Politics Coronavirus

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
They are related. Brexit wasn't a benefit. Its not complicated.

Yes, hurr durr brexit bad etc.

But the fact is that vaccination rate in the UK is slowing because minorities and young people are not taking it up. We should be concerned about it, but of course people are just using it as an opportunity to stick the boot in re. Brexit, which is completely unrelated.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Very few didn't due to the pressure, either way to me all countries are likely to stall due to the same issue of demand tapering off. They'll all have to come up with ways to convince the majority of the remaining unvaccinated people to get vaccinated.

Two words; "Freedom Day". A self inflicted wound for pr purposes that was completely stupid.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Why was the fact that we were out of the eu incorrect about vaccinating more quickly. We see the mess the eu made about getting vaccines and when they did get them they had to distribute them to all members.
uk made their own deals quicker and earlier and got more doses sooner.
so being apart from the eu made our deployment better than the eu.

the slow down is npthing to do with brexit. Its the population left to be jabbed not coming forward.

one country in the eu. Is not the whole eu as well.
I bet you think Brexit meant the UK could use blue passports again.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Who gives a feck about passport colour. How much were you betting?
It's just that you believe the UK gov line that Brexit helped with vaccinations so you apparently believe whatever they tell you.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's just that you believe the UK gov line that Brexit helped with vaccinations so you apparently believe whatever they tell you.
No, i believe we got ahead of the eu. I believe we would probably have been aligned with the rest of the eu had we still been in it. With their buying strategy.

either way if we had or hadn’t opt’d out the fact remains that UK got ahead of the game in buying them without having to deal with taking that decision.

you believe the uk would have opt’d out and done exactly the same as we did being outside the eu buying system.

neither of us know for sure. All we can say is uk did better given the circumstnces they were in at the time.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I believe we would probably have been aligned with the rest of the eu had we still been in it. With their buying strategy.
I mean, we've got an example with the EU ventilator scheme. At first the UK basically said "Brexit means Brexit" when they said they weren't a member so weren't eligible and then, in the face of a barrage of criticism, they spun some cock and bull story about not receiving an email or something.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
neither of us know for sure. All we can say is uk did better given the circumstnces they were in at the time.
The Tories used Brexit to trumpet the short-lived lead we had. Now that's failed, they shouldn't be surprised it's been turned against them.

Regardless of any of that shit - there's nothing about our performance with Covid that should be applauded. We're one of the worst performing countries on the planet. And the buck stops with the Tory party.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Very few didn't due to the pressure, either way to me all countries are likely to stall due to the same issue of demand tapering off. They'll all have to come up with ways to convince the majority of the remaining unvaccinated people to get vaccinated.

Frankly, if the UK had still been an active EU member, the common procurement thing would never have happened anyway because the UK would have told the EU to fuck off. Every country in Europe has a unique health service with robust procurement capabilities and they threw all that out to look more "unified", almost certainly because of Brexit. The EU had zero track record of common procurement in anything; it was bizarre, but I've always said Brexit was bad for the UK AND Europe.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
When the history of Covid is written, the UK's terrible initial response to the crisis, the worst death rate in the developed world, and stupid stunts like "Freedom Day" are all going to loom larger than an early, but ultimately squandered, vaccination lead.

I doubt they will, as none of what you've said is in any way accurate.

Worst death rate in the developed world? Strange, as I've been to Czechia, Italy, Hungary and Belgium, and they all seemed fairly well developed to me. They also all have worse death rates than us.

Freedom Day? You mean the point about which cases peaked then started to plummet straight afterwards, that Freedom Day? Not entirely sure what the issue with getting rid of the rest of the restrictions was tbh, only thing he ruined it by was by anouncing vaccine passports to get into nightclubs in the evening. Still could be worse, we could need them to go to Costa, like you do in Ireland.

However overall it's quite difficult to describe the UK vaccination program as anything other than a success, especially in terms of how quickly the vulnerable got jabbed up, meaning they had a chance to get saving lives asap. Still, good to see the rest of Europe catching up now we're firmly in the ever diminishing rewards phase of the vaccination program. The ONS quote that 95% of adults have antibodies now through infection or vaccination. I'd say we're pretty well covered tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Worst death rate in the developed world? Strange, as I've been to Czechia, Italy, Hungary and Belgium, and they all seemed fairly well developed to me. They also all have worse death rates than us.
Erm. From your stats:

Deaths Per Million:

United Kingdom 933.45

France 633.3
Czechia 845.72
Italy 123.29
Hungary 73.2
Belgium 197.39

I know, it was a cursory look. But have I missed something?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Erm. From your stats:

Deaths Per Million:

United Kingdom 933.45

France 633.3
Czechia 845.72
Italy 123.29
Hungary 73.2
Belgium 197.39

I know, it was a cursory look. But have I missed something?

You missed the 1 before it. 1933. And the others have 2’s and 3’s before them

belgium was 2197.39

SilverHood

FH is my second home

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sad for his family, but at same time, I can only shrug. You make your life choices and deal with the consequences.
Global pandemic? ✅
Vaccine available? ✅
Chose not to get vaccinated? ✅
Tragedy? 🤷‍♂️
I am sure you might find a fit person who had both jabs and still died. Its individual immune system and if it over reacts.
all you can do is try and stack the odds in yr favour

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I am sure you might find a fit person who had both jabs and still died. Its individual immune system and if it over reacts.
all you can do is try and stack the odds in yr favour

The odds of being one of the few people who were totally healthy and then dies after getting vaccinated (or dies of Covid after getting vaccinated), versus being a statistic in the millions of people who have already died while not being vaccinated ? If you chose not to get jabbed while being able to, may the odds be ever in your favor, but don't except any sympathy if you get sick and die.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It's pretty lame of the media to keep reporting the deaths of people that are anti-vaccine.

It's hardly going to make anti-vaxxers change their minds; more likely to entrench their views.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The odds of being one of the few people who were totally healthy and then dies after getting vaccinated (or dies of Covid after getting vaccinated), versus being a statistic in the millions of people who have already died while not being vaccinated ? If you chose not to get jabbed while being able to, may the odds be ever in your favor, but don't except any sympathy if you get sick and die.
Yes i wasnt supporting the dude who died. If he didnt take all the steps he could have then its on his head. Trouble is people like that add to the death totals and people like @Scouse use them to say everything is crap.

no win circle jerk

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
people like @Scouse use them to say everything is crap.
130,000 deaths and being right near the global top of deaths per million IS crap. It's fucking shite.

Put your head in the sand all you like m8. If you want to think that's just peachy, that's your perogative. I fully support your desire to be batshit crazy in the face of evidence. But I'm gonna call you on it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tragedy? 🤷‍♂️
Yeah. Still a tragedy. He'll have family and friends who are beside themselves.

If people got a proper science-based education then there'd be a lot less of this about. But schools are there to pump out morons for call-centres so...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
We should have been aiming for the death rate of other island nations, not nations landlocked in the middle of Europe.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We should have been aiming for the death rate of other island nations, not nations landlocked in the middle of Europe.
Yep.

But don't bash them tories m8.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
130,000 deaths and being right near the global top of deaths per million IS crap. It's fucking shite.

Put your head in the sand all you like m8. If you want to think that's just peachy, that's your perogative. I fully support your desire to be batshit crazy in the face of evidence. But I'm gonna call you on it.
Hook, line and sinker

Gwadien

Anyone got any experience with getting covid tests when coming back to the UK after a flight?

There's so many options, and I feel like £80 takes the piss for 1 test.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Anyone got any experience with getting covid tests when coming back to the UK after a flight?

There's so many options, and I feel like £80 takes the piss for 1 test.
I know someone who's driving from France to England next week - he's paying under €10 for a test before he sets off and then apparently has to go to Boots and pay north of £80 when he arrives.

Gwadien

I know someone who's driving from France to England next week - he's paying under €10 for a test before he sets off and then apparently has to go to Boots and pay north of £80 when he arrives.

Yeah, I've had a look at local providers that do it for £20 but the Government website being the Government website it doesn't tell you the location of the providers other than 'east midlands'.

I am enjoying flicking through these websites though, some people making some quick bucks!

I don't understand why at school we were given way more tests than we needed but you have to pay if you're coming from abroad, surely that's gonna make more people chance it and try to not do it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Different tests, you can get them free at any pharmacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom