Politics Coronavirus

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why all the hate for Andy Burnham? I don't understand.

What has he done? (Apart from what's currently going on)
He is trying to use more power than he actually has and crys when he gets smacked down blaming the big man. When actually he was getting exactly what other regions got but he wanted to be special. Which would have set a precedent that any local authority could push the actual government about. These Mayor positions are not really worth the paper they were create with. Just another level of red tape.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, I think people are just upset that there's a Labour leader who's standing up for the people that he represents.

I'malrightjackisms again. :(
Yeah The old dont put us into tier 3 put the whole country into lockdown thing.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
He is trying to use more power than he actually has and crys when he gets smacked down blaming the big man. When actually he was getting exactly what other regions got but he wanted to be special. Which would have set a precedent that any local authority could push the actual government about. These Mayor positions are not really worth the paper they were create with. Just another level of red tape.

I'm sorry, but when you've got a mayor who's opposing the Government, and forces the Government to negotiate with said mayor, that suggests that they're not just another level of red tape.

Complaining about Manchester receiving £5m when the Government has been giving back handers to their pals that are worth x10/x100 that is somewhat ridiculous and they've also managed to find a forest of magic money trees.

You're also suggesting that he's doing it for his own political benefit, how do you know that he's not sharing a local concern?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
These Mayor positions are not really worth the paper they were create with. Just another level of red tape.
These mayor positions were put in place to enhance local power and local voice. Burnham was using his voice.

Then he got bitch-slapped. So I wouldn't say it's red tape - I'd say it's symbolic at best and some more PR bullshit by a government that has been centralising, not devolving power - and Burnham's just shown them up.

I suspect it was absolutely in Burnham's own interest - he looks like he's fighting for his electorate - but it does show the government up somewhat, so from his point of view - win-win.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm sorry, but when you've got a mayor who's opposing the Government, and forces the Government to negotiate with said mayor, that suggests that they're not just another level of red tape.

Although government doesn't actually have to at all.

These mayor positions were put in place to enhance local power and local voice. Burnham was using his voice.

Then he got bitch-slapped. So I wouldn't say it's red tape - I'd say it's symbolic at best and some more PR bullshit by a government that has been centralising, not devolving power - and Burnham's just shown them up.

I suspect it was absolutely in Burnham's own interest - he looks like he's fighting for his electorate - but it does show the government up somewhat, so from his point of view - win-win.

I don't think he did in the end, it was a weak hand from the beginning and personally he came across as disingenuous on a few of his comments. The first was when he tried to claim it wasn't about money, the second was him referring to Manchester as a canary when it mentioned in the news down here that Manchester has more cases than the whole of the South West and South East combined....that is even with the students in Exeter University passing it around with home parties.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As you know Im Tory through and through, but its refreshing to see the start of a fightback and an actual labour politician with a spine on the cutting edge.
Wether or not hes showboating for his career...he a billion times better than that maggot Khan.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not that theres anything wrong with making it up as you go along, just to be clear though, that is what is happening.
Nah. The wanker who owns the gym was getting right feisty - and was closing in on 2m views on social media (part of the reason he was getting feisty - lots of social media can be nice).

So they ditched the gym ban. Part of the problem for government is that there isn't a lot of good quality evidence on gyms - so when people get fighty they back down.

But lets face it - breathing hard, sweating a lot. Transmission nightmare.

I'd steer clear. If your mental health is taking a toll then the gym isn't the only place you can exercise.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think there may well come a point that we just have to accept it and perhaps there will be some sort of herd immunity, eventually. Lots of people get it and have no symptoms, probably far more than those that show symptoms.

It may drive people to lead healthier, active and more outdoors lifestyles.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I think there may well come a point that we just have to accept it and perhaps there will be some sort of herd immunity, eventually. Lots of people get it and have no symptoms, probably far more than those that show symptoms.

It may drive people to lead healthier, active and more outdoors lifestyles.

Sounds like the way every other pandemic has ended tbh. Russian, Spanish and Hong Kong Flus are all still rattling around every winter, just as this one will do. The Russian one is especially interesting, as recent research have suggested it wasn't a flu at all, but Coronavirus OC43. You or I know this as the common cold.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Job

Oh I see.
Graph is useless because were not comparing the correct data groups to hide the story.

Job

As you can see if you filter out inconvenient plots you can tell any story you want.

You dont want to add Finland Norway..you want to take way the rest of Europe.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
As you can see if you filter out inconvenient plots you can tell any story you want.

You certainly don't want to remove the 2 countries most comparable to Sweden lol.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Oh I see.
Graph is useless because were not comparing the correct data groups to hide the story.

Also

"were" vs "we're"

They were? Or we're (we are)

dysfunction

FH is my second home

You want to make stuff up to suit your crazy ideas

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh I see.
If you go to their site, select "cumulative deaths" then per million they work out identically. If you look at Norway and Finland they're nowhere to be seen comparative to their nearest neighbour.

I know. First thing I did was check the dataset to understand what the numbers represented.

When you're putting data together it is important to understand what you're comparing and why - otherwise the information you're presenting is not representative of a true picture.

Considering you don't understand that "bank" and "no bank" isn't the same thing then I think we can safely say that you don't understand the graph you put together.

Edit: And for the record - I don't have a "story" I want to represent. I only care about finding out what is actually happening.

You're the one with the agenda. If you'd posted a meaningful dataset people would have gone "woah! Job in making sense shocker!" not "you're a cunt".

Ormorof

FH is my second home
As @Yoni has explained countless times its not like Sweden has taken a "fuck it lets do nothing" approach, theres been widespread remote working policies in place, as well as guidelines to increase social distancing, and because of social cohesion it seems to be working, due to checks and balances the gov there doesn't actually have any right to impose restrictions legally (they didn't bin Finland either but legislated to give themselves the option to do so with sunset clauses). That said in effect measure are now similar to neighbouring countries, the main difference was earlier when Denmark, Norway, and Finland shut restaurants, bars and other public places. But all of those countries have been open for months now.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I know. First thing I did was check the dataset to understand what the numbers represented.

When you're putting data together it is important to understand what you're comparing and why - otherwise the information you're presenting is not representative of a true picture.

Story of my life today. Management accountant has produced some forecasts that are clearly millions of pounds out but because he doesn't understand the data behind it he can't say why, so I've got to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom