Politics Coronavirus

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Alright, Karen, enough with the sadfaces now :D

Or do you get upset by the fact that a meeting on a bus possibly saved millions of lives?

I'm sure the bus was purchased while we were in the EU, it probably didn't need 28 (at the time) board members to authorise its purchase tho.
No I just think you are sad ... punt!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'll be sad and vaccinated then :)

Before summer too, looking forward to getting back to semi-normality.

Last edited:

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
good for you Enjoy the levels of normality I have been able to enjoy for the last 23 months ....should I have wanted to oO

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
good for you Enjoy the levels of normality I have been able to enjoy for the last 23 months ....should I have wanted to oO

I'm glad it worked (sort of, it's still a shit show) for your tiny population per square KM, really I am, but SWE strategy would simply not work in the UK. 25 people per KM2 (SWE) vs 275* per KM2 (UK)...but yeah, compare the two.

Or is simple mathematics also gloating...?

*which also, obviously, includes the desolate wastes of Scotland, so real density is much, much higher.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit, you just can't compare the two, mathematically the numbers are pretty close and that is the only thing you can loosely compare...if you're gagging for a comparison.

SWE

10mil population, 13k deaths

UK

70mil population, 126k deaths

There are also further factors, already mentioned, population density, the fact that UK winter is basically the same as UK summer as far as mixing is concerned, international travel and so on and so forth.

If you're one of those idiots that still thinks lock-downs don't work then, well, frankly Darwin steps in and tells you to get on with it and hope for the best.

Also, gloating or whatever, I guess...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh purlease, @Raven - stop with the badgering. @Yoni - I understand but please don't feed it....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Oh purlease, @Raven - stop with the badgering. @Yoni - I understand but please don't feed it....

Sorry, what? Continued digs a at the UK response (rightly so for the most part) then brushing over EU ineptitude? Really?

And like I keep saying, criticism over UK government and deaths then furiously whining about so-called gloating (despite the fact, nobody is gloating, and the accusation that people are gloating over people dying being sickening in itself)

The EU is not and has never been, in this global pandemic, anywhere near to being competent or efficient, and I'm pretty sure it is still OK to comment on an ongoing situation.

...and yes, comparing demographics is pertinent when someone is trying to compare deaths per capita.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Edit, you just can't compare the two, mathematically the numbers are pretty close and that is the only thing you can loosely compare...if you're gagging for a comparison.

SWE

10mil population, 13k deaths

UK

70mil population, 126k deaths

There are also further factors, already mentioned, population density, the fact that UK winter is basically the same as UK summer as far as mixing is concerned, international travel and so on and so forth.

If you're one of those idiots that still thinks lock-downs don't work then, well, frankly Darwin steps in and tells you to get on with it and hope for the best.

Also, gloating or whatever, I guess...
So that would be 91k deaths if the population was the same. Not exactly a shining beacon of greatness.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok, so a MOD message to EVERYONE instead. Can we please try to stop this Brexit / UK / EU blithering around what is a tragic and global pandemic? This should not be a fucking points scoring exercise and I find it all very distasteful.

EDIT: @Deebs and @MYstIC G please step in if I am being unreasonable!!!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Erm, sorry again, what exactly has this got to do with Brexit? Brexit has been and gone and actually has no real effect on vaccine development or distribution (all vaccines having been an international effort, not just UK, EU, rest of the world/whatever tribal label you want) Also, who exactly is point scoring and how? The only person accusing others of gloating/point scoring over people actually dying is Yoni, which is disgusting.

The main point being that you cannot compare countries on deaths alone, there are massive amounts of variables. BUT, the UK have got on with it and got the ball rolling early with vaccine acquirement and distribution, meanwhile the EU are still fucking about and actually causing unnecessary deaths (and have actual stockpiles of vaccines ffs, use them)

Also, this EU scheme was entirely optional and even the UK was invited to join, despite us no longer being in the EU. This has absolutely fuck all to do with Brexit.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok, so a MOD message to EVERYONE instead. Can we please try to stop this Brexit / UK / EU blithering around what is a tragic and global pandemic? This should not be a fucking points scoring exercise and I find it all very distasteful.

Given my sarcasm about the bickering earlier in the thread it's hard to disagree with you @Jupitus and I do think it would be good for everyone if all the metaphorical willy waving stopped.

But by this logic amigo, if that's our ask you can't say @Raven bad @Yoni good as they're both on one side of the fence doing the same thing, no?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Nothing to do with brexit here. Just swedish policy marked as a good thing when actually its nothing of the sort just they have a small population

swedens not even in the EU ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Given my sarcasm about the bickering earlier in the thread it's hard to disagree with you @Jupitus and I do think it would be good for everyone if all the metaphorical willy waving stopped.

But by this logic amigo, if that's our ask you can't say @Raven bad @Yoni good as they're both on one side of the fence doing the same thing, no?

Agree 100% - the first comment was based on the most recent posts, the 2nd was more general to say 'everyone is being an asshat here' ....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Surely using up spare vaccines at the end of the day is sensible? And using them to vaccinate 20 teachers even more so?

I'm not sure how it is working in ROI but here they are tying to use up as many leftovers as possible, one of the local doctors even said at one point to phone towards the end of the day to see if any were left over.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Surely using up spare vaccines at the end of the day is sensible? And using them to vaccinate 20 teachers even more so?

I'm not sure how it is working in ROI but here they are tying to use up as many leftovers as possible, one of the local doctors even said at one point to phone towards the end of the day to see if any were left over.

I dunno, a private hospital giving jabs to private school staff...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

“negative incentives” barring people from their everyday lives would lead people to behave “very negatively”

I second that. I'll be getting the vaccine but the first fucker who gives me shit about not proving it would get a big mouthful.

I predict fights if they try it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I dunno, a private hospital giving jabs to private school staff...
Its illegal for a private practice to distribute the vaccine. Only the nhs is authorised to distribute it In the UK. For this reason.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Its illegal for a private practice to distribute the vaccine. Only the nhs is authorised to distribute it In the UK. For this reason.

It's in Ireland, so I'd imagine all hospitals so iirc all their hospitals are private, but all their schools aren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom