Politics Coronavirus

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Just spoken to my Norwegian brother in law. He anticipated the need to get double jabbed to go home to visit family, so he signed up as soon as his age range was allowed. Got two jabs of AZ, sadly the first one was one of the ones made in India, which are not recognised by the Norwegian Govt as an approved vaccine, so he cannot go home. To say he is spitting feathers is an understatement.

Awesome idea, these vaccine passports!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just spoken to my Norwegian brother in law. He anticipated the need to get double jabbed to go home to visit family, so he signed up as soon as his age range was allowed. Got two jabs of AZ, sadly the first one was one of the ones made in India, which are not recognised by the Norwegian Govt as an approved vaccine, so he cannot go home. To say he is spitting feathers is an understatement.

Awesome idea, these vaccine passports!
Tbh its norways fault the vaccine is exactly the same if it was made here or in india.
its a stupid technicality.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Tbh its norways fault the vaccine is exactly the same if it was made here or in india.

It is, but one we will be wide open to if you start making medical history a condition of entry. Already murmurs that the US vaccine pass system won't recognise Astra Zenica full stop.

Could be fun!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It is, but one we will be wide open to if you start making medical history a condition of entry. Already murmurs that the US vaccine pass system won't recognise Astra Zenica full stop.

Could be fun!
Yeah thats the trouble if you have each cpu try make up their own rules. Needs to be determined by WHO which jabs are accepted and everyone go along with it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

So if you got offered between a UK made vaccine and an Indian made vaccine you wouldn't pick the UK one?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So if you got offered between a UK made vaccine and an Indian made vaccine you wouldn't pick the UK one?

It's made by the same company. If its not made by the same standards/recipe then the company is doomed.

It's the same old bollocks about AZ not being safe etc. All this anti AZ stuff is probably from Pfizer as they are the ones making a profit while AZ isnt

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I mean average life expectancy changes as you outlive those who died.

which do we take or not?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ireland caught up on the fully vaccinated percentage with the UK yesterday (still 2% behind on partials). We were a total shitshow a couple of months ago, so I can't decide if we're doing well or the UK's going titsup.

My mum was over from the UK last week; first time I've seen her since Feb 2020. She reckoned people's behaviour in Ireland, particularly mask wearing and distancing, is way better than the UK.

DaGaffer

It doesn't appear to be a supply issue, it appears to be a drop in demand.

That was my thought. Seems younger groups and certain ethnic minorities aren't getting jabbed in the UK, while young uns are queuing around the block here and we have fewer minorities.

Embattle

FH is my second home
That was my thought. Seems younger groups and certain ethnic minorities aren't getting jabbed in the UK, while young uns are queuing around the block here and we have fewer minorities.

They've been doing more pop up vaccination centres, there was one reported at ilfracombe that would offer the Pfizer jab to people passing. It seemed to help the take-up amongst the people who were going to work including many teenagers.

I also suspect another teenager boost with the nightclub rules change.

DaGaffer

Whilst I'm loathe to defend these idiots running the country, it's hard to see how people not taking up their vaccines can be blamed on Brexit.

If you make the (incorrect) claim that Brexit allowed you to vaccinate more successfully than the bureaucratic EU, as the Tories did, you can't complain when it gets thrown back in your face as the EU blasts past you.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My mum was over from the UK last week; first time I've seen her since Feb 2020. She reckoned people's behaviour in Ireland, particularly mask wearing and distancing, is way better than the UK.

From my limited interaction with the shops, a lot of people have binned the masks now and not all that fussed with picking every item up of the shelf to read the label etc.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
If you make the (incorrect) claim that Brexit allowed you to vaccinate more successfully than the bureaucratic EU, as the Tories did, you can't complain when it gets thrown back in your face as the EU blasts past you.

I'd say that the population comparison is the problem here tbh.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
I am now double vaccinated. I spent the last two days feeling like crap, headaches, hot and cold, joint pain everywhere, dizzy when trying to walk. But now back to feeling almost normal.

Can I lick peoples faces now? ;)

DaGaffer

I'd say that the population comparison is the problem here tbh.

Not really; health systems are usually broadly in proportion to population size. The issue with the UK was they specifically said that not being in the EU meant they could move faster because they didn't have to join the EU's shared procurement scheme, but that was never necessary anyway, and now its turned out not to matter.

When the history of Covid is written, the UK's terrible initial response to the crisis, the worst death rate in the developed world, and stupid stunts like "Freedom Day" are all going to loom larger than an early, but ultimately squandered, vaccination lead.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Whilst I'm loathe to defend these idiots running the country, it's hard to see how people not taking up their vaccines can be blamed on Brexit.
I wasn't. Didn't really post it for the sentiment. Just interesting to note that despite all our bragging some EU countries are catching up or overtaking us.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why was the fact that we were out of the eu incorrect about vaccinating more quickly. We see the mess the eu made about getting vaccines and when they did get them they had to distribute them to all members.
uk made their own deals quicker and earlier and got more doses sooner.
so being apart from the eu made our deployment better than the eu.

the slow down is npthing to do with brexit. Its the population left to be jabbed not coming forward.

one country in the eu. Is not the whole eu as well.

DaGaffer

Why was the fact that we were out of the eu incorrect about vaccinating more quickly. We see the mess the eu made about getting vaccines and when they did get them they had to distribute them to all members.
uk made their own deals quicker and earlier and got more doses sooner.
so being apart from the eu made our deployment better than the eu.

the slow down is npthing to do with brexit. Its the population left to be jabbed not coming forward.

one country in the eu. Is not the whole eu as well.

Being in the EU didn't mean you had to join the shared purchasing scheme. There was no obligation on any EU member to join, and some, like Hungary, didn't. The UK's rollout was sold as a Brexit benefit, which was a lie.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Being in the EU didn't mean you had to join the shared purchasing scheme. There was no obligation on any EU member to join, and some, like Hungary, didn't. The UK's rollout was sold as a Brexit benefit, which was a lie.

Doesn't matter though really does it. The tweet is suggesting that 'Boris' Brexit Boasting' now looks silly as a result of the amount of people being vaccinated here slowing down. Whilst his 'Brexit Boasting' was always a bit silly, the two things the tweet are referring to are unrelated. Just classic clickbaity bullshit.

DaGaffer

Doesn't matter though really does it. The tweet is suggesting that 'Boris' Brexit Boasting' now looks silly as a result of the amount of people being vaccinated here slowing down. Whilst his 'Brexit Boasting' was always a bit silly, the two things the tweet are referring to are unrelated. Just classic clickbaity bullshit.

They are related. Brexit wasn't a benefit. Its not complicated.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Very few didn't due to the pressure, either way to me all countries are likely to stall due to the same issue of demand tapering off. They'll all have to come up with ways to convince the majority of the remaining unvaccinated people to get vaccinated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom