Politics Coronavirus

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
And the russians. With their already vaccine

That's because they're playing let's bait the rest of the world into thinking we'll have a working vaccine very quickly so our economy will recover quickest so they all do the same thing and fuck up.

Standard Putin stuff.

Trump fell for it. :D

Can you imagine the law suits the American government would face if they fucked up? Compared to how many Putin would face?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Bet they've received a massive chunk of the shit arts covid funding.

Imagine what £18m would mean to all the hundreds of small venues that aren't sitting on such assets.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Just looking at the flu vaccine, interesting to see it wasnt effective in people over 65 in 2013

Wtf.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Just looking at the flu vaccine, interesting to see it wasnt effective in people over 65 in 2013

Wtf.

Glad you're catching up on old news...

Why do you keep going on about flu in this thread?
You do know they are not the same thing right? You have been told 100 times before.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He doesn't know the difference, that has been established.

virus = virus...

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Parts of NYC going back into lock down Wednesday. My neighborhood is not on the list, but as those areas close down, people will gravitate towards the parts that are still open, spreading Covid-19 even more.

:(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hmm. What's the most irresponsible thing Trump could possibly say as he announces he's leaving the hospital?

Oh right, exactly what he said...

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well it seems he wants to reduce his votes by killing his supporters.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's a spreadsheet, essentially a detailed list, which makes it even more fucking stupid.

Any old database off the shelf would have been better suited.

Every company has the odd blip where some over reaching middle-manager comes up with some stupid fucking idea that faceplants swiftly. This is a government ffs.

Last edited:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
And their solution is apparently to split the big Excel sheet up into lots of smaller Excel sheets.

Micro(soft)service architecture? :D

Gotta use Excel so you can get those sweet Crystal Reports pdfs

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I always worry about that though.

Ordinarily I would agree, but they aren't shutting down opinion, they are shutting down loons that (for example) suggest drinking fish tank cleaner will cure the rona and aids in one swig.

...which obviously upsets @Job et al.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
And their solution is apparently to split the big Excel sheet up into lots of smaller Excel sheets.
I guess adding another tab hasn't made it to government IT yet ;)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
It's not government though is it. Taxpayers paid a private firm to be shit.

It's literally in the 2nd line of the article - " And it appears that Public Health England (PHE) was to blame, rather than a third-party contractor. "

Private companies send CSV file to PHE, PHE use .xls format instead of .xlsx, chaos ensues.

Most databases would be able to read the CSV file directly, but that can take a couple of weeks to set up (assuming they have a DB ready to go they can use) - so as a quick fix, I don't see the issue with using Excel whilst something better is set up, but ffs, at least use it properly.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I didn't read that article. In the one I read the problem was caused by using columns per case rather than rows.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's literally in the 2nd line of the article - " And it appears that Public Health England (PHE) was to blame, rather than a third-party contractor. "

Private companies send CSV file to PHE, PHE use .xls format instead of .xlsx, chaos ensues.

Most databases would be able to read the CSV file directly, but that can take a couple of weeks to set up (assuming they have a DB ready to go they can use) - so as a quick fix, I don't see the issue with using Excel whilst something better is set up, but ffs, at least use it properly.
You can setup a database with the excel structure in minutes. And remove the limits altogether.

would take longer to make it relational. But a single table would function better than an excel spreadsheet and not have limits in size. Can partition the big table to make it more efficient to query. Simples.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Oh here we go again...more of your bullshit

He is actually right in this instance however - Deaths / Number of Infections is the IFR, or Infection Fatality Rate - which going by the WHO's numbers is around 0.125.

It is a touch lower than I have seen in other studies - for eg Estimating the infection fatality ratio in England - CEBM - we more typically see it around 0.3 - 0.4, but they are at pains to point out it is an estimate.

That other winter illness that must not be named is typically around 0.1-0.2 % IFR for reference. So COVID could be a touch higher, but not worth all the mass hysteria, general bedwetting and turning off Western Civilisation for what is basically a nasty cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom