Politics Coronavirus

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
It is their own fault - I do not feel sorry for any of them at all. Again the richer travellers will be ok as they can either work from home (or France) so will not give a toss (i mean why if you can work form home would you not take your laptop with you incase you got stuck given the current cirumstances? I have requested that all my employees if they have gone abroad (there are only 3 that have left the country and 2 of them have homes in the country they visted) to take their laptop. One of them has been at their parents in Greece since mid June (they came back end of July)....

To those that are unprepared boo fucking hoo..... it is a pandemic if you thought that travelling would be as smooth as before then you are idiotic... even the tour operators are cancelling holidays due to increased requirements. All holidays to Greece with Ving (swedish equivalent of TUI) have been cancelled until mid October.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Disagree.

The response they want is "get out of France - quick".

If they said "and you have to quarantine" then most people would say "well I'm going to finish my fucking holiday then".

So get out quick, and you don't have to quarantine is designed to achieve getting maximum people out of france as quickly as possible.

Being in France is the no.1 danger.

So you fix that and manage the fallout.

Entirely correct messaging IMO - if what you want to achieve is the highest amount of people leaving France in the shortest possible timeframe.
Disagree.

By creating a situation where there's a panic to get back, they're increasing the chances of people bringing the virus back with them. A frantic rush to get back, probably with less thought given to social distancing and the like... overcrowded airports, ferry ports and train stations... Anyone who has the virus will likely give it to others at some point on the journey back and they'll all rush home, thankful that they don't have to quarantine but possibly carrying the virus themselves. Whereas if they'd instantly brought the quarantine in, people would stay for the remainder of their holidays and return in a more orderly fashion, quarantine for 2 weeks to confirm that they don't have it and then return to work/society.

I think it's insane to be pissing about going on holiday internationally in the midst of a pandemic, especially if they can't afford to miss work by being quarantined (as I've seen some people say in coverage today), but by creating this stampede they're getting people back quicker but at what cost? They won't need to quarantine and they won't be tested on entry so they have no idea who is bringing the virus back into the country and taking it to every corner.

There's debate as to whether a blanket quarantine on re-entry is even the right way to go. Other countries are testing at airports but typically, the UK decided to do it differently.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Thats so bad that joke. Lol

You are correct, and let's be honest, it is no laughing matter.

Anyway, good to see the Government's Snack and Trace system working well.

(I've got fucking loads of these btw)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You are correct, and let's be honest, it is no laughing matter.

Anyway, good to see the Government's Snack and Trace system working well.

(I've got fucking loads of these btw)
Please feel free to keep them to yourself haha

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Imagine your dreams being ruined because your Government decides to be complete arseholes.

'We'll pay for your appeal though!!'

I don't even understand how you appeal - usually when you appeal you get your exam papers remarked, how would you appeal this?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Imagine your dreams being ruined because your Government decides to be complete arseholes.

I don't even understand how you appeal - usually when you appeal you get your exam papers remarked, how would you appeal this?
What you fail to mention is that if only teacher grades were taken the passes would have gone up by 12 or more percent this year. Basically devaluing the grades and giving universities and employers an issue.

even with the down grades there are more passes this year than ever.

there are always those who dont meet their predicted grades even when they take the exams In normal years.

they all have the option to retake an actual exam if they feel the grades dont match.

the only other option is to give everyone an A* so no one can complain.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The Russians have a vaccine ready to go. Would you trust it? Or would you rather wait for an American, British or European vaccine to pass the trial?

I wouldn't touch it until it gets a green light from none Russian doctors from multiple nations.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

The entire way they've handled the exam marking so far is just fucking shambles. It should be reversed and the grades should be scrapped because its an utterly shit way of grading.

I can genuinely see a rise in suicides by people that have been fucked over by this if they don't do something about it.

Yoni

Stop being an absolute ass - seriously your personal time out seems to have made you more of an ass than you were before - there is a point to be made here so not complete tosh... The issue needs to be addressed is for the proportion of kids who are not in great schools who have been fucked over that will not equate to the teachers reviews.

Gwadien

Stop being an absolute ass - seriously your personal time out seems to have made you more of an ass than you were before - there is a point to be made here so not complete tosh... The issue needs to be addressed is for the proportion of kids who are not in great schools who have been fucked over that will not equate to the teachers reviews.

So you're agreeing with me, but because it's me, you're disagreeing with me.

RIIIGHTT.

Moriath and Embattle defend EVERYTHING that's Tory on this forum, you can't deny that.

You can call me out all your want, but I find your little behaviour policing force even more pathetic :)

Gwadien

I get universities look at grades but do any employers?

Apart from 'have you got this degree/qualification?' No, not really.

That's why it's a problem primarily for Universities, because the Government has picked a number which is mainly based on how good your school was (If it's a shit school, your grade is lower, if it's a good school, your grade is higher).

What's funny about it though is that most kids have missed almost 1/4 of their entire A-level (16-18) qualification, so it's not like Universities will have to cover more content then they have previously for these students.

The solution is to say to all Unis that (space willing, but space in unis isn't really a problem in the UK as they're now a business) you will accept everyone that you gave a conditional offer and put them through a foundation year of University, paid by the Government.

This whole thing about 'inflating grades' is bullshit of the highest order.

Oxford University announced that they're going to accept everyone regardless of their grades, because guess where most of their students come from, and they don't really care who fills in the 'poor quota'

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's not University of Oxford, it's an Oxford university. Worcester College, Oxford have accepted people based on offer.

The whole thing is a typical Tory shit show though.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Read up on it a bit more and it seems the excuse for why its shit is "the same person grading the same paper only has a 70% chance of giving it same grade so its all random anyway" lol.

So why cant the universities do entrance exams?

Gwadien

Read up on it a bit more and it seems the excuse for why its shit is "the same person grading the same paper only has a 70% chance of giving it same grade so its all random anyway" lol.

So why cant the universities do entrance exams?

Yeah exactly. Which is why I question how they're going to allow students to appeal their grades when there isn't anything to remark, it's weird.

I dunno, as I've said before our Government saif we'd be a leading nation in many things in regards to Covid, but all they seem to be doing is giving out mixed messages, playing catch up with other nations and generally pissing people off.

I just don't know how the government has the right to grade kids so negatively when the ball is entirely in their court.

Im not sure why we don't have entrance exams, but I don't think that would solve much. As I say, lots of kids have missed out large chunks of their courses and as schools will teach subjects differently its not like there's one area that all kids are missing, it will be different things. So the sensible solution would be to have a free foundation year so everyone will be on the same page. Having a entrance exam will see wealthier kids doing well and poorer kids doing worse, because of family educational values etc.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
It is amusing how in many interviews officials and MPs have spoken how we cannot judge the Government and organisations on success or failure during this time as it is an unprecedented time and an unforseen challenge that no one was prepared for. Yet the same did not apply for the children.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Look, they're really very sorry and lets draw a line in the sand and move on.

Yoni

So you're agreeing with me, but because it's me, you're disagreeing with me.

RIIIGHTT.

Moriath and Embattle defend EVERYTHING that's Tory on this forum, you can't deny that.

You can call me out all your want, but I find your little behaviour policing force even more pathetic :)
I am not a policing force - I do however think you are a generally uninformed bandwagon riding idiot....

Gwadien

I am not a policing force - I do however think you are a generally uninformed bandwagon riding idiot....

Do me a solid, go through all our forum interactions then think why I find it funny you calling me out.

Literally every interaction is you having a pop at me personally in some way or another.

Lots of people have done much worse than me in the past yet you've never called them out.

And I'm not talking about the past couple of months, I'm talking pretty much since forever.

I dunno what your issue is but it is rather obsessive.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Its nothing to do with Tories from my point of view its the same situation with labour or anyone else. There isnt a way that is fair to all. Thats what taking exams does.
even then exams i disagree with because they disadvantage those who stress or get anxious or freeze.

but its the chosen method that most go with.

my point and its not a tory point is how do you give grades out without devaluing them when you are always gonna have some people screaming its un fair. Any one who percieves they lost out will be upset.

appealing all the upset people and getting their grades raised will devalue the system even more because if you do that for all those who were predicted by their schools you end up with 20% more with higher grades.

the universities dont have 20% more places. How do they differentiate between people?

the solution for me is as workable as you can Be in this situation.

apparently the mock exams are not as controlled and different schools have different marking strats. So predicited from mocks isnt reliable. Either and you would get the same issue with too many passing.

resitting if you havent got what you wanted happens anyway and gives those who think they are hard done by a way to get the marks they want Without subjective process.

you really just have one defence when someone tries to debate something with you. Tories or tantrum.

Gwadien

Its nothing to do with Tories from my point of view its the same situation with labour or anyone else. There isnt a way that is fair to all. Thats what taking exams does.
even then exams i disagree with because they disadvantage those who stress or get anxious or freeze.

but its the chosen method that most go with.

my point and its not a tory point is how do you give grades out without devaluing them when you are always gonna have some people screaming its un fair. Any one who percieves they lost out will be upset.

appealing all the upset people and getting their grades raised will devalue the system even more because if you do that for all those who were predicted by their schools you end up with 20% more with higher grades.

the universities dont have 20% more places. How do they differentiate between people?

the solution for me is as workable as you can Be in this situation.

apparently the mock exams are not as controlled and different schools have different marking strats. So predicited from mocks isnt reliable. Either and you would get the same issue with too many passing.

resitting if you havent got what you wanted happens anyway and gives those who think they are hard done by a way to get the marks they want Without subjective process.

you really just have one defence when someone tries to debate something with you. Tories or tantrum.

Nothing to do with the Tories?

You literally repeated what the minister said as his justification, lmao.

'Yes, this is gospel'

OK, if you want a debate, tell me what harm 'inflating grades' will have.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Ordinarily there shouldn't be inflated grades but seeing as kids have had a fucked enough year, I don't think it's right to pour more on.

Gwadien

Ordinarily there shouldn't be inflated grades but seeing as kids have had a fucked enough year, I don't think it's right to pour more on.

Grades are inflated/deflated every year anyway - if everyone sitting a History exam does poorly, the grade boundaries are pulled way down, and visa versa.

That's why the idea of 'inflating' grades is bullshit, the exam boards/Government mess around with them every year anyway.

I'll say it again, kids are getting grades according to how well their school has done previously, if that doesn't raise alarm bells, then I don't know what should.

The UoLeicester has announced they're letting kids on their mock exams results - which is fairer, but who try hards their mock exams? like 10% of kids?

Again, Universities leading the way and the Government following them.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My only problem is the -2/-3 grades seems massively harsh and improbable even with teachers possibly padding marks, but then there is a appeal route people can take.

The notion just to go with those marks would without question cause some raised eyebrows by employers, etc. even more so than they have over the last few decades.

Gwadien

My only problem is the -2/-3 grades seems massively harsh and improbable even with teachers possibly padding marks, but then there is a appeal route people can take.

The notion just to go with those marks would without question cause some raised eyebrows by employers, etc. even more so than they have over the last few decades.

You can appeal if you have not had a mock exam, you can't appeal if you haven't had a mock exam.

The problem is that lots of schools use a mock exam as just that - a mock exam, it's mostly there so kids get used to the environment and what it's like to sit an exam paper, obviously exam conditions are set etc, but the vast vast majority of kids don't take them seriously.

But I can tell you who will take mock exams seriously....

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Well if we have to keep the percentages down why not switch it and increase the grades for the more disadvantaged children and decrease them for the more advantaged children?. Atleast the children from more advantaged backgrounds will often have parents/carers/family that can more than make up for lower grades with their finances and connections.

Yoni

Well if we have to keep the percentages down why not switch it and increase the grades for the more disadvantaged children and decrease them for the more advantaged children?. Atleast the children from more advantaged backgrounds will often have parents/carers/family that can more than make up for lower grades with their finances and connections.
I agree that the disadvantaged kids who have been predicted top grades throughout their exam years should be swapped out for those who have been given an advantage due to their school being private or in the right area. What can not be allowed to happen is that for these kids to go through the early part of their lives or career being told that their qualifications are not worth anything because they got a free pass.....OR that they cant go to uni because they went to school in the wrong postcode.

For "real" boarderline cases ie ones which were touch and go universities should accept them and maybe they can take the exams that they did not get the relevant grade for in the Autumn - surely this can be done in a socially distance way ie there cant be that many in this group?

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I think no matter what we all think or want, the children from this year group WILL be judged and treated differently by those around them. Maybe this should have been an outside of the box solution and let them all go to university but all have to do some form of a foundation year with an exam at the end to help make sure only those that are capable can carry on. Or maybe some form of an agreement between employers/goverment and young people that lets them onto the University Course despite the grades but in return they pay this back by helping out with those jobs like the seasonal ones that we have all read about struggling due to no workers. Increased class sizes doesnt need to be an issue as many Universities have shown they can run their courses online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom