Politics Coronavirus

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You really are a tool sometimes.

1. Italy has the highest old age population in Europe
2. Italians have always been a people that like to get close to one another and have lots of personal contact.

They closed flights to China but it was already too late as soon as the first infected started to mingle. They did everything they could.

Have some fucking compassion. They may not be your relatives/friends that are dying but they are still human.

I don't think you can explain away the Italian numbers simply because of an ageing population; other western European countries aren't that far behind Italy. The lack of social distancing has to be a factor but even then it's extraordinary. I'm sure epidemiologists will be studying this for decades. I did read somewhere that there was one guy who acted as "patient zero" who spread the disease far and wide because he'd visited multiple towns across northern Italy before he showed symptoms and then he wasn't diagnosed and carried on travelling.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I also read that not only does Italy have the highest ratio of old folks in Europe but they also have the most instances of those old folk living with their children/grandchildren (or their children/grandchildren living with them, perhaps).

DaGaffer

I also read that not only does Italy have the highest ratio of old folks in Europe but they also have the most instances of those old folk living with their children/grandchildren (or their children/grandchildren living with them, perhaps).

Y'see? That's why I live an entire country away from mine :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Also they love to smoke.

And the Germans...I mean, you just know they followed official guidelines to the fucking letter.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Heh I also live several countries away - It appears that
The Isle of Man is one of the safest places in the planet - anyone arriving there has to go in to isolation immediately for 14 days - as at yesterday there were no known cases. I am very happy that I do not currently have to worry about any of my direct family including my 82 year old mum : I am worrying about the over 80s in my appartment building (we have a few including one over 90) and the fact that Kris and I are symptomatic (Kris probably
More so that I) :/ - hence isolation

Job

You really are a tool sometimes.

1. Italy has the highest old age population in Europe
2. Italians have always been a people that like to get close to one another and have lots of personal contact.

They closed flights to China but it was already too late as soon as the first infected started to mingle. They did everything they could.

Have some fucking compassion. They may not be your relatives/friends that are dying but they are still human.
What?
I make a mild joke about Italian culture and I have no compassion, seriously get a grip.

They are simply running out of intensive care beds and letting older people die

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Sweden have now started the ramping up speeches they have done 5000 random tests in Stockholm of which 500 tested positive. If I extrapolate then that is 10% of the stockholm population minimum (how many people have the 500 come in contact with etc etc).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Heh I also live several countries away - It appears that
The Isle of Man is one of the safest places in the planet - anyone arriving there has to go in to isolation immediately for 14 days - as at yesterday there were no known cases. I am very happy that I do not currently have to worry about any of my direct family including my 82 year old mum : I am worrying about the over 80s in my appartment building (we have a few including one over 90) and the fact that Kris and I are symptomatic (Kris probably
More so that I) :/ - hence isolation
It sounds like they're taking it seriously. Coronavirus: Man arrested for 'failing to self-isolate' on Isle of Man

DaGaffer

When Johnson says we'll turn the tide in 12 weeks, it's just another line for the side of a bus | Marina Hyde

He was about a fanny hair away from saying "get coronavirus done" in his press conference yesterday.

Absolutely top form from Marina Hyde. I particularly enjoyed:

“From Monday, most British parents will be home-schooling their children. Not Johnson, of course – I imagine he doesn’t want to break his own pledge on class sizes”

and,

‘The key message,” Johnson key-messaged on Tuesday, is that people follow the advice “sedulously”. Ah, sedulously. Sedulously. The signal for 10 million hardworking families to draw down the leather-bound thesaurus from their shelves and browse synonyms for the word “twat”

Great stuff.

Job

Germany is soooooo going to have to bail out Italy and Spain for hundreds of billions and are soooooo going to have an electorate revolt.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sooo all cafe bars clubs leisure centres etc closed now.

but good news that the gov pay salaries up to 2500 for mothballed workers.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Germany is soooooo going to have to bail out Italy and Spain for hundreds of billions and are soooooo going to have an electorate revolt.
It does mean that all the money we can find we can use on ourselves and not prop up other countries. A selfish point but true.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Shelter in place executive order just announced for New York. Popped down to local supermarket and grabbed a few more supplies, plenty of food on shelves still.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It does mean that all the money we can find we can use on ourselves and not prop up other countries. A selfish point but true.

No it doesn't. We may choose to actually help if we are in a better off position.
But nice one for you lot to bring Brexit into this.

I'm actually surprised @Job hasn't blamed the virus on remainers yet.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The good news: Covid-19 means the IR35 reform has been put back so I'm staying in my job :)
The bad news: I have a cough and sore throat. And headache :(

Job

No...it is increasingly getting uncomfortabe for China as a picture forms of their incompetence and cover up that has caused a pandemic thats brought the western world to its financial knees.
If they had admitted it and banned travel, it would have easily been contained locally.

The autopsy is going to cause a huge backlash against china and gobalisation.

Job

Woohoo £100 a week sick pay.

Im gonna go out on my bike everyday for two weeks...sun incoming too.

No eating out, holidays or weekend pissups, save a frickin fortune.

Job

I couldnt agree more, but Im also aware that 'would have died anyway', is a very slippery slope.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom