Politics Coronavirus

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
As @Yoni has explained countless times its not like Sweden has taken a "fuck it lets do nothing" approach, theres been widespread remote working policies in place, as well as guidelines to increase social distancing, and because of social cohesion it seems to be working, due to checks and balances the gov there doesn't actually have any right to impose restrictions legally (they didn't bin Finland either but legislated to give themselves the option to do so with sunset clauses). That said in effect measure are now similar to neighbouring countries, the main difference was earlier when Denmark, Norway, and Finland shut restaurants, bars and other public places. But all of those countries have been open for months now.
This just this - at some point all of you will just stop trying to compare with Sweden - it is not possible. The government in Sweden can not impose a lockdown. Punt! Even if they had imposed one it was already too late the virus was already in the community due to the winter holidays (taken in Italy, Austria etc) and there was a massive super spreading event due to melodiefestivalen in Stockholm.... Norway, Denmark and Finland all locked down BEFORE community spread which is why they are less affected.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
For all your prattling on its clear that Sweden is taking a vastly different trajectory from the rest of proper lockdown Europe.
If you really have to go and squirm an excuse for these wildly different present outcomes, then you know you are merely idelogically opposed to the idea of stopping lockdown because you have so much invested in it.

Who would you blame if we folowed Swedens approach...originally we did...and it didnt turn out as well.

Would you blame brits for not being like Swedes, our demographics or the governments methods, because if we did have Swedish outcome we would be in a massively better place now.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
For all your prattling on its clear that Sweden is taking a vastly different trajectory from the rest of proper lockdown Europe.
If you really have to go and squirm an excuse for these wildly different present outcomes, then you know you are merely idelogically opposed to the idea of stopping lockdown because you have so much invested in it.

Who would you blame if we folowed Swedens approach...originally we did...and it didnt turn out as well.

Would you blame brits for not being like Swedes, our demographics or the governments methods, because if we did have Swedish outcome we would be in a massively better place now.

If you put together a graph that only compares Sweden to the handful of countries that it is doing better than, then yes, it's clear that the data fits your agenda. Moron.

Job

Ive read all the responses and they are all based around trying to deny the simple fact.
Saying that the graph only applies to a handful of countries is idiotic.
They are major countries of Europe and the basus of the argument with their draconian lockdowns.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Good to know that Belgium is a bigger, more influential country in Europe than the UK, Germany, Russia, Switzerland and the Netherlands. You truly learn something every day on this forum.

Job

Its a bit difficult when you are dealing people who are experimenting with irrelevent contexts to try and win internet points.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
A bit difficult to what? Get your head around basic analytical concepts?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So Nicky Morgan said on Question Time that the reason why the Tories didn't extend the free school meals is because Labour proposed the bill as opposition instead of cooperating with the Government.

So do the Tories genuinely believe that the public response would be worse if they conceded a political defeat than not extending FSM?

Their public relations peoples need firing.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Seems like a weak excuse to me, grasping at straws, but pretty much no one involved in the decision likely even knows anyone it might impact. The old im alright so who cares on an epic scale

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So Nicky Morgan said on Question Time that the reason why the Tories didn't extend the free school meals is because Labour proposed the bill as opposition instead of cooperating with the Government.

So do the Tories genuinely believe that the public response would be worse if they conceded a political defeat than not extending FSM?

Their public relations peoples need firing.

Statement from our local waste of skin, Andrea Leadsom, was that "they had already given them enough and fuck the poor that's why!" But she has a 15k majority.

Gwadien

To be a fair though, we were talking about this at school - yeah it's a great idea etc and they should do it.

But we were saying but kids starved before covid outside of school terms, and the attitude at the time was it's not our responsibility if the schools are shut, but now covid has hit, schools have the responsibility when schools shut, for feeding kids and their welfare.

I'd imagine the Government wants to use this as an excuse, and say 'Well, we don't want to make this a permanent thing' because it does cost lots of money, but it absolutely should be a permanent thing if we have any self respect as a country.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Here theres "playground" areas that they come and bring food to for kids during summer hols, its free and very popular

Kids get a free hot meal, parents dont have to cook, everyone gets fresh air, its a win win

But then they also get fed in schools and kindergartens everyday, currently my kids are in daycare and they eat 3 meals there (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack) all included in what i pay (about 280 eur per month for them both)

Little bastards eat so much i feel like staff are worried we dont feed them at home :D

Gwadien

Here theres "playground" areas that they come and bring food to for kids during summer hols, its free and very popular

Kids get a free hot meal, parents dont have to cook, everyone gets fresh air, its a win win

But then they also get fed in schools and kindergartens everyday, currently my kids are in daycare and they eat 3 meals there (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack) all included in what i pay (about 280 eur per month for them both)

Little bastards eat so much i feel like staff are worried we dont feed them at home :D

We have free meals for all kids in state schools for the ages of 5-8.

After that it becomes means tested.

The problem is, which the Tories wouldn't dare to share is that the means testing is a bit weird, there's so many kids that are eligible for free school meals that won't take them because they don't actually need them, but sure would use vouchers sent to their houses. If you're on Universal Credit then you get free school meals - lots of people are going to be on Universal Credit due to covid, it doesn't necessarily mean that they need free school meals.

It would make sense to make a system where kids that seriously need the food will get it all year round, regardless of covid.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To be a fair though, we were talking about this at school - yeah it's a great idea etc and they should do it.

But we were saying but kids starved before covid outside of school terms, and the attitude at the time was it's not our responsibility if the schools are shut, but now covid has hit, schools have the responsibility when schools shut, for feeding kids and their welfare.

I'd imagine the Government wants to use this as an excuse, and say 'Well, we don't want to make this a permanent thing' because it does cost lots of money, but it absolutely should be a permanent thing if we have any self respect as a country.
I think if they take an extra 0.5% on income tax for people who have kids then that'll pay for it.

With the environment going down the pan we should be more closely adhereing to the 'polluter pays' principle.

:)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think if they take an extra 0.5% on income tax for people who have kids then that'll pay for it.

With the environment going down the pan we should be more closely adhereing to the 'polluter pays' principle.

:)
Child support get paid As well. I know its means tested a bit now but there is money being thrown at parents for having kids too.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Always makes me laugh when i read about all this money being thrown at parents, we have it so easy :D

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
In the UK parents bearly get anything - it is quite disgusting to be honest (I am not a parent).

Gwadien

I'malrightjackisms from people without kids.

If we have all that stuff that's so wonderful why do we have so many kids and their families they rely on food banks @Moriath?

Let me guess.

Parents spend it on booze/cigs/drugs.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'malrightjackisms from people without kids.

If we have all that stuff that's so wonderful why do we have so many kids and their families they rely on food banks @Moriath?

Let me guess.

Parents spend it on booze/cigs/drugs.
You get childless people at food banks too @Gwadien.

Kids are a life choice that are already subsidised by society as a whole. I'm not complaining about paying for schools, universities, yadda yadda yadda. I actually think free school meals is a good idea (my first post is tongue in cheek). - kids can't learn if they're hungry or suffering from poor nutrition. It's a waste of the rest of the cash we spend on education - but I'd go full nazi on the food standards. No bringing in their own food - no snacks or treats. Good wholesome balanced meals in school or nothing else.

But child benefit? Automatically? Get fucked. It was your choice to have kids. And I'm happy to help pay for them to be schooled, and fed in school - because education is important. But the rest of the time? Nah - that's on the parents. You shouldn't get a benefit for having kids - wages should reflect a living cost for all - they shouldn't be shit and then people with kids get a free top-up.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I still don't understand why anyone would have that when bacon exists.
Avocado and pea smash on toast, bit of feta. It's absolutely to die for.

Of course, a couple of bits of streaky bacon on the side adds that little extra ;)

Job

You get childless people at food banks too @Gwadien.

Kids are a life choice that are already subsidised by society as a whole. I'm not complaining about paying for schools, universities, yadda yadda yadda. I actually think free school meals is a good idea (my first post is tongue in cheek). - kids can't learn if they're hungry or suffering from poor nutrition. It's a waste of the rest of the cash we spend on education - but I'd go full nazi on the food standards. No bringing in their own food - no snacks or treats. Good wholesome balanced meals in school or nothing else.

But child benefit? Automatically? Get fucked. It was your choice to have kids. And I'm happy to help pay for them to be schooled, and fed in school - because education is important. But the rest of the time? Nah - that's on the parents. You shouldn't get a benefit for having kids - wages should reflect a living cost for all - they shouldn't be shit and then people with kids get a free top-up.
There is the slight issue that the kids they are targetting are the fattest in Europe.

For the handful that actually are hungry, that needs social worker intervention, for most of them, going without food would do them some good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom