Politics Coronavirus

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's not a shortage of kits, despite what the government says, it is a shortage of logistics nous. I imagine the digital marketing company* that has been given the distribution contract has done very well though.

*probably.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You bad lad @Job ;)

Kind of a misleading click bait headline. Not arrested cause of the mask. But the assault and all. All he had to say was i have medical issues or something anyway. Not sure there is a list of medical conditions or disabilities that anyone can question.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
So the Guardian and covid
Its all governments, tories, incompetence...minorities....bame in the nhs.

They they send some hopeless liberal romantic to Africa and it starts with all birdsong and resilience before admitting the shitshow.
They are a fucking parody of themselves.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They they send some hopeless liberal romantic to Africa and it starts with all birdsong and resilience before admitting the shitshow.

What exactly about the correspondant saying it's been awful there offends you?

It's just what it is?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So the Guardian and covid
Its all governments, tories, incompetence...minorities....bame in the nhs.

'Did you read it?' seems a bit of a silly question here; of course you didn't read it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What are the chances that the person they sent to Africa happened to be their Africa correspondent? What a mad coincidence.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You need to get in your polluting cars and burn your life up in wasted time traveling to city centres so you can go out at lunchtime and spend more money on shit you don't really need, at great personal expense to yourself and to the detriment of the environment and yours and others physical health - you lazy and soon-to-be-out-of-work fuckers.

Edit:
Sandwich chain Pret A Manger plans to cut 3,000 jobs - a third of its workforce - while Upper Crust-owner SSP Group has said it will axe up to 5,000 jobs.

So?

They sell junk shit. Why should we be forced back into offices that we don't need to go to to do our jobs, at great personal expense, simply because our idiot government hasn't done it's due diligence and prepared the economy for the impacts of the internet?

We should have been transitioning away from city centres for the past 30 years - and planning, building infrastructure and preparing for this inevitable eventuality for this exact reason.

The fact that government hasn't bothered to think and prepare for new ways of working doesn't mean that we should be forced back into offices.

"Fuck you" should be the answer from business and people. If people need, absolutely need, to go into offices then fair enough.

I think the tories are probably more shitting themselves because (their) investment in commercial property is falling through the floor as the world has woken up to the fact that we don't fucking need offices any more.

Last edited:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You need to get in your polluting cars and burn your life up in wasted time traveling to city centres so you can go out at lunchtime and spend more money on shit you don't really need, at great personal expense to yourself and to the detriment of the environment and yours and others physical health - you lazy and soon-to-be-out-of-work fuckers.

Edit:

So?

They sell junk shit. Why should we be forced back into offices that we don't need to go to to do our jobs, at great personal expense, simply because our idiot government hasn't done it's due diligence and prepared the economy for the impacts of the internet?

We should have been transitioning away from city centres for the past 30 years - and planning, building infrastructure and preparing for this inevitable eventuality for this exact reason.

The fact that government hasn't bothered to think and prepare for new ways of working doesn't mean that we should be forced back into offices.

"Fuck you" should be the answer from business and people. If people need, absolutely need, to go into offices then fair enough.

I think the tories are probably more shitting themselves because (their) investment in commercial property is falling through the floor as the world has woken up to the fact that we don't fucking need offices any more.

The same goes for every Government around the world, this working from home is viable has caught them all unawares and Covid-19 just accelerated that by a few years.

The same applies to online shopping, if you invested in brick and mortar tough fucking shit. High street retail has been declining for fucking years. Food shops should have offered better delivery options rather than expecting ppl to wander down to them. Why do you think ubereats, deliveroo and just-eat are worth so much?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I think it was rather obvious that this was going to be a consequence of covid, but as I've said before, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. @Deebs is right - there's no reason for these companies not to have delivery options. I know a bloke who rented a very expensive unit from Tesco (next to a massive shop) and he found that most of his orders were online, so he's built a proper kitchen in his garden to work out of instead.

That's just evolution of business, the high street won't disappear, it'll evolve, and if that means diminishing the high street so that the landlords realise they can't charge the earth anymore, so be it.

@Scouse I also think it's the blaming game too, they're scrambling pretty hard to find lots of economic consequences that they can claim no responsibility for and pushing the blame onto the public, because things aren't going to be better in the new year.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agree. But @Embattle managed to emote to it.

Come on Emb. This isn't something that's been done to death. Or do you auto-emote anything critical of the tories?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Agree. But @Embattle managed to emote to it.

Come on Emb. This isn't something that's been done to death. Or do you auto-emote anything critical of the tories?
But to be honest this isn't just about the Tories. It is about every government and businesses failing to see the impact of the internet and the possible future changes it will bring.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
But to be honest this isn't just about the Tories. It is about every government and businesses failing to see the impact of the internet and the possible future changes it will bring.

Well, it appears that our economy is taking more of a dive than other Western countries.

It may well be because we have more people that can work at home than other countries (Germany for example) but I'm not sure many Government's are pushing the blame of it on their population rather than actively trying to do something to fix the issue.

Everything the Government has done so far to 'help out' is aimed at helping out big businesses on the high street, rather than the businesses that are way more useful for the economy all around.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well, it appears that our economy is taking more of a dive than other Western countries.

It may well be because we have more people that can work at home than other countries (Germany for example) but I'm not sure many Government's are pushing the blame of it on their population rather than actively trying to do something to fix the issue.
Personally I think the CBI are applying pressure and in this instance my view of the Government's message to get back into an office is "FUCK RIGHT OFF". Also surprised that investment fund managers haven't put their 2 penneth into the pot telling us our pensions are going to be fucked if we don't get back into the city offices.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I think it's the commercial landlords who are Tory donors pushing this. They see the rental values of their office space and high street properties falling off a cliff.

Ironically if the Tories were still free-marketeers they'd welcome the market adjusting to new realities rather than desperately throwing public money at the problem to help out their mates.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Edit:

So?

8,000 people getting sent to the dole queue, and Mr "Poverty is the cause of everything" is like - so? Bit of mask slippage there old chap - gainful employment and making a bit of cash is good, as long as you aren't serving rich people and/or Tories whilst you're doing it - then you can go on the scrap heap.

We see you.

Personally I'm quite looking forward to going back to the office, as unlike most people on this board, I actually like social interaction, and being stuck in the same home office for the last 6 months is getting a bit dull. Sure it's great I don't have to drive 45 mins in the morning, but whilst we are still productive there is loads missing from limited interaction. You can be more candid or find more projects from chatting round the coffee machine / smoking area than you ever can on a Google Meet call. I wouldn't go to 5 days a week in there (as I didn't before the Chinese got all bat munchy) but a couple a week would be perfect.

I suspect the Tories are more shitting themselves as they know how much of the Pension market is invested in Commercial Property, which would affect anyone in the Private Sector looking to retire at any point. The Public Sector will be alright jack, but that's quite tough to fund if the Private Sector is on it's arse.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agree, but the most noise about it has happened in the last 15 years - increasing year on year calls for systemic change - the requirements for which have become more and more clear (and bleeding obvious) since we knew what the internet has meant for us.

And last time I looked - the Tories have been in power for a decade and are supposed to be the "competent" ones.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Agree, but the most noise about it has happened in the last 15 years - increasing year on year calls for systemic change - the requirements for which have become more and more clear (and bleeding obvious) since we knew what the internet has meant for us.

And last time I looked - the Tories have been in power for a decade and are supposed to be the "competent" ones.
Governments should not be the ones to tell Businesses how to adapt to changes within their operating space.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Edit:

So?

This whole get everyone back to cities is crap. If ppl can work from home and the companies are happy with it then the government can fuck off. Businesses and sectors come and go. Services that are not required any more need to disappear and new more appropriate ones emerge. Cannot dictate where people work because thats what we used to do.

better for environmental usage. Loads less aircon used and transport needed. Millions less plastic coffee cups and over prices sandwiches. I dont feel sorry for pret charging 8 quid for humous and some carrot sticks.

a correction needs to be made. Much like the one with the coal industry in the 80s

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
8,000 people getting sent to the dole queue, and Mr "Poverty is the cause of everything" is like - so? Bit of mask slippage there old chap - gainful employment and making a bit of cash is good, as long as you aren't serving rich people and/or Tories whilst you're doing it - then you can go on the scrap heap.

We see you.

Personally I'm quite looking forward to going back to the office, as unlike most people on this board, I actually like social interaction, and being stuck in the same home office for the last 6 months is getting a bit dull. Sure it's great I don't have to drive 45 mins in the morning, but whilst we are still productive there is loads missing from limited interaction. You can be more candid or find more projects from chatting round the coffee machine / smoking area than you ever can on a Google Meet call. I wouldn't go to 5 days a week in there (as I didn't before the Chinese got all bat munchy) but a couple a week would be perfect.

I suspect the Tories are more shitting themselves as they know how much of the Pension market is invested in Commercial Property, which would affect anyone in the Private Sector looking to retire at any point. The Public Sector will be alright jack, but that's quite tough to fund if the Private Sector is on it's arse.
I see many many posts on twitter commenting about all these nudge messages about how great the office is. 90% are telling them to fuck off.
all those people who used to spend hours of their life on trains and all have suddenly found a freedom that means they are not completely knackered by the weekend.

viva the people. Tbh.
and per @Deebs i agree it isnt a Tory only issue its an issue that is establishment driven and they are shitting themselves.

but its not just the rich that need to worry how the correction is done cause many pensions are invested into areas that rely on this. It could be rocky for a while.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

Edit:

So?

100 fucking percent.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

We see you.

I want to go back to the office too, but, I definitely don't think Dominic Raab or any other Tory gives a shit about anything other than their own commercial well-being; their piggy bank , property portfolio country is at risk so the peons need to get back to help them justify all those commercial property rents.

NB. Unlike @Scouse, I would rather like to see cities survive; I like pubs and restaurants if nothing else.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I want to go back to the office too, but, I definitely don't think Dominic Raab or any other Tory gives a shit about anything other than their own commercial well-being; their piggy bank , property portfolio country is at risk so the peons need to get back to help them justify all those commercial property rents.

NB. Unlike @Scouse, I would rather like to see cities survive; I like pubs and restaurants if nothing else.
It would distribute jobs more. Pubs and restaurants would be more viable in other areas and not just the big city centres

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Governments should not be the ones to tell Businesses how to adapt to changes within their operating space.
Agree - but governments invest in infrastructure that influences where business is done.

HS2 post covid? Why, pray tell, when Canary Wharf is going to be empty?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Agree - but governments invest in infrastructure that influences where business is done.

HS2 post covid? Why, pray tell, when Canary Wharf is going to be empty?
Big infrastructure projects make jobs making them. There are plenty of hardly used motorways and shiny new rail lines in spain to stand testament to that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think, environmentally speaking, cities have to survive.

City Centres as a concept, however, need to die.

You get much more value out of distributed cities with multiple cultural "mini-central zones" rather than a big ring of suburban hell and carnage into the centre. And the experience is more local (and walkable) too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom