now its lessened and basically you can get a second jab appointment much earlier now.

@Yoni all adults have been offered at least one jab.

given that 10 mil haven’t taken that up. and the first jab rates are quite low at the moment because people are not coming forward for them.

do we wait until the past anti vaxxer has been persuaded to get their jab? Or do we decide as a country they have been offered it and decided they dont want it. Keep the offer open if they change their mind and move on?

unless the jab is mandated by law we can’t wait for everyone to be convinced to take the vaccine

Again you are going into to the all or nothing, the majority of people believe the majority of people who would want a vaccine to be jabbed....which they haven't been yet.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
After seeing pictures of young people clubbing this morning in Manchester, I have to say I have a vanishingly small amount of sympathy for any of them who contract this illness. I visited my mum the other day for the first time in many months, and even though we're both vaccinated, I still insisted on staying outside as we spoke.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Both myself and the wife are going to be taking regular home tests over the school holidays. She wants to get down to her mums for a week on the 7th. I will be mostly working from home still and going solo camping on the 30th.

Saw loads of people wandering around without masks on when I went for milk the other day. Can't say I'm surprised.

Gwadien

After seeing pictures of young people clubbing this morning in Manchester, I have to say I have a vanishingly small amount of sympathy for any of them who contract this illness. I visited my mum the other day for the first time in many months, and even though we're both vaccinated, I still insisted on staying outside as we spoke.

The only blame lays with the Government.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

After seeing the pictures of the young clubbers all over the UK getting stuck in from 12am this morning, I felt over the moon that the generation that have sacrificed the last 18 months of their lives for a virus that doesn't really affect them have had a release and a chance to go out and enjoy themselves again. I'm visiting my fully vaxxed mum and family this evening - we are going to the pub. I might even order at the bar, just because I can.

Anyway another couple of observations from the previous couple of pages:

1) The scary new variants so far have pretty much all be linked to immunocompromised people in hospital being pumped full of antibody therapies, so are highly unlikely to appear because someone went to Ministry of Sound of an evening. Given that even if there is a new variant it is highly unlikely to be able to evade the vaccines without ceasing to function as a virus. I'm not sure I'd be too concerned in that area.

2) Why are we only considering people who have had the vaccine as being immune? Going by the latest info from Israel - who are pretty much fully vaxxed and still having a mild wave of the Delta variant, it looks as if the best way to avoid getting Delta is to have recovered from a previous infection. Israel didn't offer both jabs to people who have recently recovered, yet they seem to be the best group at avoiding getting infected. So if someone doesn't want the vaccine as they have already recovered, most scientific research at this point would suggest - that's cool, we'll give your jab to someone vulnerable.

3) Vaccinating kids who aren't at risk of this to protect adults is probably one of the most morally dubious positions I've seen throughout this whole clusterfuck. I'm guessing that's why JCVI have decided not to go down that route.

Anyway, the NHS COVID app has been deleted from my phone, the last mask I had is in the bin, and I am very much looking forward the next few weeks of "normality".

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I went out earlier to a local garden centre and hardware store for some bits and bobs for garden maintenance day.
About half way to the store I realised my mask wasn't in the car, thought about turning round to get and remembered I could get away with not wearing it.
I can count on one hand the amount of maskless people I encountered.
Personally, I felt somewhat uncomfortable without my covering on, even more so when others got a bit too close.

Gwadien

After seeing the pictures of the young clubbers all over the UK getting stuck in from 12am this morning, I felt over the moon that the generation that have sacrificed the last 18 months of their lives for a virus that doesn't really affect them have had a release and a chance to go out and enjoy themselves again. I'm visiting my fully vaxxed mum and family this evening - we are going to the pub. I might even order at the bar, just because I can.

Anyway another couple of observations from the previous couple of pages:

1) The scary new variants so far have pretty much all be linked to immunocompromised people in hospital being pumped full of antibody therapies, so are highly unlikely to appear because someone went to Ministry of Sound of an evening. Given that even if there is a new variant it is highly unlikely to be able to evade the vaccines without ceasing to function as a virus. I'm not sure I'd be too concerned in that area.

2) Why are we only considering people who have had the vaccine as being immune? Going by the latest info from Israel - who are pretty much fully vaxxed and still having a mild wave of the Delta variant, it looks as if the best way to avoid getting Delta is to have recovered from a previous infection. Israel didn't offer both jabs to people who have recently recovered, yet they seem to be the best group at avoiding getting infected. So if someone doesn't want the vaccine as they have already recovered, most scientific research at this point would suggest - that's cool, we'll give your jab to someone vulnerable.

3) Vaccinating kids who aren't at risk of this to protect adults is probably one of the most morally dubious positions I've seen throughout this whole clusterfuck. I'm guessing that's why JCVI have decided not to go down that route.

Anyway, the NHS COVID app has been deleted from my phone, the last mask I had is in the bin, and I am very much looking forward the next few weeks of "normality".

Why would you not wear a mask though?

Gwadien

The government have advised that there is no longer any need to. If you feel comfortable not wearing one, why would you wear one?

I completely agree, but we're not talking about the unwashed masses here, we're talking about Bodhi who seems to be quite a sensible person.

The only reason I can think of to not wear one is as a 'fuck you'.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well, I'll be wearing one...but I don't plan on shopping any more. Back to online orders only.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The only reason I can think of to not wear one is as a 'fuck you'.

Or because the Government have said it's no longer necessary because of research/predictions? Chris Whitty has said you should only need to wear one if you're bothered about making people feel comfortable, or in crowded indoor spaces. Is he now wrong, and they should be worn at all times? What happened to listening to the experts?

Just for the record, I'll still carry a mask but I'll likely only use it in the above scenarios.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
False argument. The vaccine rollout is continuing and the lower than needed levels aren't because of anti-vaxxers or reluctance to take up vaccines - it's because not everyone's been offered them.

I've noticed your thinking on all of this over the past year is very inconsistent - you flip flop about a lot. But one thing is consistent - when the tories are taking a panning for being fucking stupid, you defend them.
I have come to a point where I am comfortable that the country has done what it can to protect everyone with the vaccination program.

over the last couple weeks they had walkin places to try and mop up those who have been missed or changed their minds about getting it.

As long as the nhs is able to cope, which is why there were lockdowns previously, then I am happy that we as a populous are in a position where we can make our own choices and take our own chances. Much like we do with the kyriad of other diseases.

if the nhs struggles to cope again i would support another lock down.

Much as it would be great to be ableto save everyone from everything its just not possible.

please show me where anyone over 18 hasn’t been offered a jab.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Or because the Government have said it's no longer necessary because of research/predictions? Chris Whitty has said you should only need to wear one if you're bothered about making people feel comfortable, or in crowded indoor spaces. Is he now wrong, and they should be worn at all times? What happened to listening to the experts?

Just for the record, I'll still carry a mask but I'll likely only use it in the above scenarios.

So crowded indoor spaces then? Just like I've done since this shitshow started then? So nothing's changed? I've never worn a mask at all times, and almost never outside, because that's never actually been the medical advice.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Why would you not wear a mask though?

I've already had COVID and now had 2 jabs, so I am highly unlikely to be carrying anything 'Rona related. I may wear one in winter if I have a sniffle and have to go out, but otherwise if I'm ill I'll just stay at home. If I see someone in a shop who is clearly still worried, I'll keep the 2m + from them.

Oh yeah, and unless you get a properly fitted N95 mask, they do absolutely fuck all.

I'll carry on going to shops however, as I don't believe in subcontracting risk to the poor bastard who'd have to pick, pack and deliver it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
So crowded indoor spaces then? Just like I've done since this shitshow started then? So nothing's changed? I've never worn a mask at all times, and almost never outside, because that's never actually been the medical advice.

Ok. Before today, if I went into a shop and was the only person I'd have had to wear a mask. That's not a crowded indoor space is it?

Embattle

FH is my second home
To me it seems logical, afterall if they don't do something none of the clubs will be open either way due to all the staff having to isolate all the time.

Last edited:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Who the fuck is over 28 and going to clubs full of 18 year olds?

I'd be more annoyed if they made it gyms and restaurants, even then it's a mild annoyance at most. Always carrying a driver's license and phone anyway.

Boohoo no freedom. Not like we have any in London anyway.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ok. Before today, if I went into a shop and was the only person I'd have had to wear a mask. That's not a crowded indoor space is it?

Since you wouldn't know before you went in, or who might come in behind you, I see no difference.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Since you wouldn't know before you went in, or who might come in behind you, I see no difference.
To me that's just being pedantic. If I go into an apparently empty indoor space and all of a sudden 300 people apparate into the room, maybe I'll put my mask on.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
YIKES

Its a political decision. Cant save everyone who do you sacrifice for the greater good. Never going to a good decision to make.

but if you could for example sacrifice the population over 80 and everyone else is ok. Its like the few for the many.

but everyone sees human life as sacred. But we are just another animal on the planet.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Its a political decision. Cant save everyone who do you sacrifice for the greater good. Never going to a good decision to make.

but if you could for example sacrifice the population over 80 and everyone else is ok. Its like the few for the many.

but everyone sees human life as sacred. But we are just another animal on the planet.

"He also said the prime minister had messaged him to say: "I no longer buy all this NHS overwhelmed stuff."" Is the biggest takeaway from the article imo. QAnon level.

Everyone has known he doesnt give a fuck about old people dying for ages.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Bit of weirdness from Vallance today. He said in the press conference that 60% of hospital admissions were double vaccinated, then explained in detail why it was so high and why it wasn't concerning and then, 2 hours later, he wheeled out a correction saying he meant 60% of hospital admissions were unvaccinated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom